IndiaDivine.org

Vegan parents sprung in tot's near starvation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

With all due respect to the relevant government agencies involved in this case, while I'm no pediatrician or dietician, a medical degree is not required to grasp the blatant miscarriage of justice these parents have and continue to endure, even after a court reversed their conviction. I've long become thoroughly convinced that raising children in the Standard American Diet (a euphemism for the worst atrocities humans have ever committed against our nonhuman brethren) is patently child abuse, pure and simple. If we lived in anything remotely resembling a "civilized" society (recall Mohandas Gandhi's reference to "Western civilization" in reply to a reporter during an interview), then instead of prosecuting parents with the decency and common sense to feed their children our natural diet as per Mother Nature, our legal system would penalize parents who feed corpses and bodily secretions to their offspring, all of which contradict our physical (frugivores) and psychological (children's natural affinity to other species) nature as homo sapiens. I must completely hand it to these parents and all others with the same cajonas to literally do the right thing. Heaven forbid (even for the atheists and agnostics among us) that such a corrupt court or child welfare system prevailed in Maryland, then amazing parents such as the Roses, who co-own Natural Zing, would likewise be harassed and prosecuted to no end for raising their incredible son, Sundance, as a raw vegan! Anyone who has ever met him in the flesh can tell immediately how physically, mentally and spiritually animated and healthy he is. If I could have been raised similarly, though my parents did an adequate job of raising me, my upbringing would have been far healthier. No asthma, allergies or other common childhood medical problems would have invaded my body and I suspect I may have even won a few medals on my high school track team instead of what occurred. Such parents as the Roses, Swintons (aforementioned in the article) and Phoenix's (ie. River, Joaquin) families IMHO deserve some equivalent of a Nobel Peace Prize for their handiwork in raising such vibrantly healthy babies. As Gandhi told a reporter many decades ago when asked, "What do you think of Western civilization?I think it would be a great idea!" he replied with his signature wit reminiscent of Sam Clemens (a.k.a. Mark Twain). These parents won their appeal. Doesn't the logical conclusion under law point to returning custody of their children to them before these innocent kids are brainwashed into the McDonald's/Chucky Cheese mentality? Let's all get our heads on straight!

Namaste,

David

The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." --Alice Walker, Forward to "The Dreaded Comparison" by Marjorie Spiegel"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country."--Pres. Theodore Roosevelt, 1908

Guest guest

BY SCOTT SHIFRELDAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER She's a healthy 6-year-old now, well enough to be on hand when her vegan parents - convicted of nearly starving her - were freed yesterday by a Queens judge. Little Ice Swinton's father and mother were released on orders from the state's highest court, which tossed their felony conviction for lack of evidence. "Daddy's home," said Joseph Swinton, 35, after he and his wife walked out of state Supreme Court. "It feels great." But Swinton and his wife, Silva, also 35, could not see Ice or her brother, Ini, 5, because they lost custody of the children after their

conviction. "I want to go inside, I want to see Mommy," Ice was heard telling her grandfather outside the courthouse in Kew Gardens. "Not now. Later," he told the pretty girl, unable to explain that a court order still only allows her to see her mother once a week. In 2002, when she was 16 months old, Ice weighed just 10 pounds and was severely malnourished. The Swintons were arrested and charged with first-degree assault and child endangerment. They said their family's vegan diet was not harming the kids. Swinton had served four years and his wife three years when the Court of Appeals in Albany earlier this month threw out the assault conviction, leaving only the misdemeanor counts. "They were devoted parents, loving parents, but misguided," said Joseph Swinton's trial lawyer, Ronna Gordon-Galchus. "They should not have been prosecuted in a criminal setting.I'm always thinking about both my children," Silva Swinton said as she

hugged supporters after her release. "I was just trying to be the best mother I could be .... I've been looking forward to this day for a long, long time." Originally published on July 19, 2006 Peter H

All New Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

Guest guest

i think i should demand that any time the news reports some sort of child abuse, they have to tell us the parents diet

"McDonalds loving Father locks son in room with no heat in december"

peter VV Jul 20, 2006 12:41 PM Re: Vegan parents sprung in tot's near starvation

BY SCOTT SHIFRELDAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

She's a healthy 6-year-old now, well enough to be on hand when her vegan parents - convicted of nearly starving her - were freed yesterday by a Queens judge. Little Ice Swinton's father and mother were released on orders from the state's highest court, which tossed their felony conviction for lack of evidence. "Daddy's home," said Joseph Swinton, 35, after he and his wife walked out of state Supreme Court. "It feels great." But Swinton and his wife, Silva, also 35, could not see Ice or her brother, Ini, 5, because they lost custody of the children after their conviction. "I want to go inside, I want to see Mommy," Ice was heard telling her grandfather outside the courthouse in Kew Gardens. "Not now. Later," he told the pretty girl, unable to explain that a court order still only allows her to see her mother once a week. In 2002, when she was 16 months old, Ice weighed just 10 pounds and was severely malnourished. The Swintons were arrested and charged with first-degree assault and child endangerment. They said their family's vegan diet was not harming the kids. Swinton had served four years and his wife three years when the Court of Appeals in Albany earlier this month threw out the assault conviction, leaving only the misdemeanor counts. "They were devoted parents, loving parents, but misguided," said Joseph Swinton's trial lawyer, Ronna Gordon-Galchus. "They should not have been prosecuted in a criminal setting.I'm always thinking about both my children," Silva Swinton said as she hugged supporters after her release. "I was just trying to be the best mother I could be .... I've been looking forward to this day for a long, long time." Originally published on July 19, 2006

Peter H

All New Mail Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, “Views Differ on Shape of the Earth

Guest guest

I agree, but come on- what the hell were the parents thinking, the kid wieghed 10 pounds for crisps sake, .............."I was just trying to be the best mother I could be ... The Valley Vegan.............. All over the countryWe want a new directionI said all over this landWe need a reactionfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: i think i should demand that any time the news reports some sort of child abuse, they have to tell us the parents diet "McDonalds loving Father locks son in room with no heat in december" peter VV Jul 20,

2006 12:41 PM Re: Vegan parents sprung in tot's near starvation BY SCOTT SHIFRELDAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER She's a healthy 6-year-old now, well enough to be on hand when her vegan parents - convicted of nearly starving her - were freed yesterday by a Queens judge. Little Ice Swinton's father and mother were released on orders from the state's highest court, which tossed their felony conviction for lack of evidence. "Daddy's home," said Joseph Swinton, 35, after he and his wife walked out of state Supreme Court. "It

feels great." But Swinton and his wife, Silva, also 35, could not see Ice or her brother, Ini, 5, because they lost custody of the children after their conviction. "I want to go inside, I want to see Mommy," Ice was heard telling her grandfather outside the courthouse in Kew Gardens. "Not now. Later," he told the pretty girl, unable to explain that a court order still only allows her to see her mother once a week. In 2002, when she was 16 months old, Ice weighed just 10 pounds and was severely malnourished. The Swintons were arrested and charged with first-degree assault and child endangerment. They said their family's vegan diet was not harming the kids. Swinton had served four years and his wife three years when the Court of Appeals in Albany earlier this month threw out the assault conviction, leaving only the misdemeanor counts. "They were devoted parents, loving parents, but misguided," said Joseph Swinton's trial lawyer,

Ronna Gordon-Galchus. "They should not have been prosecuted in a criminal setting.I'm always thinking about both my children," Silva Swinton said as she hugged supporters after her release. "I was just trying to be the best mother I could be .... I've been looking forward to this day for a long, long time." Originally published on July 19, 2006 Peter H All New Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, “Views Differ on Shape of the

EarthPeter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Guest guest

Precisely my thoughts.

JO

-

fraggle

Thursday, July 20, 2006 8:52 PM

Re: Vegan parents sprung in tot's near starvation

i think i should demand that any time the news reports some sort of child abuse, they have to tell us the parents diet

peter VV Jul 20, 2006 12:41 PM Re: Vegan parents sprung in tot's near starvation

She's a healthy 6-year-old now, well enough to be on hand when her vegan parents - convicted of nearly starving her - were freed yesterday by a Queens judge. Little Ice Swinton's father and mother were released on orders from the state's highest court, which tossed their felony conviction for lack of evidence. "Daddy's home," said Joseph Swinton, 35, after he and his wife walked out of state Supreme Court. "It feels great." But Swinton and his wife, Silva, also 35, could not see Ice or her brother, Ini, 5, because they lost custody of the children after their conviction. "I want to go inside, I want to see Mommy," Ice was heard telling her grandfather outside the courthouse in Kew Gardens. "Not now. Later," he told the pretty girl, unable to explain that a court order still only allows her to see her mother once a week. In 2002, when she was 16 months old, Ice weighed just 10 pounds and was severely malnourished. The Swintons were arrested and charged with first-degree assault and child endangerment. They said their family's vegan diet was not harming the kids. Swinton had served four years and his wife three years when the Court of Appeals in Albany earlier this month threw out the assault conviction, leaving only the misdemeanor counts. "They were devoted parents, loving parents, but misguided," said Joseph Swinton's trial lawyer, Ronna Gordon-Galchus. "They should not have been prosecuted in a criminal setting.I'm always thinking about both my children," Silva Swinton said as she hugged supporters after her release. "I was just trying to be the best mother I could be .... I've been looking forward to this day for a long, long time." Originally published on July 19, 2006

Peter H

All New Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, “Views Differ on Shape of the Earth

Guest guest

I can't understand why people who have chosen a diet, a good diet, don't read up on the details of feeding their children the same diet in a healthy way. I believe it is quite easy to feed a vegan diet to babies to keep them healthy.

Jo

-

peter VV

Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:06 PM

I agree, but come on- what the hell were the parents thinking, the kid wieghed 10 pounds for crisps sake, .............."I was just trying to be the best mother I could be ...

The Valley Vegan..............

All over the countryWe want a new directionI said all over this landWe need a reactionfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Peter H

All New Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, “Views Differ on Shape of the

Earth

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Guest guest

I agree with you on this one Jo. Its sad that this happened to that poor child. I have been reading up myself making sure I do it right. I am right now not doing it the way I should but I am getting better. I just got to get back on track and keep away from the junk.

-

jo

Thursday, July 20, 2006 5:30 PM

I can't understand why people who have chosen a diet, a good diet, don't read up on the details of feeding their children the same diet in a healthy way. I believe it is quite easy to feed a vegan diet to babies to keep them healthy.

Jo

-

peter VV

I agree, but come on- what the hell were the parents thinking, the kid wieghed 10 pounds for crisps sake, .............."I was just trying to be the best mother I could be ...

All over the countryWe want a new directionI said all over this landWe need a reactionfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Peter H

All New Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, “Views Differ on Shape of the

Earth

Peter H

Guest guest

I think most people have times when their diet is not particularly healthy - we all enjoy some junk type food or sugary things. I think though that people should aim to have a 90+% healthy diet.

Jo

-

Tara Van Nostrand

Saturday, July 22, 2006 3:47 PM

I agree with you on this one Jo. Its sad that this happened to that poor child. I have been reading up myself making sure I do it right. I am right now not doing it the way I should but I am getting better. I just got to get back on track and keep away from the junk.

-

jo

Thursday, July 20, 2006 5:30 PM

Jo

-

peter VV

Peter H

Earth

Peter H