IndiaDivine.org

Sad News

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yep, he will be sorely missed, a man ahead of his time. For all those non UK members, take a minute to read this brief history of the man:

C Arthur Ling, 1919-2005

He was anti-war, egalitarian, and a supporter of "the common man". A lover of the outdoors he was an active Naturist.In 2001 Arthur was awarded the newly created Henry James Cook Award for "his life's work in the development and production of vegan foods especially for the introduction of the first plant-derived vegan milk in the United Kingdom". This was Arthur's most cherished award.

Arthur was not one for social norms, indulging in almost anti-establishment activities with unassuming relish from an early age. To his parent's horror, he became a vegan at the age of seven (in 1926 veganism was completely unheard of) when he witnessed a fish being killed at the seaside. He kept notes of a lecture given in 1938 titled "Health without dairy produce", which influenced him greatly. Arthur worked at the London Vegetarian Society, and after the Second World War became an active member of the new Vegan Society, created by Donald Watson in late 1944.

Arthur was involved in his first commercial project in the post war years. A company called Solflower Ltd, based in Wales, was created to produce biodeisel from Sunflowers. Unfortunately this project was 50 years ahead of its time and did not enjoy commercial success.

Arthur is known by most for his work at Plamil and the Vegan Society. From his association with the Vegan Society in the 1950's he joined a group interested in producing a non-dairy milk. Later Arthur attended a meeting called for by Leslie Cross, who later gave it the name, the Plantmilk Society. After tireless work by Arthur and Leslie this society eventually became Plantmilk Ltd, to which Arthur dedicated himself. (Many years later Plantmilk Ltd changed to Plamil Foods Ltd.) It produced in 1965 the first widely distributed Soya milk, a true achievement and again far ahead of its time. At retirement age in the 1980's, he continued to work actively for many years, being honored with a number of "lifetime" achievement awards. Whilst still participating in running the company he latterly and gradually dedicated himself more and more to research of the nutritional aspects of the vegan diet, his true love and passion.

Arthur Ling - Vegan Pioneer

A Trust in Arthur's name is being created to furthur his interest in vegan nutrition. Details are to be announced.

Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

It was sad to hear that Arthur Ling (Vegan Society) died recently.

JoTo send an email to - Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

• 10 months later...

Quintessence is at the original spot. I just spoke to Stanley Banks he was there eating last night . The two new stores did not do well so they had to close. Maybe we should do a trip up there and give some support. Just say when

Lynda

Greetings Members: Quintessence Restaurant & Catering of New York is now CLOSED but I'm told that they continue to operate on a smaller scale from another location in New York. I will keep you up dated.Good Health to You

Elaine

for Good - Make a difference this year.

Thanks, Elaine, for alerting us to this update. I'm very surprised and disappointed to learn they've closed as they seemed to be popular among people from all walks of life, whether raw foodists, vegans or common consumers of the SAD diet, along with a garden variety of celebrities, mostly vegan, such as Woody Harrelson & Carol Alt (albeit not vegetarian due to fish). I clicked onto their link & was further surprised to get this message:

There is no website configured at this address.

You are seeing this page because there is nothing configured for the site you have requested. If you think you are seeing this page in error, please contact the site administrator or datacenter responsible for this site.----

I've visited the Quintessence website in the past & never had a problem viewing their entire menu & details about their business. Having eaten their numerous times during my occasional visits to NYC as well as when I lived on Long Island most of my life, I can declare uninhibitedly they reign supreme in quality of cuisine and customer service; their honesty & integrity far surpasses virtually any other vegan restaurant I've ever patronized throughout Manhattan. I hope this isn't a long-term decision on their part & they'll soon return flying high above the detritus that comprises most NYC cuisine I've observed.

Namaste,

David

The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." --Alice Walker, Forward to "The Dreaded Comparison" by Marjorie Spiegel"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country."--Pres. Theodore Roosevelt, 1908

E. Rice-Fells <shortydemp Group Tue, 3 Jan 2006 07:49:11 -0800 (PST) Sad News

Greetings Members:

Quintessence Restaurant & Catering of New York is now CLOSED but I'm told that they continue to operate on a smaller scale from another location in New York. I will keep you up dated.

Good Health to You

Elaine

Try the New Netscape Mail Today!

Virtually Spam-Free | More Storage | Import Your Contact Listhttp://mail.netscape.com

are all the locations closed?

> " E. Rice-Fells " <shortydemp

>

> Group

> Sad News

>Tue, 3 Jan 2006 07:49:11 -0800 (PST)

>

>Greetings Members:

>

> Quintessence Restaurant & Catering of New York is now CLOSED but I'm

>told that they continue to operate on a smaller scale from another location

>in New York. I will keep you up dated.

>

>

>

>Good Health to You

>Elaine

>

>

>

> for Good - Make a difference this year.

Namaste Y'all,

Quintessence is not totally closed. They are planning on having the downtown

location open (the original Alphabet City spot) for desserts if not full meals.

Khepere and I

were in NY last week and went to several live spots. This is the info the

owner gave us.

Jubb's Longevity is also very nearby that location if you need a fix. great food

(no seating though).

Supporting folks who provide services (hey, take a ride up, over, whatever) sure

helps.

~Sunyatta

www.vegsoul.com <http://www.vegsoul.com/>

www.GoMamaSita.com <http://www.gomamasita.com/>

_____