IndiaDivine.org

Nairn's biscuits

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello

I have just discovered Nairn's new oat biscuit range which is vegan (and wheat free, if you need that). Bought the Stem Ginger ones today, next to try are Mixed Berries, and Fruit and Spice. Yum!

Also just tried Doves Farm's Fruit Cereal bar (called Easy - what a daft name for a cereal bar!) and Chocolate and Rice Pop bar (called Tasty - now that name makes a bit more sense!). They are nice and make a good change from the Lyme Regis Fruitus bars to which I am currently addicted. Unfortunately all those cereal bars I can only find in Tescos, and I live a very long way away from a Tesco, so I have to stock up when I go and get strange looks at the checkout! But it is great to at last find cereal bars which don't have milk or honey in.

Ordering the book Vegan Cooking for Health by Nicola Graimes, I browsed my friend's copy and it looks a great basic book for a hopeless cook like me!

Cath

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

Out of interest, what is wrong with eating honey? I know to be strictly vegan you can't eat it but I don't see how it harms bees... Maybe there is something I don't know?

Nikki

-

Cath Pritchard

Saturday, August 14, 2004 4:25 PM

Nairn's biscuits

Hello

I have just discovered Nairn's new oat biscuit range which is vegan (and wheat free, if you need that). Bought the Stem Ginger ones today, next to try are Mixed Berries, and Fruit and Spice. Yum!

Also just tried Doves Farm's Fruit Cereal bar (called Easy - what a daft name for a cereal bar!) and Chocolate and Rice Pop bar (called Tasty - now that name makes a bit more sense!). They are nice and make a good change from the Lyme Regis Fruitus bars to which I am currently addicted. Unfortunately all those cereal bars I can only find in Tescos, and I live a very long way away from a Tesco, so I have to stock up when I go and get strange looks at the checkout! But it is great to at last find cereal bars which don't have milk or honey in.

Ordering the book Vegan Cooking for Health by Nicola Graimes, I browsed my friend's copy and it looks a great basic book for a hopeless cook like me!

Cath

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

, " Nikki Qureshi " <nicolaqureshi@t...>

wrote:

> Out of interest, what is wrong with eating honey? I know to be

strictly vegan you can't eat it but I don't see how it harms bees...

Maybe there is something I don't know?

>

> Nikki

Here's what the vegan Society has to say on the matter:

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/animals/exploitation/bees.php

" Bees are manipulated worldwide to produce many products for human

use: honey, beeswax, propolis, bee pollen, royal jelly and venom.

They are intelligent insects with a complex communication system.

Because bees are seen flying free, they are also often considered

free of the usual cruelties of the animal farming industry. However

bees undergo treatments similar to those endured by other farmed

animals. They go through routine examination and handling, artificial

feeding regimes, drug and pesticide treatment, genetic manipulation,

artificial insemination, transportation (by air, rail and road) and

slaughter. " And there's more detail on their site :) Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot. I'll get reading. :o)

Nikki

-

gothcatz

Sunday, August 15, 2004 10:56 PM

Re: Nairn's biscuits

, "Nikki Qureshi" <nicolaqureshi@t...> wrote:> Out of interest, what is wrong with eating honey? I know to be strictly vegan you can't eat it but I don't see how it harms bees... Maybe there is something I don't know?> > NikkiHere's what the vegan Society has to say on the matter: http://www.vegansociety.com/html/animals/exploitation/bees.php"Bees are manipulated worldwide to produce many products for human use: honey, beeswax, propolis, bee pollen, royal jelly and venom. They are intelligent insects with a complex communication system. Because bees are seen flying free, they are also often considered free of the usual cruelties of the animal farming industry. However bees undergo treatments similar to those endured by other farmed animals. They go through routine examination and handling, artificial feeding regimes, drug and pesticide treatment, genetic manipulation, artificial insemination, transportation (by air, rail and road) and slaughter." And there's more detail on their site :) Hope that helps!~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Hi Cath,

Tried those bars ( bit pricey aren`t they!), tried that book. I would recomend that you go straight to the page on chocolate muffins - do not pass go do not collect £200!!!!!!!

Waffling again

The Valley Vegan......Cath Pritchard <cath_pritchard wrote:

Hello

Cath

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to - Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun!