IndiaDivine.org

raw garlic or onions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Greetings Family,

In traditional ayurveda garlic and onion are not usually used in the same dish. But they are used as they are medicinal. In place of one or both, asafetida (hing or hingu) is used often. Asafetida gives the flavor of onion or garlic because it like them has a high sulfur content. Onion, garlic and hing heal with sulfur - better skin, hair nails, antifungal, antibacterial, anthelminthic (kills parasites). Although she did not to castes, my grandmother told me the belief of not using both onion and garlic in the same dish even extends in the caste system as it's considered 'low caste' to eat both in the same dish. Deep huh?

As my family is from the Caribbean, I use Hing often in cooking. I recommend using the mild yellow asafetida powder and not the grey variety. Asafetida is available at Indian grocers and Caribbean specialty stores. Even though most folks recommend sautéing it in ghee (clarified butter) or coconut oil before adding it to dishes, I have used it without the browning method. Much the same as curry is recommended to be cooked first.... it's not necessary if you know what you're doing. :-) Please let me know if you need any help with Caribbean, South/Central American and Asian/Indian seasonings and dishes. They are my passion.

Here is some more info you may find of interest:

The aromatic resin from the root of the giant fennel, Ferula asafoetida. Asafetida, also known as hing, is extracted from the stems of these giant perennial plants that grow wild in Central Asia, especially Northern Iran and Afghanistan. In the spring, when the plant is about to bloom, the stems and roots are cut. Milky resin exudes from the cut surface and is scraped off. The gummy resin is sun-dried into a solid mass that is then sold in solid, wax-like pieces. Most raw asafetida is sent to India for further processing and sale, mostly in the convenient powdered form.

Asafetida has been held in great esteem among indigenous medicines from the earliest times in the Mid-East & India. In the days of Moghul aristocracy in India, the court singers of Agra and Delhi would wake before dawn and eat a spoonful of asafetida with butter to enhance their singing voice before practicing on the banks of the Yamuna river.

Asafetida is also excellent for settling flatulence and is prescribed by Indian herbalists for respiratory problems like whooping cough and asthma.

Due to the presence of sulfur compounds, raw asafetida has a distinctive pungent aroma. It adds a delicious flavor reminiscent of a mixture of shallots and garlic.

There are about 70 different spices grown all over the world, of which a large number have made their home in India. The most common use of spices is as appetizers. They lend flavor, aroma and taste to our food. People in India have been using them for another important purpose too - as medicines. There was a time when every housewife routinely treated minor ailments such as cold and cough, burns bruises and stomach upsets.

Unfortunately, with the spread of modern medicine, we have forgotten much of this valuable heritage. It helps cure: Stomach disorders - It is one of the best remedies for flatulence. A piece of the gum or a quarter teaspoon of the powder can be dissolved in hot water and used for fomenting the stomach. Alternatively, a large pinch of the powder can be dissolved in warm coconut oil and rubbed over the navel and around. Respiratory Disorders - Whooping cough, asthma and bronchitis can all be treated with asafetida. Mix a large pinch of the powder or a small piece of the gum with two teaspoons of honey, a quarter teaspoon of white onion juice and one teaspoon of betel-leaf juice and take three times daily. Hysteria - Smelling this gum can prevent hysterical attacks. An emulsion of two grams of asafetida in 120 ml of water can be given as an enema if oral administration is not advisable. Sexual Dysfunction - In cases of impotency, about six centigrams of the spice should be fried and mixed with honey and a teaspoon of fresh latex from a banyan tree. This mixture should be taken before sunrise, once daily for 40 days. Toothache - Grind a bit of the gum with a pestle in lemon juice and warm slightly. Soak a piece of clean cotton in this lotion and place in the cavity of the painful tooth for speedy relief

Be well,

~Sunyatta

Guest guest

Family, I am interested in knowing whether any cooking classes are scheduled for the next few weeks or months. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the last one with Lynda Carter. I am reading and learning more about the "live food" lifestyle. Eventually, I would like to consume 100% live foods. However, at this point, I am still very much a novice. Any advice on cooking classes would be deeply appreciated. Peace, Kenosha--- On Fri 04/30, dr. sunyatta amen < dr.sunyatta > wrote:dr. sunyatta amen [ dr.sunyatta] Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:46:00 -0400 raw garlic or onionsGreetings Family, In traditional ayurveda garlic and onion are not usually used in the same dish. But they are used as they are medicinal. In place of one or both, asafetida (hing or hingu) is used often. Asafetida gives the flavor of onion or garlic because it like them has a high sulfur content. Onion, garlic and hing heal with sulfur - better skin, hair nails, antifungal, antibacterial, anthelminthic (kills parasites). Although she did not to castes, my grandmother told me the belief of not using both onion and garlic in the same dish even extends in the caste system as it's considered 'low caste' to eat both in the same dish. Deep huh? As my family is from the Caribbean, I use Hing often in cooking. I recommend using the mild yellow asafetida powder and not the grey variety. Asafetida is available at Indian grocers and Caribbean specialty stores. Even though most folks recommend sautéing it in ghee (clarified butter) or coconut oil before adding it to dishes, I have used it without the browning method. Much the same as curry is recommended to be cooked first.... it's not necessary if you know what you're doing. :-) Please let me know if you need any help with Caribbean, South/Central American and Asian/Indian seasonings and dishes. They are my passion. Here is some more info you may find of interest:The aromatic resin from the root of the giant fennel, Ferula asafoetida. Asafetida, also known as hing, is extracted from the stems of these giant perennial plants that grow wild in Central Asia, especially Northern Iran and Afghanistan. In the spring, when the plant is about to bloom, the stems and roots are cut. Milky resin exudes from the cut surface and is scraped off. The gummy resin is sun-dried into a solid mass that is then sold in solid, wax-like pieces. Most raw asafetida is sent to India for further processing and sale, mostly in the convenient powdered form.Asafetida has been held in great esteem among indigenous medicines from the earliest times in the Mid-East & India. In the days of Moghul aristocracy in India, the court singers of Agra and Delhi would wake before dawn and eat a spoonful of asafetida with butter to enhance their singing voice before practicing on the banks of the Yamuna river.Asafetida is also excellent for settling flatulence and is prescribed by Indian herbalists for respiratory problems like whooping cough and asthma.Due to the presence of sulfur compounds, raw asafetida has a distinctive pungent aroma. It adds a delicious flavor reminiscent of a mixture of shallots and garlic. There are about 70 different spices grown all over the world, of which a large number have made their home in India. The most common use of spices is as appetizers. They lend flavor, aroma and taste to our food. People in India have been using them for another important purpose too - as medicines. There was a time when every housewife routinely treated minor ailments such as cold and cough, burns bruises and stomach upsets. Unfortunately, with the spread of modern medicine, we have forgotten much of this valuable heritage. It helps cure: Stomach disorders - It is one of the best remedies for flatulence. A piece of the gum or a quarter teaspoon of the powder can be dissolved in hot water and used for fomenting the stomach. Alternatively, a large pinch of the powder can be dissolved in warm coconut oil and rubbed over the navel and around. Respiratory Disorders - Whooping cough, asthma and bronchitis can all be treated with asafetida. Mix a large pinch of the powder or a small piece of the gum with two teaspoons of honey, a quarter teaspoon of white onion juice and one teaspoon of betel-leaf juice and take three times daily. Hysteria - Smelling this gum can prevent hysterical attacks. An emulsion of two grams of asafetida in 120 ml of water can be given as an enema if oral administration is not advisable. Sexual Dysfunction - In cases of impotency, about six centigrams of the spice should be fried and mixed with honey and a teaspoon of fresh latex from a banyan tree. This mixture should be taken before sunrise, once daily for 40 days. Toothache - Grind a bit of the gum with a pestle in lemon juice and warm slightly. Soak a piece of clean cotton in this lotion and place in the cavity of the painful tooth for speedy reliefBe well,~SunyattaJoin Excite! - http://www.excite.comThe most personalized portal on the Web!

Guest guest

Hi Kenosha,

If you will take a moment to either check out 's message #827

in the " messages section " you find information posted by Zatitie and

the classes she offers or just contact her at: zatitie.

I am working with Elijah Fall, the Raw Chef at " Secrets of Nature "

Health and Live Foods Store and Resturant in S.E. DC to set up a food

prep class that he will present hopefully on May 22.

I will send another post as soon as we have confirmed.

Elaine

, " " <Ferrell1906@e...> wrote:

> Family, I am interested in knowing whether any cooking classes are

scheduled for the next few weeks or months. Unfortunately, I wasn't

able to attend the last one with Lynda Carter. I am reading and

learning more about the " live food " lifestyle. Eventually, I would

like to consume 100% live foods. However, at this point, I am still

very much a novice. Any advice on cooking classes would be deeply

appreciated. Peace, Kenosha

Guest guest

Thank you Sunyatta,

I have been using Hing but its always to strong in my live food dishes. I will try the yellow one. Hope Matt will carry it in his E- Organic co-op:). Along with some glass water bottles.

I am interested in a spice class.

peace

Zatiti

Guest guest

Greetings Members:

I asked BillSardi at www.askbillsardi.com about the live onion and garlic issue and here is his answer:

"Other than they are difficult on the tummy, no.Raw, cut or chopped garlic is the only way to get plenty of active ingredients from a clove"........B Sardi<Ferrell1906 wrote:

Family,I am interested in knowing whether any cooking classes are scheduled for the next few weeks or months. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the last one with Lynda Carter. I am reading and learning more about the "live food" lifestyle. Eventually, I would like to consume 100% live foods. However, at this point, I am still very much a novice. Any advice on cooking classes would be deeply appreciated.Peace,Kenosha--- On Fri 04/30, dr. sunyatta amen < dr.sunyatta > wrote:

dr. sunyatta amen [ dr.sunyatta] Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:46:00 -0400 raw garlic or onions

Greetings Family,

In traditional ayurveda garlic and onion are not usually used in the same dish. But they are used as they are medicinal. In place of one or both, asafetida (hing or hingu) is used often. Asafetida gives the flavor of onion or garlic because it like them has a high sulfur content. Onion, garlic and hing heal with sulfur - better skin, hair nails, antifungal, antibacterial, anthelminthic (kills parasites). Although she did not to castes, my grandmother told me the belief of not using both onion and garlic in the same dish even extends in the caste system as it's considered 'low caste' to eat both in the same dish. Deep huh?

As my family is from the Caribbean, I use Hing often in cooking. I recommend using the mild yellow asafetida powder and not the grey variety. Asafetida is available at Indian grocers and Caribbean specialty stores. Even though most folks recommend sautéing it in ghee (clarified butter) or coconut oil before adding it to dishes, I have used it without the browning method. Much the same as curry is recommended to be cooked first.... it's not necessary if you know what you're doing. :-) Please let me know if you need any help with Caribbean, South/Central American and Asian/Indian seasonings and dishes. They are my passion.

Here is some more info you may find of interest:

The aromatic resin from the root of the giant fennel, Ferula asafoetida. Asafetida, also known as hing, is extracted from the stems of these giant perennial plants that grow wild in Central Asia, especially Northern Iran and Afghanistan. In the spring, when the plant is about to bloom, the stems and roots are cut. Milky resin exudes from the cut surface and is scraped off. The gummy resin is sun-dried into a solid mass that is then sold in solid, wax-like pieces. Most raw asafetida is sent to India for further processing and sale, mostly in the convenient powdered form.

Asafetida has been held in great esteem among indigenous medicines from the earliest times in the Mid-East & India. In the days of Moghul aristocracy in India, the court singers of Agra and Delhi would wake before dawn and eat a spoonful of asafetida with butter to enhance their singing voice before practicing on the banks of the Yamuna river.

Asafetida is also excellent for settling flatulence and is prescribed by Indian herbalists for respiratory problems like whooping cough and asthma.

Due to the presence of sulfur compounds, raw asafetida has a distinctive pungent aroma. It adds a delicious flavor reminiscent of a mixture of shallots and garlic.

There are about 70 different spices grown all over the world, of which a large number have made their home in India. The most common use of spices is as appetizers. They lend flavor, aroma and taste to our food. People in India have been using them for another important purpose too - as medicines. There was a time when every housewife routinely treated minor ailments such as cold and cough, burns bruises and stomach upsets.

Unfortunately, with the spread of modern medicine, we have forgotten much of this valuable heritage. It helps cure: Stomach disorders - It is one of the best remedies for flatulence. A piece of the gum or a quarter teaspoon of the powder can be dissolved in hot water and used for fomenting the stomach. Alternatively, a large pinch of the powder can be dissolved in warm coconut oil and rubbed over the navel and around. Respiratory Disorders - Whooping cough, asthma and bronchitis can all be treated with asafetida. Mix a large pinch of the powder or a small piece of the gum with two teaspoons of honey, a quarter teaspoon of white onion juice and one teaspoon of betel-leaf juice and take three times daily. Hysteria - Smelling this gum can prevent hysterical attacks. An emulsion of two grams of asafetida in 120 ml of water can be given as an enema if oral administration is not advisable. Sexual Dysfunction - In cases of impotency, about six centigrams of the spice should be fried and mixed with honey and a teaspoon of fresh latex from a banyan tree. This mixture should be taken before sunrise, once daily for 40 days. Toothache - Grind a bit of the gum with a pestle in lemon juice and warm slightly. Soak a piece of clean cotton in this lotion and place in the cavity of the painful tooth for speedy relief

Be well,

~Sunyatta

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.comThe most personalized portal on the Web!

Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at HotJobs