IndiaDivine.org

Baby dies with Raw Food Diet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It would seem to me that the baby would not be on raw foods ,but on breast milk. That would seem like what a baby would be doing . So this gets very strange. They are on trail for killing the baby. But now because they are live foodist it turns into another an argument about their diet !

May The Love Of God Prevail

Lynda

I saw a TV interview with the lawyer. He said that the parents never took the baby to a doctor. LESS THAN 7 POUNDS AT SIX MONTHS OLD? How could anyone not know that something was WRONG! I'm not talking about the diet! I mean, the seven pounds means SOMETHING is wrong!"theyabbapot" <theyabbapot wrote:

Baby's diet focus of trialThe trial is set to begin for Joseph and Lamoy Andressohn, accused of starving their infant daughter to death with a raw foods diet.BY DAVID OVALLEdovalleFrom: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/12920885.htm

A Miami-Dade prosecutor will argue this week that a Homestead couple d to a bizarre lifestyle that included forced enemas and a dangerous diet of uncooked foods that starved their baby girl to death

" ...a bizarre lifestyle that included forced enemas and a dangerous diet of uncooked foods... "

Whoever wrote this is nutritionally illiterate!!!

On 10/24/05, satvicvegan <satvicvegan wrote:

I saw a TV interview with the lawyer. He said that the parents never took the baby to a doctor. LESS THAN 7 POUNDS AT SIX MONTHS OLD? How could anyone not know that something was WRONG! I'm not talking about the diet! I mean, the seven pounds means SOMETHING is wrong!

" theyabbapot " <

theyabbapot wrote:

Baby's diet focus of trialThe trial is set to begin for Joseph and Lamoy Andressohn, accused of starving their infant daughter to death with a raw foods diet.

BY DAVID OVALLEdovalle

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/12920885.htm

A Miami-Dade prosecutor will argue this week that a Homestead couple d to a bizarre lifestyle that included forced enemas and a dangerous diet of uncooked foods that starved their baby girl to death

While, it is important to not let others frame the discussion for us,

unfortunately, the prosecutor is putting the " raw lifestyle " on trial

due to his own ignorance or fear (or both). Too many children cared

for by SAD eaters are nutritionally neglected, but we never attribute

this neglect to the SAD lifestyle.

I hope the truth emerges as to the real cause of this baby's plight.

In the meantime, I can't possibly become hyper-defensive by going on

the offensive against the parents. Apparently their defense is that

the baby had a disease or birth defect that caused the baby's demise

and subsequent death. Whether or not this is true can only be

determined once all of the facts are on the table.

I can say that people who parent outside the mainstream are often

demonized and made to seem deranged when anything bad does happen to

their child(ren). I'm sure that there are those who would have a few

choice criticisms for my parenting as well: a mother who does not

vaccinate, does not run to the doctor everytime her child has a fever,

and still allows her 4 year-old to nurse every once in a while. As

long as my daughter is thriving, I'm sure that I will be able to parent

in peace, but Lord help me if anything otherwise should happen.

, satvicvegan <satvicvegan> wrote:

>

> I saw a TV interview with the lawyer. He said that the parents never

took the baby to a doctor. LESS THAN 7 POUNDS AT SIX MONTHS OLD? How

could anyone not know that something was WRONG! I'm not talking about

the diet! I mean, the seven pounds means SOMETHING is wrong!

>

> " theyabbapot@e... " <theyabbapot@e...> wrote:

> Baby's diet focus of trial

> The trial is set to begin for Joseph and Lamoy Andressohn, accused of

starving their infant daughter to death with a raw foods diet.

> BY DAVID OVALLE

> dovalle@h...

> http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/12920885.htm

>

> A Miami-Dade prosecutor will argue this week that a Homestead couple

d to a bizarre lifestyle that included forced enemas and a

dangerous diet of uncooked foods that starved their baby girl to death.

>

Maybe they were worried they would blame it on the diet and take the kids away.

Tarasatvicvegan <satvicvegan wrote:

I saw a TV interview with the lawyer. He said that the parents never took the baby to a doctor. LESS THAN 7 POUNDS AT SIX MONTHS OLD? How could anyone not know that something was WRONG! I'm not talking about the diet! I mean, the seven pounds means SOMETHING is wrong!"theyabbapot" <theyabbapot wrote:

Baby's diet focus of trialThe trial is set to begin for Joseph and Lamoy Andressohn, accused of starving their infant daughter to death with a raw foods diet.BY DAVID OVALLEdovalleFrom: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/12920885.htm

Hugs from MD

Tara

proud mom of three great kids

Sara 9, Joey 7, and Skylar 5

FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

I am a raw foods enthusiast! My own baby consumed breast milk (only) for the first five months and then ate bananas and avocados until the age of (I don't remember how many months) and then organic carrot juice and, when she got some teeth, raw fruits and veggies in addition to breast milk. But, had she been seriously underweight I would have known that something was seriously wrong (not the diet -- I mean medically wrong)! NOT seeking help is child neglect.Tara <peechysweett71 wrote:

Maybe they were worried they would blame it on the diet and take the kids away.

Hugs from MD

Tara

Lynda, I was thinking the same thing. Why was a 6-month-old on raw food? It should be breast milk.Namaska7 wrote:

It would seem to me that the baby would not be on raw foods ,but on breast milk. That would seem like what a baby would be doing . So this gets very strange. They are on trail for killing the baby. But now because they are live foodist it turns into another an argument about their diet !

May The Love Of God Prevail

Lynda

The biggest problem that I see today is the lack of family. When I brought my first child home as a young mother I was given guidance from my Mother and a Grandmother that served as the community elder. I very often left the baby with these women. The same thing with my son. Whenever there was a question I would ask Grandma White. She had raised five son's so she had the information on children. Grandma Porter gave me the same information that I later paid the Doctor $50.00 for. She had a third grade education! However, she has experience with children

I thought I would mention this because there are a lot of young mothers on this site. Just because many of our older relatives are not following our dietary regime does not mean that we shouldn't respect their knowledge. If the family in Florida had an elder sister in there camp they may have saved the life of the baby.

Peace & Blessings ,

Lynda

I know, and it was their 5th kid, so they cant say, they didnt know how to raise a baby. For the baby to weigh less at 6 months then at BIRTH, of course they are going to have a witch hunt.

I am a raw foods enthusiast! My own baby consumed breast milk (only) for the first five months and then ate bananas and avocados until the age of (I don't remember how many months) and then organic carrot juice and, when she got some teeth, raw fruits and veggies in addition to breast milk. But, had she been seriously underweight I would have known that something was seriously wrong (not the diet -- I mean medically wrong)! NOT seeking help is child neglect.

If you read the original story at the website that I believe Margie posted, this child had other health issues. If I remember correctly the child had been seen by doctors. This has been going on for over two years now, so I have to think back. At any rate the facts are getting contaminated.

The government is really going after these folks because of their life style choice which is the main reason we should be supportive. Not with our tongues but actual support, dollar bills y' all

Lynda

Very good comment Lynda. I wonder, during those 6 months, if anyone else noticed the baby being so small. Im a woman of action and if I see a child in need, in the past I have done what I could to help.

TaraNamaska7 wrote:

The biggest problem that I see today is the lack of family. When I brought my first child home as a young mother I was given guidance from my Mother and a Grandmother that served as the community elder. I very often left the baby with these women. The same thing with my son. Whenever there was a question I would ask Grandma White. She had raised five son's so she had the information on children. Grandma Porter gave me the same information that I later paid the Doctor $50.00 for. She had a third grade education! However, she has experience with children

I thought I would mention this because there are a lot of young mothers on this site. Just because many of our older relatives are not following our dietary regime does not mean that we shouldn't respect their knowledge. If the family in Florida had an elder sister in there camp they may have saved the life of the baby.

Peace & Blessings ,

Lynda

Hugs from MD

Tara

The one point that stands out in my mind is this:

We don't know the facts. We only know what the media wants us to

know, which may not be factual at all.

All we know is that a baby is dead, and the parents are self-

proclaimed raw foodists. (What you say and what you do are two

separate things.)

When people parent or do anything outside of the mainstream, they

tend to be demonized and made to look insane when something goes

wrong. Governments, government agencies, and specifically

prosecutors often times have agendas that don't equate to seeking

justice. I've witnessed this time and time again.

I will remain non-judgemental of these parents in the absence of not

knowing the true facts surrounding the baby's demise. If it turns

out that they were negligent, then they should be punished. I

exclusively breastfed my daugther for 9 months and continued

breastfeeding pass 3 years of age. However, if the parents were

feeding the baby raw foods at 6 months, I don't see how this is any

worse than SAD eaters who bottle feed from birth and give their 4

month-olds cooked foods including meat! Unfortunately, pediatricians

advise the introduction of table foods at 4 months of age.

Finally, given the attacks that a raw food lifestyle undergoes, a

first reaction may be to want to distance one's self from such a

negative situation by pointing out all of the things the parents did

wrong. I'm just saying, how do we know that they didn't do those

things? Or. . .maybe the parents have some explanation that seemed

logical to them at the time. . .We don't know. . .We just don't

know. . .and should just be suspicous of any information that comes

from any mainstream media outlet.

, satvicvegan <satvicvegan> wrote:

>

> I am a raw foods enthusiast! My own baby consumed breast milk

(only) for the first five months and then ate bananas and avocados

until the age of (I don't remember how many months) and then organic

carrot juice and, when she got some teeth, raw fruits and veggies in

addition to breast milk. But, had she been seriously underweight I

would have known that something was seriously wrong (not the diet --

I mean medically wrong)! NOT seeking help is child neglect.

>

Very good points. Im a Courttv.com junkie and read all the cases every day. This really is a fascinating case even if I wasnt a rawior.

TaraDominique <jetsetteratl1996 wrote:

The one point that stands out in my mind is this:We don't know the facts. We only know what the media wants us to know, which may not be factual at all.All we know is that a baby is dead, and the parents are self-proclaimed raw foodists. (What you say and what you do are two separate things.)

You have hit the nail on th head. What people say and do is so different. It may seem un kind to say but people do not walk their talk. The media is designed to control the people.

We as Live foodist are not favorites . This makes for our being rejected . People like to hit the under dog whenever they can . Which puts this family in a horrible situation; the baby dying is the worst nightmare .

lynda

• 2 months later...

A Miami-Dade prosecutor will argue this week that a Homestead couple d to a bizarre lifestyle that included forced enemas and a dangerous diet of uncooked foods that starved their baby girl to death.

The couple's colorful defense attorney plans to explain that 6-month-old Woyah Andressohn died from complications stemming from a genetic disorder -- not malnutrition.

The couple's young sons will testify against their own parents via closed-circuit television.

Prosecutors say they're too traumatized to face them in person.

The plot lines in Joseph and Lamoy Andressohn's trial, scheduled to begin Monday, will be as complex as they are tragic.

The Homestead couple is accused of child abuse and starving their baby girl to death.

The trial has drawn national attention. Court TV, the cable television network, plans live coverage.

The case first unfolded publicly in May 2003 when Woyah Andressohn -- 6 months old, weighing less than seven pounds, her skin stretched tightly over her protruding ribs -- was pronounced dead at Homestead Hospital.

The next month, Miami-Dade police charged the Andressohns with aggravated manslaughter and four counts of child neglect.

The Florida Department of Children & Families, which had received several complaints about the baby's care, was assailed for failing to prevent the death.

The Andressohns' four remaining children were taken into state custody, and sent to live with a relative.

''The parents violated that sacred trust and have caused the death of one of those children who was dependent on them,'' said Assistant State Attorney Herbert E. Walker III, himself a vegan.

Ellis Rubin, one of the couple's attorneys, says that Woyah's death was caused by a genetic disorder called DiGeorge syndrome.

His key witness is Dr. John Marraccini, the former Palm Beach County chief medical examiner.

He will argue that DiGeorge weakened Woyah's immune system, leaving her to die of pneumonia and esophageal reflux, caused when stomach acids back up into the esophagus.

''He's going to win this case for us,'' Rubin said.

Rubin says DiGeorge is to blame for Woyah's lack of a thymus gland.

The thymus is small organ in the chest that produces virus-fighting T-cells.

But prosecutors say she did have a thymus, but it had shrunken significantly because of malnutrition.

They point to a medical report issued in February that found T cells in the girl's spleen.

''Our evidence will show unequivocally that a person born without a thymus cannot produce T-cells,'' Walker said.

Rubin maintains that the presence of T-cells doesn't rule out DiGeorge.

Plenty of medical speak -- but the trial also will offer a glimpse into the often-controversial raw foods lifestyle.

Joseph and Lamoy Andressohn are followers of a movement that believes humans aren't meant to eat animal products.

They also believe that cooking diminishes the effectiveness of essential vitamins, minerals and enzymes.

But prosecutors will paint the family's diet of organic fruits, vegetables and nuts as dangerous.

Before she died, Woyah was fed a mix of wheat grass, coconut water and almond milk.

They say the four other children were malnourished, and Woyah was given ''detoxifying'' wheat-grass enemas.

In difficult-to-watch video interviews shown in court recently, two of the sons, then ages 4 and 6, described enemas given to their sister, stealing food and getting whipped with a belt for eating cooked foods -- even as Joseph Andressohn smoked and occasionally indulged in eating meat.

The jury won't be allowed to see the video but it will hear from the woman who interviewed the children.

To counter, the Andressohns' attorneys plan to offer a bevy of experts aimed at explaining the raw food diet.

''We are going to show that the diet was adequate and nutritional,'' Rubin said.

Peace begins in the kitchen!

The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not

made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women

for men."

--Alice Walker

You are not an African because you are born in Africa. You are an African because Africa is born in you.

-Marimba Ani