IndiaDivine.org

Introducing myself...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Abby,

I have had clinical depression practically all my life. I can tell you the

times I felt the BEST were when I was eating all raw and/or juicing/fasting.

Just eating right. The only med for depression I've ever taken was St. John's

Wort, a few years back. Worked for awhile, but I don't take it anymore. Hope

this helps...

Cathe

Guest guest

Just a caution to taper the medication off slowly.

Books by Peter Breggin do a good job of explaining some of the problems

with SSRI anti-depressants, including detailed information on the deeply

flawed approval process for Prozac, in the book Talking Back to Prozac.

(He has no particular advice to offer about nutrition, and nothing on raw

foods--but it's worthy reading nevertheless.)

Another fairly good resources is

http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/

A few additional resources:

http://abcnews.go.com/onair/2020/2020_000825_SSRIwithdrawal_feature.html

http://www.prozactruth.com/taper.htm

College will offer a lot of ups and downs. It's the nature of " the beast. "

I think of exercise as the best antidepressant. Raw foods offer a

close second. Check out all the sports and recreations opportunities at

the college that you pick.

I'm extremely interested in this subject, by the way. I'd love to know of

_any_ mental health program in the country that treats depression

primarily via diet and exercise. Is there anybody out there doing that?

One more thought: note especially on that alternativementalhealth.com the

practitioner directory, including a number of professionals who can help

you (anyone) get off antidepressants safely.

All the best,

Margie

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, tresnje650 wrote:

> Hi everyone,

> I'm a 16 yr old getting ready to go off to college and am interested

> in Raw Foods, which I discovered when I by chance picked up

> Juliano's book. I suppose I eat maybe 30% raw now...I like the food,

> but a lot of times I just get cravings for cooked food. Anyway, I am

> on 3 antidepressants and was reading on the list how Raw foods has

> lifted some of your depression. I was wondering, did anyone here

> have clinical depression that they were treating with medication,

> and was able to go off the medication without experiencing a relapse

> after starting a raw foods lifestyle?

> Thanks,

> Abby

--

Marjorie Roswell

3443 Guilford Terrace

Baltimore, MD 21218

mroswell

410-467-3727

Newest Site: rawfoodwiki.org

Guest guest

Hi Abby,

Diagnosed clinical depression, was on Prozac here.

I bought and read the book Depression Free for Life by

Gabriel Cousens. It is a rather complex book, but he

suggests supplementing with amino acids in addition to

dietary changes. I have been gradually increasing the

tryptophan I take and decreasing the Prozac for

several months now. I feel fine, no depression or

" discontinuation symptoms " . I am only taking 20 mg

once a week now of Prozac, which is probably not worth

taking at all at this point, but my next step will be

to discontinue this altogether. I feel pretty

confident I will be fine when I do.

The book is worth buying. Good luck.

Sally

--- tresnje650 <sound_and_fury wrote:

> Hi everyone,

> I'm a 16 yr old getting ready to go off to college

> and am interested

> in Raw Foods, which I discovered when I by chance

> picked up

> Juliano's book. I suppose I eat maybe 30% raw

> now...I like the food,

> but a lot of times I just get cravings for cooked

> food. Anyway, I am

> on 3 antidepressants and was reading on the list how

> Raw foods has

> lifted some of your depression. I was wondering, did

> anyone here

> have clinical depression that they were treating

> with medication,

> and was able to go off the medication without

> experiencing a relapse

> after starting a raw foods lifestyle?

> Thanks,

> Abby

>

>

>

SBC DSL - Now only $29.95 per month!

http://sbc.

Guest guest

Margie,

I'm extremely interested in this subject, by the way. I'd love to know of

_any_ mental health program in the country that treats depression

primarily via diet and exercise. Is there anybody out there doing that?

<I, too, am extremely interested in this subject. I *wish* I were doing what

you are trying to find. I have fantasized about it a million times -- running a

sanitarium, but I am instead raising a family. Ah, well, maybe someday. This is

a subject that NEEDS attention, in my opinion.

Thanks, too, for the links. Hope to check them out soon.>

Cathe

• 1 year later...

Hi Jeff

You know it's easier if you concentate on all the good things you can have, fill a note book with new foods you find and like.

You gave up all the other things for a very good reason, hold on to that too.

Well done so far, what an adventure you're on,

Luvnlight

LM

-

Jeff Jaeger

Friday, October 29, 2004 4:40 AM

introducing myself...

hello all...

my name is Jeff... I've been vegan for about two months now, after reading Diet For A New America... I was vegetarian for about a year when I was 20, but had a hard time being healthy about it. I realize now that I hadn't done the appropriate research, and wasn't eating a wide enough variety of things. and I was CLUELESS about all the hormones and chemicals they put into the animals raised for food.

in any case, I've never been a big meet eater. what's tough for me is the dairy products (cheese!) and eggs. I look forward to getting more familiar with the soy versions of things.

:-)

since going vegan, I've been thinking that I'll have to figure out vegan substitutes to use with my favorite recipes... the main ones are potato pepper soup, beef barley stew, vegetable quiche, and a pork roast. (oh, and pot roast).

Jeff

You can donate to the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund athttp://www.audreyhepburn.com

To send an email to -

"luvnlight"? :-)

must be wiccan?

I realized after I sent my intro that I did focus on the negative... (I'm also working to focus more on the positive things in life now).

I've seen a few emails on here about missing yogurt etc...

and I realized... it should be about what we get to have, not what we're giving up. I want some good recipes to try! I've always liked good vegetarian recipes... often more than recipes with meat and dairy products.

so that's what I'm going to focus on.

one helpful thing I've found... I found a really good chinese buffet, and I go there once a week (on Sunday afternoon) to kind of pig out. they have lots of great vegan type dishes, and they even let you put together your own stir fry and cook it up in front of you... so that gives me a great meal to look forward to each week (and hiking afterwards)

meanwhile, I'm learning more about nutrition (still need to learn more), and how to eat vegan... where to get fresh organic produce and soy products, etc. (there are some good places here that cater to vegan and health nuts).

andrew mcgregor <andrew.mcgregor6 wrote:

Hi Jeff

You know it's easier if you concentate on all the good things you can have, fill a note book with new foods you find and like.

Luvnlight

LM

-

Jeff Jaeger

introducing myself...

hello all...

my name is Jeff... I've been vegan for about two months now, after reading Diet For A New America... I was vegetarian for about a year when I was 20, but had a hard time being healthy about it. I realize now that I hadn't done the appropriate research, and wasn't eating a wide enough variety of things. and I was CLUELESS about all the hormones and chemicals they put into the animals raised for food.

in any case, I've never been a big meet eater. what's tough for me is the dairy products (cheese!) and eggs. I look forward to getting more familiar with the soy versions of things.

since going vegan, I've been thinking that I'll have to figure out vegan substitutes to use with my favorite recipes... the main ones are potato pepper soup, beef barley stew, vegetable quiche, and a pork roast. (oh, and pot roast).

Jeff

You can donate to the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund athttp://www.audreyhepburn.com

To send an email to -

To send an email to - You can donate to the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund athttp://www.audreyhepburn.com

Hi Jeff - welcome.

There are vegan substitutes for just about all dairy items - milk, cream, cheese. There are also substitutes to use instead of eggs in cooking. I'm assuming you live in the States, and I am sure lots of our American friends can recommend items for use.

Jo

-

Jeff Jaeger

introducing myself...

hello all...

Jeff

To send an email to -

Yes Jeff I've often been called a witch

Lesley

-

Jeff Jaeger

Friday, October 29, 2004 3:21 PM

Re: introducing myself...

must be wiccan?

I realized after I sent my intro that I did focus on the negative... (I'm also working to focus more on the positive things in life now).

and I realized... it should be about what we get to have, not what we're giving up. I want some good recipes to try! I've always liked good vegetarian recipes... often more than recipes with meat and dairy products.

one helpful thing I've found... I found a really good chinese buffet, and I go there once a week (on Sunday afternoon) to kind of pig out. they have lots of great vegan type dishes, and they even let you put together your own stir fry and cook it up in front of you... so that gives me a great meal to look forward to each week (and hiking afterwards)

meanwhile, I'm learning more about nutrition (still need to learn more), and how to eat vegan... where to get fresh organic produce and soy products, etc. (there are some good places here that cater to vegan and health nuts).

Hi Jeff

Luvnlight

LM

-

Jeff Jaeger

introducing myself...

hello all...

Jeff

To send an email to -

To send an email to - You can donate to the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund athttp://www.audreyhepburn.com

To send an email to -

correct... I do live in the states.

I've seen the soy milk and cheese products. what is a substitute for eggs?

you remind me of a question that came up while chatting with my aussie e-pal today... the reasons I went vegan are the treatment of the animals being raised for food and the drugs and hormones that are put into them. do those same conditions exist outside of the US?

Jo bb <Heartwork wrote:

Hi Jeff - welcome.

There are vegan substitutes for just about all dairy items - milk, cream, cheese. There are also substitutes to use instead of eggs in cooking. I'm assuming you live in the States, and I am sure lots of our American friends can recommend items for use.

Jo

-

Jeff Jaeger

introducing myself...

hello all...

Jeff

To send an email to - To send an email to - You can donate to the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund athttp://www.audreyhepburn.com

Take Mail with you! Get it on your mobile phone.

oh... true. but I used to run around with a bunch of Pagans in college, and they were mostly Wiccan... so that's what came to mind.

Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Jeff

> "luvnlight"? :-)

> must be wiccan?

Why specifically Wiccan? Why not just generic Pagan?

BB

PeterTo send an email to - You can donate to the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund athttp://www.audreyhepburn.com

Hi Jeff

> oh... true. but I used to run around with a bunch of Pagans in college, and they were mostly Wiccan... so that's what came

> to mind

Fair enough... it's just one of my particular foibles... I get a bit cheesed off with the public perception that all Pagans and witches are Wiccan. It always seems a bit like assuming that all Christians are 7th Day Adventists!

BB

Peter

well, I can't help it if some people are rude...

Yes Jeff I've often been called a witch

Lesley

-

Jeff Jaeger

Friday, October 29, 2004 3:21 PM

must be wiccan?

Hi Jeff

Luvnlight

LM

-

Jeff Jaeger

introducing myself...

hello all...

Jeff

To send an email to -

To send an email to -

Read only the mail you want - Mail SpamGuard.

then I apologize.

and the thing is, I should know better.

Hi Jeff

> oh... true. but I used to run around with a bunch of Pagans in college, and they were mostly Wiccan... so that's what came

> to mind

Fair enough... it's just one of my particular foibles... I get a bit cheesed off with the public perception that all Pagans and witches are Wiccan. It always seems a bit like assuming that all Christians are 7th Day Adventists!

BB

PeterTo send an email to - You can donate to the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund athttp://www.audreyhepburn.com

is that soy cheese peter?

:) Peter Oct 29, 2004 11:18 AM Re: introducing myself...

Hi Jeff

> to mind

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Don't apologise Jeff i'm just a witch in all relegions

Lesley

-

Jeff Jaeger

Friday, October 29, 2004 7:20 PM

then I apologize.

and the thing is, I should know better.

Hi Jeff

> to mind

BB

To send an email to -

- Jo bb

Saturday, October 30, 2004 4:27 PM

I think in the UK they are not allowed to use growth hormones on the animals, but they use antibiotics with abandon, and probably several other nasties.

Jo

-

Jeff Jaeger

Friday, October 29, 2004 6:54 PM

correct... I do live in the states.

I've seen the soy milk and cheese products. what is a substitute for eggs?

you remind me of a question that came up while chatting with my aussie e-pal today... the reasons I went vegan are the treatment of the animals being raised for food and the drugs and hormones that are put into them. do those same conditions exist outside of the US?

Jo bb <Heartwork wrote:

Hi Jeff - welcome.

Jo

-

Jeff Jaeger

introducing myself...

hello all...

Jeff

To send an email to - To send an email to - You can donate to the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund athttp://www.audreyhepburn.com

Take Mail with you! Get it on your mobile phone. To send an email to -

• 2 months later...

Hi there I just wanted to introduce to myself to the list; my name is

Stef, I'm 27 and live in Macclesfield, Cheshire. I've only just

recently decided to become a vegan, and although I'm not 100% vegan

yet, I am nearly there. I've been vegetarian for a while but decided

to try veganism due to a dairy intolerance, and more importantly for

animal welfare. Whilst looking up dairy-free recipes I came across the

truth behind how (factory) animals are really treated. Prior to that I

always felt animals were treated humanely prior to slaughter - I can't

believe how wrong I was. So at the moment I'm researching how I can

make changes in my life to improve things. I'm more than happy to

never eat meat & fish again (never liked the taste much anyway), and

so far I've cut out the majority of dairy from my diet (if I do have

dairy, due to my intolerance it makes me feel quite ill). I've even

given away my leather boxing gloves (I'm a kickboxer), and I have

synthetic ones instead :)

I'm also learning about what products are 'animal-friendly', and as it

is a lifestyle change I wil not call myself a vegan until I've become

more familiar with the changes I want to make.

I've also been a student for ages - I have a degree in Psychology and

a Masters in Forensic Psychology. I've almost completed another degree

in Forensic Science and want to work with the police/forensic

services. In my spare time I like kickboxing/thaiboxing, researching

and drinking (socially of course) ;)

Nice to meet you!

Stef