IndiaDivine.org

Vegetarian Summerfest/Houses available

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

2 Pertinent Issues of the Day:

If anyone on this list, or anyone else you know in the DC or Baltimore vicinity, besides myself, will be attending the Vegetarian Summerfest in Johnstown, PA, next month, you can carpool with me from Owings Mills, MD. I'll be driving there with at least one other person from Baltimore for the weekend package from Friday, July 7 thru Sunday, July 9. I've heard from various recent attendees that NAVS has dramatically improved their selection of raw food dishes over the past few years. I was there last time in 2001 as a quasi-raw foodist and was very underwhelmed by their monotonous salad bar. However, I've been told by other vegans, including Bob LeRoy (who I saw recently at a Blessed Raw Deal event), that Ken Bergeron (gourmet vegan chef) has been working with Chad Sarno (renowned gourmet raw vegan chef) to devise innovative options for raw foodists at the annual Summerfest and people like ourselves have been raving about the choices since this started. Please email me if you (or anyone else you know)plan to go for the weekend so we can carpool. I can comfortably fit 3 people in the back of my Honda Civic and there's ample trunk room if you don't overpack. I want to get there before dinner at 5 PM and make it to a few afternoon classes. The drive takes about 3.5 hours.

I'm not in the business of sales pitches, but you should know that two of my neighbors recently put their beautiful townhouses up for sale in New Town, Owings Mills, MD. If you or anyone else you know is looking for a relatively new house in Owings Mills, one of which has Soldiers Delight State Park just behind the backyard, please call either of the following 2 people and/or visit their homes directly. One of them also told me we can all have a huge potluck and block party if I get one or more of my friends to at least visit their homes for the ongoing open house. I have colorful flyers with gorgeous photos of the inside & outside of each house that I'll bring to the next few raw events for your perusal. This would also be a great way to heighten the influence of raw vegan philosophy in the New Town community, especially among my close-knit neighbors, by having group potlucks involving more than one home at a time.

Call one or both of the following:

Wolf Mueller, 443-250-8896 for an appointment.

9886 Bayline Circle

Owings Mills, MD 21117

Sale price: $289,900

Ryan, 443-394-6306

9885 Bayline Circle

Owings Mills, MD 21117

Price: $339,990 (directly in front of Soldiers Delight State Park, replete with deer, squirrels, mourning doves, orioles & various other wild fauna)

Tell them David referred you. Thanks heaps.

The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." --Alice Walker, Forward to "The Dreaded Comparison" by Marjorie Spiegel"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country."--Pres. Theodore Roosevelt, 1908

Try the New Netscape Mail Today!

Virtually Spam-Free | More Storage | Import Your Contact Listhttp://mail.netscape.com

Guest guest

A couple people from my household were contemplating going, but

hadn't heard from anyone who had ever been.

Do you recommend it, or is this your first time going?

Thanks! :)

Anny

410-900-0011

Pasadena, MD

Guest guest

I've been, it's nice, and it's gotten a lot more raw-friendly over the

years.

--

Marjorie Roswell

3443 Guilford Terrace

Baltimore, MD 21218

mroswell

410-467-3727

RawFoodWiki.org

50BushFlipFlops.org

BaltimoreVillage.org

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Anne Marie Sadler wrote:

> A couple people from my household were contemplating going, but

> hadn't heard from anyone who had ever been.

>

> Do you recommend it, or is this your first time going?

>

> Thanks! :)

> Anny

> 410-900-0011

> Pasadena, MD

>

Guest guest

Hi, Anny,

Yes, I highly recommend the Summerfest, particularly for people who are new to veganism, or otherwise want to learn more about various vegan/health-related issues, not limited to diet alone. It's also ideal for anyone who wants to meet like-minded people who share vegan values, frequently but not always contrary to those of the powers that be in our White House and federal legislature. I've been there twice before, in 1997 and 2001, as I previously mentioned in my original email (namely 2001). Technically, I originally planned to register for and attend the World Vegetarian Congress in Goa, India, but a recent automotive incident drastically reduced my financial assets, prompting me to dramatically alter my vacation plans from 2 weeks in India to a much shorter one much closer to home. Since I hadn't requested any time off from work in July when our 6-month leave requests were due in February (instead only requesting 2 weeks off in September to visit India), I found it impossible to attend the entire Summerfest this year, solely because it starts on July 5, which happens to be the day after a federal holiday. The federal government, at least the Social Security Administration, rarely if ever allows employees to take leave the day before or after a federal holiday, unless we request it on time for the 6-month request and are approved for it soon afterward. Thus, my annual vacation was reduced from 2 weeks in September to merely 2.5 days in July (technically only 1 business day off). If you've never heard or seen most or all of the featured speakers, then it's all the more worthwhile. I actually searched the entire Internet for an alternate vacation that I can afford and might have a chance of getting approved after my automotive catastrophe, but the Summerfest was all I could come up with. The full program lasts 5 days, though the last day (July 9) ends with lunch on Sunday. If nothing else, I desperately need some diversion from the insanity of working at Social Security, constantly talking to a myriad of netherworldly s, many of whom verbally abuse and threaten me in the most vicious, condescending manner imaginable. I get my share of generous compliments from some of the callers, but some vacation is essential for my mental health, even if for only a brief weekend.

Suffice to say, go to www.vegetariansummerfest.org and read the list of featured speakers, maybe talk to others who've been there more recently than 2001, such as Bob LeRoy, especially raw foodists and then decide. From what regular attendees have told me, the raw food dishes are vastly improved, and I always enjoyed hearing most of the speakers. My favorites off the top of my head were Dr. Neal Barnard, Carol Adams, Rynn Berry (vegetarian historian & raw fruitarian with a subtle but wry sense of humor), Karen Davis, Howard Lyman & Cherie Soria (gourmet raw chef & founder of Living Light Culinary Arts Institute). There are many others who add spice, humor and intellect to the seminars & lectures, but they all make it worthwhile, combined with reputedly great raw food (per Bob Leroy who sits on the NAVS board & pressured them to include much more interesting raw options) and very friendly people from all over the nation. I think it's one of the most reasonably priced vegetarian conferences I've ever attended, partly because most people can stay on campus at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown, much cheaper than a hotel, and the accommodations, with or without air conditioning (which I don't need b/c it gets chilly there at night in the summer) are very cozy and all within reasonable walking distance of all workshops & seminars. I look forward to hearing from you & your friends about a possible carpool, etc.

Peace,

David

The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." --Alice Walker, Forward to "The Dreaded Comparison" by Marjorie Spiegel"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country."--Pres. Theodore Roosevelt, 1908

Anne Marie Sadler <anny54321 Sent: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 08:57:55 -0700 (PDT)Re: Vegetarian Summerfest/Houses available

A couple people from my household were contemplating going, buthadn't heard from anyone who had ever been.Do you recommend it, or is this your first time going?Thanks! :)Anny410-900-0011Pasadena, MD

Try the New Netscape Mail Today!

Virtually Spam-Free | More Storage | Import Your Contact Listhttp://mail.netscape.com