IndiaDivine.org

Digest Number 311

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Em I think we all need to action to bring down the price of vegetarian

alternatives. It's crazy

insane that we have to pay more to eat in a responsible manner.

As for McDonalds and kids, have you seen their ad where hamburgers grow on

trees? They

obviously don't want kids to associate hamburgers with dead animals...

AS for the Boca alternatives, try their chicken -- it's as good as the

burgers!

Thanks for all the great recipes, guys. What a gold mine this site is!

Barbara

> AS for the Boca alternatives, try their chicken -- it's as good as the

> burgers!

>

> Thanks for all the great recipes, guys. What a gold mine this site is!

> Barbara

I know Boca makes a vegan " hamburger " patty... does anyone know if Boca (or

any other company) makes a vegan " chicken " patty? I've been vegetarian for

nearly 2 years, and recently decided to take the vegan plunge... but I just

found out that the Morning Star " chik patties " that I'd been eating aren't

vegan (neither are their hotdogs). If anyone knows of any vegan

alternatives to them, please let me know. I'd appreciate it.

- Cindy

HI,

I find all this complaining interesting because my experience with being vegetarian has been so different. I have never found a restraunt unwilling to accomidate my eating habits (even fast food). Being somewhat adventures about food i usually don't even look at the menu and just ask that the chef prepare something vegetarian for me. I find this way i get food that is better quality and more creative than anything on the menu. Most chefs love to create.

As for the price of vegetarian food, I find my grocery bill is lower than any of my meat eating friends. While frozen meat substitutes can be pricey, dried tvp is quite cheap. Pacificgrain.com sells 20lb. of tvp for $25. Add water to this and it will make 64lbs of "hamburger." This works out to 40 cents a pound. Since it is dry and you only reconstitute what you need, there is no waste or spoilage. 5oz. of tvp make one pound of "meat" Try buying in small quanities untill you become comfortable using it in your recipes. The other staples in our diet are beans and rice, cuscous, barley, oatmeal, polenta and other grains. Check with your local restraunt supply house. Ours sells 12 different kinds of beans in 25lb. boxes for $10 each. 25lbs. of dried beans goes a long way. Rice sells for $3.99 for 25lbs. I spend a couple of hundred dollars at the begining of each year stocking up on these staples. Then i spend only about $30 a week on fresh produce, and perishables. If you eat what is in season you can have good quality produce at reasonable prices. I find that the ethnic markets in my area often have better quality produce at better prices. Eating vegetarian is quite affordable once you escape our cultural mindset that food most be over processed. most of these staples can be prepared in slow cookers, pressure cookers or in the oven, all of which require little to no supervision while cooking. Freeing you up to do other chores. I hope this helps some of you who are finding being a vegetarian expensive.

Tracey

-

Barbara MacCameron

Friday, November 03, 2000 3:07 AM

Re: Digest Number 311

Em I think we all need to action to bring down the price of vegetarianalternatives. It's crazyinsane that we have to pay more to eat in a responsible manner.As for McDonalds and kids, have you seen their ad where hamburgers grow ontrees? Theyobviously don't want kids to associate hamburgers with dead animals...AS for the Boca alternatives, try their chicken -- it's as good as theburgers!Thanks for all the great recipes, guys. What a gold mine this site is!Barbaracontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

In a message dated 11/03/2000 4:00:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,

writes:

<< If it's cooked on the same flat-top grill as a dead cow, then so be it.

Little steps make way for BIG steps. " Thank God for little miracles " I

believe the cliche goes. .. .. I know my Vegan compadres will disagree with

me on this, but some of us avoid meat and meat products for purely epicurean

reasons. And if we can get a veggie burger cooked up in a MickyDeez on the

same grill as the dead cows are cooked, don't you think we can eventually

get

a Vegan grill? It's a long shot, but we've got to start somewhere! >>

Sorry for the oneliner..I can't help myself...

Thanks for ordering our McVegan burger...you want fries with that?

Luna :)

I'll be quiet now )

I guess you're both right, Niicci and Susan. For one thing, I'm not about to stop buying soy products, and for another, I suppose there isn't enough demand in my area to drive the price down. (I personally know exactly three other vegetarians in Burlington.) With my hectic schedule, often the only significant source of protein I get in my diet is whatever soy product I find in my freezer to nuke. I hate milk, so I won't drink that (am not vegan however)... leaves not much but long-cooking bean things, cheese, and soy products. And since I can't get any decent fresh cheese curds... *lol* I WANT CHEESE CURDS! OK, sorry, had to get that out of my system. Anyways... until soy things have stopped being a novelty item in my grocery store, I guess I'll be b*tching and moaning about the price. :)

I have, however, found great improvement in the grocery stores around my area of southeastern Iowa.. they are now carrying vegetarian items! For so long, there was nothing. I live in a relatively small town (30,000), with very few options-- HyVee or the WalMart supercenter. HyVee puts theirs across from the alcohol away from the other frozen foods, of course, and WalMart stocks it in the breakfast items section, but hey, at least they have it, right?

In this discussion of fast food, I have seen no mention of Subway. It's always been my choice for quick, relatively cheap and nummy food. Prices range geographically, but I can get a 4" round sandwich for 82 cents. If you're worried about the person making your sandwich touching meat before making yours, just ask them to change their gloves. Most will do this no questions asked-- and if they complain, as a former employee, i can give you a number to call. Sacking guaranteed! *lol* Some of you are thinking "how uninteresting is that?", but really, come on... They've come out with 4 new sauces, 3 vegetarian, 1 fat free, and three new kinds of bread. If you're lacking in imagination, just email me. I've got lots of suggestions! Yum yum. I used to make the best veggies when I worked there-- customers would ask for me to make their sandwiches and let me do whatever I wanted. I never received any complaints, and they always came ba!

ck for more. Some of them get a little messy, though. *lol*

Well, I could ramble on all day, I suppose, but I have to work in the morning... night all!

Smiles,

Em

Dear Em,

Hi...I'm new to the list,and also live in Iowa...Cedar Rapids... they

opened a new Target Supercenter here, and they have the best vegetarian

selection in town. I think my teenaged daughter would die without the soy

chic patties, etc...she comes home from school and fixes a quick dinner

before she goes to work...Target has been good about trying to get foods in

for us...they have the best selection of non-dairy stuff for our ten year

old who is allergic...as for Subway, it's one of the very few fast food

places this family can agree on. My husband and son get meat subs, but my

two teenaged daughters and I get the veggie ones....tell me what you put on

yours, and I'll ask them to do it here!! Does the dill spread contain any

milk products? I've heard that you can only get the dill spread here in

Iowa...my daughter tried to get it in North Dakota, and they laughed at

her....give us some suggestions....we're going there this evening, because

we have some coupons :) Thanks...Sharon

----Original Message Follows----

TalliDehl

Re: Digest Number 311

Sat, 4 Nov 2000 01:09:19 EST

I guess you're both right, Niicci and Susan. For one thing, I'm not about to

stop buying soy products, and for another, I suppose there isn't enough

demand in my area to drive the price down. (I personally know exactly three

other vegetarians in Burlington.) With my hectic schedule, often the only

significant source of protein I get in my diet is whatever soy product I

find

in my freezer to nuke. I hate milk, so I won't drink that (am not vegan

however)... leaves not much but long-cooking bean things, cheese, and soy

products. And since I can't get any decent fresh cheese curds... *lol* I

WANT

CHEESE CURDS! OK, sorry, had to get that out of my system. Anyways... until

soy things have stopped being a novelty item in my grocery store, I guess

I'll be b*tching and moaning about the price. :)

I have, however, found great improvement in the grocery stores around my

area

of southeastern Iowa.. they are now carrying vegetarian items! For so long,

there was nothing. I live in a relatively small town (30,000), with very few

options-- HyVee or the WalMart supercenter. HyVee puts theirs across from

the

alcohol away from the other frozen foods, of course, and WalMart stocks it

in

the breakfast items section, but hey, at least they have it, right?

In this discussion of fast food, I have seen no mention of Subway. It's

always been my choice for quick, relatively cheap and nummy food. Prices

range geographically, but I can get a 4 " round sandwich for 82 cents. If

you're worried about the person making your sandwich touching meat before

making yours, just ask them to change their gloves. Most will do this no

questions asked-- and if they complain, as a former employee, i can give you

a number to call. Sacking guaranteed! *lol* Some of you are thinking " how

uninteresting is that? " , but really, come on... They've come out with 4 new

sauces, 3 vegetarian, 1 fat free, and three new kinds of bread. If you're

lacking in imagination, just email me. I've got lots of suggestions! Yum

yum.

I used to make the best veggies when I worked there-- customers would ask

for

me to make their sandwiches and let me do whatever I wanted. I never

received

any complaints, and they always came back for more. Some of them get a

little

messy, though. *lol*

Well, I could ramble on all day, I suppose, but I have to work in the

morning... night all!

Smiles,

Em

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at

http://profiles.msn.com.

HI,I find all this complaining interesting because my experience with being vegetarian has been so different. I think this probably varies depending on where you live. I live in Northern Ireland, where vegetarian products are not widely available (I mean stuff like TVP, not stuff like broccoli, obviously!) The grocery stores charge a lot more for stuff like tofu than for meat, & the health food stores tend to be small with high overheads, & so their prices are high. Buying veggie stuff in bulk is pretty much impossible. Even the UK companies who send stuff like organic veg out in boxes to their customers each week don't usually ship to Northern Ireland. As a result, our vegetarian menu tends to rely rather heavily on beans of one sort or another....healthy but it does get a bit boring. Deborah - traceycaldwell Friday, November 03, 2000 5:51 PMRe: Digest Number 311HI,I find all this complaining interesting because my experience with being vegetarian has been so different. I have never found a restraunt unwilling to accomidate my eating habits (even fast food). Being somewhat adventures about food i usually don't even look at the menu and just ask that the chef prepare something vegetarian for me. I find this way i get food that is better quality and more creative than anything on the menu. Most chefs love to create. As for the price of vegetarian food, I find my grocery bill is lower than any of my meat eating friends. While frozen meat substitutes can be pricey, dried tvp is quite cheap. Pacificgrain.com sells 20lb. of tvp for $25. Add water to this and it will make 64lbs of "hamburger." This works out to 40 cents a pound. Since it is dry and you only reconstitute what you need, there is no waste or spoilage. 5oz. of tvp make one pound of "meat" Try buying in small quanities untill you become comfortable using it in your recipes. The other staples in our diet are beans and rice, cuscous, barley, oatmeal, polenta and other grains. Check with your local restraunt supply house. Ours sells 12 different kinds of beans in 25lb. boxes for $10 each. 25lbs. of dried beans goes a long way. Rice sells for $3.99 for 25lbs. I spend a couple of hundred dollars at the begining of each year stocking up on these staples. Then i spend only about $30 a week on fresh produce, and perishables. If you eat what is in season you can have good quality produce at reasonable prices. I find that the ethnic markets in my area often have better quality produce at better prices. Eating vegetarian is quite affordable once you escape our cultural mindset that food most be over processed. most of these staples can be prepared in slow cookers, pressure cookers or in the oven, all of which require little to no supervision while cooking. Freeing you up to do other chores. I hope this helps some of you who are finding being a vegetarian expensive.Tracey- Barbara MacCameron Friday, November 03, 2000 3:07 AMRe: Digest Number 311Em I think we all need to action to bring down the price of vegetarianalternatives. It's crazyinsane that we have to pay more to eat in a responsible manner.As for McDonalds and kids, have you seen their ad where hamburgers grow ontrees? Theyobviously don't want kids to associate hamburgers with dead animals...AS for the Boca alternatives, try their chicken -- it's as good as theburgers!Thanks for all the great recipes, guys. What a gold mine this site is!Barbaracontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this listcontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

• 3 years later...