IndiaDivine.org

[100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

To me, Oreo's are the ultimate in unhealthy junk food - they are made with HYDROGENATED OILS!

For those who are health-concious, vegan or otherwise, they would want to put hydrogenated oil into their bodies; I know that I certainly do not.

And why would one who is health-concious want to put all of that sugar and white flour into their bodies?! Not me!! Gross!--- On Sun, 2/15/09, swpgh01.t21 <swpgh01.t21 wrote:

swpgh01.t21 <swpgh01.t21[100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)vegan-network Date: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 3:47 PM

VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)It may be hard to believe, but Oreos are vegan. So, let's take the already-sweet classic cookies, combine them with a lot more sugar, and turn them into cupcakes! This is proof of my firm belief that a dessert can never be too indulgent.To be honest, I wasn't really into desserts until I started baking them. Sure, I enjoyed cake and soy ice cream as much as the next person, but I never really craved them. Now, I enjoy the science involved in baking. The satisfaction comes from getting the delicate balance among all the ingredients just right—now that is what I crave.The chocolate cake recipe below is from The Grit's own bakery, where I once worked. Don't worry—the recipe was published in The Grit's cookbook, so it's not like I'm giving away any secrets. These cupcakes are delicious, with a rich chocolaty flavor enhanced by

the strong brewed coffee used in the batter. Another added bonus is that the recipe is almost impossible to mess up. Guaranteed success sounds like as good a reason as any to try a recipe, if you ask me.To find more foods that, like Oreos, are accidentally vegan and easily found in your local grocery store, visit the VegCooking Shopping Guide. Oreo Crumble Cupcakes Grit Chocolate Cupcakes:4 1/2 cups flour3 cups sugar1 cup cocoa1/2 Tbsp. salt1 Tbsp. baking soda1 1/2 cups vegetable oil1/8 cup vanilla extract3 cups strongly brewed coffee1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. vinegar-- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.-- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda until well combined.-- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla and mix until just combined. Slowly add the coffee, mixing for a few minutes. Scrape the sides and

bottom of the bowl. Mix again until very smooth.-- Add the vinegar and mix for 1 minute.-- Fill each cupcake liner about two-thirds full.-- Bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.

So use Newman O's instead.

Danielle

EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOODJoin me

vegan-network From: jojo46580Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:24:01 -0800Re: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)

To me, Oreo's are the ultimate in unhealthy junk food - they are made with HYDROGENATED OILS!

For those who are health-concious, vegan or otherwise, they would want to put hydrogenated oil into their bodies; I know that I certainly do not.

And why would one who is health-concious want to put all of that sugar and white flour into their bodies?! Not me!! Gross!--- On Sun, 2/15/09, swpgh01.t21 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com <swpgh01.t21 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com> wrote:

swpgh01.t21 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com <swpgh01.t21 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com>[100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)vegan-network Date: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 3:47 PM

VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)It may be hard to believe, but Oreos are vegan. So, let's take the already-sweet classic cookies, combine them with a lot more sugar, and turn them into cupcakes! This is proof of my firm belief that a dessert can never be too indulgent.To be honest, I wasn't really into desserts until I started baking them. Sure, I enjoyed cake and soy ice cream as much as the next person, but I never really craved them. Now, I enjoy the science involved in baking. The satisfaction comes from getting the delicate balance among all the ingredients just right—now that is what I crave.The chocolate cake recipe below is from The Grit's own bakery, where I once worked. Don't worry—the recipe was published in The Grit's cookbook, so it's not like I'm giving away any secrets. These cupcakes are delicious, with a rich chocolaty flavor enhanced by the strong brewed coffee used in the batter. Another added bonus is that the recipe is almost impossible to mess up. Guaranteed success sounds like as good a reason as any to try a recipe, if you ask me.To find more foods that, like Oreos, are accidentally vegan and easily found in your local grocery store, visit the VegCooking Shopping Guide. Oreo Crumble Cupcakes Grit Chocolate Cupcakes:4 1/2 cups flour3 cups sugar1 cup cocoa1/2 Tbsp. salt1 Tbsp. baking soda1 1/2 cups vegetable oil1/8 cup vanilla extract3 cups strongly brewed coffee1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. vinegar-- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.-- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda until well combined.-- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla and mix until just combined. Slowly add the coffee, mixing for a few minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Mix again until very smooth.-- Add the vinegar and mix for 1 minute.-- Fill each cupcake liner about two-thirds full.-- Bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.

I finally tried Newman O's, and they rock! I have been told that Oreos have lard in that cream... icky. KrisDon't forget to check out my blog at:

www.roguedecadence.vox.com

& my online store at:

www.roguedecadence.etsy.com--- On Sun, 2/15/09, Danielle Kichler <veggietart wrote:Danielle Kichler <veggietartRE: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)vegan-network Date: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 5:15 PM

Danielle

vegan-networkjojo46580 Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:24:01 -0800Re: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)

And why would one who is health-concious want to put all of that sugar and white flour into their bodies?! Not me!! Gross!--- On Sun, 2/15/09, swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com <swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com> wrote:

swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com <swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com>[100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)vegan-networkSunday, February 15, 2009, 3:47 PM

VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)It may be hard to believe, but Oreos are vegan. So, let's take the already-sweet classic cookies, combine them with a lot more sugar, and turn them into cupcakes! This is proof of my firm belief that a dessert can never be too indulgent.To be honest, I wasn't really into desserts until I started baking them. Sure, I enjoyed cake and soy ice cream as much as the next person, but I never really craved them. Now, I enjoy the science involved in baking. The satisfaction comes from getting the delicate balance among all the ingredients just right—now that is what I crave.The chocolate cake recipe below is from The Grit's own bakery, where I once worked. Don't worry—the recipe was published in The Grit's cookbook, so it's not like I'm giving away any secrets. These cupcakes are delicious, with a rich chocolaty flavor enhanced by

the strong brewed coffee used in the batter. Another added bonus is that the recipe is almost impossible to mess up. Guaranteed success sounds like as good a reason as any to try a recipe, if you ask me.To find more foods that, like Oreos, are accidentally vegan and easily found in your local grocery store, visit the VegCooking Shopping Guide. Oreo Crumble Cupcakes Grit Chocolate Cupcakes:4 1/2 cups flour3 cups sugar1 cup cocoa1/2 Tbsp. salt1 Tbsp. baking soda1 1/2 cups vegetable oil1/8 cup vanilla extract3 cups strongly brewed coffee1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. vinegar-- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.-- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda until well combined.-- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla and mix until just combined. Slowly add the coffee, mixing for a few minutes. Scrape the sides and

bottom of the bowl. Mix again until very smooth.-- Add the vinegar and mix for 1 minute.-- Fill each cupcake liner about two-thirds full.-- Bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.

i do like them newman o's on occasion

and, hey..they are organic

:)

Kris DuVall Feb 16, 2009 9:42 AM vegan-network RE: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)

I finally tried Newman O's, and they rock! I have been told that Oreos have lard in that cream... icky. KrisDon't forget to check out my blog at:www.roguedecadence.vox.com & my online store at:www.roguedecadence.etsy.com--- On Sun, 2/15/09, Danielle Kichler <veggietart (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Danielle Kichler <veggietart (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>RE: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)vegan-network Date: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 5:15 PM

Danielle

vegan-networkjojo46580 Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:24:01 -0800Re: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)

And why would one who is health-concious want to put all of that sugar and white flour into their bodies?! Not me!! Gross!--- On Sun, 2/15/09, swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com <swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com> wrote:

swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com <swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com>[100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)vegan-networkSunday, February 15, 2009, 3:47 PM

VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)It may be hard to believe, but Oreos are vegan. So, let's take the already-sweet classic cookies, combine them with a lot more sugar, and turn them into cupcakes! This is proof of my firm belief that a dessert can never be too indulgent.To be honest, I wasn't really into desserts until I started baking them. Sure, I enjoyed cake and soy ice cream as much as the next person, but I never really craved them. Now, I enjoy the science involved in baking. The satisfaction comes from getting the delicate balance among all the ingredients just right—now that is what I crave.The chocolate cake recipe below is from The Grit's own bakery, where I once worked. Don't worry—the recipe was published in The Grit's cookbook, so it's not like I'm giving away any secrets. These cupcakes are delicious, with a rich chocolaty flavor enhanced by the strong brewed coffee used in the batter. Another added bonus is that the recipe is almost impossible to mess up. Guaranteed success sounds like as good a reason as any to try a recipe, if you ask me.To find more foods that, like Oreos, are accidentally vegan and easily found in your local grocery store, visit the VegCooking Shopping Guide. Oreo Crumble Cupcakes Grit Chocolate Cupcakes:4 1/2 cups flour3 cups sugar1 cup cocoa1/2 Tbsp. salt1 Tbsp. baking soda1 1/2 cups vegetable oil1/8 cup vanilla extract3 cups strongly brewed coffee1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. vinegar-- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.-- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda until well combined.-- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla and mix until just combined. Slowly add the coffee, mixing for a few minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Mix again until very smooth.-- Add the vinegar and mix for 1 minute.-- Fill each cupcake liner about two-thirds full.-- Bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.

So, men are scattered and smeared over the desert grass,

And the generals have accomplished nothing.

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

i guess i'm not the only one who thought "umm, so what if its vegan...so is arsenic."

of course, i worry about where the sugar comes from in oreos. but, i'm a jerk like that

JoJo Feb 15, 2009 1:24 PM vegan-network Re: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)

And why would one who is health-concious want to put all of that sugar and white flour into their bodies?! Not me!! Gross!--- On Sun, 2/15/09, swpgh01.t21 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com <swpgh01.t21 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com> wrote:

swpgh01.t21 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com <swpgh01.t21 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com>[100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)vegan-network Date: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 3:47 PM

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

Right, here goes again, second time lucky!

looks to me as though its just a bog standard choc cupcake with Oreo

crumble topping, try this:

Oreo Crumble Cupcakes

Grit Chocolate Cupcakes:

4 1/2 cups flour

3 cups sugar

1 cup cocoa

1/2 Tbsp. salt

1 Tbsp. baking soda

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

1/8 cup vanilla extract

3 cups strongly brewed coffee

1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. vinegar

•Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.

•Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda until well

combined.

•Add the vegetable oil and vanilla and mix until just combined.

Slowly add the coffee, mixing for a few minutes. Scrape the sides and

bottom of the bowl. Mix again until very smooth.

•Add the vinegar and mix for 1 minute.

•Fill each cupcake liner about two-thirds full.

•Bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool

completely before frosting.

Oreo Crumble Icing:

3 cups powdered sugar

1/2 cup vegan margarine

1 tsp. vanilla

1/3 cup soy milk

10-15 crumbled Oreos

18 Oreos for garnish

•Using a hand mixer, combine the sugar, margarine, and vanilla. Mix

in the soy milk.*

•Stir in the crumbled Oreos.

•Top each cooled cupcake with 1 tablespoon of icing and garnish with

half an Oreo.

*Note: You may need more or less than 1/3 cup.

Makes 36 servings

Nope. Nabisco dispensed with lard in the 1970s or so. I grew up Jewish, so eating anything with lard would have been a major no-no. For a long time my family bought Sunshine (?) cookies instead because of it. Hydrox was their version of Oreos. But I'm pretty sure Nabisco hasn't used lard for a long time.

Danielle

vegan-network From: EBbrewpunxDate: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:41:07 -0800RE: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)

i do like them newman o's on occasion

and, hey..they are organic

:)

Kris DuVall Feb 16, 2009 9:42 AM vegan-network RE: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)

I finally tried Newman O's, and they rock! I have been told that Oreos have lard in that cream... icky. KrisDon't forget to check out my blog at:www.roguedecadence.vox.com & my online store at:www.roguedecadence.etsy.com--- On Sun, 2/15/09, Danielle Kichler <veggietart (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Danielle Kichler <veggietart (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>RE: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)vegan-network Date: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 5:15 PM

Danielle

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

i think the last thing they got rid of was whey

Danielle Kichler Feb 16, 2009 12:07 PM vegan-network RE: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)

Nope. Nabisco dispensed with lard in the 1970s or so. I grew up Jewish, so eating anything with lard would have been a major no-no. For a long time my family bought Sunshine (?) cookies instead because of it. Hydrox was their version of Oreos. But I'm pretty sure Nabisco hasn't used lard for a long time.

Danielle

vegan-network From: EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) netDate: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:41:07 -0800RE: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)

i do like them newman o's on occasionand, hey..they are organic:)

Danielle

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

Raw Organic Vegan Frosting that is quick and easy, low glycemic, low sugar and is Eco Green Cuisine which is GOOD FOR YOU AND THE PLANET!From my best selling raw organic vegan recipe book RAW IN TEN MINUTES:

http://www.RawInTen.com all your favorite junk foods, comfort foods but is 100% raw organic vegan and MORE amazing looking and tasting than cooked vegan foods(not really healthy, acrylamide, cancer causing even though vegan cooked foods creates this and processed vegan foods too!).

1/2 Cup Raw Organic Carob Powder

4 to 5 tablespoons of Really RAW Agave

Blend in a bowl with fork and becomes instant "Chocolate Frosting" but is 100% Plant Based, Vegan and healthy for you!

There is a 5 minute Oraweo recipe in my book that is AMAZING! RAW Organic Fresh Vegan Version of oreo, it will lower your cholesterol and is super delicious! Photos, recipes, info is on my website!

Raw Organic Chef Bryan Au

http://www.RawInTen.com

vegan-network From: gnyparongDate: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:05:53 -0800Re: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)

can you guys share some yummy frosting for a vegan cupcake?

Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. See how it works.

Vegan Cupcakes take over the World is a pretty good resource

http://vegancupcakes.wordpress.com/http://books.google.com/books?id=o9EHPHOS4z4C & printsec=frontcover & dq=vegan+cupcakes#PPP1,M1

gny parong Feb 16, 2009 8:05 PM vegan-network Re: [100% veg*n ] VegCookingBlog: Oreo Crumble Cupcakes (Yes, Oreos Are Vegan)

can you guys share some yummy frosting for a vegan cupcake?

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)