IndiaDivine.org

can anyone help me?!!!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I've been a vegetarian for years and have recently become a vegan, but

I'm not sure of all the things that have animal derivatives in, for

example i'v heard that many shampoos and soaps use animal products? if

so can anyone give me names of some that don't!

also can anyone think of things that use animal products that aren't

obvious please?

thanks all

xxx

Guest guest

Obvious things to look out for are milk protiens and honey, Toiletries and cosmetics may contain animal products,

or have been tested on animals. There are, however, plenty of cruelty-free alternatives available. Look out for The Vegan Society's logo on a wide range of soaps, shampoos, perfumes, moisturizers, cleansers, sunscreens, shower gels...and for even more variety, just take a look in the Animal Free

Shopper, The Vegan Society’s indispensable guide to vegan products. Lipsticks may contain lanolin (a grease derived from wool) or beeswax. Shellac (crushed insects) may be used in nail varnish. Civet (from anal pouch of civet cat), musk (from male musk deer),

castoreum (anal sex gland of the beaver) and ambergris (whale excretion) may be used in perfumes. Chitin (from insects and crustacea) and keratin (protein from hair, horn, hoof and feathers) may be used in shampoos, conditioners and skin care products. Tallow (hard animal fat) is commonly used in soaps. Gelatine (from animal bones, skin and hide), elastin (from meat), squalene (from liver of shark), urea (waste nitrogen), honey (bee food) or propolis (bee glue) may be used in the general production of toiletries and cosmetics. Buy

cruelty-free You could always buy the latest animal free shopper from the vegan society at : http://www.vegansociety.com/catalog/product_info.php? products_id=238 Personally I use Faith In Nature shampoo : http://www.vegansociety.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=238 Hope this helps. The Valley Vegan................tashacoreen <tashacoreen wrote: I've been a vegetarian for years and have recently become a vegan, but I'm not sure of all the things that have animal derivatives in, for example i'v heard that many shampoos and soaps use animal products? if so can anyone give me names of some that don't!also can anyone think of things that use animal products that aren't obvious please?thanks allxxx~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Check out the Vegan Society (as has already been mentioned) for the

finer details. There are several good brands of shampoos, soaps etc

that are animal-friendly - the Original Source range of toiletries are

nice, and carry the Vegan Society logo. Lush don't test on animals,

all their stuff is vegetarian, and much of it is vegan - I think they

indicate which their vegan products are with a green sticker. Ecover

have a wide range of household products (laundry detergent, floor

cleaner etc) which are also very environmentally-friendly, although

look out for the milk that they have for some reason put in one of

their washing up liquids. Faith In Nature are a similar ethical

household range. Co-op own-brand products are BUAV (British Union for

the Abolition of Vivisection) approved. Many supermarket own-brands

are OK, just check the ingredients and check out their animal-testing

policy. Basically, as you start looking around for suitable products

you'll find them, there's quite a lot of choice out there. Good luck,

and congrats on going vegan!

, " tashacoreen " <tashacoreen wrote:

>

> I've been a vegetarian for years and have recently become a vegan,

but

> I'm not sure of all the things that have animal derivatives in, for

> example i'v heard that many shampoos and soaps use animal products?

if

> so can anyone give me names of some that don't!

> also can anyone think of things that use animal products that aren't

> obvious please?

> thanks all

> xxx

>

Guest guest

Original source stuff is vegan. I turned vegan a few months ago and found the animal free shopper(book produced by hte vegan society) essential. You can find it on the shopping section of the vegan society website.

Jen

"tashacoreen" <tashacoreen To: Subject: can anyone help me?!!!!Sun, 09 Jul 2006 18:04:34 -0000

I've been a vegetarian for years and have recently become a vegan, but I'm not sure of all the things that have animal derivatives in, for example i'v heard that many shampoos and soaps use animal products? if so can anyone give me names of some that don't!also can anyone think of things that use animal products that aren't obvious please?thanks allxxx