IndiaDivine.org

The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I saw the programme, didnt think much of it, no mention of fake fur / alternatives which I thought would have been a major arguing point? The Valley Vegan...............essence_uk_2000 <Essence_uk wrote: For BBC primetime it could have been little better IMO, covered the main points. Sadly celebrities are the only way to get these issues discussed in a shallow culture. For a week the BBC will be sourcing it online. Spread the link around. Just click "video": http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/real_story/default.stm~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not

heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Well, McCartney's a lightweight veggie as well, so it's probably quite fitting...

-

peter hurd

Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:21 PM

Re: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade

I saw the programme, didnt think much of it, no mention of fake fur / alternatives which I thought would have been a major arguing point?

The Valley Vegan...............essence_uk_2000 <Essence_uk wrote:

For BBC primetime it could have been little better IMO, covered the main points. Sadly celebrities are the only way to get these issues discussed in a shallow culture. For a week the BBC will be sourcing it online. Spread the link around. Just click "video": http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/real_story/default.stm~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

What's lightweight about him? He's vegan, he believes what he says and he takes time out to say it....

On Behalf Of James Hodgskiss20 April 2006 20:44 Subject: Re: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade

Well, McCartney's a lightweight veggie as well, so it's probably quite fitting...

Guest guest

Why do you say he is a lightwieght? who are you the vegan police? The Valley Vegan..............James Hodgskiss <james wrote: Well, McCartney's a lightweight veggie as well, so it's probably quite fitting... - peter hurd Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:21 PM Re: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade I saw the programme, didnt think much of it, no mention of fake fur / alternatives which I thought would have been a major arguing point? The Valley Vegan...............essence_uk_2000 <Essence_uk wrote: For BBC primetime it could have been little better IMO, covered the main points. Sadly celebrities are the only way to get these issues discussed in a shallow culture. For a week the BBC will be sourcing it online. Spread the link around. Just click "video":

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/real_story/default.stm~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

I only watched the end( I couldn't bare to watch any of the other stuff) but I thought Heather did a very good job

and Paul expressed himself very well. But surely showing those videos of animals being skinned alive was enough

to show anybody how barbaric and cruel the fur industry is? I know somebody said they were defending some fur farmers,

which is a shame!!!

Jo

-

Michael Benis

Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:49 PM

RE: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade

What's lightweight about him? He's vegan, he believes what he says and he takes time out to say it....

On Behalf Of James Hodgskiss20 April 2006 20:44 Subject: Re: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade

Guest guest

I dont think that they were defending fur farmers, they were just trying to show both sides of the argument, and showed a mink farmer who moved to Denmark when it was banned in the UK , and he was saying how the ALF etc threatened him and his family. and how he humanely looks after his animals before he kills them and takes off their skins. Heather was doing a good job, I`m just not sure that she has a dynamic enough personality to do the job, she came across as a bit distant to me. The Valley Vegan............Joanne <Kimberley1 wrote: I only watched the end( I couldn't bare to watch any of the other stuff) but I thought Heather did a very good job and Paul expressed himself very well. But surely showing those videos of animals being skinned alive was enough to show anybody how barbaric and cruel the fur industry is? I know somebody said they were defending some fur farmers, which is a shame!!! Jo - Michael Benis

Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:49 PM RE: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade What's lightweight about him? He's vegan, he believes what he says and he takes time out to say it.... On Behalf Of James Hodgskiss20 April 2006 20:44 Subject: Re: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade Well, McCartney's a lightweight veggie as

well, so it's probably quite fitting... Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Guest guest

Peter,

What's your issue with me?!

According to Viva!, P McC is a vegetarian. For someone so involved with such a top-rate pro-vegan organisation, that is shocking.

And that's according to Viva! I've also hear him firsthand on the radio about animal-related stuff, and he says *nothing* about veganism.

Whether I'm the vegan police or not, Paul McCartney is doing a fraction of what he could do for animal welfare.

And if you don't like my views, sod off and have a go at Ronald McDonald instead.

-

peter hurd

Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:56 PM

Why do you say he is a lightwieght? who are you the vegan police?

The Valley Vegan..............James Hodgskiss <james wrote:

-

peter hurd

I saw the programme, didnt think much of it, no mention of fake fur / alternatives which I thought would have been a major arguing point?

For BBC primetime it could have been little better IMO, covered the main points. Sadly celebrities are the only way to get these issues discussed in a shallow culture. For a week the BBC will be sourcing it online. Spread the link around. Just click "video": http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/real_story/default.stm~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Charming! Why is that shocking? if he eat meat that would be shocking.If he is promoting a compasionate lifestyle and using his public persona to do so then good for him. He regularly supports PETA, Respect for animals and the humane society, as well as using his name harrasing politicians to help his wife with her campaigns. A lot of pop stars/celebs dont do diddly, so I personally think he should be encouraged and given his dues not slagged off. Could he do more? yes he probably could, and thanks for the offer of a McDeath burger, but I think that I`ll pass. But dont let me stop you............ The Valley Vegan...............James Hodgskiss <james wrote: Peter, What's your issue with me?! According to Viva!, P McC is a vegetarian. For someone so involved with such a top-rate pro-vegan organisation, that is shocking. And that's according to Viva! I've also hear him firsthand on the radio about animal-related stuff, and he says *nothing* about veganism. Whether I'm the vegan police or not, Paul McCartney is doing a fraction of what he could do for animal welfare. And if you don't like my views, sod off and have a go at Ronald McDonald instead. - peter hurd Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:56 PM Re: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade Why do you say he is a lightwieght? who are you the vegan police? The Valley Vegan..............James Hodgskiss <james wrote: Well, McCartney's a lightweight veggie as well, so it's probably quite fitting... - peter hurd Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:21 PM Re: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade I saw the programme, didnt think much of it, no mention of fake fur / alternatives which I thought would have been a major arguing point? The Valley Vegan...............essence_uk_2000 <Essence_uk wrote: For BBC primetime it could have been little better IMO, covered the main points. Sadly celebrities are the only way to get these issues discussed in a shallow culture. For a week the BBC will be sourcing it online. Spread the link around. Just click "video": http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/real_story/default.stm~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story

you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Hi,

Butting in here I know, but...

Paul McCartney is certainly only doing a fraction of what he could do for

animal welfare. But so am I. And so - I'm willing to bet, although I admit I

don't know how you spend your time so could be wrong - are you.

McCartney may have his flaws, and may not even be vegan, but on the other

hand he has just succeeded in showing footage of animals being crushed into

crates, tortured and skinned on prime time television, and which will have,

I suspect, a great impact on the minds of many viewers. Which is a hell of a

lot more than I've ever achieved.

So I think Peter's point was not that Paul McCartney is perfect, or even

that he shouldn't be criticised. But rather that we need to acknowledge that

none of us do as much as we could, and, in McCartney's case, it is perhaps

worth praising him for what he does as much as criticising him for what he

doesn't do.

John

-

" James Hodgskiss " <james

Thursday, April 20, 2006 11:04 PM

Peter,

According to Viva!, P McC is a vegetarian. For someone so involved with such

a top-rate pro-vegan organisation, that is shocking.

And that's according to Viva! I've also hear him firsthand on the radio

about animal-related stuff, and he says *nothing* about veganism.

Whether I'm the vegan police or not, Paul McCartney is doing a fraction of

what he could do for animal welfare.

And if you don't like my views, sod off and have a go at Ronald McDonald

instead.

-

peter hurd

The Valley Vegan..............

James Hodgskiss <james wrote:

Well, McCartney's a lightweight veggie as well, so it's probably quite

fitting...

-

peter hurd

I saw the programme, didnt think much of it, no mention of fake fur /

alternatives which I thought would have been a major arguing point?

The Valley Vegan...............

essence_uk_2000 <Essence_uk wrote:

For BBC primetime it could have been little better IMO, covered the

main points. Sadly celebrities are the only way to get these issues

discussed in a shallow culture. For a week the BBC will be sourcing

it

online. Spread the link around. Just click " video " :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/real_story/default.stm

~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,

there may be another side to the story you have not heard.

---------------------------

Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guidelines: visit

Un: send a blank message to

-

Guest guest

He went vegan last year. See e.g http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005200/bio

He also refuses to travel in cars with leather upholstery, have leather backstage, use non-vegetarian roadies etc.

On Behalf Of peter hurd21 April 2006 08:33 Subject: Re: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade

Charming!

Why is that shocking? if he eat meat that would be shocking.If he is promoting a compasionate lifestyle and using his public persona to do so then good for him. He regularly supports PETA, Respect for animals and the humane society, as well as using his name harrasing politicians to help his wife with her campaigns. A lot of pop stars/celebs dont do diddly, so I personally think he should be encouraged and given his dues not slagged off.

Could he do more? yes he probably could, and thanks for the offer of a McDeath burger, but I think that I`ll pass. But dont let me stop you............

The Valley Vegan...............James Hodgskiss <james wrote:

Peter,

According to Viva!, P McC is a vegetarian. For someone so involved with such a top-rate pro-vegan organisation, that is shocking.

And that's according to Viva! I've also hear him firsthand on the radio about animal-related stuff, and he says *nothing* about veganism.

Whether I'm the vegan police or not, Paul McCartney is doing a fraction of what he could do for animal welfare.

And if you don't like my views, sod off and have a go at Ronald McDonald instead.

-

peter hurd

-

peter hurd

Guest guest

Let's put it another way. He has put his name on the line and campaigned

fpor both PETA and Viva!

I'll bet that's not done any harm...

On Behalf Of

John Davis

21 April 2006 09:08

Hi,

Butting in here I know, but...

Paul McCartney is certainly only doing a fraction of what he could do for

animal welfare. But so am I. And so - I'm willing to bet, although I admit I

don't know how you spend your time so could be wrong - are you.

McCartney may have his flaws, and may not even be vegan, but on the other

hand he has just succeeded in showing footage of animals being crushed into

crates, tortured and skinned on prime time television, and which will have,

I suspect, a great impact on the minds of many viewers. Which is a hell of a

lot more than I've ever achieved.

So I think Peter's point was not that Paul McCartney is perfect, or even

that he shouldn't be criticised. But rather that we need to acknowledge that

none of us do as much as we could, and, in McCartney's case, it is perhaps

worth praising him for what he does as much as criticising him for what he

doesn't do.

John

-

" James Hodgskiss " <james

Thursday, April 20, 2006 11:04 PM

Peter,

According to Viva!, P McC is a vegetarian. For someone so involved with such

a top-rate pro-vegan organisation, that is shocking.

And that's according to Viva! I've also hear him firsthand on the radio

about animal-related stuff, and he says *nothing* about veganism.

Whether I'm the vegan police or not, Paul McCartney is doing a fraction of

what he could do for animal welfare.

And if you don't like my views, sod off and have a go at Ronald McDonald

instead.

-

peter hurd

The Valley Vegan..............

James Hodgskiss <james wrote:

Well, McCartney's a lightweight veggie as well, so it's probably quite

fitting...

-

peter hurd

I saw the programme, didnt think much of it, no mention of fake fur /

alternatives which I thought would have been a major arguing point?

The Valley Vegan...............

essence_uk_2000 <Essence_uk wrote:

For BBC primetime it could have been little better IMO, covered the

main points. Sadly celebrities are the only way to get these issues

discussed in a shallow culture. For a week the BBC will be sourcing

it

online. Spread the link around. Just click " video " :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/real_story/default.stm

~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,

there may be another side to the story you have not heard.

---------------------------

Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guidelines: visit

Un: send a blank message to

-

Guest guest

And congratulations for fitting into the I'm better than everyone category that the majority of vegans I've met seem to slot into. It's not about being a "hardcore" vegan or a "soft" vegetarian, it's about giving a shit and evidently we all do. Why should it matter if not all of us are doing as much as we can? At least we're trying. Paul McCartney might "only" be vegetarian, like myself, but at least he's not shovelling raw steak down his neck from a death ranch. Christ! Maybe it would be real nice if people could put their "I'm better than you 'cause I don't drink bloody milk" attitudes aside and remember what it is they're actually fighting for, eh? Not everyone's perfect, and not everyone can live a vegan lifestyle (I tried blimmin' hard, it cost me twice what I normally spend and I lost 7lbs in 10 days!!!) but none of us are condoning animal cruelty! We're all doing the best we can. So quit bickering. Seriously.peter hurd <swpgh01

wrote: Charming! Why is that shocking? if he eat meat that would be shocking.If he is promoting a compasionate lifestyle and using his public persona to do so then good for him. He regularly supports PETA, Respect for animals and the humane society, as well as using his name harrasing politicians to help his wife with her campaigns. A lot of pop stars/celebs dont do diddly, so I personally think he should be encouraged and given his dues not slagged off. Could he do more? yes he probably could, and thanks for the offer of a McDeath burger, but I think that I`ll pass. But dont let me stop you............ The Valley Vegan...............James Hodgskiss <james wrote: Peter, What's your issue with me?! According to Viva!, P McC is a vegetarian. For someone so involved with such a top-rate pro-vegan organisation, that is shocking. And that's according to Viva! I've also hear him firsthand on the radio about animal-related stuff, and he says *nothing* about veganism. Whether I'm the vegan police or not, Paul McCartney is doing a fraction of what he could do for animal welfare. And if you

don't like my views, sod off and have a go at Ronald McDonald instead. - peter hurd Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:56 PM Re: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade Why do you say he is a lightwieght? who are you the vegan police? The Valley Vegan..............James Hodgskiss <james wrote: Well, McCartney's a lightweight veggie as well, so it's probably quite fitting... - peter hurd Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:21 PM Re: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade I saw the programme, didnt think much of it, no mention of fake fur / alternatives which I thought would have been a major arguing point? The Valley Vegan...............essence_uk_2000 <Essence_uk wrote: For BBC primetime it could have been little better IMO, covered the main points. Sadly celebrities are the only way to get these issues discussed in a shallow culture. For a week the BBC will be sourcing it online. Spread the link around. Just click "video": http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/real_story/default.stm~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please

remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Yeah Morrissey is another one who speaks about animal rights so

strongly that it can be a bit frustrating to hear he has a dairy

heavy diet and wears silk shirts/leather shoes what have you. This

said just by the song " Meat Is Murder " he may have converted

thousands to go on to become veg*ns.

The problem as far as I can see it would be they are open to being

labelled hypocrites. This is true of many celebrities PETA use also.

, " John Davis " <mcxg46 wrote:

>

> Hi,

>

> Butting in here I know, but...

>

> Paul McCartney is certainly only doing a fraction of what he could

do for

> animal welfare. But so am I. And so - I'm willing to bet, although

I admit I

> don't know how you spend your time so could be wrong - are you.

>

> McCartney may have his flaws, and may not even be vegan, but on the

other

> hand he has just succeeded in showing footage of animals being

crushed into

> crates, tortured and skinned on prime time television, and which

will have,

> I suspect, a great impact on the minds of many viewers. Which is a

hell of a

> lot more than I've ever achieved.

>

> So I think Peter's point was not that Paul McCartney is perfect, or

even

> that he shouldn't be criticised. But rather that we need to

acknowledge that

> none of us do as much as we could, and, in McCartney's case, it is

perhaps

> worth praising him for what he does as much as criticising him for

what he

> doesn't do.

>

> John

> -

> " James Hodgskiss " <james

>

> Thursday, April 20, 2006 11:04 PM

> Re: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade

>

>

> Peter,

>

> What's your issue with me?!

>

> According to Viva!, P McC is a vegetarian. For someone so involved

with such

> a top-rate pro-vegan organisation, that is shocking.

>

> And that's according to Viva! I've also hear him firsthand on the

radio

> about animal-related stuff, and he says *nothing* about veganism.

>

> Whether I'm the vegan police or not, Paul McCartney is doing a

fraction of

> what he could do for animal welfare.

>

> And if you don't like my views, sod off and have a go at Ronald

McDonald

> instead.

> -

> peter hurd

>

> Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:56 PM

>

>

> Why do you say he is a lightwieght? who are you the vegan police?

>

> The Valley Vegan..............

>

> James Hodgskiss <james wrote:

> Well, McCartney's a lightweight veggie as well, so it's

probably quite

> fitting...

> -

> peter hurd

>

> Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:21 PM

>

>

> I saw the programme, didnt think much of it, no mention of

fake fur /

> alternatives which I thought would have been a major arguing point?

>

> The Valley Vegan...............

>

> essence_uk_2000 <Essence_uk wrote:

> For BBC primetime it could have been little better IMO,

covered the

> main points. Sadly celebrities are the only way to get

these issues

> discussed in a shallow culture. For a week the BBC will be

sourcing

> it

> online. Spread the link around. Just click " video " :

>

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/real_story/default.stm

>

>

>

>

>

> ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the

author,

> there may be another side to the story you have not heard.

> ---------------------------

> Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Guidelines: visit

> Un: send a blank message to

> -

>

Guest guest

For someone who doesn't like bickering, Anne, you certainly have an interesting tone of voice.

Sorry you spent a lot of money buying silly products and lost weight when you went vegan. Neither are necessary, but that's you're affair.

A lot of vegans feel as strongly about milk as you obviously do about meat. I think you're just going to have to accept that. You may find it easier to accept their irritation, as irritating as it is, if you accept your own.

As far as I am aware, PM has been vegan since early last year. I agree he has done more through his celebrity than many of us will in bringing these issues to people's attention and all credit to him for it.

I also agree that the holier than thou business is a major pain. Unfortunately humans have a peculiar gift for it. Like systematic bullying. Though I believe monkey's can come a close second.

On Behalf Of Anna Midgley22 April 2006 19:55 Subject: Re: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade

And congratulations for fitting into the I'm better than everyone category that the majority of vegans I've met seem to slot into. It's not about being a "hardcore" vegan or a "soft" vegetarian, it's about giving a shit and evidently we all do. Why should it matter if not all of us are doing as much as we can? At least we're trying. Paul McCartney might "only" be vegetarian, like myself, but at least he's not shovelling raw steak down his neck from a death ranch. Christ! Maybe it would be real nice if people could put their "I'm better than you 'cause I don't drink bloody milk" attitudes aside and remember what it is they're actually fighting for, eh? Not everyone's perfect, and not everyone can live a vegan lifestyle (I tried blimmin' hard, it cost me twice what I normally spend and I lost 7lbs in 10 days!!!) but none of us are condoning animal cruelty! We're all doing the best we can. So quit bickering. Seriously.peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Charming!

Why is that shocking? if he eat meat that would be shocking.If he is promoting a compasionate lifestyle and using his public persona to do so then good for him. He regularly supports PETA, Respect for animals and the humane society, as well as using his name harrasing politicians to help his wife with her campaigns. A lot of pop stars/celebs dont do diddly, so I personally think he should be encouraged and given his dues not slagged off.

Could he do more? yes he probably could, and thanks for the offer of a McDeath burger, but I think that I`ll pass. But dont let me stop you............

Peter,

-

peter hurd

-

peter hurd

Guest guest

I'm so glad to hear that Paul McCartney has gone vegan and hasn't Heather done well for going vegan so quickly compared to most of us.

I personally think that people who stay vegetarian even though that there is just the same amount of cruelty in the Dairy industry( and probably more)

compared to the meat industry its very hypocritical and I don't understand it. I knew about vegansim 20 years ago but I never found out about

the horrendous cruelty involved in producing dairy products until 8 years ago and I went vegan overnight and I've never looked back,- I just could never , ever eat dairy procucts again ( and especially what I know now regarding diet, unnaturalness etc). I think I would honestly prefer to eat meat if I had to.

Anyway does any body know how I can lose weight? - I'm still trying to lose 5kg after having a baby :)

Jo

-

Michael Benis

Sunday, April 23, 2006 7:20 AM

RE: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade

For someone who doesn't like bickering, Anne, you certainly have an interesting tone of voice.

Sorry you spent a lot of money buying silly products and lost weight when you went vegan. Neither are necessary, but that's you're affair.

A lot of vegans feel as strongly about milk as you obviously do about meat. I think you're just going to have to accept that. You may find it easier to accept their irritation, as irritating as it is, if you accept your own.

As far as I am aware, PM has been vegan since early last year. I agree he has done more through his celebrity than many of us will in bringing these issues to people's attention and all credit to him for it.

I also agree that the holier than thou business is a major pain. Unfortunately humans have a peculiar gift for it. Like systematic bullying. Though I believe monkey's can come a close second.

On Behalf Of Anna Midgley22 April 2006 19:55 Subject: Re: The McCartneys Versus The Fur Trade

And congratulations for fitting into the I'm better than everyone category that the majority of vegans I've met seem to slot into. It's not about being a "hardcore" vegan or a "soft" vegetarian, it's about giving a shit and evidently we all do. Why should it matter if not all of us are doing as much as we can? At least we're trying. Paul McCartney might "only" be vegetarian, like myself, but at least he's not shovelling raw steak down his neck from a death ranch. Christ! Maybe it would be real nice if people could put their "I'm better than you 'cause I don't drink bloody milk" attitudes aside and remember what it is they're actually fighting for, eh? Not everyone's perfect, and not everyone can live a vegan lifestyle (I tried blimmin' hard, it cost me twice what I normally spend and I lost 7lbs in 10 days!!!) but none of us are condoning animal cruelty! We're all doing the best we can. So quit bickering. Seriously.peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Charming!

Peter,

-

peter hurd

-

peter hurd

Guest guest

Anne,

If it was one of those 'is the glass half full or half empty' issues then I'd back down. But it's a 'is the glass a quarter full or three-quarters empty' thing - and so I describe it as the latter.

I don't care whether a vegetarian is too hypocritical, ignorant or weak-willed to be a vegan - it's their problem. As for the "I'm better than everyone" remark, well I do think veganism is better than vegetarianism and, therefore - from the dietary point of view - vegans are better than vegetarians. I can't see there is much debate to be had on the issue.

My point about Paul McCartney is that here is a major celebrity with major opportunities to put veganism on the map, rather than leaving it languishing in obscurity. I find it thoroughly frustrating everytime I meet someone who assumes I must be a vegan because of some religion doctrine, or that I only eat vegetables, or that I must also be into basket weaving or pottery...

It's partly due to people like Paul McCartney not making better use of their opportunities that veganism is still considered so odd.

Cheers,James

-

Anna Midgley

Saturday, April 22, 2006 7:55 PM

Charming!

Peter,

-

peter hurd

-

peter hurd