IndiaDivine.org

Vegans & Jobseekers Allowance Update

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all

Thank you for all the messages of support I have recieved; here's the latest instalment.

In order to eat I had to sign the agreement proposed by Darwen JobCentre Plus. Even this agreement had to go to adjudication and was passed with the comment, according to the member of staff at Darwen JobCentre (cannot name them here unfortunately, best keep safe legally) that they, (the adjudicator), found it extremely lenient. However, this is by no means the end of the matter. I have a Restart interview coming up in October where the Jobseekers Agreement will have to be re-negotiated again. This will be with a different member of staff who will then have to agree to my wishes/ethical standpoint of which my Veganism is only a part.

I have been told that I cannot have a Jobseekers Agreement which limits working for companies whose activities offend all my principles, Veganism, Pacifism, (no work for companies involved in the arms trade) Environmental Concerns, product sourcing issues (not working for companies extensively dealing in sweatshop produced products) as this would be an unreasonable limitation owing to the limited number of orginisations who would meet my criteria.

I think a return visit to Lancaster University Law Library is now on the cards to do some serious research into the matter as to how the law now stands as to concietntious ojection, exactly what was said in the Parliamentary debates relating to the legislation which brought in the Jobseekers Agreement regarding ethical objections, etc.

It could well be that there has been an own goal, after all the JobCentre staff seem to be forgetting that I have the letters LL.B (Hons) after my name. (Lancaster Univrsity 1996) I never took my degree further (costs, only obtaining a lower second, etc), but several friends from Uni who knew my principles are now in practice either as barristers or solicitors; so who knows? I may be able to get free legal representation if I decide to press the issue and insist on a Jobseekers Agreement that respects my beliefs. (Though this would mean no "live" Jobseekers Agreement and therefore no benefits)

Watch this space

Kev

:-)

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Hi Kev,

Please do keep us informed, it is very interesting. Also keep a note of things, dates times who you spoke to etc, it may come in handy for when you write the book!

Seriously, though keep everything documented, and let the press know, or at least the vegan society, it would make a good piece for the magazine.

The Valley Vegan..........

A fo ben, bid bont He who would be head let him be a bridge

kev maher <deadheadkev_darwen wrote:

Hi all

Thank you for all the messages of support I have recieved; here's the latest instalment.

In order to eat I had to sign the agreement proposed by Darwen JobCentre Plus. Even this agreement had to go to adjudication and was passed with the comment, according to the member of staff at Darwen JobCentre (cannot name them here unfortunately, best keep safe legally) that they, (the adjudicator), found it extremely lenient. However, this is by no means the end of the matter. I have a Restart interview coming up in October where the Jobseekers Agreement will have to be re-negotiated again. This will be with a different member of staff who will then have to agree to my wishes/ethical standpoint of which my Veganism is only a part.

I have been told that I cannot have a Jobseekers Agreement which limits working for companies whose activities offend all my principles, Veganism, Pacifism, (no work for companies involved in the arms trade) Environmental Concerns, product sourcing issues (not working for companies extensively dealing in sweatshop produced products) as this would be an unreasonable limitation owing to the limited number of orginisations who would meet my criteria.

I think a return visit to Lancaster University Law Library is now on the cards to do some serious research into the matter as to how the law now stands as to concietntious ojection, exactly what was said in the Parliamentary debates relating to the legislation which brought in the Jobseekers Agreement regarding ethical objections, etc.

It could well be that there has been an own goal, after all the JobCentre staff seem to be forgetting that I have the letters LL.B (Hons) after my name. (Lancaster Univrsity 1996) I never took my degree further (costs, only obtaining a lower second, etc), but several friends from Uni who knew my principles are now in practice either as barristers or solicitors; so who knows? I may be able to get free legal representation if I decide to press the issue and insist on a Jobseekers Agreement that respects my beliefs. (Though this would mean no "live" Jobseekers Agreement and therefore no benefits)

Watch this space

Kev

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Ditto from here and good luck!

Cheers

Mike

On Behalf Of peter hurd23 September 2005 21:43 Subject: Re: Vegans & Jobseekers Allowance Update

Hi Kev,

Please do keep us informed, it is very interesting. Also keep a note of things, dates times who you spoke to etc, it may come in handy for when you write the book!

Seriously, though keep everything documented, and let the press know, or at least the vegan society, it would make a good piece for the magazine.

The Valley Vegan..........

A fo ben, bid bont He who would be head let him be a bridge

kev maher <deadheadkev_darwen wrote:

Hi all

Watch this space

Kev

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Good on ya for sticking to your principles, I know it can be difficult

in that sort of situation where your next meal may be at stake(!).

Good luck with it.

, kev maher <deadheadkev_darwen>

wrote:

> Hi all

>

> Thank you for all the messages of support I have recieved; here's

the latest instalment.

> In order to eat I had to sign the agreement proposed by Darwen...