IndiaDivine.org

[100% veg*n ] Flying vegan, how to survive the ride

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

on our last trip to Europe...

United booked us a "vegan" meal. when we boarded the plane and started serving, they tried to give us chicken. after explaining that we had a special meal, the head steward came over and said "united doesn't do vegan meals anymore" even tho i had confirmed it the day before. nice

eventually they brought as a "vegetarian" meal from first class. i think we were able t oeat the iceburg lettuce and the slice of orange.

on the return flight, we played it safe and brought a bunch of vegan snack bars and a big bag of trail mix. and wouldn't you know it, lufthansa came thru, and got us a big vegan meal. some sort of mushroom pilaf. which was actually pretty tasty. and the next two snack meals were vegan as well.

hurrah for lufthansa!

boo for united.

"swpgh01.t21" Jul 6, 2009 2:37 PM vegan-network [100% veg*n ] Flying vegan, how to survive the ride

Airline food on domestic flights is a downright joke these days, $3 can of disgusting potato chips, high fructose corn syrup filled 'snack box' $7, the list goes on. Needless to say, you have to be prepared for anything and everything when you are traveling by plane.An hour layover can easily turn into a 4 hour one due to maintenance, so even the shortest flights can span 2 meals. Airport food is hit or miss on finding the vegan goods, and then still do you really want to spend $12 on a hummus sandwich on a dry roll?My kids each carry a backpack as their personal item, in their packs have a book or two, sketch books and twist-able colored pencils (a must!), small toys, and an insulated lunch bag with their own snacks.What to pack so you can actually kick back and not hunt around for food at the airport:1. Empty stainless steel water bottles: My family and I carry our empty Sigg bottles through security and fill them up at the nearest water fountain once we are done with the security check. Carrying your own bottle with you will save you money since you will not have to buy water bottles while waiting on your plane.2. Lara Bars: Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, Cashew Cookie, flavors galore. These raw bars contain simple ingredients and are very satisfying. You can find them all over the place locally. We pack 2 per person just because again, you never know how long that short plane ride might be.3. Fruits and Veggies: Carrot sticks, jimica, cut apples, bananas, clemintines, cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, edamame, these all travel well for a day trip. Pack a lot of cut snacks, it is amazing how fast you can plow through these when you are wishing your feet were on the ground.4. Oatmeal/Instant hot cereal: Sounds weird, right? Well individual oatmeal packs have come to my rescue more times that I can count. While you probably will not be able to prepare them at the airport you can ask for hot water on the plane. Cup of hot water and a packet of oatmeal, instant meal and happy kids. Just don't forget to pack a spoon from home.5. Dried Fruit/Raw Nuts: A true vegan staple, takes up little space and it is full of the good calories. While at home these are not usually the things I first reach for first, but for a plane ride this snack is perfect.6. Muffins: Who doesn't love a muffin? Muffins are the cupcakes of breakfast and the cookies of lunch. Muffins make my kids feel special and when they have a muffin in their backpack they are less likely to ask for junk while walking through the airport. Susan at Fat Free Vegan has a great selection of recipes for muffins.7. Sandwiches/Wrap: You might be flying out at 6AM with an arrival time of 10AM, but don't think you are above packing a sandwich or wrap. A sandwich at the airport will set you back at least $8 per person. Better to be too prepared when it comes to air travel. Chickpea TuNO Salad, Hummus and veggies, PB & J, whatever your favorite is - pack it, you will not be sorry.8. Special Snacks/Goodies: Why not make the trip a little more special with an extra special treat? If you are looking for a treat check out Navan Foods or the Organic Food Depot. You are sure to find a little something to stash away to present at that midnight travel hour. Tings, vegan jerky, vegan gummy bears, Green and Black's Dark chocolate, pick up something out of the ordinary.Do you have some excellent vegan travel tips? Please add to the list in the comments. I would love to hear any and all tips you have.Author: Deva Brockett

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

Guest guest

I don't remember the last time I got anything that can be considered food on a flight. But then I usually fly domestic. I always bring some kind of food with me. You never know.

Danielle

EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOODJoin me

vegan-network From: EBbrewpunxDate: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:21:15 -0400Re: [100% veg*n ] Flying vegan, how to survive the ride

on our last trip to Europe...

United booked us a "vegan" meal. when we boarded the plane and started serving, they tried to give us chicken. after explaining that we had a special meal, the head steward came over and said "united doesn't do vegan meals anymore" even tho i had confirmed it the day before. nice

eventually they brought as a "vegetarian" meal from first class. i think we were able t oeat the iceburg lettuce and the slice of orange.

on the return flight, we played it safe and brought a bunch of vegan snack bars and a big bag of trail mix. and wouldn't you know it, lufthansa came thru, and got us a big vegan meal. some sort of mushroom pilaf. which was actually pretty tasty. and the next two snack meals were vegan as well.

hurrah for lufthansa!

boo for united.

"swpgh01.t21 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com" Jul 6, 2009 2:37 PM vegan-network [100% veg*n ] Flying vegan, how to survive the ride

Airline food on domestic flights is a downright joke these days, $3 can of disgusting potato chips, high fructose corn syrup filled 'snack box' $7, the list goes on. Needless to say, you have to be prepared for anything and everything when you are traveling by plane.An hour layover can easily turn into a 4 hour one due to maintenance, so even the shortest flights can span 2 meals. Airport food is hit or miss on finding the vegan goods, and then still do you really want to spend $12 on a hummus sandwich on a dry roll?My kids each carry a backpack as their personal item, in their packs have a book or two, sketch books and twist-able colored pencils (a must!), small toys, and an insulated lunch bag with their own snacks.What to pack so you can actually kick back and not hunt around for food at the airport:1. Empty stainless steel water bottles: My family and I carry our empty Sigg bottles through security and fill them up at the nearest water fountain once we are done with the security check. Carrying your own bottle with you will save you money since you will not have to buy water bottles while waiting on your plane.2. Lara Bars: Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, Cashew Cookie, flavors galore. These raw bars contain simple ingredients and are very satisfying. You can find them all over the place locally. We pack 2 per person just because again, you never know how long that short plane ride might be.3. Fruits and Veggies: Carrot sticks, jimica, cut apples, bananas, clemintines, cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, edamame, these all travel well for a day trip. Pack a lot of cut snacks, it is amazing how fast you can plow through these when you are wishing your feet were on the ground.4. Oatmeal/Instant hot cereal: Sounds weird, right? Well individual oatmeal packs have come to my rescue more times that I can count. While you probably will not be able to prepare them at the airport you can ask for hot water on the plane. Cup of hot water and a packet of oatmeal, instant meal and happy kids. Just don't forget to pack a spoon from home.5. Dried Fruit/Raw Nuts: A true vegan staple, takes up little space and it is full of the good calories. While at home these are not usually the things I first reach for first, but for a plane ride this snack is perfect.6. Muffins: Who doesn't love a muffin? Muffins are the cupcakes of breakfast and the cookies of lunch. Muffins make my kids feel special and when they have a muffin in their backpack they are less likely to ask for junk while walking through the airport. Susan at Fat Free Vegan has a great selection of recipes for muffins.7. Sandwiches/Wrap: You might be flying out at 6AM with an arrival time of 10AM, but don't think you are above packing a sandwich or wrap. A sandwich at the airport will set you back at least $8 per person. Better to be too prepared when it comes to air travel. Chickpea TuNO Salad, Hummus and veggies, PB & J, whatever your favorite is - pack it, you will not be sorry.8. Special Snacks/Goodies: Why not make the trip a little more special with an extra special treat? If you are looking for a treat check out Navan Foods or the Organic Food Depot. You are sure to find a little something to stash away to present at that midnight travel hour. Tings, vegan jerky, vegan gummy bears, Green and Black's Dark chocolate, pick up something out of the ordinary.Do you have some excellent vegan travel tips? Please add to the list in the comments. I would love to hear any and all tips you have.Author: Deva Brockett

Guest guest

On Jetblue in the Logan Airport (Boston), they have a million vegan options on the a la carte: vegan chic salad, grilled tofu sandwiches, falafel--utterly delicious, all labeled vegan.:)

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM, swpgh01.t21 <swpgh01.t21 wrote:

Airline food on domestic flights is a downright joke these days, $3 can of disgusting potato chips, high fructose corn syrup filled 'snack box' $7, the list goes on. Needless to say, you have to be prepared for anything and everything when you are traveling by plane.

An hour layover can easily turn into a 4 hour one due to maintenance, so even the shortest flights can span 2 meals. Airport food is hit or miss on finding the vegan goods, and then still do you really want to spend $12 on a hummus sandwich on a dry roll?

My kids each carry a backpack as their personal item, in their packs have a book or two, sketch books and twist-able colored pencils (a must!), small toys,  and an insulated lunch bag with their own snacks.

What to pack so you can actually kick back and not hunt around for food at the airport:

1. Empty stainless steel water bottles: My family and I carry our empty Sigg bottles through security and fill them up at the nearest water fountain once we are done with the security check. Carrying your own bottle with you will save you money since you will not have to buy water bottles while waiting on your plane.

2. Lara Bars: Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, Cashew Cookie, flavors galore. These raw bars contain simple ingredients and are very satisfying. You can find them all over the place locally. We pack 2 per person just because again, you never know how long that short plane ride might be.

3. Fruits and Veggies: Carrot sticks, jimica, cut apples, bananas, clemintines, cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, edamame, these all travel well for a day trip. Pack a lot of cut snacks, it is amazing how fast you can plow through these when you are wishing your feet were on the ground.

4. Oatmeal/Instant hot cereal: Sounds weird, right? Well individual oatmeal packs have come to my rescue more times that I can count. While you probably will not be able to prepare them at the airport you can ask for hot water on the plane. Cup of hot water and a packet of oatmeal, instant meal and happy kids. Just don't forget to pack a spoon from home.

5. Dried Fruit/Raw Nuts: A true vegan staple, takes up little space and it is full of the good calories. While at home these are not usually the things I first reach for first, but for a plane ride this snack is perfect.

6. Muffins: Who doesn't love a muffin? Muffins are the cupcakes of breakfast and the cookies of lunch. Muffins make my kids feel special and when they have a muffin in their backpack they are less likely to ask for junk while walking through the airport. Susan at Fat Free Vegan has a great selection of recipes for muffins.

7.  Sandwiches/Wrap: You might be flying out at 6AM with an arrival time of 10AM, but don't think you are above packing a sandwich or wrap. A sandwich at the airport will set you back at least $8 per person. Better to be too prepared when it comes to air travel. Chickpea TuNO Salad, Hummus and veggies, PB & J, whatever your favorite is - pack it, you will not be sorry.

8. Special Snacks/Goodies: Why not make the trip a little more special with an extra special treat? If you are looking for a treat check out Navan Foods or the Organic Food Depot. You are sure to find a little something to stash away to present at that midnight travel hour. Tings, vegan jerky, vegan gummy bears, Green and Black's Dark chocolate, pick up something out of the ordinary.

Do you have some excellent vegan travel tips? Please add to the list in the comments. I would love to hear any and all tips you have.

-- AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.comhttp://timeladydesigns.etsy.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans

Guest guest

maybe if we ever fly back east we'll have to use jetblue

heh

Blue Rose Jul 11, 2009 1:00 AM vegan-network Re: [100% veg*n ] Flying vegan, how to survive the ride

On Jetblue in the Logan Airport (Boston), they have a million vegan options on the a la carte: vegan chic salad, grilled tofu sandwiches, falafel--utterly delicious, all labeled vegan.:)

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM, swpgh01.t21 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com <swpgh01.t21 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com> wrote:

Airline food on domestic flights is a downright joke these days, $3 can of disgusting potato chips, high fructose corn syrup filled 'snack box' $7, the list goes on. Needless to say, you have to be prepared for anything and everything when you are traveling by plane.An hour layover can easily turn into a 4 hour one due to maintenance, so even the shortest flights can span 2 meals. Airport food is hit or miss on finding the vegan goods, and then still do you really want to spend $12 on a hummus sandwich on a dry roll?My kids each carry a backpack as their personal item, in their packs have a book or two, sketch books and twist-able colored pencils (a must!), small toys, and an insulated lunch bag with their own snacks. What to pack so you can actually kick back and not hunt around for food at the airport:1. Empty stainless steel water bottles: My family and I carry our empty Sigg bottles through security and fill them up at the nearest water fountain once we are done with the security check. Carrying your own bottle with you will save you money since you will not have to buy water bottles while waiting on your plane.2. Lara Bars: Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, Cashew Cookie, flavors galore. These raw bars contain simple ingredients and are very satisfying. You can find them all over the place locally. We pack 2 per person just because again, you never know how long that short plane ride might be.3. Fruits and Veggies: Carrot sticks, jimica, cut apples, bananas, clemintines, cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, edamame, these all travel well for a day trip. Pack a lot of cut snacks, it is amazing how fast you can plow through these when you are wishing your feet were on the ground.4. Oatmeal/Instant hot cereal: Sounds weird, right? Well individual oatmeal packs have come to my rescue more times that I can count. While you probably will not be able to prepare them at the airport you can ask for hot water on the plane. Cup of hot water and a packet of oatmeal, instant meal and happy kids. Just don't forget to pack a spoon from home.5. Dried Fruit/Raw Nuts: A true vegan staple, takes up little space and it is full of the good calories. While at home these are not usually the things I first reach for first, but for a plane ride this snack is perfect.6. Muffins: Who doesn't love a muffin? Muffins are the cupcakes of breakfast and the cookies of lunch. Muffins make my kids feel special and when they have a muffin in their backpack they are less likely to ask for junk while walking through the airport. Susan at Fat Free Vegan has a great selection of recipes for muffins.7. Sandwiches/Wrap: You might be flying out at 6AM with an arrival time of 10AM, but don't think you are above packing a sandwich or wrap. A sandwich at the airport will set you back at least $8 per person. Better to be too prepared when it comes to air travel. Chickpea TuNO Salad, Hummus and veggies, PB & J, whatever your favorite is - pack it, you will not be sorry.8. Special Snacks/Goodies: Why not make the trip a little more special with an extra special treat? If you are looking for a treat check out Navan Foods or the Organic Food Depot. You are sure to find a little something to stash away to present at that midnight travel hour. Tings, vegan jerky, vegan gummy bears, Green and Black's Dark chocolate, pick up something out of the ordinary. Do you have some excellent vegan travel tips? Please add to the list in the comments. I would love to hear any and all tips you have.-- AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.comhttp://timeladydesigns.etsy.com~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans