Guest guest

What is this post referring to? It would be nice if you

posted a little of the previous message with the response so

that we could keep up with the list. Thanks,

elite

Paige Ferriot [pferriot]

Monday, May 14, 2001 12:17 PM

sugar

Thank you for the information. I had no idea this was done.

Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices

http://auctions./

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest guest

The Stewarts wrote:

it's those dreaded empty calories.

Yup! That's the deal with me. Personally, I *like* sugar [turbinado,

that is!] But I was consuming large amounts of soda-pop. And I

don't like the taste of store bought diet choices...so, I had hoped to

change my home-brew over to Splenda, to lower my caloric

intake......but....the yeast can't 'feed' off it.

I like rootbeer, as well as a soda-pop made from coffee.....so what I

ended up doing was just pouring the coffee over ice, without any

sweetener at all.......it took a while to get over the 'flat' taste, but

now, I rather like it! Dropped my daily caloric intake quite

drastically!

==

http://pixxart.com

the Art of Living in Health, Peace, & Light

Guest guest

The Stewarts wrote:

I use Splenda in my flavored coffees and notice nothing but sugar

sweetness.

I guess I have a super sensitive set of taste buds.......I can tell the

difference between different brands of bottled water.......I have

been told I am weird for that!

==

Guest guest

" I guess I have a super sensitive set of taste buds.......I can tell

the

> difference between different brands of bottled water.......I have

> been told I am weird for that! "

not sure but that could be the placeebo effect more than anything.

ever give yourself a blind taste test?

Guest guest

i take that back, i forgot about all the flavored bottled waters and

whatnot. i just drink my crappy tap water because i'm cheap.

, " dave " <dave4sale>

wrote:

> " I guess I have a super sensitive set of taste buds.......I can

tell

> the

> > difference between different brands of bottled water.......I have

> > been told I am weird for that! "

>

> not sure but that could be the placeebo effect more than anything.

> ever give yourself a blind taste test?

Guest guest

>I just drink my crappy tap water because I'm cheap.

Cheap, cheap cheap!! LOL ;-)

~Janice~

Be your own cheerleader! Encourage yourself every step of the way!

" Do not blame others for making you mad. Anger is a choice. Choose wisely "

If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.

~Paul McCartney ~

Guest guest

dave wrote:

not sure but that could be the placeebo effect more than anything.

ever give yourself a blind taste test? ....i forgot about all the

flavored bottled waters.... i just drink my crappy tap water

Nope! [placebo] and Yup! [taste test]. I can't *identify* brands.....I

*can* tell that there are bitter ones, and one's that aren't.

As for the flavored ones, I don't generally drink those, but I have

tried some. but, I wasn't talking about those either!

Tap water tastes different from region to region, too! lol. generally,

I find it to be less preferable to spring water.....and sometimes it is

downright nasty tasting.

~Pixx

==

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest guest

> I'm trying to cut back both on my white sugar *and* fake sugar

> intake. I've abused both over the years. My taste buds are slowly

> adjusting to a less sweet taste, but I can't give up sweetness

> entirely. But I find the subject of sugar fairly bewildering.

>

> I see various other products in the store. Sucanet, to name one.

Sucanat is cane juice, ground up and dried.

> Turbinado sugar, which looks pretty much like brown sugar.

Yup.

Here's an article about sugars...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar#Types_of_culinary_sugar

> I know Stevia is a super sweet fake sugar that's supposed to be

> better than other kinds.

It's not really a fake sugar. It's an herb that is naturally

sweet-tasting. It does not produce the insulin swings that sugar does.

> Can someone offer guidance on this confusing subject? It's gotten

> very hot here and I want to make some sweetened ice tea that my kids

> and I can all enjoy. :-)

Good luck! :-)

• 2 years later...
Guest guest

white processed suagr is not vegan... unless it's specifically marked. It is processed and refined through the charred bones of animals.

Here is a brief article on it and well as companies that don't use the process... YAY!

http://www.vegfamily.com/articles/sugar.htm

So I use Agave Nectar! YUMMY and very low on the glycemic index so your sugar levels won't get all wonky. You can use in in place of sugar in anything...

Amie

P Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Russell <russp85 Sent: Wednesday, July 2, 2008 11:08:40 PM Re: recipes for a few light meals or snacks

> Can you recommend a vegan sugar?> Thanks.> Maureen>Not sure what you mean... maybe someone else in the group can betteranswer you...All sugars are vegan as far as I can tell... .. .

Guest guest

All cane sugars that are bleached (aka "white" sugar) use a bone char filter. Turbinado sugar (Sugar In The Raw) or evaporated cane juice (Florida Crystals) and otherwise "blonde" sugars are vegan and do not go through the bleaching process using a bone char filter.In many places, particularly in the west, most white sugar is beet sugar. Usually if it says "Cane sugar", and it is white, it has been processed using a bone char filter. Beet sugar will generally say "granulated sugar", however, I have heard that some brands mix the two kinds, rendering it non-vegan.The labels of most brands of sugars on supermarket shelves neglect to say whether what's inside is cane or beet. In some brands, the contents can vary from day to day. Cane was once the dominant sugar in U.S. markets, but within the last few years beet has taken the lead.

Beet now accounts for 55 percent of the 10 million tons of refined sugar consumed in the country each year.One reason is that beet sugar is generally cheaper to produce. It requires just one refining process at a single plant. Traditional cane refining demands two processes at two different facilities. Brown sugar can be a particular problem because of the way it's made. (*Small tangent* before I go on about that...) If you do need brown sugar for a recipe, I suggest using Sucanat (SUgar CAne NATural). It is sugar cane with only the water removed, so it has the most minimum amount of processing a sugar could have, and better yet, no bone char involved. I have used it in the past, and it has a rougher texture than regular brown sugar does and doesn't seem to dissolve as easily. So, when I do use it, what I do is put it in a coffee

grinder (a food processor works too) and grind it down a bit. It incorporates better into my recipes that way. Another product called Rapadura (made by Rapunzel) is basically just that, but it is harder to find and it seems like it is more expensive than Sucanat. SO. Brown cane sugar -- a combination of sugar and molasses, both inherent in the sugarcane plant -- is produced naturally as part of the process of refining white cane sugar by the traditional method, crystallization. Brown sugar from C & H Sugar Co. and other cane refiners uses the process, but beet sugar is different. It's made by refining the sugar all the way to the final white granular stage, stripping off all the molasses because beet molasses is unfit for human consumption (it's recycled as cattle feed). Then cane molasses is added back into the sugar through a process called ``painting.'' Painting

coats the granules but does not necessarily penetrate them -- the molasses can sometimes be rubbed right off.When it comes down to the beet sugar vs cane sugar debate, it is obvious that we as vegans wouldn't want to purchase something that was produced using a bone char filter (without that process, all sugar would otherwise be vegan). Without some research into the matter, we as consumers, however, don't have the luxury of knowing what we're getting. Labeling law doesn't require a cane or beet designation. C & H is the only mass-market producer to do so; other refiners decline. The question is why.For the typical consumer buying sugar off the grocers' shelf, economics rather than performance determines what they will get. ``It's based on price from the producers,'' says Judie

Decker, spokeswoman for Lucky Stores, Inc. Lady Lee and Lucky, Lucky's house brands, can be cane one time, beet another, she admits. C & H and Holly are two big brands of sugar. If the supplier is Holly, it's beet sugar. If it's C & H, it's cane. On the West Coast, Spreckels, with factories in Woodland and Mendota, and Holly, with a plant in Tracy, manufacture beet sugar and sell it under the Spreckels, Albertson's, Best Yet and Springfield labels. Spreckels and Holly are owned by Imperial Holly of Sugar Land, Texas. C & H, with a sole refinery in Crockett, is the only cane producer on the West Coast. C & H also produces cane sugar for the Safeway label found in Northern California stores. Safeway label brown sugar in Arizona and the Pacific Northwest is beet sugar produced by Imperial Holly, according to Bob Baldwin of Imperial Sugar Co. in Tracy. Domino, another cane brand, is scarce in the West (so you bet since it's cane, it has been processed using bone-char)Most of the time, when I want to sweeten something, I generally use Agave Nectar. When it has to be crystallized sugar in order for the recipe to work, I will use evaporated cane juice (equivalent to Florida Crystals). Alyza <alyzas wrote: Some cane sugars are processed using bone char. I use beet sugar, which avoids this problem. Some use

Succnat or turbinado sugar. Aly Russell wrote: Can you recommend a vegan sugar?Thanks.Maureen Not sure what you mean... maybe someone else in the group can better answer you... All sugars are vegan as far as I can tell... .. .

Guest guest

On 7/3/08, AmieJPMS <amiejpms wrote:

>

> So I use Agave Nectar! YUMMY and very low on the glycemic

> index so your sugar levels won't get all wonky. You can use in in

> place of sugar in anything...

Almost anything. Some recipes get messed up by the change in moisture.

For example, if putting it in breads instead of white sugar, you will

have to adjust the flour amount to compensate for the added moisture.

Sparrow

Guest guest

Wow Jenn! What a great informative response!

You Rock!

~Victoria

Jenn <batmanusdmychina@>

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:30:21 AM

Re: SUGAR

All cane sugars that are bleached (aka " white " sugar) use a bone char filter.

Turbinado sugar (Sugar In The Raw) or evaporated cane juice (Florida Crystals)

and otherwise " blonde " sugars are vegan and do not go through the bleaching

process using a bone char filter.

Guest guest

You're right, I didn't even think of that. I made a wheat bread and the "honey-wheat" bread recipe called for 1/2 cup of honey and I thought the recipe makers were on crack, and growing up around grandma who is some kind of cooking genius, I know you need the most MINIMAL amount of sugar in a bread recipe, just enough for that hungry yeast to gobble up, so I added just a tablespoon in the recipe. POOF! Delicious and very very very slightly sweetened wheat bread. Thanks Grandma! And I made this bread as a result of standing in the grocery store's bakery department for quite a while reading ingredients and almost freaking out that everything has high fructose corn syrup. The poor baker, he must have thought I was some kind of "ocd bread lady". LOL, but I know all you fellow vegan-label-readers know what I'm talking about. You can usually tell another vegan by the scrutinizing over a

label and mumbling something about why do they have to put MILK in bread???

:-D

Amie

P Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Sparrow R Jones <sparrowrose Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2008 4:48:08 PMRe: Sugar

On 7/3/08, AmieJPMS <amiejpms > wrote:>> So I use Agave Nectar! YUMMY and very low on the glycemic> index so your sugar levels won't get all wonky. You can use in in> place of sugar in anything...Almost anything. Some recipes get messed up by the change in moisture.For example, if putting it in breads instead of white sugar, you willhave to adjust the flour amount to compensate for the added moisture.Sparrow

• 3 months later...

nbsp;

Elaine

----- Forwarded Message ----Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:10:38 AMsugar

thought you all might find this interesting. ..."American Crystal Sugar company director of agriculture, said just over half of the sugar beets planted this year were the Roundup Ready variety created by Monsanto. ""So the farmer saves money on labor and fuel. But that doesn't mean the GMO beets are cheaper to grow. Monsanto charges a technology fee for the seeds - about $60 per acre - which offsets much of the savings. Tests this year show the GMO beets overall don't produce higher yields than traditional varieties. That's expected to change as the GMO seed is improved over the next couple of years.Next year American Crystal expects about 90 percent of sugar beets to be the Roundup Ready variety." read more..... _http://ksax. com/article/ stories/S606103. shtml?cat= 10230_ (http://ksax. com/article/ stories/S606103. shtml?cat= 10230) ************ **New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out! (http://local. mapquest. com/?ncid= emlcntnew0000000 1)