New Book

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 1/24/04 7:33:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, swpgh01 writes:

The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals

>By Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson

i read it!!!!

its great

a bit annecdotal(it doesn't always use the "western scientific method" to come to all its findings)....but still a great read!

read his other books as well, like When Elephants Weep..

the guy is a phsychiatrist...er somesuch.. i know he wrote a series of books on Freud and Freudian thought...

cheers

fraggle

can i just take a moment to bring this book to everyones attention, even though

I have not had a chance to read it yet, I have read rave reviews in the

mainstream press about it. It is basically a book championing veganism by

pointing out a few (obvious to us vegans)facts about farm animals and their

sensetivity and feelings, quoting various examples.

The Book is :

The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals

>By Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson

Nuff Said,

The Valley Vegan....

>

Peter H

--------------------

talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

http://www.talk21.com

I had just finished reading a review of this - in the 10 January copy

of _The Globe and Mail_ (Canada) " Books " section - yesterday and was

going to email and ask you guys about it ;=) Funny - got it right here

next to the puter. Masson is also author to _When Elephants Weep_ and

_Dogs Never Lie About Love_ - neither of which I have read ;=( I am

searching it and his other books out immediately!

Best,

Pat ;=)

>

> can i just take a moment to bring this book to everyones attention, even

though I

> have not had a chance to read it yet, I have read rave reviews in the

mainstream

> press about it. It is basically a book championing veganism by pointing out a

few

> (obvious to us vegans)facts about farm animals and their sensetivity and

> feelings, quoting various examples.

> The Book is :

> The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals

> >By Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson

> Nuff Said,

> The Valley Vegan....

> >

--

SANTBROWN

townhounds/

vegetarianslimming/

HOMEPAGE: http://www.angelfire.com/art/pendragon/

----------

* " There are too many idiots in this world. And having said it, I have

the burden of proving it. " (Franz Fanon)

* " Until he extends the circle of compassion to all living things, man

will not himself find peace. " (Albert Schweitzer)

I think I'll definitely be getting this as I like this guy a lot. Have just finished reading his 'Against Therapy' book which was brilliant.

swpgh01 [swpgh01]24 January 2004 15:30 ; Subject: Re: new bookcan i just take a moment to bring this book to everyones attention, even though I have not had a chance to read it yet, I have read rave reviews in the mainstream press about it. It is basically a book championing veganism by pointing out a few (obvious to us vegans)facts about farm animals and their sensetivity and feelings, quoting various examples.The Book is :The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals>By Jeffrey Moussaieff MassonNuff Said,The Valley Vegan....> Peter H--------------------talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at http://www.talk21.comTo send an email to -

In a message dated 1/26/04 12:53:34 PM Pacific Standard Time, annacblaine writes:

"Against Therapy"? What's that about? I've been in psychotherapy a third of

my life and it seems my condition is only getting worse.

his premise in the book is that modern therapy is corrupted and wrongheaded..as the treatment follows the interests of the therapist, and not the patient....

" Against Therapy " ? What's that about? I've been in psychotherapy a third of

my life and it seems my condition is only getting worse.

Love,

Anna

> " Lee Delaney " <lee.delaney

>

>

>RE: Re: new book

>Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:53:16 -0000

>

>I think I'll definitely be getting this as I like this guy a lot. Have just

>finished reading his 'Against Therapy' book which was brilliant.

>

> swpgh01 [swpgh01]

> 24 January 2004 15:30

> ;

> Re: new book

>

>

>

> can i just take a moment to bring this book to everyones attention, even

>though I have not had a chance to read it yet, I have read rave reviews in

>the mainstream press about it. It is basically a book championing veganism

>by pointing out a few (obvious to us vegans)facts about farm animals and

>their sensetivity and feelings, quoting various examples.

> The Book is :

> The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals

> >By Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson

> Nuff Said,

> The Valley Vegan....

> >

>

> Peter H

>

> --------------------

> talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

>http://www.talk21.com

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>----------

>--

>

i am in person centred therapy and it has been marvellous......and no, no one is telling me what to do i have been empowered to make ALL my own decisions........

catherine

>EBbrewpunx > > >Re: Re: new book >Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:01:40 EST > >In a message dated 1/26/04 12:53:34 PM Pacific Standard Time, >annacblaine writes: > > > > > > "Against Therapy"? What's that about? I've been in psychotherapy a third of > > > > my life and it seems my condition is only getting worse. > > > his premise in the book is that modern therapy is corrupted and >wrongheaded..as the treatment follows the interests of the therapist, and not the >patient.... Personalise your e-mails with photos, expressive graphics and stationery - sign up for MSN 8 today!

What's the name of the author again?

Love,

Anna

>EBbrewpunx

>

>

>Re: Re: new book

>Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:01:40 EST

>

>In a message dated 1/26/04 12:53:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,

>annacblaine writes:

> >

> >

> > " Against Therapy " ? What's that about? I've been in psychotherapy a

>third of

> >

> > my life and it seems my condition is only getting worse.

> >

> his premise in the book is that modern therapy is corrupted and

>wrongheaded..as the treatment follows the interests of the therapist, and

>not the

>patient....

There are now three new levels of MSN Hotmail Extra Storage! Learn more.

http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us & page=hotmail/es2 & ST=1

The Author is Jeffrey Masson, or it might be Geoffrey.

He tends to go overboard in talking about all of therapy being defunct and contradicts himself because he actually highlights alternativews forms therapy can take which could potentially relieve the problem within modern therapy. He basically criticises the private and state versions of therapy in which power relations exist inherently within the relationship bcause a client either pays for it or because the state sanctions it in accordance with its own interests. The book looks at some of the major theorists like Freud and Juing and highlights their own abuses of their positions as therapists. Some of which are very frightening.

But overall its too simplistic to dismiss therapy. Like every other human endeavour it boils down to human judgement. Therapy is about a relatinoship between the people invovled, therapists try to give it some other aspects to try and reinforce their status as professionals, and I think he does very well to debunk this idea. But that doesn't mean that therapy isn't a worthwhile thing as it can take place under other circumstances.

I see a jungian therapist and I'm finding it very constructive. Therapy has come a long way since the days of Freud and Perls and such abuses as moral insanity.

You just have to find the right therapist for you.

Anna Blaine [annacblaine]27 January 2004 04:05 Subject: Re: Re: new bookWhat's the name of the author again?Love,Anna>EBbrewpunx > >Re: Re: new book>Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:01:40 EST>>In a message dated 1/26/04 12:53:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,>annacblaine writes:> >> >> > "Against Therapy"? What's that about? I've been in psychotherapy a >third of> >> > my life and it seems my condition is only getting worse.> >> his premise in the book is that modern therapy is corrupted and>wrongheaded..as the treatment follows the interests of the therapist, and >not the>patient...._______________There are now three new levels of MSN Hotmail Extra Storage! Learn more. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us & page=hotmail/es2 & ST=1To send an email to -

Does anyone watch Frasier? I love the characters - Frasier a Freudian and Niles a Jungian.

Jo

He tends to go overboard in talking about all of therapy being defunct and contradicts himself because he actually highlights alternativews forms therapy can take which could potentially relieve the problem within modern therapy. He basically criticises the private and state versions of therapy in which power relations exist inherently within the relationship bcause a client either pays for it or because the state sanctions it in accordance with its own interests. The book looks at some of the major theorists like Freud and Juing and highlights their own abuses of their positions as therapists. Some of which are very frightening.

But overall its too simplistic to dismiss therapy. Like every other human endeavour it boils down to human judgement. Therapy is about a relatinoship between the people invovled, therapists try to give it some other aspects to try and reinforce their status as professionals, and I think he does very well to debunk this idea. But that doesn't mean that therapy isn't a worthwhile thing as it can take place under other circumstances.

I see a jungian therapist and I'm finding it very constructive. Therapy has come a long way since the days of Freud and Perls and such abuses as moral insanity.

Anna Blaine [annacblaine]27 January 2004 04:05 Subject: Re: Re: new bookWhat's the name of the author again?Love,Anna>EBbrewpunx > >Re: Re: new book>Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:01:40 EST>>In a message dated 1/26/04 12:53:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,>annacblaine writes:> >> >> > "Against Therapy"? What's that about? I've been in psychotherapy a >third of> >> > my life and it seems my condition is only getting worse.> >> his premise in the book is that modern therapy is corrupted and>wrongheaded..as the treatment follows the interests of the therapist, and >not the>patient...._______________There are now three new levels of MSN Hotmail Extra Storage! Learn more. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us & page=hotmail/es2 & ST=1To send an email to -

hi jo

yes i love fraser.......it just illustrates that may be the best healer is a "wounded healer"....in other words, my therapist may be as screwed up as i am...if not more...... fraser and niles are as neurotic as hell, ha ha

catherine

>"Heartwork"

> >

>Re: Re: new book >Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:30:02 -0000 > >Does anyone watch Frasier? I love the characters - Frasier a Freudian and Niles a Jungian. > >Jo > > > The Author is Jeffrey Masson, or it might be Geoffrey. > He tends to go overboard in talking about all of therapy being defunct and contradicts himself because he actually highlights alternativews forms therapy can take which could potentially relieve the problem within modern therapy. He basically criticises the private and state versions of therapy in which power relations exist inherently within the relationship bcause a client either pays for it or because the state sanctions it in accordance with its own interests. The book looks at some of the major theorists like Freud and Juing and highlights their own abuses of their positions as therapists. Some of which are very frightening. > > But overall its too simplistic to dismiss therapy. Like every other human endeavour it boils down to human judgement. Therapy is about a relatinoship between the people invovled, therapists try to give it some other aspects to try and reinforce their status as professionals, and I think he does very well to debunk this idea. But that doesn't mean that therapy isn't a worthwhile thing as it can take place under other circumstances. > > I see a jungian therapist and I'm finding it very constructive. Therapy has come a long way since the days of Freud and Perls and such abuses as moral insanity. > You just have to find the right therapist for you. > > Anna Blaine [annacblaine] > 27 January 2004 04:05 > > Re: Re: new book > > > What's the name of the author again? > > Love, > Anna > > > >EBbrewpunx > > > > > >Re: Re: new book > >Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:01:40 EST > > > >In a message dated 1/26/04 12:53:34 PM Pacific Standard Time, > >annacblaine writes: > > > > > > > > > "Against Therapy"? What's that about? I've been in psychotherapy a > >third of > > > > > > my life and it seems my condition is only getting worse. > > > > > his premise in the book is that modern therapy is corrupted and > >wrongheaded..as the treatment follows the interests of the therapist, and > >not the > >patient.... > > _______________ > There are now three new levels of MSN Hotmail Extra Storage! Learn more. > http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us & page=hotmail/es2 & ST=1 > > > > To send an email to - > > > >---------- >

heh I didn't know Niles was a jungian, excellent...

Heartwork [Heartwork]27 January 2004 17:30 Subject: Re: Re: new book

Does anyone watch Frasier? I love the characters - Frasier a Freudian and Niles a Jungian.

Jo

Yes ... though one thing I don't like is the mention

of " scambled eggs " in the theme song.

Also I am starting to turn off progammes/films that show

people eating meat as it's likely the meat industry has

financed it.

Simon

Does anyone watch Frasier? I love the characters - Frasier a

Freudian and Niles a Jungian.

are you being serious?

simonpjones [simonpjones]28 January 2004 11:34 Subject: Re: Re: new bookYes ... though one thing I don't like is the mention of "scambled eggs" in the theme song.Also I am starting to turn off progammes/films that show people eating meat as it's likely the meat industry has financed it.Simon Does anyone watch Frasier? I love the characters - Frasier a Freudian and Niles a Jungian. To send an email to -

Yes.. very serious...another are war films that are likely financed by goverments to show war to be a glamourous activity..smoking in films another reason for me to switch off or over. The just seems to be

I like these lyrics. Waking in this world

natures arms out held

for every boy and girl

together,

Hold on tight

through the day and night

on this spinning flight

forever

(Chorus)

Are you fighting in the sunshine,

turning our lives into a crime,

plotting in the moonlight,

re we all so blind,

La la la la la la la la

etc.

Why go to war,

our lives are worth much more,

than being rich or poor

together,

You say you must defend

until the very end

but to the grave you send

...your brother

your mother.

Got carried away there.

Simon

Wednesday, January 28, 2004 12:10 PM

RE: Re: new book

are you being serious?

simonpjones [simonpjones]28 January 2004 11:34 Subject: Re: Re: new bookYes ... though one thing I don't like is the mention of "scambled eggs" in the theme song.Also I am starting to turn off progammes/films that show people eating meat as it's likely the meat industry has financed it.Simon Does anyone watch Frasier? I love the characters - Frasier a Freudian and Niles a Jungian. To send an email to -

Hi again, I was only trying to see if anyone had read this book, now we are on

to trick cyclists......oh my.

Any how, sorry to hear that there are people on here that need therapy, hope

no-one gets addicted or it gets " trendy " as in the states, you wonder how we

ever managed without them until the 19th century....ish?!?!

I wonder wheteher any of these shrinks think that there is any problem with

veganism? or if there are any vegan practices out there. Ah well at the risk of

alienating myself any more ....back to my toys............yes you got

it.......in my attic..........

The Valley Vegan........just kidding.love and peace and positive thoughts to you

all....

>

Peter H

--------------------

I`m only against his god awful voice not the actual lyrics.

The Valley Vegan....

Yes ... though one thing I don't like is the mention

of " scambled eggs " in the theme song.

Also I am starting to turn off progammes/films that show

people eating meat as it's likely the meat industry has

financed it.

Simon

Does anyone watch Frasier? I love the characters - Frasier a

Freudian and Niles a Jungian.

>

Peter H

--------------------

Me too! You'd think he'd try to find a key - any key.....

Jo

> I`m only against his god awful voice not the actual lyrics.

> The Valley Vegan....

> Yes ... though one thing I don't like is the mention

> of " scambled eggs " in the theme song.

> Also I am starting to turn off progammes/films that show

> people eating meat as it's likely the meat industry has

> financed it.

Maybe he should spent some time in a valley to practice.

-

<swpgh01

Saturday, January 31, 2004 4:12 PM

Re: Re: new book

>

> I`m only against his god awful voice not the actual lyrics.

> The Valley Vegan....

> Yes ... though one thing I don't like is the mention

> of " scambled eggs " in the theme song.

> Also I am starting to turn off progammes/films that show

> people eating meat as it's likely the meat industry has

> financed it.

>

> Simon

>

> Does anyone watch Frasier? I love the characters - Frasier a

> Freudian and Niles a Jungian.

>

>

> >

>

> Peter H

>

> --------------------

> talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

I still think the mention of scamble eggs( in a good light) is much like

talking of scambled babies or something similiar.

-

" Heartwork " <Heartwork

Saturday, January 31, 2004 5:38 PM

> Me too! You'd think he'd try to find a key - any key.....

>

> Jo

>

> > I`m only against his god awful voice not the actual lyrics.

> > The Valley Vegan....

>

> > Yes ... though one thing I don't like is the mention

> > of " scambled eggs " in the theme song.

> > Also I am starting to turn off progammes/films that show

> > people eating meat as it's likely the meat industry has

> > financed it.

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

I had a vegan therapist for a while when I lived in Sacramento. She worked

for Kaiser. Kaiser sucks for the mentally ill.

Love,

Anna

>swpgh01

>

>

>Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:06:55 GMT+00:00

>

>

>Hi again, I was only trying to see if anyone had read this book, now we are

>on to trick cyclists......oh my.

>Any how, sorry to hear that there are people on here that need therapy,

>hope no-one gets addicted or it gets " trendy " as in the states, you wonder

>how we ever managed without them until the 19th century....ish?!?!

>I wonder wheteher any of these shrinks think that there is any problem with

>veganism? or if there are any vegan practices out there. Ah well at the

>risk of alienating myself any more ....back to my toys............yes you

>got it.......in my attic..........

>The Valley Vegan........just kidding.love and peace and positive thoughts

>to you all....

> >

>

>Peter H

>

>--------------------

>talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

>http://www.talk21.com

>

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max!

http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us & page=byoa/plus & ST=1

I used to work as a counselor at a group home for adolescent boys with ADHD.

The kids gave me no end of grief about my eating habits. They often ate

scrambled eggs for breakfast and one particularly raucous morning I told

them to be quiet and eat their chicken fetuses. Half of them made faces and

one refused to eat any more eggs. I got a little less crap from them after

that.

Love,

Anna

> " simonpjones " <simonpjones

>

>

>Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:10:49 -0000

>

>I still think the mention of scamble eggs( in a good light) is much like

>talking of scambled babies or something similiar.

>

>-

> " Heartwork " <Heartwork

>

>Saturday, January 31, 2004 5:38 PM

>

>

> > Me too! You'd think he'd try to find a key - any key.....

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > > I`m only against his god awful voice not the actual lyrics.

> > > The Valley Vegan....

> >

> > > Yes ... though one thing I don't like is the mention

> > > of " scambled eggs " in the theme song.

> > > Also I am starting to turn off progammes/films that show

> > > people eating meat as it's likely the meat industry has

> > > financed it.

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

> >

-

" Anna Blaine " <annacblaine

Sunday, February 01, 2004 3:54 AM

> I used to work as a counselor at a group home for adolescent boys with

ADHD.

> The kids gave me no end of grief about my eating habits. They often ate

> scrambled eggs for breakfast and one particularly raucous morning I told

> them to be quiet and eat their chicken fetuses. Half of them made faces

and

> one refused to eat any more eggs. I got a little less crap from them

after

> that.>

Sounds like a little reverse psychology there..telling them to do the awful

deed, but also reminding them of what it is they are eating.

Maybe ppl should at every opportunity inform kids it is slaughtered animal

flesh etc they are eating>

Simon

>

>

> > " simonpjones " <simonpjones

> >

> >

> >Re: Re: new book

> >Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:10:49 -0000

> >

> >I still think the mention of scamble eggs( in a good light) is much like

> >talking of scambled babies or something similiar.

> >

> >-

> > " Heartwork " <Heartwork

> >

> >Saturday, January 31, 2004 5:38 PM

> >

> >

> > > Me too! You'd think he'd try to find a key - any key.....

> > >

> > > Jo

> > >

> > > > I`m only against his god awful voice not the actual lyrics.

> > > > The Valley Vegan....

> > >

> > > > Yes ... though one thing I don't like is the mention

> > > > of " scambled eggs " in the theme song.

> > > > Also I am starting to turn off progammes/films that show

> > > > people eating meat as it's likely the meat industry has

> > > > financed it.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > To send an email to -

> > >

> > >

lol, way to go!! even though i've always loved animals, i would eat them not

even thinking of the torture that went on, but when i found out (after i was

already just vegetarian for health purposes) i went vegan right away. i wish

there was like a required class you'd have to take in school and college so

ppl would know more about this stuff

sheila

> " simonpjones " <simonpjones

>

>

>Sun, 1 Feb 2004 12:59:16 -0000

>

>

>-

> " Anna Blaine " <annacblaine

>

>Sunday, February 01, 2004 3:54 AM

>

>

> > I used to work as a counselor at a group home for adolescent boys with

>ADHD.

> > The kids gave me no end of grief about my eating habits. They often

>ate

> > scrambled eggs for breakfast and one particularly raucous morning I told

> > them to be quiet and eat their chicken fetuses. Half of them made faces

>and

> > one refused to eat any more eggs. I got a little less crap from them

>after

> > that.>

>

>Sounds like a little reverse psychology there..telling them to do the awful

>deed, but also reminding them of what it is they are eating.

>Maybe ppl should at every opportunity inform kids it is slaughtered animal

>flesh etc they are eating>

>

>Simon

>

>

>

> >

> >

> > > " simonpjones " <simonpjones

> > >

> > >

> > >Re: Re: new book

> > >Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:10:49 -0000

> > >

> > >I still think the mention of scamble eggs( in a good light) is much

>like

> > >talking of scambled babies or something similiar.

> > >

> > >-

> > > " Heartwork " <Heartwork

> > >

> > >Saturday, January 31, 2004 5:38 PM

> > >Re: Re: new book

> > >

> > >

> > > > Me too! You'd think he'd try to find a key - any key.....

> > > >

> > > > Jo

> > > >

> > > > > I`m only against his god awful voice not the actual lyrics.

> > > > > The Valley Vegan....

> > > >

> > > > > Yes ... though one thing I don't like is the mention

> > > > > of " scambled eggs " in the theme song.

> > > > > Also I am starting to turn off progammes/films that show

> > > > > people eating meat as it's likely the meat industry has

> > > > > financed it.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > To send an email to

>-

> > > >

> > > >

-

" Vegan Kitten " <bluefootedferret

Monday, February 02, 2004 8:29 PM

> lol, way to go!! even though i've always loved animals, i would eat them

not

> even thinking of the torture that went on, but when i found out (after i

was

> already just vegetarian for health purposes) i went vegan right away. i

wish

> there was like a required class you'd have to take in school and college

so

> ppl would know more about this stuff>

Hi Yes if classes did exist in the way you've discribed.

in time there would be no need for them as they would eventually turn

everyone at least vegetarian.

It looks like we'll have to treat the whole world as the class room for now.

Cheers

Simon

>

> > " simonpjones " <simonpjones

> >

> >

> >Sun, 1 Feb 2004 12:59:16 -0000

> >

> >

> >-

> > " Anna Blaine " <annacblaine

> >

> >Sunday, February 01, 2004 3:54 AM

> >

> >

> > > I used to work as a counselor at a group home for adolescent boys with

> >ADHD.

> > > The kids gave me no end of grief about my eating habits. They often

> >ate

> > > scrambled eggs for breakfast and one particularly raucous morning I

told

> > > them to be quiet and eat their chicken fetuses. Half of them made

faces

> >and

> > > one refused to eat any more eggs. I got a little less crap from them

> >after

> > > that.>

> >

> >Sounds like a little reverse psychology there..telling them to do the

awful

> >deed, but also reminding them of what it is they are eating.

> >Maybe ppl should at every opportunity inform kids it is slaughtered

animal

> >flesh etc they are eating>

> >

> >Simon

> >

> >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > > > " simonpjones " <simonpjones

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >Re: Re: new book

> > > >Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:10:49 -0000

> > > >

> > > >I still think the mention of scamble eggs( in a good light) is much

> >like

> > > >talking of scambled babies or something similiar.

> > > >

> > > >-

> > > > " Heartwork " <Heartwork

> > > >

> > > >Saturday, January 31, 2004 5:38 PM

> > > >Re: Re: new book

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > > Me too! You'd think he'd try to find a key - any key.....

> > > > >

> > > > > Jo

> > > > >

> > > > > > I`m only against his god awful voice not the actual lyrics.

> > > > > > The Valley Vegan....

> > > > >

> > > > > > Yes ... though one thing I don't like is the mention

> > > > > > of " scambled eggs " in the theme song.

> > > > > > Also I am starting to turn off progammes/films that show

> > > > > > people eating meat as it's likely the meat industry has

> > > > > > financed it.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > To send an email to

> >-

> > > > >

> > > > >