IndiaDivine.org

RE: [100% veg*n ] Vegan Cats and Dogs?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I have to disagree with you, Don, and not just because you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". While my cat is overly curious about my food and has a tendency to steal crackers (and other vegan junk food), she still prefers the meat-based food I give her. She was 10 when I went veg, and a radical change in the diet of an older creature would, I feel, have been detrimental to her.

Danielle

EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOODJoin me

vegan-network From: swpgh01.t21Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:02:06 +0000[100% veg*n ] Vegan Cats and Dogs?

http://www.rantrave.com/Rant/Vegan-Cats-and-Dogs.aspxLet me get this straight. More and more vegan pet owners are working to convert their dogs and cats to their dietary lifestyle – this according to reports in the Huffington Post? (1) First of all, my beliefs on trapping and keeping animals in the home for one's own amusement is a little radical. I'm not in favor of it. Domesticated dogs and cats by now have little choice but to be in people's homes as pets, but honestly, this is something unnatural for the animals. But, all of that aside, converting your dog or cat to any form of vegetarianism when both are carnivorous animals because of your own beliefs is perturbing and nearly the equivalent of torture. It proves to me, once again, that people should not be allowed to possess animals. It's not a matter so much as to the health of the animals because surely a dog or cat can survive on soy protein as well as a person. But, the unnatural aspect of this and the forcing of a moral decision onto another creature is stunning in its arrogance. What is the difference between these people forcing their dog or cat to become a vegetarian than their children? Their children will grow up and make a choice for themselves, whereas the dogs and cats are at the mercy of their owners. It's unfathomable why people would think this is a fair and just decision to impose on them as if keeping them as house pets isn't sufficiently degrading to the free soul of an animal. Now if you want to put a bowl of carrot puree mixed with soy flower and one of tuna and let your cat decide, fine. But, don't force it to eat something so unnatural as to its normal parameters as to be bordering on torture. The most odd thing about it is that is contradicts the very nature of the lifestyle of a Vegan. Vegans are people who do not believe that anything should die so that they should eat. They have a pure love of living things. Why on earth would a person with such pure love for all living things force another creature to eat food so outside the realm of its own natural diet? It's just so very odd and contradictory. COMMENT :Your an idiot! If a vegan pet owner wishes to convert his or her pet to veganism, then so be it. Just like when humans make the decision to dis-include rotting animal parts in their diets, the pets will get healthier, live longer, and enjoy life more. Plus, this decision will reduce the need to kill other living species for food. Plus, this decision is better for the environment. As far as you put it, "forcing a moral decision onto another creature is stunning in its arrogance." Frankly, that statement is stunningly arrogant! Dogs and cats don't think in terms of right or wrong moral decisions. You speak of going vegan as if it, "borders on torture." Just like when humans go vegan, pets will be able to eat MORE, eat a great VARIETY of foods, ENJOY their foods, and again become HEALTHIER because of it. They won't be wondering around the house moaning for animal muscle and secretions, as if that is the only and best source of dietary happiness in animals. As a responsible and loving pet owner, the only and best decision to make would be to feed your pet vegan food. This doesn't amount to "torture," but does amount to a loving and caring relationship between a pet and his or her owner. Like humans, pets are happier when they are healthier. Not the other way around. Your analysis of this situation is blatantly wrong, misguided, and base on out dated stereo types! Posted 12 Hours Ago DonFW1Las Vegas,

Guest guest

It is my understanding that cats are 'true' carnivores, that there is a

particular amino acid that is only available in meat. Apparently there is a

supplement that you can give you cat to provide this. I would not put my cats

on a vegan diet, they are what they are. I try to give them food with as little

additives as possible.

Jenny

vegan-network , Danielle Kichler <veggietart wrote:

>

>

> I have to disagree with you, Don, and not just because you don't know the

difference between " your " and " you're " . While my cat is overly curious about my

food and has a tendency to steal crackers (and other vegan junk food), she still

prefers the meat-based food I give her. She was 10 when I went veg, and a

radical change in the diet of an older creature would, I feel, have been

detrimental to her.

>

>

> Danielle

>

EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD

> Join me

>

>

>

>

> vegan-network

> swpgh01.t21

> Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:02:06 +0000

> [100% veg*n ] Vegan Cats and Dogs?

>

>

>

>

>

> http://www.rantrave.com/Rant/Vegan-Cats-and-Dogs.aspx

> Let me get this straight. More and more vegan pet owners are working to

convert their dogs and cats to their dietary lifestyle – this according to

reports in the Huffington Post? (1) First of all, my beliefs on trapping and

keeping animals in the home for one's own amusement is a little radical. I'm not

in favor of it. Domesticated dogs and cats by now have little choice but to be

in people's homes as pets, but honestly, this is something unnatural for the

animals. But, all of that aside, converting your dog or cat to any form of

vegetarianism when both are carnivorous animals because of your own beliefs is

perturbing and nearly the equivalent of torture. It proves to me, once again,

that people should not be allowed to possess animals. It's not a matter so much

as to the health of the animals because surely a dog or cat can survive on soy

protein as well as a person. But, the unnatural aspect of this and the forcing

of a moral decision onto another creature is stunning in its arrogance. What is

the difference between these people forcing their dog or cat to become a

vegetarian than their children? Their children will grow up and make a choice

for themselves, whereas the dogs and cats are at the mercy of their owners. It's

unfathomable why people would think this is a fair and just decision to impose

on them as if keeping them as house pets isn't sufficiently degrading to the

free soul of an animal. Now if you want to put a bowl of carrot puree mixed with

soy flower and one of tuna and let your cat decide, fine. But, don't force it to

eat something so unnatural as to its normal parameters as to be bordering on

torture. The most odd thing about it is that is contradicts the very nature of

the lifestyle of a Vegan. Vegans are people who do not believe that anything

should die so that they should eat. They have a pure love of living things. Why

on earth would a person with such pure love for all living things force another

creature to eat food so outside the realm of its own natural diet? It's just so

very odd and contradictory.

> COMMENT :

> Your an idiot! If a vegan pet owner wishes to convert his or her pet to

veganism, then so be it. Just like when humans make the decision to dis-include

rotting animal parts in their diets, the pets will get healthier, live longer,

and enjoy life more. Plus, this decision will reduce the need to kill other

living species for food. Plus, this decision is better for the environment.

>

> As far as you put it, " forcing a moral decision onto another creature is

stunning in its arrogance. " Frankly, that statement is stunningly arrogant! Dogs

and cats don't think in terms of right or wrong moral decisions. You speak of

going vegan as if it, " borders on torture. " Just like when humans go vegan, pets

will be able to eat MORE, eat a great VARIETY of foods, ENJOY their foods, and

again become HEALTHIER because of it. They won't be wondering around the house

moaning for animal muscle and secretions, as if that is the only and best source

of dietary happiness in animals.

>

> As a responsible and loving pet owner, the only and best decision to make

would be to feed your pet vegan food. This doesn't amount to " torture, " but does

amount to a loving and caring relationship between a pet and his or her owner.

Like humans, pets are happier when they are healthier. Not the other way around.

Your analysis of this situation is blatantly wrong, misguided, and base on out

dated stereo types!

> Posted 12 Hours Ago

> DonFW1

> Las Vegas,

>

Guest guest

That's exactly what I do, Jenny. I look for the pet foods in "natural" stores.

Danielle

EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOODJoin me

vegan-network From: jgreeneDate: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:42:16 +0000Re: [100% veg*n ] Vegan Cats and Dogs?

It is my understanding that cats are 'true' carnivores, that there is a particular amino acid that is only available in meat. Apparently there is a supplement that you can give you cat to provide this. I would not put my cats on a vegan diet, they are what they are. I try to give them food with as little additives as possible. Jennyvegan-network , Danielle Kichler <veggietart wrote:>> > I have to disagree with you, Don, and not just because you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". While my cat is overly curious about my food and has a tendency to steal crackers (and other vegan junk food), she still prefers the meat-based food I give her. She was 10 when I went veg, and a radical change in the diet of an older creature would, I feel, have been detrimental to her.> > > Danielle > > > > > > > > EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD> Join me> > > > > vegan-network > swpgh01.t21 Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:02:06 +0000> [100% veg*n ] Vegan Cats and Dogs?> > > > > > http://www.rantrave.com/Rant/Vegan-Cats-and-Dogs.aspx> Let me get this straight. More and more vegan pet owners are working to convert their dogs and cats to their dietary lifestyle – this according to reports in the Huffington Post? (1) First of all, my beliefs on trapping and keeping animals in the home for one's own amusement is a little radical. I'm not in favor of it. Domesticated dogs and cats by now have little choice but to be in people's homes as pets, but honestly, this is something unnatural for the animals. But, all of that aside, converting your dog or cat to any form of vegetarianism when both are carnivorous animals because of your own beliefs is perturbing and nearly the equivalent of torture. It proves to me, once again, that people should not be allowed to possess animals. It's not a matter so much as to the health of the animals because surely a dog or cat can survive on soy protein as well as a person. But, the unnatural aspect of this and the forcing of a moral decision onto another creature is stunning in its arrogance. What is the difference between these people forcing their dog or cat to become a vegetarian than their children? Their children will grow up and make a choice for themselves, whereas the dogs and cats are at the mercy of their owners. It's unfathomable why people would think this is a fair and just decision to impose on them as if keeping them as house pets isn't sufficiently degrading to the free soul of an animal. Now if you want to put a bowl of carrot puree mixed with soy flower and one of tuna and let your cat decide, fine. But, don't force it to eat something so unnatural as to its normal parameters as to be bordering on torture. The most odd thing about it is that is contradicts the very nature of the lifestyle of a Vegan. Vegans are people who do not believe that anything should die so that they should eat. They have a pure love of living things. Why on earth would a person with such pure love for all living things force another creature to eat food so outside the realm of its own natural diet? It's just so very odd and contradictory. > COMMENT :> Your an idiot! If a vegan pet owner wishes to convert his or her pet to veganism, then so be it. Just like when humans make the decision to dis-include rotting animal parts in their diets, the pets will get healthier, live longer, and enjoy life more. Plus, this decision will reduce the need to kill other living species for food. Plus, this decision is better for the environment. > > As far as you put it, "forcing a moral decision onto another creature is stunning in its arrogance." Frankly, that statement is stunningly arrogant! Dogs and cats don't think in terms of right or wrong moral decisions. You speak of going vegan as if it, "borders on torture." Just like when humans go vegan, pets will be able to eat MORE, eat a great VARIETY of foods, ENJOY their foods, and again become HEALTHIER because of it. They won't be wondering around the house moaning for animal muscle and secretions, as if that is the only and best source of dietary happiness in animals. > > As a responsible and loving pet owner, the only and best decision to make would be to feed your pet vegan food. This doesn't amount to "torture," but does amount to a loving and caring relationship between a pet and his or her owner. Like humans, pets are happier when they are healthier. Not the other way around. Your analysis of this situation is blatantly wrong, misguided, and base on out dated stereo types! > Posted 12 Hours Ago > DonFW1> Las Vegas,>

Guest guest

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:42 AM, scogingj <jgreene wrote:

> It is my understanding that cats are 'true' carnivores, that there is a

> particular amino acid that is only available in meat.

That's taurine. What most people do not know is that commercial

meat-based cat foods already contain synthetic taurine, because the

natural taurine that was in the meat gets destroyed during the

rendering process.

> Apparently there is a

> supplement that you can give you cat to provide this.

Synthetic taurine has been available for many decades.

Vegecat (www.vegepet.com) is a supplement that contains not only

taurine, but also a balanced formula of other vitamins, minerals, and

amino acids for cats. You can use this supplement powder in recipes (a

recipe sheet comes with the supplement or can be viewed online), to

make your own cat food at home.

Evolution (www.petfoodshop.com) makes prepared vegan cat food, both

canned and dry, that you can feed right out of the can or the bag.

However, it is extremely expensive, and my cats vomit if they eat too

much of the kibble.

What I do for my cats is, I make one of the Vegecat recipes (the one

with chickpeas and soy), and I add a small amount of canned Evolution

for extra flavor. That's their main food: a homemade moist Vegecat

recipe flavored with a bit of canned Evolution. I then sprinkle a

pinch of Evolution kibble over it, so they can exercise their teeth on

something crunchy.

I have seven very healthy, contented, bright-eyed, shiny-furred, purry

vegan cats, who now range in age from about four to nine years. Five

of the seven (including the four oldest ones, now seven to nine years

old) have been with me, and totally vegan, since they were kittens.

You can see pictures of them at http://j8scats.shutterfly.com (note

that the cats in the " available for adoption " album have since been

adopted, except for one who's about to be adopted next week).

For dogs it's a lot easier: Natural Balance Vegetarian Formula kibble

is vegan, and it's an extremely reputable high-quality brand. I've had

vets who were initially skeptical about my dogs' vegan diet, whose

attitude changed visibly the moment I mentioned Natural Balance as the

brand I feed.

Jim Sinclair jisincla

www.jimsinclair.org

http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com

Guest guest

Ditto. I won't take any risks on harming my cats.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Danielle Kichler <veggietart wrote:

That's exactly what I do, Jenny.  I look for the pet foods in " natural " stores.

Danielle

EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD

Join me 

vegan-network From: jgreeneDate: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:42:16 +0000

Re: [100% veg*n ] Vegan Cats and Dogs?

It is my understanding that cats are 'true' carnivores, that there is a particular amino acid that is only available in meat. Apparently there is a supplement that you can give you cat to provide this. I would not put my cats on a vegan diet, they are what they are. I try to give them food with as little additives as possible.

Jennyvegan-network , Danielle Kichler <veggietart wrote:>> > I have to disagree with you, Don, and not just because you don't know the difference between " your " and " you're " . While my cat is overly curious about my food and has a tendency to steal crackers (and other vegan junk food), she still prefers the meat-based food I give her. She was 10 when I went veg, and a radical change in the diet of an older creature would, I feel, have been detrimental to her.

> > > Danielle > > > > > > > > EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD> Join me> > > > > vegan-network

> swpgh01.t21 Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:02:06 +0000> [100% veg*n ] Vegan Cats and Dogs?> > > > > > http://www.rantrave.com/Rant/Vegan-Cats-and-Dogs.aspx

> Let me get this straight. More and more vegan pet owners are working to convert their dogs and cats to their dietary lifestyle – this according to reports in the Huffington Post? (1) First of all, my beliefs on trapping and keeping animals in the home for one's own amusement is a little radical. I'm not in favor of it. Domesticated dogs and cats by now have little choice but to be in people's homes as pets, but honestly, this is something unnatural for the animals. But, all of that aside, converting your dog or cat to any form of vegetarianism when both are carnivorous animals because of your own beliefs is perturbing and nearly the equivalent of torture. It proves to me, once again, that people should not be allowed to possess animals. It's not a matter so much as to the health of the animals because surely a dog or cat can survive on soy protein as well as a person. But, the unnatural aspect of this and the forcing of a moral decision onto another creature is stunning in its arrogance. What is the difference between these people forcing their dog or cat to become a vegetarian than their children? Their children will grow up and make a choice for themselves, whereas the dogs and cats are at the mercy of their owners. It's unfathomable why people would think this is a fair and just decision to impose on them as if keeping them as house pets isn't sufficiently degrading to the free soul of an animal. Now if you want to put a bowl of carrot puree mixed with soy flower and one of tuna and let your cat decide, fine. But, don't force it to eat something so unnatural as to its normal parameters as to be bordering on torture. The most odd thing about it is that is contradicts the very nature of the lifestyle of a Vegan. Vegans are people who do not believe that anything should die so that they should eat. They have a pure love of living things. Why on earth would a person with such pure love for all living things force another creature to eat food so outside the realm of its own natural diet? It's just so very odd and contradictory.

> COMMENT :> Your an idiot! If a vegan pet owner wishes to convert his or her pet to veganism, then so be it. Just like when humans make the decision to dis-include rotting animal parts in their diets, the pets will get healthier, live longer, and enjoy life more. Plus, this decision will reduce the need to kill other living species for food. Plus, this decision is better for the environment.

> > As far as you put it, " forcing a moral decision onto another creature is stunning in its arrogance. " Frankly, that statement is stunningly arrogant! Dogs and cats don't think in terms of right or wrong moral decisions. You speak of going vegan as if it, " borders on torture. " Just like when humans go vegan, pets will be able to eat MORE, eat a great VARIETY of foods, ENJOY their foods, and again become HEALTHIER because of it. They won't be wondering around the house moaning for animal muscle and secretions, as if that is the only and best source of dietary happiness in animals.

> > As a responsible and loving pet owner, the only and best decision to make would be to feed your pet vegan food. This doesn't amount to " torture, " but does amount to a loving and caring relationship between a pet and his or her owner. Like humans, pets are happier when they are healthier. Not the other way around. Your analysis of this situation is blatantly wrong, misguided, and base on out dated stereo types!

> Posted 12 Hours Ago > DonFW1> Las Vegas,>

-- AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com~Boston_Gothic

Boston_MysticBoston-Pagans

Guest guest

Taurine.

vegan brand cat foods (at least the ones i know of) synthesize it

scogingj Mar 30, 2009 7:42 AM vegan-network Re: [100% veg*n ] Vegan Cats and Dogs?

It is my understanding that cats are 'true' carnivores, that there is a particular amino acid that is only available in meat. Apparently there is a supplement that you can give you cat to provide this. I would not put my cats on a vegan diet, they are what they are. I try to give them food with as little additives as possible. Jennyvegan-network , Danielle Kichler <veggietart wrote:>> > I have to disagree with you, Don, and not just because you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". While my cat is overly curious about my food and has a tendency to steal crackers (and other vegan junk food), she still prefers the meat-based food I give her. She was 10 when I went veg, and a radical change in the diet of an older creature would, I feel, have been detrimental to her.> > > Danielle > > > > > > > > EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD> Join me> > > > > vegan-network > swpgh01.t21 Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:02:06 +0000> [100% veg*n ] Vegan Cats and Dogs?> > > > > > http://www.rantrave.com/Rant/Vegan-Cats-and-Dogs.aspx> Let me get this straight. More and more vegan pet owners are working to convert their dogs and cats to their dietary lifestyle – this according to reports in the Huffington Post? (1) First of all, my beliefs on trapping and keeping animals in the home for one's own amusement is a little radical. I'm not in favor of it. Domesticated dogs and cats by now have little choice but to be in people's homes as pets, but honestly, this is something unnatural for the animals. But, all of that aside, converting your dog or cat to any form of vegetarianism when both are carnivorous animals because of your own beliefs is perturbing and nearly the equivalent of torture. It proves to me, once again, that people should not be allowed to possess animals. It's not a matter so much as to the health of the animals because surely a dog or cat can survive on soy protein as well as a person. But, the unnatural aspect of this and the forcing of a moral decision onto another creature is stunning in its arrogance. What is the difference between these people forcing their dog or cat to become a vegetarian than their children? Their children will grow up and make a choice for themselves, whereas the dogs and cats are at the mercy of their owners. It's unfathomable why people would think this is a fair and just decision to impose on them as if keeping them as house pets isn't sufficiently degrading to the free soul of an animal. Now if you want to put a bowl of carrot puree mixed with soy flower and one of tuna and let your cat decide, fine. But, don't force it to eat something so unnatural as to its normal parameters as to be bordering on torture. The most odd thing about it is that is contradicts the very nature of the lifestyle of a Vegan. Vegans are people who do not believe that anything should die so that they should eat. They have a pure love of living things. Why on earth would a person with such pure love for all living things force another creature to eat food so outside the realm of its own natural diet? It's just so very odd and contradictory. > COMMENT :> Your an idiot! If a vegan pet owner wishes to convert his or her pet to veganism, then so be it. Just like when humans make the decision to dis-include rotting animal parts in their diets, the pets will get healthier, live longer, and enjoy life more. Plus, this decision will reduce the need to kill other living species for food. Plus, this decision is better for the environment. > > As far as you put it, "forcing a moral decision onto another creature is stunning in its arrogance." Frankly, that statement is stunningly arrogant! Dogs and cats don't think in terms of right or wrong moral decisions. You speak of going vegan as if it, "borders on torture." Just like when humans go vegan, pets will be able to eat MORE, eat a great VARIETY of foods, ENJOY their foods, and again become HEALTHIER because of it. They won't be wondering around the house moaning for animal muscle and secretions, as if that is the only and best source of dietary happiness in animals. > > As a responsible and loving pet owner, the only and best decision to make would be to feed your pet vegan food. This doesn't amount to "torture," but does amount to a loving and caring relationship between a pet and his or her owner. Like humans, pets are happier when they are healthier. Not the other way around. Your analysis of this situation is blatantly wrong, misguided, and base on out dated stereo types! > Posted 12 Hours Ago > DonFW1> Las Vegas,>

So, men are scattered and smeared over the desert grass,

And the generals have accomplished nothing.

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

Guest guest

our dogs are vegan. have been healthy and vegan for many a year. (their entire lil doggy lives actually. and shiva is now ten...)

our cats alas, no such luck. started them on vegan cat fud, and while they ate it like gangbusters, they had horrible runs and left lil leaky "presents" all over the haus.

was this because of the vegan cat food? unknown. but at the time we didn't want to endanger their health, so they got and get the expensive natural organic dead critter alternative

Jim Sinclair Mar 30, 2009 8:44 AM vegan-network Re: [100% veg*n ] Vegan Cats and Dogs?

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:42 AM, scogingj <jgreene (AT) tbaytel (DOT) net> wrote:> It is my understanding that cats are 'true' carnivores, that there is a> particular amino acid that is only available in meat.That's taurine. What most people do not know is that commercialmeat-based cat foods already contain synthetic taurine, because thenatural taurine that was in the meat gets destroyed during therendering process.> Apparently there is a> supplement that you can give you cat to provide this.Synthetic taurine has been available for many decades.Vegecat (www.vegepet.com) is a supplement that contains not onlytaurine, but also a balanced formula of other vitamins, minerals, andamino acids for cats. You can use this supplement powder in recipes (arecipe sheet comes with the supplement or can be viewed online), tomake your own cat food at home.Evolution (www.petfoodshop.com) makes prepared vegan cat food, bothcanned and dry, that you can feed right out of the can or the bag.However, it is extremely expensive, and my cats vomit if they eat toomuch of the kibble.What I do for my cats is, I make one of the Vegecat recipes (the onewith chickpeas and soy), and I add a small amount of canned Evolutionfor extra flavor. That's their main food: a homemade moist Vegecatrecipe flavored with a bit of canned Evolution. I then sprinkle apinch of Evolution kibble over it, so they can exercise their teeth onsomething crunchy.I have seven very healthy, contented, bright-eyed, shiny-furred, purryvegan cats, who now range in age from about four to nine years. Fiveof the seven (including the four oldest ones, now seven to nine yearsold) have been with me, and totally vegan, since they were kittens.You can see pictures of them at http://j8scats.shutterfly.com (notethat the cats in the "available for adoption" album have since beenadopted, except for one who's about to be adopted next week).For dogs it's a lot easier: Natural Balance Vegetarian Formula kibbleis vegan, and it's an extremely reputable high-quality brand. I've hadvets who were initially skeptical about my dogs' vegan diet, whoseattitude changed visibly the moment I mentioned Natural Balance as thebrand I feed.Jim Sinclair jisincla (AT) syr (DOT) eduwww.jimsinclair.orghttp://moosepuppy.petfinder.com

So, men are scattered and smeared over the desert grass,

And the generals have accomplished nothing.

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

Guest guest

Beautiful cats!

vegan-network , Jim Sinclair <jisincla wrote:

>

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:42 AM, scogingj <jgreene wrote:

> > It is my understanding that cats are 'true' carnivores, that there is a

> > particular amino acid that is only available in meat.

>

> That's taurine. What most people do not know is that commercial

> meat-based cat foods already contain synthetic taurine, because the

> natural taurine that was in the meat gets destroyed during the

> rendering process.

>

> > Apparently there is a

> > supplement that you can give you cat to provide this.

>

> Synthetic taurine has been available for many decades.

>

> Vegecat (www.vegepet.com) is a supplement that contains not only

> taurine, but also a balanced formula of other vitamins, minerals, and

> amino acids for cats. You can use this supplement powder in recipes (a

> recipe sheet comes with the supplement or can be viewed online), to

> make your own cat food at home.

>

> Evolution (www.petfoodshop.com) makes prepared vegan cat food, both

> canned and dry, that you can feed right out of the can or the bag.

> However, it is extremely expensive, and my cats vomit if they eat too

> much of the kibble.

>

> What I do for my cats is, I make one of the Vegecat recipes (the one

> with chickpeas and soy), and I add a small amount of canned Evolution

> for extra flavor. That's their main food: a homemade moist Vegecat

> recipe flavored with a bit of canned Evolution. I then sprinkle a

> pinch of Evolution kibble over it, so they can exercise their teeth on

> something crunchy.

>

> I have seven very healthy, contented, bright-eyed, shiny-furred, purry

> vegan cats, who now range in age from about four to nine years. Five

> of the seven (including the four oldest ones, now seven to nine years

> old) have been with me, and totally vegan, since they were kittens.

> You can see pictures of them at http://j8scats.shutterfly.com (note

> that the cats in the " available for adoption " album have since been

> adopted, except for one who's about to be adopted next week).

>

> For dogs it's a lot easier: Natural Balance Vegetarian Formula kibble

> is vegan, and it's an extremely reputable high-quality brand. I've had

> vets who were initially skeptical about my dogs' vegan diet, whose

> attitude changed visibly the moment I mentioned Natural Balance as the

> brand I feed.

>

> Jim Sinclair jisincla

> www.jimsinclair.org

> http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com

>