IndiaDivine.org

zine-on-an-email October 1999

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Zine-on-an-Email

October 1999

Edited by Andy Savage

Welcome to October's issue of Zine-on-an-Email. So much groovy stuff is being contributed to our egroup, UniqueThings, so all this month's poems have been chosen from there. You can to UniqueThings by sending a blank email to:

uniquethings-

Poems of the Month

All the ColorThe world and all its colors,the people, shades of a palette,touching elbows on crowded sidewalkstheir thoughts bleed into the cracks.They're seeking a sign,perhaps a bright light, or light toucha dream, or a moving shadowthey're reading books by stacks.Like transistory rainbowsthey walk in rows, notingtheir differances, in race, and creednot realizing each life rides similar tracks.Janelle Gregory ©August 18, 1999

The Queen Ant's Lament

In those days, you see, I was terribly keen,it seemed like a job for a girl with a plan - what could be better than being a queen?

I was beautiful then, I'd simper and preenflutter my wings like a paper silk fan - in those days, you see, I was awfully keen.

And one day in August, the best that I've seenI made my one maiden flight to chose a young man what could be better than being a queen?

When I tore off my wings, I didn't think it would be meanI'd be here, in the dark for my natural span,in those days, you see, I was still pretty keen.

I'm fed and I'm pampered, for ten years I've beenin this hole, laying eggs, as fast I canwhat would be better than being a queen?

Only some days I fancy a change of a scene,to feel sunlight and air, to be free of this clan,these days, you see, I'm not very keen -what should be better than being a queen?

Helen Clare

Twisted FateA dead silence screams its funneled forecast- wicked whirlwinds in the mix- hot meets cold fronting quick death and destruction on its doomed path- the spiral, coiled mass of fury hisses and lashes forth- mangling, razing, strangling, mazing, pillaging, plundering, gyrating, thundering, huffing, heaving, shredding, weaving, twisting, whirling, raging, hurling, belching, grinding, spewing, winding its course, until spiraling winds blow twisted exhaust and come to gasping, suffo- cating, breath- less halt. -Lori Isom

Ode to Blue-Haired Ladies

They drive battleships down Mo-Pac at eighty miles per hour,Peeping through the window of the wheel,Hands at ten and two above their heads.

Next to them,I see blue birds' nests and noses, spectacles perched atop their beatific smiles, gnarled knuckles absently in place.

I wonder what the blue-haired ladies think, perched on pillows inside two-ton metal missiles hurtling down macadam and concrete.

I've never seen a single one look to the side, the rear, or ever use a mirror except to plant some artificial roses in her cheeks.

They must drive divinely guided --For I know they don't see me;They don't see anyone.They don't see traffic lights or stop signs, dogs or joggers.They see Jesus' face, I think, and he leads them safely home and to the store for kitty litter.

I see them humming in their tinted, cool cocoons; "The Old Rugged Cross" comes in telepathic transit through my window, powered by the fervor of habitual belief.

The blue-haired ladies fill the roads, a great and growing flock of souls on cruise control -- holy rollers driven by their Lord, their Ford, their Pontifiac, their First Church of Buick, comfy in their leather pews.Candles burn upon the dash next to plastic virgins grinding to the bumps.

I think blue hair must really be secret, complex antennae that link little old ladies directly to God.Otherwise, all the roads and highways would be littered with their corpses.

I smile at that -- and I relax, safe in my knowledge that the car ahead, powered by a blue-haired Oldsmobile apostle, is surely, truly, blessed.

-- Keith Owen

There are a trillion souls out there -One of them must be rightI'll sit here on my mountainAnd think of one tonightYet nothing beats the physical:The touch, the sound, the sightDown here on the groundIs where I'll stage my fightIt's all a question of vibrationWanna vibrate with me tonite?Joe Fleury

Reviews

In the Sink, by The legendary Poptones & Bidoche Musique.

This is a 40 minute tape of short, mainly instrumental, 60's style psychedelic music. There's lots of little tapping percussion noises which wonderfully gives the impression of the whole thing being performed in the sink ! It's fun and I liked it.

Available for trade or us$10 from: Slack Records, Joe Fleury, Dailles 22, 1752 Villars-sur-Glane, Switzerland.

Schnittstellen, by Krankheit der Jugend

A cd of experimental German music. Some tracks are close to being jazz, others are more pop. All the lyrics are in German, which makes a change and is nice to listen to, though I can't understand it!

Contact: Tim Siebert, Hauptstr.75,74206 Bad Wimpfen, Germany.

email: jsieber

Burgundy, by Various Artists

A pleasing compilation tape of acoustic guitar songs, featuring strong tracks from Grasp, Timo, Vampire Circus, Don Campau and others.

Contact: Kim, Bliss Tapes, 68 Barlich Way, Lodge Park, Redditch, Worcs, B98 7JP, UK.

If you'd like to submit anything for review, please send an email for details to andy?subject=reviews

Website News

The rugby union world cup is now underway, so check out our rugby-both-codes message board, where you can post your own views, at

http://www.andysav.free-online.co.uk/rugby.htm

Lovely Ivor's Links page has just been updated with more fun links for you to try -

http://www.andysav.free-online.co.uk/links.htm

Lovely Ivor's Story page has also had an update -

http://www.andysav.free-online.co.uk/story.htm

That's about it for this issue, but before I go, here's the url to download a freeware Astrology screensaver for Windows 95/98/NT4 (355kb):

http://www.andysav.free-online.co.uk/astro.zip

To to Zine-on-an-Email just send a blank email to:

zineonanemail-