IndiaDivine.org

[100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

go outside, get away from the computer, and go for a walk

there, all done..no worries about vitamin D

"swpgh01.t21" Aug 13, 2009 3:27 AM vegan-network [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

Vitamin D is a little bit of an imposter; it's not really a vitamin at all because, technically, it's not required in the diet. We can make all we need with adequate skin exposure to sunlight.Theoretically, it doesn't take much effort to synthesize enough vitamin D. Just 20 to 30 minutes in the sun three times a week can do it for some people. But older people and those with darker skin make vitamin D less efficiently. Smog interferes with vitamin D manufacture as well. So does the use of sunscreen.It's become clear that most people need an additional source of vitamin D to avoid deficiency. Vitamin D is needed for healthy bones, but it also may play a role in reducing cancer risk and depression.Vitamin D in foodsThe need for a dietary vitamin D source became clear in the industrial age when jobs took many people, including children, out of the sunlight and into the factory. With few natural dietary sources of this vitamin—it's generally found only in fatty fish and some eggs—deficiency became widespread. The government responded by requiring vitamin D fortification of milk.Unless it's added to it, though, milk does not contain vitamin D. And because it is added to large volumes of milk, there has been evidence of quality control problems, with vitamin D not being well mixed in the milk. A series of studies from the 1990s showed that, in some factories, the vitamin D was poorly distributed. Some cartons of milk ended up with no detectable vitamin D while others had extremely high amounts. This raised questions among experts about whether people could depend on milk for meeting vitamin D requirements.Vegan vitamin DMost of the vitamin D used to fortify foods is vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol. It's derived from animals—often from the wool of sheep. An alternative source is vitamin D2, or ergocalciferol, which comes from bacteria. Among vitamin D experts, there has been debate about D2 and whether it works as well as D3. But recent research shows that the vegan vitamin D is just as effective as the type derived from animals.Most mainstream products—like breakfast cereals—contain vitamin D3. But a growing number of vegetarian foods, including soy and other nondairy milks, are fortified with D2. There are also D2 supplements in nongel caps available now.The recommended intake (referred to as an Adequate Intake or AI) for vitamin D is 5 micrograms per day for adults, 10 micrograms for those over age 50 and 15 micrograms for people over the age of 70. But there is evidence that these amounts are much too low. In fact, recent research suggests that low vitamin D status is extremely common among all population groups. The growing consensus is that recommendations for vitamin D intake need to be raised.If you get regular mid-day sun exposure without sunscreen on days when the sun is hot and bright enough to cause sunburn, you are probably making enough vitamin D. But this may not be true for those with more skin pigmentation or for older people. It's probably prudent for everyone to get 25 micrograms of vitamin D daily, particularly during times of the year when there is no hot sunlight or if you avoid the sun. Vegans can choose supplements of vitamin D2.

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

• 1 month later...

ullo blake

long time............

sebsi23 Sep 16, 2009 11:00 AM vegan-network Re: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

Sound advice, Frag. Nice to see you folks. Blake Wilson

Hi Blake where you been hiding?

Peter vv

sebsi23 <mbwvegan-network Sent: Wednesday, 16 September, 2009 4:00:20 PMRe: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

HI friends. I just took a break. How's the action around here? Blake On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Peter VV <swpgh01.t21 wrote:

Peter vv

sebsi23 <mbwvegan-network

Wednesday, 16 September, 2009 4:00:20 PMRe: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

here? slow and quiet

in life, crazy as usual

how's life in the mountains? anything new? find any new veggie places?

sad....wish i was in yer neck of the woods. GABF starts today

fraggle

Blake Wilson Sep 17, 2009 10:47 AM vegan-network Re: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

HI friends. I just took a break. How's the action around here? Blake

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Peter VV <swpgh01.t21 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter vv

sebsi23 <mbw

vegan-network Sent: Wednesday, 16 September, 2009 4:00:20 PM

Re: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

Yeps on the Beer Fest. Thought about you when I started seeing the posters.  There is a new brewery operating just down the hill from us: Upslope. Fine stuff, cans only in the stores but we're getting their growlers. Can't buy any more local than these guys.

Veg scene in Boulder seems to have improved over the year we've been here.  But best place in the area is still....my house. :^)B. On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 9:18 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

here? slow and quiet

in life, crazy as usual

fraggle

just couldn't afford GABF this year...again

*sigh*

Upslope eh? hopefully they don't use any silly isinglass!

fraggle

Blake Wilson Sep 17, 2009 11:47 AM vegan-network Re: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

Yeps on the Beer Fest. Thought about you when I started seeing the posters. There is a new brewery operating just down the hill from us: Upslope. Fine stuff, cans only in the stores but we're getting their growlers. Can't buy any more local than these guys. Veg scene in Boulder seems to have improved over the year we've been here. But best place in the area is still....my house. :^)B.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 9:18 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

here? slow and quiet

in life, crazy as usual

fraggle

Hah, I have failed to inquire....but I should. Familiarity breeds contempt! B. On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:11 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

*sigh*

fraggle

Blake Wilson Sep 17, 2009 11:47 AM vegan-network

Yeps on the Beer Fest. Thought about you when I started seeing the posters.  There is a new brewery operating just down the hill from us: Upslope. Fine stuff, cans only in the stores but we're getting their growlers. Can't buy any more local than these guys.

Veg scene in Boulder seems to have improved over the year we've been here.  But best place in the area is still....my house. :^)B.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 9:18 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

here? slow and quiet

in life, crazy as usual

fraggle

" Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me. "

Blake from the other group?

Hi Welcome!

It's anouk. I'm vegan since '03

Colin is here in this group too.

btw, all of the emails from this group has been showing up in my spam folder. gee thanks .

"Sean capaces siempre de sentir, en lo más hondo, cualquier injusticia realizada contra cualquiera, en cualquier parte del mundo.."Ernesto 'Che' Guevara.

Blake Wilson <mbwvegan-network Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:20:18 PMRe: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

Hah, I have failed to inquire....but I should. Familiarity breeds contempt! B.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:11 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

*sigh*

fraggle

Blake Wilson

Sep 17, 2009 11:47 AM vegan-network Re: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

'Tis I. Any hot topics going on? B. On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Anouk <zurumato wrote:

Hi Welcome!

btw, all of the emails from this group has been showing up in my spam folder. gee thanks .

" Sean capaces siempre de sentir, en lo más hondo, cualquier injusticia realizada contra cualquiera, en cualquier parte del mundo.. " Ernesto 'Che' Guevara.

Blake Wilson <mbwvegan-network

Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:20:18 PMRe: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:11 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

*sigh*

fraggle

Blake Wilson

Sep 17, 2009 11:47 AM vegan-network Re: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

Hi there yall,

I am totally enjoying this veggie group, it is a great group for people who are veggies for moral reasons.

'Do what thou wilt, but harm none'. Each individual is responsible for discovering his or her own true nature and developing it fully, in harmony with the outer world.

Goddess Bless.

Blake Wilson <mbwvegan-network Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:53:27 PMRe: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

'Tis I. Any hot topics going on? B.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Anouk <zurumato (AT) verizon (DOT) net> wrote:

Hi Welcome!

"Sean capaces siempre de sentir, en lo más hondo, cualquier injusticia realizada contra cualquiera, en cualquier parte del mundo.."Ernesto 'Che' Guevara.

Blake Wilson <mbw

vegan-networkThursday, September 17, 2009 12:20:18 PM

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:11 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

*sigh*

fraggle

Blake Wilson

Has anyone's cold/flu symtoms gotten better now that you are vegan?

I heard that we vegans produce less mucus and some people have such great immune system from all the fruits and veggies that they didn't even know that they had a cold/flu because they recover in one or two days.

I'm curious what is your experience? Do you think that you handle getting sick better now than your pre-vegan days? Or is it the same?

Anouk

Winterchill <winterchill57vegan-network Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 11:27:54 AMRe: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

Hi there yall,

I am totally enjoying this veggie group, it is a great group for people who are veggies for moral reasons.

'Do what thou wilt, but harm none'. Each individual is responsible for discovering his or her own true nature and developing it fully, in harmony with the outer world.

Goddess Bless.

Blake Wilson <mbwvegan-network Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:53:27 PMRe: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

'Tis I. Any hot topics going on? B.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Anouk <zurumato (AT) verizon (DOT) net> wrote:

Hi Welcome!

Blake Wilson <mbw vegan-networkThursday, September 17, 2009 12:20:18 PM Re: [100% veg*n ] Vegan 101: Can you get enough vitamin D without milk?

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:11 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

*sigh*

fraggle

Blake Wilson