IndiaDivine.org

Leather and Wool

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I stopped using all my leather and wool stuff as soon as I became a Vegan.. if you don't, you will find plenty of people deleriously happy to call you a hypocrit - it's not worth giving them a chance. Best thing I could think of was to give it all to a Charity Shop - that way people who want it don't create demand for 'new' leather / wool goods for a while - it's a very small thing and there are no doubt several ways of looking at it, but as you can't bring it back to life, it's either that or the bin. S-J xHamiltonsfitness wrote: Hi Gina,Welcome, when I became a vegetarian I stopped buying products made with the suffering of animals, but I didn't immediately throw out items that I already had. That would not have helped anyone or anything. But I did find an aversion to

using them anymore, so after a short period they were redundant anyway. They are either at the back of a wardrope or have gone through lack of use.I don't think that there is anything that you will have to buy in future that you will be forced to buy from a cruelty source.stuart hRegina Fay Brook Sent: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:11:10 -0700 (PDT)RE: Questionnaire AnswersMichael,I have ordered a bazillion Vegan cookbooks etc... and Vegan living books and have joined a plethora of newsletters etc. It is a major change in lifestyle... and I am realizing just how many things in my house are the products of cruelty to animals.. its a bit overwhelming ....Right now I am determined to be as cruelty free as possible.. but I am having mixed feelings about some of it... I will no longer be a leather consumer

but do I have the strength to rip the all leather seats out of my new car... sadly, no... or to throw away an expensive leather purse that was given to me several years ago? How long have you been Vegan? Do you or have you gone through any similar issues? Becoming a teetotaler and tossing out everything in my house that has come from cruelty to animals is not the easiest thing to do...Are there any other Vegans who have just recently "converted" who are also trying to reconcile what is right with what you practically have at the time.. will I buy any more leather? Certainly not.. but do you toss expensive shoes? Ugggh?GinaMichael Benis wrote:Don't let anyone put you off, it's all very easy really. You can get good introductory books and information both at the Viva! website and at the Vegan Society website.CheersM--------

On Behalf Of Michael Benis04 April 2006 16:16 Subject: RE: Questionnaire AnswersHi there Gina,Welcome to the group!If there's anything want to know while making the change - jus ask!CheersMikeRegina Fay Brook, RN, BSNPersonal Homepage http://www.geocities.com/ginafay--------! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it

snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Guidelines: visit Un: send a blank message to - --------* Visit your group "" on the web.*

Guest guest

J-S I see what you are saying and I do think I will definitely appear as a hypocrite...the only problem is this... my new car has all leather seats... our living room suite... all my bags.... most of my shoes... I am absolutely aghast at the amount of flesh I have in this house and appalled as well. I am ashamed to admit it.. especially in this forum... I can't very well toss out the car.. and the suite.. well... I may as well toss out my husband then he is a Finance Director and will be tallying it all up... and not with a smile on his face! Ginagushoneybungirl <gushoneybungirl wrote: I stopped using all my leather and wool stuff as soon as I became a Vegan.. if you don't, you will find plenty of people deleriously happy to call you a hypocrit - it's not worth

giving them a chance. Best thing I could think of was to give it all to a Charity Shop - that way people who want it don't create demand for 'new' leather / wool goods for a while - it's a very small thing and there are no doubt several ways of looking at it, but as you can't bring it back to life, it's either that or the bin. S-J xHamiltonsfitness wrote: Hi Gina,Welcome, when I became a vegetarian I stopped buying products made with the suffering of animals, but I didn't immediately throw out items that I already had. That would not have helped anyone or anything. But I did find an aversion to using them anymore, so after a short period they were redundant anyway. They are either at the back of a wardrope or have gone through lack of use.I don't think that there is

anything that you will have to buy in future that you will be forced to buy from a cruelty source.stuart hRegina Fay Brook Sent: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:11:10 -0700 (PDT)RE: Questionnaire AnswersMichael,I have ordered a bazillion Vegan cookbooks etc... and Vegan living books and have joined a plethora of newsletters etc. It is a major change in lifestyle... and I am realizing just how many things in my house are the products of cruelty to animals.. its a bit overwhelming ....Right now I am determined to be as cruelty free as possible.. but I am having mixed feelings about some of it... I will no longer be a leather consumer but do I have the strength to rip the all leather seats out of my new car... sadly, no... or to throw away an expensive leather purse that was given to me several years ago? How long

have you been Vegan? Do you or have you gone through any similar issues? Becoming a teetotaler and tossing out everything in my house that has come from cruelty to animals is not the easiest thing to do...Are there any other Vegans who have just recently "converted" who are also trying to reconcile what is right with what you practically have at the time.. will I buy any more leather? Certainly not.. but do you toss expensive shoes? Ugggh?GinaMichael Benis wrote:Don't let anyone put you off, it's all very easy really. You can get good introductory books and information both at the Viva! website and at the Vegan Society website.CheersM-------- On Behalf Of Michael Benis04 April 2006 16:16 Subject: RE: Questionnaire AnswersHi

there Gina,Welcome to the group!If there's anything want to know while making the change - jus ask!CheersMikeRegina Fay Brook, RN, BSNPersonal Homepage http://www.geocities.com/ginafay--------! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Guidelines: visit Un: send a blank message to - --------*

Visit your group "" on the web.*

Guest guest

Hi Gina

Welcome to the board.

Firstly I'd like to say that if you want a lengthy chat I am on

messenger and would be really happy to chat to you about how I

converted to being a vegan and the difficulties I face with my

children (and having a meat eating husband!).

I understand your dilemma about the leather. When I became vegan I

didn't throw out all my leather shoes immediately etc. I felt (and

still do) that buying new products is a greater drain on our

environment so it is better to wait until what we have is worn out

before we buy new things.

I do think you might have trouble with your friends with the leather

sofa and car seats. With the car, they are so bad anyway that I

don't think the seats make any difference and I think every vegan

that drives (including myself) is a hypocrite. The sofa is harder

as if you give it to someone else or a charity shop it might stop

them buying a new leather sofa and therefore help in a very small

way.

However, changing your diet is the most important step of all I

think. I want to congratulate you on that, and if you find any ways

of persuading your family its a great idea, perhaps you can share

them and I can try them on my husband (who insists that if he was

starving he would eat his dog and any other humans who were there

too - nice....!!!!)

Michelle

, Regina Fay Brook <ginafay wrote:

>

> J-S

> I see what you are saying and I do think I will definitely

appear as a hypocrite...the only problem is this... my new car has

all leather seats... our living room suite... all my bags.... most

of my shoes... I am absolutely aghast at the amount of flesh I have

in this house and appalled as well. I am ashamed to admit it..

especially in this forum...

> I can't very well toss out the car.. and the suite.. well... I

may as well toss out my husband then he is a Finance Director and

will be tallying it all up... and not with a smile on his face!

> Gina

>

> gushoneybungirl <gushoneybungirl wrote:

> I stopped using all my leather and wool stuff as soon as I

became a Vegan.. if you don't, you will find plenty of people

deleriously happy to call you a hypocrit - it's not worth giving

them a chance. Best thing I could think of was to give it all to a

Charity Shop - that way people who want it don't create demand

for 'new' leather / wool goods for a while - it's a very small thing

and there are no doubt several ways of looking at it, but as you

can't bring it back to life, it's either that or the bin.

>

> S-J x

>

> Hamiltonsfitness wrote:

> Hi Gina,

>

> Welcome, when I became a vegetarian I stopped buying products made

with

> the suffering of animals, but I didn't immediately throw out items

that

> I already had. That would not have helped anyone or anything. But

I did

> find an aversion to using them anymore, so after a short period

they

> were redundant anyway. They are either at the back of a wardrope

or

> have gone through lack of use.

>

> I don't think that there is anything that you will have to buy in

> future that you will be forced to buy from a cruelty source.

>

> stuart h

>

>

> Regina Fay Brook

>

> Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:11:10 -0700 (PDT)

> RE: Questionnaire Answers

>

> Michael,

> I have ordered a bazillion Vegan cookbooks etc... and Vegan living

> books and have joined a plethora of newsletters etc. It is a major

> change in lifestyle... and I am realizing just how many things in

my

> house are the products of cruelty to animals.. its a bit

overwhelming

> ....Right now I am determined to be as cruelty free as possible..

but I

> am having mixed feelings about some of it... I will no longer be a

> leather consumer but do I have the strength to rip the all leather

> seats out of my new car... sadly, no... or to throw away an

expensive

> leather purse that was given to me several years ago? How long

have you

> been Vegan? Do you or have you gone through any similar issues?

> Becoming a teetotaler and tossing out everything in my house that

has

> come from cruelty to animals is not the easiest thing to do...

> Are there any other Vegans who have just recently " converted " who

are

> also trying to reconcile what is right with what you practically

have

> at the time.. will I buy any more leather? Certainly not.. but do

you

> toss expensive shoes? Ugggh?

> Gina

>

>

>

> Michael Benis wrote:

> Don't let anyone put you off, it's all very easy really. You can

get

> good introductory books and information both at the Viva! website

and

> at the Vegan Society website.

>

> Cheers

>

> M

>

> --------

> On

> Behalf Of Michael Benis

> 04 April 2006 16:16

>

> RE: Questionnaire Answers

>

>

>

> Hi there Gina,

>

> Welcome to the group!

>

> If there's anything want to know while making the change - jus ask!

>

> Cheers

>

> Mike

>

>

>

> Regina Fay Brook, RN, BSN

>

> Personal Homepage http://www.geocities.com/ginafay

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

--------

> Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously

low

> rates.

>

> ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,

> there may be another side to the story you have not heard.

> ---------------------------

> Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Guidelines: visit

> Un: send a blank message to

> -

>

>

> --------

>

>

> * Visit your group " " on the web.

>

> *

Guest guest

Michelle, Thanks so much for the letter!! I would love to chat on messenger with you about your conversion and it sounds as though we have some things in common in regards to our situations. My husband too would eat any animal or person were he starving and my daughter completely shares that sentiment. I will work on my husband about the suite but its fairly new (I just moved to the UK in August) as is my car... we just bought that in August as well... and to my specifications (yes, standing up to admit it.. I demanded full leather... preparing to dodge hard objects and vegetables) so... I am really glad you understand! My Messenger is ginafay and although I am invisible all the time.. that doesn't mean I am not there *evil grin* I look forward to chatting with you! I tried Tofu today and... Holy Mother of God... that is an acquired taste isnt it. GinaMichelle D'Arcy

<michelledarcy wrote: Hi GinaWelcome to the board.Firstly I'd like to say that if you want a lengthy chat I am on messenger and would be really happy to chat to you about how I converted to being a vegan and the difficulties I face with my children (and having a meat eating husband!).I understand your dilemma about the leather. When I became vegan I didn't throw out all my leather shoes immediately etc. I felt (and still do) that buying new products is a greater drain on our environment so it is better to wait until what we have is worn out before we buy new things. I do think you might have trouble with your friends with the leather sofa and car seats. With the car, they are so bad anyway that I don't think the seats make any difference and I

think every vegan that drives (including myself) is a hypocrite. The sofa is harder as if you give it to someone else or a charity shop it might stop them buying a new leather sofa and therefore help in a very small way.However, changing your diet is the most important step of all I think. I want to congratulate you on that, and if you find any ways of persuading your family its a great idea, perhaps you can share them and I can try them on my husband (who insists that if he was starving he would eat his dog and any other humans who were there too - nice....!!!!)Michelle , Regina Fay Brook <ginafay wrote:>> J-S> I see what you are saying and I do think I will definitely appear as a hypocrite...the only problem is this... my new car has all leather seats... our living room suite... all my bags.... most of my

shoes... I am absolutely aghast at the amount of flesh I have in this house and appalled as well. I am ashamed to admit it.. especially in this forum... > I can't very well toss out the car.. and the suite.. well... I may as well toss out my husband then he is a Finance Director and will be tallying it all up... and not with a smile on his face! > Gina> > gushoneybungirl <gushoneybungirl wrote:> I stopped using all my leather and wool stuff as soon as I became a Vegan.. if you don't, you will find plenty of people deleriously happy to call you a hypocrit - it's not worth giving them a chance. Best thing I could think of was to give it all to a Charity Shop - that way people who want it don't create demand for 'new' leather / wool goods for a while - it's a very small thing and there are no doubt several ways of looking at it, but

as you can't bring it back to life, it's either that or the bin.> > S-J x> > Hamiltonsfitness wrote:> Hi Gina,> > Welcome, when I became a vegetarian I stopped buying products made with > the suffering of animals, but I didn't immediately throw out items that > I already had. That would not have helped anyone or anything. But I did > find an aversion to using them anymore, so after a short period they > were redundant anyway. They are either at the back of a wardrope or > have gone through lack of use.> > I don't think that there is anything that you will have to buy in > future that you will be forced to buy from a cruelty source.> > stuart h> > > Regina Fay Brook > > Tue, 4 Apr 2006

12:11:10 -0700 (PDT)> RE: Questionnaire Answers> > Michael,> I have ordered a bazillion Vegan cookbooks etc... and Vegan living > books and have joined a plethora of newsletters etc. It is a major > change in lifestyle... and I am realizing just how many things in my > house are the products of cruelty to animals.. its a bit overwhelming > ....Right now I am determined to be as cruelty free as possible.. but I > am having mixed feelings about some of it... I will no longer be a > leather consumer but do I have the strength to rip the all leather > seats out of my new car... sadly, no... or to throw away an expensive > leather purse that was given to me several years ago? How long have you > been Vegan? Do you or have you gone through any similar issues? > Becoming a teetotaler and tossing out everything in my house that has >

come from cruelty to animals is not the easiest thing to do...> Are there any other Vegans who have just recently "converted" who are > also trying to reconcile what is right with what you practically have > at the time.. will I buy any more leather? Certainly not.. but do you > toss expensive shoes? Ugggh?> Gina> > > > Michael Benis wrote:> Don't let anyone put you off, it's all very easy really. You can get > good introductory books and information both at the Viva! website and > at the Vegan Society website.> > Cheers> > M> > --------> On > Behalf Of Michael Benis> 04 April 2006 16:16> > RE: Questionnaire Answers> > > > Hi there Gina,> >

Welcome to the group!> > If there's anything want to know while making the change - jus ask!> > Cheers> > Mike> > > > Regina Fay Brook, RN, BSN> > Personal Homepage http://www.geocities.com/ginafay> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > --------> Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low > rates.> > ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,> there may be another side to the story you have not heard.> ---------------------------> Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it

snipped?> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> Guidelines: visit > Un: send a blank message to > - > > > --------> > > * Visit your group "" on the web.> > *

Guest guest

Michelle, Why would every vegan who drives be a hypocrite?, that I do not understand.? The Valley Vegan.............Michelle D'Arcy <michelledarcy wrote: Hi GinaWelcome to the board.Firstly I'd like to say that if you want a lengthy chat I am on messenger and would be really happy to chat to you about how I converted to being a vegan and the difficulties I face with my children (and having a meat eating husband!).I understand your dilemma about the leather. When I became vegan I didn't throw out all my leather shoes immediately etc. I felt (and still do) that buying new products is a greater drain on our environment so it is better to wait until what we have is worn out before we buy new things. I do think you might have trouble

with your friends with the leather sofa and car seats. With the car, they are so bad anyway that I don't think the seats make any difference and I think every vegan that drives (including myself) is a hypocrite. The sofa is harder as if you give it to someone else or a charity shop it might stop them buying a new leather sofa and therefore help in a very small way.However, changing your diet is the most important step of all I think. I want to congratulate you on that, and if you find any ways of persuading your family its a great idea, perhaps you can share them and I can try them on my husband (who insists that if he was starving he would eat his dog and any other humans who were there too - nice....!!!!)Michelle , Regina Fay Brook wrote:>> J-S> I see what you are saying and I do think I will definitely appear as a hypocrite...the only problem

is this... my new car has all leather seats... our living room suite... all my bags.... most of my shoes... I am absolutely aghast at the amount of flesh I have in this house and appalled as well. I am ashamed to admit it.. especially in this forum... > I can't very well toss out the car.. and the suite.. well... I may as well toss out my husband then he is a Finance Director and will be tallying it all up... and not with a smile on his face! > Gina> > gushoneybungirl wrote:> I stopped using all my leather and wool stuff as soon as I became a Vegan.. if you don't, you will find plenty of people deleriously happy to call you a hypocrit - it's not worth giving them a chance. Best thing I could think of was to give it all to a Charity Shop - that way people who want it don't create demand for 'new' leather / wool goods for a while - it's a very small thing and there are no doubt

several ways of looking at it, but as you can't bring it back to life, it's either that or the bin.> > S-J x> > Hamiltonsfitness wrote:> Hi Gina,> > Welcome, when I became a vegetarian I stopped buying products made with > the suffering of animals, but I didn't immediately throw out items that > I already had. That would not have helped anyone or anything. But I did > find an aversion to using them anymore, so after a short period they > were redundant anyway. They are either at the back of a wardrope or > have gone through lack of use.> > I don't think that there is anything that you will have to buy in > future that you will be forced to buy from a cruelty source.> > stuart h> > > Regina Fay Brook > > Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:11:10 -0700

(PDT)> RE: Questionnaire Answers> > Michael,> I have ordered a bazillion Vegan cookbooks etc... and Vegan living > books and have joined a plethora of newsletters etc. It is a major > change in lifestyle... and I am realizing just how many things in my > house are the products of cruelty to animals.. its a bit overwhelming > ....Right now I am determined to be as cruelty free as possible.. but I > am having mixed feelings about some of it... I will no longer be a > leather consumer but do I have the strength to rip the all leather > seats out of my new car... sadly, no... or to throw away an expensive > leather purse that was given to me several years ago? How long have you > been Vegan? Do you or have you gone through any similar issues? > Becoming a teetotaler and tossing out everything in my house that has > come from cruelty to

animals is not the easiest thing to do...> Are there any other Vegans who have just recently "converted" who are > also trying to reconcile what is right with what you practically have > at the time.. will I buy any more leather? Certainly not.. but do you > toss expensive shoes? Ugggh?> Gina> > > > Michael Benis wrote:> Don't let anyone put you off, it's all very easy really. You can get > good introductory books and information both at the Viva! website and > at the Vegan Society website.> > Cheers> > M> > --------> On > Behalf Of Michael Benis> 04 April 2006 16:16> > RE: Questionnaire Answers> > > > Hi there Gina,> > Welcome to the group!>

> If there's anything want to know while making the change - jus ask!> > Cheers> > Mike> > > > Regina Fay Brook, RN, BSN> > Personal Homepage http://www.geocities.com/ginafay> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > --------> Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low > rates.> > ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,> there may be another side to the story you have not heard.> ---------------------------> Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> Guidelines:

visit > Un: send a blank message to > - > > > --------> > > * Visit your group "" on the web.> > *

Guest guest

Gina, You have already bought all those leather items, and if you cant afford to replace them what damage are you doing by using them? As things wear out you will no doubt by vegan alternatives ( not many cars have leather seats ?) there are plenty of vegan shoes/ furniture etc out there. And indeed to not use the items you have bought would be a waste of resources, unles recycled ( give to charity shops etc). So dont sweat it, weve all been there on our transition to vegan. You are not alone or judged! The Valley Vegan...................Regina Fay Brook <ginafay wrote: J-S I see what you are saying and I do think I will definitely appear as a hypocrite...the only problem is this... my new car has all leather seats... our living room suite... all my bags.... most of my

shoes... I am absolutely aghast at the amount of flesh I have in this house and appalled as well. I am ashamed to admit it.. especially in this forum... I can't very well toss out the car.. and the suite.. well... I may as well toss out my husband then he is a Finance Director and will be tallying it all up... and not with a smile on his face! Ginagushoneybungirl <gushoneybungirl wrote: I stopped using all my leather and wool stuff as soon as I became a Vegan.. if you don't, you will find plenty of people deleriously happy to call you a hypocrit - it's not worth giving them a chance. Best thing I could think of was to give it all to a Charity Shop - that way people who want it don't create demand for 'new' leather / wool goods for a while - it's a very small thing and there are no

doubt several ways of looking at it, but as you can't bring it back to life, it's either that or the bin. S-J xHamiltonsfitness wrote: Hi Gina,Welcome, when I became a vegetarian I stopped buying products made with the suffering of animals, but I didn't immediately throw out items that I already had. That would not have helped anyone or anything. But I did find an aversion to using them anymore, so after a short period they were redundant anyway. They are either at the back of a wardrope or have gone through lack of use.I don't think that there is anything that you will have to buy in future that you will be forced to buy from a cruelty source.stuart hRegina Fay Brook Sent:

Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:11:10 -0700 (PDT)RE: Questionnaire AnswersMichael,I have ordered a bazillion Vegan cookbooks etc... and Vegan living books and have joined a plethora of newsletters etc. It is a major change in lifestyle... and I am realizing just how many things in my house are the products of cruelty to animals.. its a bit overwhelming ....Right now I am determined to be as cruelty free as possible.. but I am having mixed feelings about some of it... I will no longer be a leather consumer but do I have the strength to rip the all leather seats out of my new car... sadly, no... or to throw away an expensive leather purse that was given to me several years ago? How long have you been Vegan? Do you or have you gone through any similar issues? Becoming a teetotaler and tossing out everything in my house that has come from cruelty to animals is not the easiest thing to do...Are there any other Vegans

who have just recently "converted" who are also trying to reconcile what is right with what you practically have at the time.. will I buy any more leather? Certainly not.. but do you toss expensive shoes? Ugggh?GinaMichael Benis wrote:Don't let anyone put you off, it's all very easy really. You can get good introductory books and information both at the Viva! website and at the Vegan Society website.CheersM-------- On Behalf Of Michael Benis04 April 2006 16:16 Subject: RE: Questionnaire AnswersHi there Gina,Welcome to the group!If there's anything want to know while making the change - jus ask!CheersMikeRegina Fay Brook, RN, BSNPersonal Homepage

http://www.geocities.com/ginafay--------! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Guidelines: visit Un: send a blank message to - --------* Visit your group "" on the web.*

Guest guest

Peter, A big hug for that... my son who is 11 said something very insightful.. he said.. the animal already sufferred mommy.. don't throw it in the bin now! I appreciate your words of reassurance and encouragement... I went to the store and bought some things today.. Mayola, and some other alternative things.. its been fun tasting the different things... soya yoghurt and soya pudding... the pudding is to die for.. the yoghurt.. I can get used to its just a little bit different. Thank you so much for all your advice.. y'all are amazing and I know I have done the right thing. Ginapeter hurd <swpgh01 wrote: Gina, You have already bought all those leather items, and if you cant afford to replace them what damage are you doing by using them? As things wear out you will no doubt by

vegan alternatives ( not many cars have leather seats ?) there are plenty of vegan shoes/ furniture etc out there. And indeed to not use the items you have bought would be a waste of resources, unles recycled ( give to charity shops etc). So dont sweat it, weve all been there on our transition to vegan. You are not alone or judged! The Valley Vegan...................Regina Fay Brook <ginafay wrote: J-S I see what you are saying and I do think I will definitely appear as a hypocrite...the only problem is this... my new car has all leather seats... our living room suite... all my bags.... most of my shoes... I am absolutely aghast at the amount of flesh I have in this house and appalled as well. I am ashamed to admit it.. especially in this forum... I can't

very well toss out the car.. and the suite.. well... I may as well toss out my husband then he is a Finance Director and will be tallying it all up... and not with a smile on his face! Ginagushoneybungirl <gushoneybungirl wrote: I stopped using all my leather and wool stuff as soon as I became a Vegan.. if you don't, you will find plenty of people deleriously happy to call you a hypocrit - it's not worth giving them a chance. Best thing I could think of was to give it all to a Charity Shop - that way people who want it don't create demand for 'new' leather / wool goods for a while - it's a very small thing and there are no doubt several ways of looking at it, but as you can't bring it back to life, it's either that or the bin. S-J

xHamiltonsfitness wrote: Hi Gina,Welcome, when I became a vegetarian I stopped buying products made with the suffering of animals, but I didn't immediately throw out items that I already had. That would not have helped anyone or anything. But I did find an aversion to using them anymore, so after a short period they were redundant anyway. They are either at the back of a wardrope or have gone through lack of use.I don't think that there is anything that you will have to buy in future that you will be forced to buy from a cruelty source.stuart hRegina Fay Brook Sent: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:11:10 -0700 (PDT)RE: Questionnaire AnswersMichael,I have ordered a bazillion

Vegan cookbooks etc... and Vegan living books and have joined a plethora of newsletters etc. It is a major change in lifestyle... and I am realizing just how many things in my house are the products of cruelty to animals.. its a bit overwhelming ....Right now I am determined to be as cruelty free as possible.. but I am having mixed feelings about some of it... I will no longer be a leather consumer but do I have the strength to rip the all leather seats out of my new car... sadly, no... or to throw away an expensive leather purse that was given to me several years ago? How long have you been Vegan? Do you or have you gone through any similar issues? Becoming a teetotaler and tossing out everything in my house that has come from cruelty to animals is not the easiest thing to do...Are there any other Vegans who have just recently "converted" who are also trying to reconcile what is right with what you practically have

at the time.. will I buy any more leather? Certainly not.. but do you toss expensive shoes? Ugggh?GinaMichael Benis wrote:Don't let anyone put you off, it's all very easy really. You can get good introductory books and information both at the Viva! website and at the Vegan Society website.CheersM-------- On Behalf Of Michael Benis04 April 2006 16:16 Subject: RE: Questionnaire AnswersHi there Gina,Welcome to the group!If there's anything want to know while making the change - jus ask!CheersMikeRegina Fay Brook, RN, BSNPersonal Homepage http://www.geocities.com/ginafay--------! Messenger with

Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Guidelines: visit Un: send a blank message to - --------* Visit your group "" on the web.*

Guest guest

Hi,

There are two valid sides to this one, of course. But, since you ask, the

harm you can be said to be doing is in peoples' perception of veganism. Tell

someone that you don't use leather because it is cruel to the cow, and

people understand, even if they think you mad. Tell them you don't use

leather, but because you already had this leather it is not causing any

further cruelty, and you run the risk of people not understanding.

Especially, as, in most cases, they won't have the discussion with you -

they'll just see or hear of a vegan using leather and go away with the wrong

understanding of what a vegan is.

But I know you know this argument already!

John

-

" peter hurd " <swpgh01

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 6:53 PM

Re: Leather and Wool

> Gina,

> You have already bought all those leather items, and if you cant afford

to replace them what damage are you doing by using them? As things wear out

you will no doubt by vegan alternatives ( not many cars have leather seats

?) there are plenty of vegan shoes/ furniture etc out there. And indeed to

not use the items you have bought would be a waste of resources, unles

recycled ( give to charity shops etc). So dont sweat it, weve all been there

on our transition to vegan. You are not alone or judged!

>

> The Valley Vegan...................

>

> Regina Fay Brook <ginafay wrote:

> J-S

> I see what you are saying and I do think I will definitely appear as a

hypocrite...the only problem is this... my new car has all leather seats...

our living room suite... all my bags.... most of my shoes... I am

absolutely aghast at the amount of flesh I have in this house and appalled

as well. I am ashamed to admit it.. especially in this forum...

> I can't very well toss out the car.. and the suite.. well... I may as

well toss out my husband then he is a Finance Director and will be tallying

it all up... and not with a smile on his face!

> Gina

>

> gushoneybungirl <gushoneybungirl wrote:

> I stopped using all my leather and wool stuff as soon as I became a

Vegan.. if you don't, you will find plenty of people deleriously happy to

call you a hypocrit - it's not worth giving them a chance. Best thing I

could think of was to give it all to a Charity Shop - that way people who

want it don't create demand for 'new' leather / wool goods for a while -

it's a very small thing and there are no doubt several ways of looking at

it, but as you can't bring it back to life, it's either that or the bin.

>

Guest guest

Hi,

Because, or so the argument goes, by driving you are killing things (from

flies on the windscreen to polar bears harmed by drilling for oil for the

car to animal products in the odd component). However, this is flawed,

because it implies that to be a vegan is to avoid all animal products and to

inflict no suffering on animals. Which is clearly impossible. Veganism is

the attempt to reduce this suffering, not to claim to end it completely.

John

-

" peter hurd " <swpgh01

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 6:47 PM

Re: Re: Leather and Wool

> Michelle,

> Why would every vegan who drives be a hypocrite?, that I do not

understand.?

>

> The Valley Vegan.............

>

> Michelle D'Arcy <michelledarcy wrote:

> Hi Gina

>

> Welcome to the board.

> Firstly I'd like to say that if you want a lengthy chat I am on

> messenger and would be really happy to chat to you about how I

> converted to being a vegan and the difficulties I face with my

> children (and having a meat eating husband!).

>

> I understand your dilemma about the leather. When I became vegan I

> didn't throw out all my leather shoes immediately etc. I felt (and

> still do) that buying new products is a greater drain on our

> environment so it is better to wait until what we have is worn out

> before we buy new things.

>

> I do think you might have trouble with your friends with the leather

> sofa and car seats. With the car, they are so bad anyway that I

> don't think the seats make any difference and I think every vegan

> that drives (including myself) is a hypocrite. The sofa is harder

> as if you give it to someone else or a charity shop it might stop

> them buying a new leather sofa and therefore help in a very small

> way.

>

> However, changing your diet is the most important step of all I

> think. I want to congratulate you on that, and if you find any ways

> of persuading your family its a great idea, perhaps you can share

> them and I can try them on my husband (who insists that if he was

> starving he would eat his dog and any other humans who were there

> too - nice....!!!!)

>

> Michelle

>

Guest guest

John, You are right... its a conflict I am going through and I will eventually come to a resolution. Would you get rid of a 2005 Mercedes with all leather seats that you just bought? Toss out your new leather three peice suite? I mean I have them now and I wouldnt get them again.. but practically speaking.. do I throw out all my shoes? my coats? Its such a dilemna.. I am still trying to figure out how to eat tofu, and what do you do with pearl barley.. and what the heck is cous cous and houmous and how do I gag down soy milk ;) I totally agree that I will appear very false and silly.. and I dont know how as of yet to reconcile it other than to tell people that I know.. that I have come to see the light and I am going to from this day forward be cruelty free and phase things out as I go.. but I also have to practical and as much as the leather on my seats makes me sad and I am ashamed... and the leather suite makes me sad... its going to be an

evolutionary change. I am quite a hypocrite with the car and the leather but I am so conflicted about it all.. *sigh* There is so much to think about and I appreciate all the feedback. This is an awesome group... great food for thought for sure..and a wonderful arena to provide further catalysts for change and growth. GinaJohn Davis <mcxg46 wrote: Hi,There are two valid sides to this one, of course. But, since you ask, theharm you can be said to be doing is in peoples' perception of veganism. Tellsomeone that you don't use leather because it is cruel to the cow, andpeople understand, even if they think you mad. Tell them you don't useleather, but because you already had this leather it is not causing anyfurther cruelty, and you run the risk of people not

understanding.Especially, as, in most cases, they won't have the discussion with you -they'll just see or hear of a vegan using leather and go away with the wrongunderstanding of what a vegan is.But I know you know this argument already!John- "peter hurd" <swpgh01Wednesday, April 05, 2006 6:53 PMRe: Leather and Wool> Gina,> You have already bought all those leather items, and if you cant affordto replace them what damage are you doing by using them? As things wear outyou will no doubt by vegan alternatives ( not many cars have leather seats?) there are plenty of vegan shoes/ furniture etc out there. And indeed tonot use the items you have bought would be a waste of resources, unlesrecycled ( give to charity shops etc). So dont sweat it, weve all been thereon

our transition to vegan. You are not alone or judged!>> The Valley Vegan...................>> Regina Fay Brook <ginafay wrote:> J-S> I see what you are saying and I do think I will definitely appear as ahypocrite...the only problem is this... my new car has all leather seats...our living room suite... all my bags.... most of my shoes... I amabsolutely aghast at the amount of flesh I have in this house and appalledas well. I am ashamed to admit it.. especially in this forum...> I can't very well toss out the car.. and the suite.. well... I may aswell toss out my husband then he is a Finance Director and will be tallyingit all up... and not with a smile on his face!> Gina>> gushoneybungirl <gushoneybungirl wrote:> I stopped using all my

leather and wool stuff as soon as I became aVegan.. if you don't, you will find plenty of people deleriously happy tocall you a hypocrit - it's not worth giving them a chance. Best thing Icould think of was to give it all to a Charity Shop - that way people whowant it don't create demand for 'new' leather / wool goods for a while -it's a very small thing and there are no doubt several ways of looking atit, but as you can't bring it back to life, it's either that or the bin.> Regina Fay Brook, RN, BSN Personal Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/ginafay

Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make PC-to-Phone Calls using Messenger with Voice.

Guest guest

Hi,

I didn't mean to make you feel guilty, or a hypocrite, for keeping a leather

sofa. I don't think you should feel either of those tihngs. I was just

giving the argument for not keeping them 'cause someone asked.

In my opinion, as I think I mentioned, the most important thing to remember

about veganism is that it is an attempt to reduce animal suffering through

avoiding animal products 'as far as is possible and practical'. An attempt,

as far as is possible. You can't be a perfect vegan, and trying will drive

you mad. I know people who beat themselves up over having inadvertently

consumed a trace of whey, or have lost friends because they refused a meal

made for them since it had honey in it, or make themselves ill rather than

use a medicine they need that has an animal product in. I've been a way down

that route before in the past, but to me that way lies nothing but trouble.

Just do what you can, and if that doesn't involve getting rid of all leather

products immediately, well, that is still a lot better than doing nothing at

all.

All of which said, you ask what would I do with the sofa and car. That's a

tough one. When I became vegan I did throw out all my leather stuff, and

even a smelly old llama wool hat which I'd worn and loved for many years. It

was hard, but on the other hand I felt so much better knowing I wasn't

wearing animal products. (Until someone pointed out that the non-leather

shoes I had were probably made in a sweat-shop, my T-shirt purchased from an

unethical company, etc. But that is a whole other thing!) My wife, on the

other hand, didn't throw out her leather stuff, but as it has worn out over

the years has purchased non-leather alternatives. Both responses seem fine

to me.

I could never afford an expensive car with leather seats, so that wasn't an

issue. And since dogs and leather sofas don't mix, I haven't had a leather

sofa. But what would I do? Probably sell them and buy something different.

Of course that doesn't save any animals and means someone else will be using

the leather, so it wouldn't be a moral decision, but rather a personal one,

in that I'd feel better not sitting on leather.

John

-

" Regina Fay Brook " <ginafay

Thursday, April 06, 2006 10:56 AM

Re: Leather and Wool

> John,

> You are right... its a conflict I am going through and I will eventually

come to a resolution. Would you get rid of a 2005 Mercedes with all leather

seats that you just bought? Toss out your new leather three peice suite? I

mean I have them now and I wouldnt get them again.. but practically

speaking.. do I throw out all my shoes? my coats? Its such a dilemna.. I am

still trying to figure out how to eat tofu, and what do you do with pearl

barley.. and what the heck is cous cous and houmous and how do I gag down

soy milk ;) I totally agree that I will appear very false and silly.. and I

dont know how as of yet to reconcile it other than to tell people that I

know.. that I have come to see the light and I am going to from this day

forward be cruelty free and phase things out as I go.. but I also have to

practical and as much as the leather on my seats makes me sad and I am

ashamed... and the leather suite makes me sad... its going to be an

evolutionary change. I am quite a

> hypocrite with the car and the leather but I am so conflicted about it

all.. *sigh* There is so much to think about and I appreciate all the

feedback. This is an awesome group... great food for thought for sure..and a

wonderful arena to provide further catalysts for change and growth.

> Gina

Guest guest

Exactly my thoughts, which is why I asked. You can do your best by choosing an economical ( possibly used ) model without leather interiors. The Valley Vegan..............John Davis <mcxg46 wrote: Hi,Because, or so the argument goes, by driving you are killing things (fromflies on the windscreen to polar bears harmed by drilling for oil for thecar to animal products in the odd component). However, this is flawed,because it implies that to be a vegan is to avoid all animal products and toinflict no suffering on animals. Which is clearly impossible. Veganism isthe attempt to reduce this suffering, not to claim to end it completely.John- "peter hurd" Sent:

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 6:47 PMRe: Re: Leather and Wool> Michelle,> Why would every vegan who drives be a hypocrite?, that I do notunderstand.?>> The Valley Vegan.............>> Michelle D'Arcy wrote:> Hi Gina>> Welcome to the board.> Firstly I'd like to say that if you want a lengthy chat I am on> messenger and would be really happy to chat to you about how I> converted to being a vegan and the difficulties I face with my> children (and having a meat eating husband!).>> I understand your dilemma about the leather. When I became vegan I> didn't throw out all my leather shoes immediately etc. I felt (and> still do) that buying new products is a greater drain on our> environment so it is better to wait until what we have is worn out> before we buy new things.>> I do think

you might have trouble with your friends with the leather> sofa and car seats. With the car, they are so bad anyway that I> don't think the seats make any difference and I think every vegan> that drives (including myself) is a hypocrite. The sofa is harder> as if you give it to someone else or a charity shop it might stop> them buying a new leather sofa and therefore help in a very small> way.>> However, changing your diet is the most important step of all I> think. I want to congratulate you on that, and if you find any ways> of persuading your family its a great idea, perhaps you can share> them and I can try them on my husband (who insists that if he was> starving he would eat his dog and any other humans who were there> too - nice....!!!!)>> Michelle>~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only

the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Provamel vanilla dessert is a perfect alternative to custard, and does not have to be kept in the fridge, so has a long life ( if you can keep it without eating it!) The Valley Vegan...................Regina Fay Brook <ginafay wrote: Peter, A big hug for that... my son who is 11 said something very insightful.. he said.. the animal already sufferred mommy.. don't throw it in the bin now! I appreciate your words of reassurance and encouragement... I went to the store and bought some things today.. Mayola, and some other alternative things.. its been fun tasting the different things... soya yoghurt and soya pudding... the pudding is to die for.. the yoghurt.. I can get used to its just a little bit different. Thank you so much for all your advice.. y'all are amazing and I know I have

done the right thing. Ginapeter hurd <swpgh01 wrote: Gina, You have already bought all those leather items, and if you cant afford to replace them what damage are you doing by using them? As things wear out you will no doubt by vegan alternatives ( not many cars have leather seats ?) there are plenty of vegan shoes/ furniture etc out there. And indeed to not use the items you have bought would be a waste of resources, unles recycled ( give to charity shops etc). So dont sweat it, weve all been there on our transition to vegan. You are not alone or judged! The Valley Vegan...................Regina Fay Brook <ginafay wrote: J-S I see what you are saying and I do think I will definitely appear as a hypocrite...the only problem is this... my new car has all leather seats... our living room suite... all my bags.... most of my shoes... I am absolutely aghast at the amount of flesh I have in this house and appalled as well. I am ashamed to admit it.. especially in this forum... I can't very well toss out the car.. and the suite.. well... I may as well toss out my husband then he is a Finance Director and will be tallying it all up... and not with a smile on his face! Ginagushoneybungirl <gushoneybungirl wrote: I stopped using all my leather and wool stuff as soon as I became a Vegan.. if you don't, you will find plenty of people deleriously happy to call you a hypocrit - it's not worth giving them

a chance. Best thing I could think of was to give it all to a Charity Shop - that way people who want it don't create demand for 'new' leather / wool goods for a while - it's a very small thing and there are no doubt several ways of looking at it, but as you can't bring it back to life, it's either that or the bin. S-J xHamiltonsfitness wrote: Hi Gina,Welcome, when I became a vegetarian I stopped buying products made with the suffering of animals, but I didn't immediately throw out items that I already had. That would not have helped anyone or anything. But I did find an aversion to using them anymore, so after a short period they were redundant anyway. They are either at the back of a wardrope or have gone through lack of use.I don't think that there is anything that you

will have to buy in future that you will be forced to buy from a cruelty source.stuart hRegina Fay Brook Sent: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:11:10 -0700 (PDT)RE: Questionnaire AnswersMichael,I have ordered a bazillion Vegan cookbooks etc... and Vegan living books and have joined a plethora of newsletters etc. It is a major change in lifestyle... and I am realizing just how many things in my house are the products of cruelty to animals.. its a bit overwhelming ....Right now I am determined to be as cruelty free as possible.. but I am having mixed feelings about some of it... I will no longer be a leather consumer but do I have the strength to rip the all leather seats out of my new car... sadly, no... or to throw away an expensive leather purse that was given to me several years ago? How long have you been Vegan? Do

you or have you gone through any similar issues? Becoming a teetotaler and tossing out everything in my house that has come from cruelty to animals is not the easiest thing to do...Are there any other Vegans who have just recently "converted" who are also trying to reconcile what is right with what you practically have at the time.. will I buy any more leather? Certainly not.. but do you toss expensive shoes? Ugggh?GinaMichael Benis wrote:Don't let anyone put you off, it's all very easy really. You can get good introductory books and information both at the Viva! website and at the Vegan Society website.CheersM-------- On Behalf Of Michael Benis04 April 2006 16:16 Subject: RE: Questionnaire AnswersHi there Gina,Welcome to the

group!If there's anything want to know while making the change - jus ask!CheersMikeRegina Fay Brook, RN, BSNPersonal Homepage http://www.geocities.com/ginafay--------! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Guidelines: visit Un: send a blank message to - --------* Visit your group "" on the

web.*

Guest guest

Have you tried the marinated tofu by Cauldron available from Tesco and some

healthfood stores.

Its already marinated in ginger and garlic and is very good and can be eaten

on its own or mixed in

with rice or salad etc,

Jo

>-- Original Message --

>

>Regina Fay Brook <ginafay

>Thu, 6 Apr 2006 02:56:07 -0700 (PDT)

>Re: Leather and Wool

>

>

>

>John,

> You are right... its a conflict I am going through and I will eventually

>come to a resolution. Would you get rid of a 2005 Mercedes with all leather

>seats that you just bought? Toss out your new leather three peice suite?

>I mean I have them now and I wouldnt get them again.. but practically

speaking..

>do I throw out all my shoes? my coats? Its such a dilemna.. I am still trying

>to figure out how to eat tofu, and what do you do with pearl barley.. and

>what the heck is cous cous and houmous and how do I gag down soy milk ;)

>I totally agree that I will appear very false and silly.. and I dont know

>how as of yet to reconcile it other than to tell people that I know.. that

>I have come to see the light and I am going to from this day forward be

cruelty

>free and phase things out as I go.. but I also have to practical and as

much

>as the leather on my seats makes me sad and I am ashamed... and the leather

>suite makes me sad... its going to be an evolutionary change. I am quite

>a

> hypocrite with the car and the leather but I am so conflicted about it

all..

>*sigh* There is so much to think about and I appreciate all the feedback.

>This is an awesome group... great food for thought for sure..and a wonderful

>arena to provide further catalysts for change and growth.

> Gina

>

>John Davis <mcxg46 wrote:

> Hi,

>

>There are two valid sides to this one, of course. But, since you ask, the

>harm you can be said to be doing is in peoples' perception of veganism.

Tell

>someone that you don't use leather because it is cruel to the cow, and

>people understand, even if they think you mad. Tell them you don't use

>leather, but because you already had this leather it is not causing any

>further cruelty, and you run the risk of people not understanding.

>Especially, as, in most cases, they won't have the discussion with you -

>they'll just see or hear of a vegan using leather and go away with the wrong

>understanding of what a vegan is.

>

>But I know you know this argument already!

>

>John

>-

> " peter hurd " <swpgh01

>

>Wednesday, April 05, 2006 6:53 PM

>Re: Leather and Wool

>

>

>> Gina,

>> You have already bought all those leather items, and if you cant afford

>to replace them what damage are you doing by using them? As things wear

out

>you will no doubt by vegan alternatives ( not many cars have leather seats

>?) there are plenty of vegan shoes/ furniture etc out there. And indeed

to

>not use the items you have bought would be a waste of resources, unles

>recycled ( give to charity shops etc). So dont sweat it, weve all been there

>on our transition to vegan. You are not alone or judged!

>>

>> The Valley Vegan...................

>>

>> Regina Fay Brook <ginafay wrote:

>> J-S

>> I see what you are saying and I do think I will definitely appear as

>a

>hypocrite...the only problem is this... my new car has all leather seats...

>our living room suite... all my bags.... most of my shoes... I am

>absolutely aghast at the amount of flesh I have in this house and appalled

>as well. I am ashamed to admit it.. especially in this forum...

>> I can't very well toss out the car.. and the suite.. well... I may as

>well toss out my husband then he is a Finance Director and will be tallying

>it all up... and not with a smile on his face!

>> Gina

>>

>> gushoneybungirl <gushoneybungirl wrote:

>> I stopped using all my leather and wool stuff as soon as I became

a

>Vegan.. if you don't, you will find plenty of people deleriously happy to

>call you a hypocrit - it's not worth giving them a chance. Best thing I

>could think of was to give it all to a Charity Shop - that way people who

>want it don't create demand for 'new' leather / wool goods for a while -

>it's a very small thing and there are no doubt several ways of looking at

>it, but as you can't bring it back to life, it's either that or the bin.

>>

>

>

>

>~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,

>there may be another side to the story you have not heard.

>---------------------------

>Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>

>Un: send a blank message to -

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

John, Oh no no.. you didn't make me feel like hypocrite! I feel like a hypocrite.. because well... goodness, currently I am one! I went around the house and took an inventory of all that is here that would be considered cruel... well.. goodness gracious I sleep on feather pillows.. down comforters.. leather shoes (most of them!) all the kids tennis shoes (trainers I think they are called here) are leather.. leather hair ties... wool.. cashmere, pashminas, gloves and hats..most of my coats have either leather or wool... even my makeup bag has leather.... the car seats even my steering wheel is leather and the thingie that covers the back part of my car where the groceries go is all leather... I looked through the cupboards and all our foodstores... well not all but tons have some kind of animal ingredient. So... I sat here in the midst of it all... thinking if I give it all away, I will be naked (that is cruel to many creatures!), shoeless, cold with

nowhere to sit and no vehicle.. even several of my books are leather bound!!!!!! I never realized the extent of all the death around me..the bristles on my some of my hairbrushes and makeup brushes.. you guessed it.. animal related! So... I have decided to do the total Vegan eating... that is now and phase out the food stores we already have with the rest of the family.. with only buying vegan food after that. No more buying of any consumer goods that are animal related and go through what I have that I dont truly need and give it away... the car has to stay (I am not rich) and I cant drive it without a steering wheel ;) On the subject of Vegan foods... Sainsbury's has alot alot of vegan foods... there is a brand called Free From as well with bunches of yummy things for the kids like chocolates, and custard and so far the dietary transition has been fun if a bit daunting. Ive switched the cats from IAMS to another brand. I've unloaded all my cookbooks and

have a brand new collection arriving daily in the mail. I also bought Vegan Living for Dummies.. that is really awesome as well and all of the links from everyone here have been so invaluable! I even went out and bought a nice bag yesterday that looks like leather but is made of PVC.. who would have thought!!! I think you are all totally awesome and the support here has been just so uplifting and wonderful. If I could give you all a great big hug I would!!!! Also the best thing is that.. I feel so much better about myself... wow. Yes, I have all this stuff still in the house and its a contradiction of terms that I am still utilizing them and some would say I am not vegan... I'm a vegan in training a "baby" vegan so to speak and I will get there but I do know I will do my very best to avoid contributing to anymore suffering from this day forward and I feel like such a better person for it... Y'all have been so supportive and I think you are all

great!!! Gina Regina Fay Brook, RN, BSN Personal Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/ginafay

Guest guest

Hi Jo, I bought some yesterday and I'll be having some for lunch.. I bought the premarinated kind that you have mentioned as well as a plain kind as well.. I have several different kinds of tofu now.. and I'm looking forward to trying them all :) GinaJo Kimberley <Kimberley1 wrote: Have you tried the marinated tofu by Cauldron available from Tesco and somehealthfood stores.Its already marinated in ginger and garlic and is very good and can be eatenon its own or mixed in with rice or salad etc,Jo>-- Original Message --> >Regina Fay Brook <ginafay>Thu, 6 Apr 2006 02:56:07 -0700 (PDT)>Re: Leather and Wool>

>>>John,> You are right... its a conflict I am going through and I will eventually>come to a resolution. Would you get rid of a 2005 Mercedes with all leather>seats that you just bought? Toss out your new leather three peice suite?>I mean I have them now and I wouldnt get them again.. but practically speaking..>do I throw out all my shoes? my coats? Its such a dilemna.. I am still trying>to figure out how to eat tofu, and what do you do with pearl barley.. and>what the heck is cous cous and houmous and how do I gag down soy milk ;)>I totally agree that I will appear very false and silly.. and I dont know>how as of yet to reconcile it other than to tell people that I know.. that>I have come to see the light and I am going to from this day forward becruelty>free and phase things out as I go.. but I also have to practical and asmuch>as

the leather on my seats makes me sad and I am ashamed... and the leather>suite makes me sad... its going to be an evolutionary change. I am quite>a> hypocrite with the car and the leather but I am so conflicted about itall..>*sigh* There is so much to think about and I appreciate all the feedback.>This is an awesome group... great food for thought for sure..and a wonderful>arena to provide further catalysts for change and growth.> Gina>>John Davis <mcxg46 wrote:> Hi,>>There are two valid sides to this one, of course. But, since you ask, the>harm you can be said to be doing is in peoples' perception of veganism.Tell>someone that you don't use leather because it is cruel to the cow, and>people understand, even if they think you mad. Tell them you don't use>leather, but because you already had this leather it is not

causing any>further cruelty, and you run the risk of people not understanding.>Especially, as, in most cases, they won't have the discussion with you ->they'll just see or hear of a vegan using leather and go away with the wrong>understanding of what a vegan is.>>But I know you know this argument already!>>John>- >"peter hurd" <swpgh01>>Wednesday, April 05, 2006 6:53 PM>Re: Leather and Wool>>>> Gina,>> You have already bought all those leather items, and if you cant afford>to replace them what damage are you doing by using them? As things wearout>you will no doubt by vegan alternatives ( not many cars have leather seats>?) there are plenty of vegan shoes/ furniture etc out there. And

indeedto>not use the items you have bought would be a waste of resources, unles>recycled ( give to charity shops etc). So dont sweat it, weve all been there>on our transition to vegan. You are not alone or judged!>>>> The Valley Vegan...................>>>> Regina Fay Brook <ginafay wrote:>> J-S>> I see what you are saying and I do think I will definitely appear as>a>hypocrite...the only problem is this... my new car has all leather seats...>our living room suite... all my bags.... most of my shoes... I am>absolutely aghast at the amount of flesh I have in this house and appalled>as well. I am ashamed to admit it.. especially in this forum...>> I can't very well toss out the car.. and the suite.. well... I may as>well toss out my husband then he is a

Finance Director and will be tallying>it all up... and not with a smile on his face!>> Gina>>>> gushoneybungirl <gushoneybungirl wrote:>> I stopped using all my leather and wool stuff as soon as I becamea>Vegan.. if you don't, you will find plenty of people deleriously happy to>call you a hypocrit - it's not worth giving them a chance. Best thing I>could think of was to give it all to a Charity Shop - that way people who>want it don't create demand for 'new' leather / wool goods for a while ->it's a very small thing and there are no doubt several ways of looking at>it, but as you can't bring it back to life, it's either that or the bin.>>>>>>~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,

>there may be another side to the story you have not heard.>--------------------------->Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>>Un: send a blank message to - >>>>>

Guest guest

If you are using the plain tofu, make sure that you rinse it under cold water, then squeeze out all the moisture first ( I usually put it under a weight on something absorbant ). You can either marinate it ( soy sauce,grated ginger and garlic is good - or whatever takes your fancy - curry paste? ) or just fry chunks of it to make crispy, and add to stews/currys/ pasta sauce etc........... The Valley Vegan................Regina Fay Brook <ginafay wrote: Hi Jo, I bought some yesterday and I'll be having some for lunch.. I bought the premarinated kind that you have mentioned as well as a plain kind as well.. I have several different kinds of tofu now.. and I'm looking forward to trying them all :) GinaJo Kimberley

<Kimberley1 wrote: Have you tried the marinated tofu by Cauldron available from Tesco and somehealthfood stores.Its already marinated in ginger and garlic and is very good and can be eatenon its own or mixed in with rice or salad etc,Jo>-- Original Message --> >Regina Fay Brook <ginafay>Thu, 6 Apr 2006 02:56:07 -0700 (PDT)>Re: Leather and Wool> >>>John,> You are right... its a conflict I am going through and I will eventually>come to a resolution. Would you get rid of a 2005 Mercedes with all leather>seats that you just bought? Toss out your new leather three peice suite?>I mean I have

them now and I wouldnt get them again.. but practically speaking..>do I throw out all my shoes? my coats? Its such a dilemna.. I am still trying>to figure out how to eat tofu, and what do you do with pearl barley.. and>what the heck is cous cous and houmous and how do I gag down soy milk ;)>I totally agree that I will appear very false and silly.. and I dont know>how as of yet to reconcile it other than to tell people that I know.. that>I have come to see the light and I am going to from this day forward becruelty>free and phase things out as I go.. but I also have to practical and asmuch>as the leather on my seats makes me sad and I am ashamed... and the leather>suite makes me sad... its going to be an evolutionary change. I am quite>a> hypocrite with the car and the leather but I am so conflicted about itall..>*sigh* There is so much to think about and I appreciate all

the feedback.>This is an awesome group... great food for thought for sure..and a wonderful>arena to provide further catalysts for change and growth.> Gina>>John Davis <mcxg46 wrote:> Hi,>>There are two valid sides to this one, of course. But, since you ask, the>harm you can be said to be doing is in peoples' perception of veganism.Tell>someone that you don't use leather because it is cruel to the cow, and>people understand, even if they think you mad. Tell them you don't use>leather, but because you already had this leather it is not causing any>further cruelty, and you run the risk of people not understanding.>Especially, as, in most cases, they won't have the discussion with you ->they'll just see or hear of a vegan using leather and go away with the wrong>understanding of what a vegan is.>>But I know you know

this argument already!>>John>- >"peter hurd" <swpgh01>>Wednesday, April 05, 2006 6:53 PM>Re: Leather and Wool>>>> Gina,>> You have already bought all those leather items, and if you cant afford>to replace them what damage are you doing by using them? As things wearout>you will no doubt by vegan alternatives ( not many cars have leather seats>?) there are plenty of vegan shoes/ furniture etc out there. And indeedto>not use the items you have bought would be a waste of resources, unles>recycled ( give to charity shops etc). So dont sweat it, weve all been there>on our transition to vegan. You are not alone or judged!>>>> The Valley Vegan...................>>>> Regina Fay

Brook <ginafay wrote:>> J-S>> I see what you are saying and I do think I will definitely appear as>a>hypocrite...the only problem is this... my new car has all leather seats...>our living room suite... all my bags.... most of my shoes... I am>absolutely aghast at the amount of flesh I have in this house and appalled>as well. I am ashamed to admit it.. especially in this forum...>> I can't very well toss out the car.. and the suite.. well... I may as>well toss out my husband then he is a Finance Director and will be tallying>it all up... and not with a smile on his face!>> Gina>>>> gushoneybungirl <gushoneybungirl wrote:>> I stopped using all my leather and wool stuff as soon as I becamea>Vegan.. if you don't, you will

find plenty of people deleriously happy to>call you a hypocrit - it's not worth giving them a chance. Best thing I>could think of was to give it all to a Charity Shop - that way people who>want it don't create demand for 'new' leather / wool goods for a while ->it's a very small thing and there are no doubt several ways of looking at>it, but as you can't bring it back to life, it's either that or the bin.>>>>>>~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, >there may be another side to the story you have not heard.>--------------------------->Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>>Un:

send a blank message to - >>>>>