IndiaDivine.org

Why did you become a vegan?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all,

I was thinking it might be interesting to hear why us vegans became vegans (those who've been on the list for a while probably have already talked about this, so hope you don't mind briefly repeating it? : - )

I went vegitarian when I was 16. I must confess at the time it was more an image thing where I was conforming with a group I mixed with at college. At first I don't think I focused so much on the cruelty, but just on how disgusting it is to eat animal flesh. What I now find a bit embarressing is that initially I still ate fish. But not for long. The next thing I started to feel disgusted about was eggs. When making a cake, I would spend ages trying to spoon out that tiny embryo blob in the egg white, I didn't like the idea of eating it. Next thing I went off was cheese. There was something sickly about the smell of it melting when making cheese on toast. I didn't like to think that these products came from animals bodies. It was as disgusting as the thought of drinking breast milk from a female human (ok I didn't think like that as a baby ; - )

By the time I was 21, compassion for animals had well set in. A vegan friend of a friend handed me some leaflets about the dairy industry, and I was horrified. How could we be so ignorant at what was going on?! I mean, how many people out there (like me once) believe that cows just produce milk all the time, regardless of whether they're pregnant or not?!!!

Without a second thought I became a vegan. The main reason being for the animals. That reason was way up there in the clouds, and other benefits like health and environmental were just great side effects. Now, environmental reason is very close to the animals and health is getting nearer. But animals will always be the main reason I'm a vegan.

Jak

human breast milk ... disgusting? ... what a strange description...

nothing wrong with drinking human milk from a female breast ... so long as she allows you to ... there's something rather vulgar however to clasping one's lips around a cow's udder however... slurp slurp...

Jak [jak.remec]

think that these products came from animals bodies. It was as disgusting as the thought of drinking breast milk from a female human (ok I didn't think like that as a baby ; - )

Hi Oliver,

> human breast milk ... disgusting? ... what a strange description...

disgusting as in " Yuk " food taste wise, not disgusting as a judgement. It seems

ludicrous to me that we would turn our noses up at human milk compared to cows

milk, but picture this scene. A waiter in a cafe asks the customer " would you

like cows milk or human milk in your coffee? " What would most peoples' reaction,

in our society, be to that? They would be disgusted at the thought of human

milk. In my email I was just being honest about the change in attitude I had,

where I saw cows milk in the same light as milk coming from a human female.

Animal bodily fluid which didn't appetise me and still doesn't. I don't think

it's meant to be appetising, as milk is designed for babies.

> nothing wrong with drinking human milk from a female breast ... so long

> as she allows you to ... there's something rather vulgar however to

> clasping one's lips around a cow's udder however... slurp slurp...

I completely agree, I wouldn't be in this group if I didn't. As I was saying

'though, milk is designed for a species young. Perhaps what you are touching on

is akin to the desire for a male to suckle from his female - a loving sexual

bond between partners. Other than that there is no need for adults to have

breast milk or any milk. I think most people would not desire to suckle milk

from human or animal, but they would desire to bite into a succulent apple.

But for me, as an adult, it's still a " YUK! " to have some human milk. I was just

noting the change where that " YUK! " also began to apply to having any other

species milk. Again I will emphasise that I mean " YUK! " and " disgusting " in a

food taste way, not in a judgemental way. I think human milk is wonderful for

babies, and cows milk is wonderful for calves.

Jak

--------

Email provided by http://www.ntlhome.com/

human breast milk ... disgusting? ... what a strange description...

nothing wrong with drinking human milk from a female breast ... so long as she allows you to ... there's something rather vulgar however to clasping one's lips around a cow's udder however... slurp slurp...

Jak [jak.remec]

think that these products came from animals bodies. It was as disgusting as the thought of drinking breast milk from a female human (ok I didn't think like that as a baby ; - )

~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,

there may be another side to the story you have not heard.

---------------------------

Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>

Un: send a blank message to -

I was taken from my mum when I was born (for adoption) so never tried breast milk. The first time my friend expressed and bottled breast milk for her new born she asked if I wanted to try some. Guess what? Disgusting - no, not the right word, just being objective about taste! You've got to be a baby to appreciate it! (Or a big baby with a serious titty turn-on!!). But I'd rather have it in my coffee than cow's milk any day!!

PS I hardly ever visit here, sorry to poke my nose in, couldn't help it.jak.remec wrote:

Hi Oliver,> human breast milk ... disgusting? ... what a strange description...disgusting as in "Yuk" food taste wise, not disgusting as a judgement. It seems ludicrous to me that we would turn our noses up at human milk compared to cows milk, but picture this scene. A waiter in a cafe asks the customer "would you like cows milk or human milk in your coffee?" What would most peoples' reaction, in our society, be to that? They would be disgusted at the thought of human milk. In my email I was just being honest about the change in attitude I had, where I saw cows milk in the same light as milk coming from a human female. Animal bodily fluid which didn't appetise me and still doesn't. I don't think it's meant to be appetising, as milk is designed for babies. > nothing wrong with drinking human milk from a female breast

.... so long> as she allows you to ... there's something rather vulgar however to> clasping one's lips around a cow's udder however... slurp slurp...I completely agree, I wouldn't be in this group if I didn't. As I was saying 'though, milk is designed for a species young. Perhaps what you are touching on is akin to the desire for a male to suckle from his female - a loving sexual bond between partners. Other than that there is no need for adults to have breast milk or any milk. I think most people would not desire to suckle milk from human or animal, but they would desire to bite into a succulent apple. But for me, as an adult, it's still a "YUK!" to have some human milk. I was just noting the change where that "YUK!" also began to apply to having any other species milk. Again I will emphasise that I mean "YUK!" and "disgusting" in a food taste way, not in a judgemental way. I think human milk is wonderful for babies, and cows milk is

wonderful for calves.Jak--------Email provided by http://www.ntlhome.com/~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

i think the first time i had soya milk i thought it tasted slightly yuk ... and rice milk ... like all milks they initially have a yuk factor ... but you get used to them ...

wendy shapiro [wendyzshapiro]

I was taken from my mum when I was born (for adoption) so never tried breast milk. The first time my friend expressed and bottled breast milk for her new born she asked if I wanted to try some. Guess what? Disgusting - no, not the right word, just being objective about taste! You've got to be a baby to appreciate it! (Or a big baby with a serious titty turn-on!!). But I'd rather have it in my coffee than cow's milk any day!!

PS I hardly ever visit here, sorry to poke my nose in, couldn't help it.

if they were offering human milk in a cafe then there are either of two possibly massive problems there...

1) that human milk is widely available and therefore humans are being farmed...

2) that the cafe is run by a eccentric weirdo who uses his partner for his own financial gain ...

my answer however is simple ... i don't drink coffee... but i guess that's not the right answer to your hypothetical question... :-)

jak.remec [jak.remec] disgusting as in "Yuk" food taste wise, not disgusting as a judgement. It seems ludicrous to me that we would turn our noses up at human milk compared to cows milk, but picture this scene. A waiter in a cafe asks the customer "would you like cows milk or human milk in your coffee?" What would most peoples' reaction, in our society, be to that? They would be disgusted at the thought of human milk. In my email I was just being honest about the change in attitude I had,

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be so late answering my mails but been unable to visit local library to

use a pc ( don`t own one), My primary reason for becoming a vegetarian and

eventually a vegan was for ethical reasons. I was a vegie for only a short time

before perfecting it and becoming a vegan. Now after being one for over 15 years

, I think I may be getting the hang of it!

By ethical reasons , my interpritation is that I believe that every animal on

this planet has a right to life, and not to be exploited for any reason by

another species.

And yes , I do have two cats ( before someone starts to pick an argument!). Both

rescue lazy lodgers who can come and go as they please.

Best to you all,

The Valley Vegan.....

> Hi all,

>

>I was thinking it might be interesting to hear why us vegans became vegans

(those who've been on the list for a while probably have already talked about

this, so hope you don't mind briefly repeating it? : - )

>

>I went vegitarian when I was 16. I must confess at the time it was more an

image thing where I was conforming with a group I mixed with at college. At

first I don't think I focused so much on the cruelty, but just on how disgusting

it is to eat animal flesh. What I now find a bit embarressing is that initially

I still ate fish. But not for long. The next thing I started to feel disgusted

about was eggs. When making a cake, I would spend ages trying to spoon out that

tiny embryo blob in the egg white, I didn't like the idea of eating it. Next

thing I went off was cheese. There was something sickly about the smell of it

melting when making cheese on toast. I didn't like to think that these products

came from animals bodies. It was as disgusting as the thought of drinking breast

milk from a female human (ok I didn't think like that as a baby ; - )

>

>By the time I was 21, compassion for animals had well set in. A vegan friend of

a friend handed me some leaflets about the dairy industry, and I was horrified.

How could we be so ignorant at what was going on?! I mean, how many people out

there (like me once) believe that cows just produce milk all the time,

regardless of whether they're pregnant or not?!!!

>

>Without a second thought I became a vegan. The main reason being for the

animals. That reason was way up there in the clouds, and other benefits like

health and environmental were just great side effects. Now, environmental reason

is very close to the animals and health is getting nearer. But animals will

always be the main reason I'm a vegan.

>

>Jak

Peter H

--------------------

talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

http://www.talk21.com