IndiaDivine.org

[100% veg*n ] If you were a vegan farmer

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM,

swpgh01.t21<swpgh01.t21 wrote:

> Would you use horses as beasts of burden?

I'm not sure how feasible it would be for me to be a farmer at a scale

where I would need to choose between using " beasts of burden " vs.

using fossil-fuel-burning mechanical equipment.

As a general principle, I think it makes sense that if I'm providing

for an animal's food, shelter, veterinary care,

physical and emotional comfort, companionship, and whatever else the

animal needs to have a good quality of life, and *if* there's

something the animal can do in turn to make a contribution to the

household it's benefiting from being a part of, and *if* making that

contribution would not impose harm or suffering on the animal, then

it's reasonable to expect the animal to make such a contribution.

Suppose I had the land and the money to be able to take in a rescued

horse. Suppose I also had enough land to grow crops, which I would use

either directly as feed and bedding for the horse, or indirectly to

sell to paying customers so I could buy things to provide for the

horse.

Suppose, after being treated for any effects of previous maltreatment,

the horse is in a condition to be able to pull a piece of farm

equipment without suffering harm or distress. Suppose I am able to

find or make or custom-order any necessary tack that isn't made of

leather. If I can humanely train the horse to help in the growing and

harvesting of crops, then I wouldn't need to depend on environmentally

destructive machinery, and I wouldn't need to pay for fossil fuels to

burn in environmentally destructive machinery.

If any able-bodied rescue horses were working either to earn

additional income for me, or to reduce my expenditures (e.g., for

fossil fuels), that just might make it possible for me to afford to

take in more rescue animals. I think that would be a good thing for

the animals in my care.

It seems to me to be plausible that, at least on the small scale of an

individual homestead, it is reasonable to expect animals to make

contributions which are not harmful to the animals' well-being, and

which the animals themselves benefit from (either directly in terms of

helping to produce their own food, or indirectly in terms of helping

to earn money which is used to provide for the animals' needs). This

is part of cooperative co-existence between humans and domesticated

animals.

Of course this is a very different matter from commercial breeding of

animals to be bought and sold as commodities, used to make maximum

profit for their owners and without regard for the animals' own

well-being, then abandoned or killed when they cease to be " useful. "

Jim Sinclair jisincla

www.jimsinclair.org

http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com

Guest guest

I suppose that as a vegan I am against man using animals or exploiting animals. Does making them work , whether it be as a guide dog , or pulling a plough count?

Peter vv

Jim Sinclair <jisinclavegan-network Sent: Monday, 20 July, 2009 8:23:52 PMRe: [100% veg*n ] If you were a vegan farmer

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM,swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com<swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com> wrote:> Would you use horses as beasts of burden?I'm not sure how feasible it would be for me to be a farmer at a scalewhere I would need to choose between using "beasts of burden" vs.using fossil-fuel- burning mechanical equipment.As a general principle, I think it makes sense that if I'm providingfor an animal's food, shelter, veterinary care,physical and emotional comfort, companionship, and whatever else theanimal needs to have a good quality of life, and *if* there'ssomething the animal can do in turn to make a contribution to thehousehold it's

benefiting from being a part of, and *if* making thatcontribution would not impose harm or suffering on the animal, thenit's reasonable to expect the animal to make such a contribution.Suppose I had the land and the money to be able to take in a rescuedhorse. Suppose I also had enough land to grow crops, which I would useeither directly as feed and bedding for the horse, or indirectly tosell to paying customers so I could buy things to provide for thehorse.Suppose, after being treated for any effects of previous maltreatment,the horse is in a condition to be able to pull a piece of farmequipment without suffering harm or distress. Suppose I am able tofind or make or custom-order any necessary tack that isn't made ofleather. If I can humanely train the horse to help in the growing andharvesting of crops, then I wouldn't need to depend on environmentallydestructive machinery, and I wouldn't

need to pay for fossil fuels toburn in environmentally destructive machinery.If any able-bodied rescue horses were working either to earnadditional income for me, or to reduce my expenditures (e.g., forfossil fuels), that just might make it possible for me to afford totake in more rescue animals. I think that would be a good thing forthe animals in my care.It seems to me to be plausible that, at least on the small scale of anindividual homestead, it is reasonable to expect animals to makecontributions which are not harmful to the animals' well-being, andwhich the animals themselves benefit from (either directly in terms ofhelping to produce their own food, or indirectly in terms of helpingto earn money which is used to provide for the animals' needs). Thisis part of cooperative co-existence between humans and domesticatedanimals.Of course this is a very different matter from

commercial breeding ofanimals to be bought and sold as commodities, used to make maximumprofit for their owners and without regard for the animals' ownwell-being, then abandoned or killed when they cease to be "useful."Jim Sinclair jisincla (AT) syr (DOT) eduwww.jimsinclair. orghttp://moosepuppy. petfinder. com

Guest guest

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Peter VV<swpgh01.t21 wrote:

>

>

> I suppose that as a vegan I am against man using animals or exploiting

> animals. Does making them work , whether it be as a guide dog , or pulling a

> plough count?

Does " making " people get a job, in order to earn money, so they can

pay for food and shelter and other needs, count as exploitation?

I think it depends on whether the work required is reasonable given

the worker's capabilities, and on who's benefiting from the labor.

Jim Sinclair jisincla

www.jimsinclair.org

http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com

Guest guest

I dont have a problem with an animal doing a bit of working for a living, as long as they are not being asked to do something that would harm them, they are not being pushed beyond what they should be asked to do and they are well treated and are retired at the end of their working abilities.

'Do what thou wilt, but harm none'. Each individual is responsible for discovering his or her own true nature and developing it fully, in harmony with the outer world.

Goddess Bless.

Peter VV <swpgh01.t21vegan-network Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 2:31:22 PMRe: [100% veg*n ] If you were a vegan farmer

I suppose that as a vegan I am against man using animals or exploiting animals. Does making them work , whether it be as a guide dog , or pulling a plough count?

Peter vv

Jim Sinclair <jisincla (AT) syr (DOT) edu>vegan-networkMonday, 20 July, 2009 8:23:52 PMRe: [100% veg*n ] If you were a vegan farmer

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM,swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com<swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com> wrote:> Would you use horses as beasts of burden?I'm not sure how feasible it would be for me to be a farmer at a scalewhere I would need to choose between using "beasts of burden" vs.using fossil-fuel- burning mechanical equipment.As a general principle, I think it makes sense that if I'm providingfor an animal's food, shelter, veterinary care,physical and emotional comfort, companionship, and whatever else theanimal needs to have a good quality of life, and *if* there'ssomething the animal can do in turn to make a contribution to thehousehold it's

benefiting from being a part of, and *if* making thatcontribution would not impose harm or suffering on the animal, thenit's reasonable to expect the animal to make such a contribution.Suppose I had the land and the money to be able to take in a rescuedhorse. Suppose I also had enough land to grow crops, which I would useeither directly as feed and bedding for the horse, or indirectly tosell to paying customers so I could buy things to provide for thehorse.Suppose, after being treated for any effects of previous maltreatment,the horse is in a condition to be able to pull a piece of farmequipment without suffering harm or distress. Suppose I am able tofind or make or custom-order any necessary tack that isn't made ofleather. If I can humanely train the horse to help in the growing andharvesting of crops, then I wouldn't need to depend on environmentallydestructive machinery, and I wouldn't

need to pay for fossil fuels toburn in environmentally destructive machinery.If any able-bodied rescue horses were working either to earnadditional income for me, or to reduce my expenditures (e.g., forfossil fuels), that just might make it possible for me to afford totake in more rescue animals. I think that would be a good thing forthe animals in my care.It seems to me to be plausible that, at least on the small scale of anindividual homestead, it is reasonable to expect animals to makecontributions which are not harmful to the animals' well-being, andwhich the animals themselves benefit from (either directly in terms ofhelping to produce their own food, or indirectly in terms of helpingto earn money which is used to provide for the animals' needs). Thisis part of cooperative co-existence between humans and domesticatedanimals.Of course this is a very different matter from

commercial breeding ofanimals to be bought and sold as commodities, used to make maximumprofit for their owners and without regard for the animals' ownwell-being, then abandoned or killed when they cease to be "useful."Jim Sinclair jisincla (AT) syr (DOT) eduwww.jimsinclair. orghttp://moosepuppy. petfinder. com

Guest guest

While I am very much opposed to the use of animals in "entertainment", I have no such objections to service animals and working animals, provided they are treated well.

For instance, K-9 officers and their dogs are partners. The dog stays with his human partner. He is typically given positive reinforcement during training (you found the planted drugs and gave the signal, good boy). I have also heard that some drug-sniffing or bomb-sniffing dogs are rescues, but I could be wrong.

So if a vegan farmer used a horse to pull his plow (instead of the fossil-fuel burning tractor), and he made sure his horse got plenty of rest, water, what-have-you, I probably wouldn't object.

Danielle

EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOODJoin me

vegan-network From: winterchill57Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:40:34 -0700Re: [100% veg*n ] If you were a vegan farmer

I dont have a problem with an animal doing a bit of working for a living, as long as they are not being asked to do something that would harm them, they are not being pushed beyond what they should be asked to do and they are well treated and are retired at the end of their working abilities.

'Do what thou wilt, but harm none'. Each individual is responsible for discovering his or her own true nature and developing it fully, in harmony with the outer world.

Goddess Bless.

Peter VV <swpgh01.t21 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com>vegan-network Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 2:31:22 PMRe: [100% veg*n ] If you were a vegan farmer

Peter vv

Jim Sinclair <jisincla (AT) syr (DOT) edu>vegan-networkMonday, 20 July, 2009 8:23:52 PMRe: [100% veg*n ] If you were a vegan farmer

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM,swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com<swpgh01.t21@ btinternet. com> wrote:> Would you use horses as beasts of burden?I'm not sure how feasible it would be for me to be a farmer at a scalewhere I would need to choose between using "beasts of burden" vs.using fossil-fuel- burning mechanical equipment.As a general principle, I think it makes sense that if I'm providingfor an animal's food, shelter, veterinary care,physical and emotional comfort, companionship, and whatever else theanimal needs to have a good quality of life, and *if* there'ssomething the animal can do in turn to make a contribution to thehousehold it's benefiting from being a part of, and *if* making thatcontribution would not impose harm or suffering on the animal, thenit's reasonable to expect the animal to make such a contribution.Suppose I had the land and the money to be able to take in a rescuedhorse. Suppose I also had enough land to grow crops, which I would useeither directly as feed and bedding for the horse, or indirectly tosell to paying customers so I could buy things to provide for thehorse.Suppose, after being treated for any effects of previous maltreatment,the horse is in a condition to be able to pull a piece of farmequipment without suffering harm or distress. Suppose I am able tofind or make or custom-order any necessary tack that isn't made ofleather. If I can humanely train the horse to help in the growing andharvesting of crops, then I wouldn't need to depend on environmentallydestructive machinery, and I wouldn't need to pay for fossil fuels toburn in environmentally destructive machinery.If any able-bodied rescue horses were working either to earnadditional income for me, or to reduce my expenditures (e.g., forfossil fuels), that just might make it possible for me to afford totake in more rescue animals. I think that would be a good thing forthe animals in my care.It seems to me to be plausible that, at least on the small scale of anindividual homestead, it is reasonable to expect animals to makecontributions which are not harmful to the animals' well-being, andwhich the animals themselves benefit from (either directly in terms ofhelping to produce their own food, or indirectly in terms of helpingto earn money which is used to provide for the animals' needs). Thisis part of cooperative co-existence between humans and domesticatedanimals.Of course this is a very different matter from commercial breeding ofanimals to be bought and sold as commodities, used to make maximumprofit for their owners and without regard for the animals' ownwell-being, then abandoned or killed when they cease to be "useful."Jim Sinclair jisincla (AT) syr (DOT) eduwww.jimsinclair. orghttp://moosepuppy. petfinder. com