Guest guest

In a stressful time of need where clean food,

much less good food is scarce, there are still disturbing perspectives in the

media.

~Sunyatta

Two residents wade through chest-deep water after finding bread and soda from a

local grocery store after Hurricane Katrina came

through the area in New Orleans,

Louisiana.(AFP/Getty Images/Chris Graythen)

A young man walks through chest deep flood water

after looting a grocery store

in New Orleans

on Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2005. Flood waters continue to rise in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina did

extensive damage when it made landfall on Monday. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)

I know that this is off topic, but I couldn't sleep last night as a

result of the disturbing images and news that I was hearing in

regards to the situation in New Orleans.

In my opinion, the lack of response to New Orleans (and Mississippi)

boils down to 2 maybe 3 factors: 1. Politics 2. Race and 3.

Class.

I really believe that the Feds are not responding to the needs of

Louisiana because the governor, one of the senators, and mayor are

democrats. The republican national leadership wants the democratic

Louisiana leadership to fail so that republicans can gain local,

state, and federal seats. The campaign has already started. I've

heard several " conservative " talk show hosts insisting that federal

relief has not been sent to Louisiana because there is a law stating

that the mayor and governor must ask for the relief first, implying

that they haven't. They are continuously pointing to the failure of

leadership in Louisiana without holding the Feds accountable for its

part. One journalist even browbeated Governor Blanco about whether

and when she'd taken the time to ask the Federal government for

military troops! Since when has our leadership been concerned about

following/ breaking laws when it comes to deploying? Seems to me, if

they want to send troops, they find a way to do it. . .

Next, I believe that the national leadership knows that it can get

away with allowing the failure to occur because the victims are

largely black and poor. The media has already demonized the storm

victims by concentrating on the violence and continuously referring

to the acquisition of food, water, and clothes as looting. Envision

this: In a caring world, the Wal-Mart executives would have opened

up their stores to the victims, allowing them to acquire the food,

toiletries, clothing, diapers and items needed in order to maintain a

dignified existence -- at least until more help was on its way.

Better yet, Federal relief personnel would have been lined up waiting

to enter the storm zone AS SOON AS the storm passed. Afterall, it's

not like we didn't know the storm was coming.

Finally, I've heard some interesting comments from storm victims that

could make one draw some disturbing conclusions:

1. A white male tourist commented that after being stuck in New

Orleans during the storm, a group of tourists found a way to charter

a convoy of buses from other states to transport them out of New

Orleans. Just before arriving in New Orleans, the military

commandeered the buses and refused the tourists passage.

2. Interestingly enough, my colleague and his wife were also stuck

in New Orleans until Sunday evening. They were there celebrating

their wedding anniversay. His wife, another couple, and he finally

found a taxi driver who would transport them to Atlanta for $1000.

At any rate, I asked him what was the situation with the rental cars

and Greyhound buses. He said that the rental car companies closed

and that the Greyhound buses were commandeered by the military.

(Confirmation from a completely different source.)

3. News reporters on the ground across from a military base in

Louisiana reported seeing troops playing basketball while relief

efforts were supposedly underway.

4. Doctors in hospitals reported that Louisiana National Guard

troops would sporadically appear and disappear. They never stayed

around long enough to provide any real protection.

5. The so-called shots being fired at relief personell were

committed by a lone person who was also shooting at storm victims.

I will spare you my rambling, but the whole response to this tragedy

is utterly appalling and disgusting. It shows the level that so-

called leaders will stoop to for personal gain. Then again, at least

they are consistent.

, " dr. sunyatta amen "

<dr.sunyatta@v...> wrote:

> In a stressful time of need where clean food, much less good food

is scarce,

> there are still disturbing perspectives in the media.

>

> ~Sunyatta

>

>

>

> Photo

>

<http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20050830/capt.sge.cyn78

> 5074130.photo01.photo.default-268x384.jpg?

x=240 & y=345 & sig=XFVzW6oiTkp9hr7J.e

> x3Qw--> Two residents wade through chest-deep water after finding

bread and

> soda from a local grocery store after Hurricane Katrina came

through the

> area in New Orleans, Louisiana.(AFP/Getty Images/Chris Graythen)

>

> Photo

>

<http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050830/capt.ladm102083

> hurricane_katrina_ladm102.jpg?

x=380 & y=242 & sig=GHO9i4_aeNXEsJOv2t1OHg--> A

> young man walks through chest deep flood water after looting a

grocery store

> in New Orleans on Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2005. Flood waters continue to

rise in

> New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina did extensive damage when it

made

> landfall on Monday. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)

I'm not sure what you mean that the Gov't hasn't responded??? I just spoke with a women yesterday whose husband was deployed down there at the beginning of this week. The gov't needed the buses to help transport the injured and elderly, etc. How can you make that a BAD thing??? As for playing basketball, for heavens sake, people need a bit of a break after hour upon hour of work, why do we need to interpret these things negatively? I know of all kinds of humanitarian groups who are involved. It is one of the biggest disasters of all time and it will take probably more than a year to recover. We are all human and make mistakes and it will take a huge effort to coordinate the activity, people are doing their best, let's not make it worse by throwing judgment on the gov't. People care about people - give them a chance for risking their lives to help these folks! I'm not sure what you expect? It's all in your perception and I think you are just assuming the worst of people. I have seen so much love going out to try and help and you seem to be squashing it all. Sorry to be harsh, but I'm just amazed at your negative interpretation. I know people down there who are doing all they can with their churches to try and help and they really don't care if the person suffering is black or white, republican or democrat!!

Nancy

On Behalf Of DominiqueFriday, September 02, 2005 11:18 AM Subject: Re: FW: what is wrong with these captions?

I know that this is off topic, but I couldn't sleep last night as a result of the disturbing images and news that I was hearing in regards to the situation in New Orleans.In my opinion, the lack of response to New Orleans (and Mississippi) boils down to 2 maybe 3 factors: 1. Politics 2. Race and 3. Class.I really believe that the Feds are not responding to the needs of Louisiana because the governor, one of the senators, and mayor are democrats. The republican national leadership wants the democratic Louisiana leadership to fail so that republicans can gain local, state, and federal seats. The campaign has already started. I've heard several "conservative" talk show hosts insisting that federal relief has not been sent to Louisiana because there is a law stating that the mayor and governor must ask for the relief first, implying that they haven't. They are continuously pointing to the failure of leadership in Louisiana without holding the Feds accountable for its part. One journalist even browbeated Governor Blanco about whether and when she'd taken the time to ask the Federal government for military troops! Since when has our leadership been concerned about following/ breaking laws when it comes to deploying? Seems to me, if they want to send troops, they find a way to do it. . .Next, I believe that the national leadership knows that it can get away with allowing the failure to occur because the victims are largely black and poor. The media has already demonized the storm victims by concentrating on the violence and continuously referring to the acquisition of food, water, and clothes as looting. Envision this: In a caring world, the Wal-Mart executives would have opened up their stores to the victims, allowing them to acquire the food, toiletries, clothing, diapers and items needed in order to maintain a dignified existence -- at least until more help was on its way. Better yet, Federal relief personnel would have been lined up waiting to enter the storm zone AS SOON AS the storm passed. Afterall, it's not like we didn't know the storm was coming.Finally, I've heard some interesting comments from storm victims that could make one draw some disturbing conclusions:1. A white male tourist commented that after being stuck in New Orleans during the storm, a group of tourists found a way to charter a convoy of buses from other states to transport them out of New Orleans. Just before arriving in New Orleans, the military commandeered the buses and refused the tourists passage.2. Interestingly enough, my colleague and his wife were also stuck in New Orleans until Sunday evening. They were there celebrating their wedding anniversay. His wife, another couple, and he finally found a taxi driver who would transport them to Atlanta for $1000. At any rate, I asked him what was the situation with the rental cars and Greyhound buses. He said that the rental car companies closed and that the Greyhound buses were commandeered by the military. (Confirmation from a completely different source.)3. News reporters on the ground across from a military base in Louisiana reported seeing troops playing basketball while relief efforts were supposedly underway.4. Doctors in hospitals reported that Louisiana National Guard troops would sporadically appear and disappear. They never stayed around long enough to provide any real protection.5. The so-called shots being fired at relief personell were committed by a lone person who was also shooting at storm victims.I will spare you my rambling, but the whole response to this tragedy is utterly appalling and disgusting. It shows the level that so-called leaders will stoop to for personal gain. Then again, at least they are consistent. , "dr. sunyatta amen" <dr.sunyatta@v...> wrote:> In a stressful time of need where clean food, much less good food is scarce,> there are still disturbing perspectives in the media.> > ~Sunyatta> > > > Photo> <http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20050830/capt.sge.cyn78.30080> 5074130.photo01.photo.default-268x384.jpg?x=240 & y=345 & sig=XFVzW6oiTkp9hr7J.e> x3Qw--> Two residents wade through chest-deep water after finding bread and> soda from a local grocery store after Hurricane Katrina came through the> area in New Orleans, Louisiana.(AFP/Getty Images/Chris Graythen) > > Photo> <http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050830/capt.ladm10208301530.> hurricane_katrina_ladm102.jpg?x=380 & y=242 & sig=GHO9i4_aeNXEsJOv2t1OHg--> A> young man walks through chest deep flood water after looting a grocery store> in New Orleans on Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2005. Flood waters continue to rise in> New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina did extensive damage when it made> landfall on Monday. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)