IndiaDivine.org

Toxic waste don't belong in fertilizer

Rate this topic

Guest guest

EPA National Public Hearing Thursday, Sep 20, 6 to 9 pm. * Town Hall * 1119 8th Ave. Seattle

Today, toxic waste from mining, steel mills, pulp mills, and other industries are made into fertilizer with virtually no regulations. These wastes contain dangerous levels of arsenic, lead, dioxin, and other poisons. They have no place in our food chain.

The Environmental Protection Agency is holding one hearing only nationwide, here in Seattle, on a proposed rule to regulate toxic waste in fertilizer. Make your opinion count.

I've noticed that trucks drive away from the water treatment plant next to discovery park - the sign on the side of the truck says Soil Conditioners. Does anyone know about this? Are they conditioning our soil with our waster products......

Hi Gang,

I will post this event immediately, but I did not see it listed on Town Hall's Event Listing http://www.townhallseattle.org/coming.cfm (Perhaps it only lists "for profit" events like concerts and the like). I also tried verifying that the event existed on the EPA's website, but was overcome by "needle in the haystack" syndrome [yes raw foodists can catch it too :) ]. There is however a barn full of good reading at http://www.epa.gov/ so there's a good side to that. I will leave the event on our site for now, but I will take it down if we verify its non-existence.

If anyone would like to me out with this please contact:

1119 Eighth Avenue (at Seneca Street)Seattle, WA 98101(206) 652-4255info

HTTP://www.TownHallSeattle.org

Thanks,

Christian Blackburn

SRFC Web Developer

-

Helen Sun

RawSeattle

Friday, September 14, 2001 11:54 PM

[RawSeattle] Toxic waste don't belong in fertilizer

EPA National Public Hearing Thursday, Sep 20, 6 to 9 pm. * Town Hall * 1119 8th Ave. Seattle

Today, toxic waste from mining, steel mills, pulp mills, and other industries are made into fertilizer with virtually no regulations. These wastes contain dangerous levels of arsenic, lead, dioxin, and other poisons. They have no place in our food chain.

The Environmental Protection Agency is holding one hearing only nationwide, here in Seattle, on a proposed rule to regulate toxic waste in fertilizer. Make your opinion count.

Thanks for checking the event. I copied the notice from PCC newsletter. Maybe I should call PCC.

Helen

-

Christian Blackburn

RawSeattle

Saturday, September 15, 2001 12:47 PM

Re: [RawSeattle] Toxic waste don't belong in fertilizer

Hi Gang,

I will post this event immediately, but I did not see it listed on Town Hall's Event Listing http://www.townhallseattle.org/coming.cfm (Perhaps it only lists "for profit" events like concerts and the like). I also tried verifying that the event existed on the EPA's website, but was overcome by "needle in the haystack" syndrome [yes raw foodists can catch it too :) ]. There is however a barn full of good reading at http://www.epa.gov/ so there's a good side to that. I will leave the event on our site for now, but I will take it down if we verify its non-existence.

If anyone would like to me out with this please contact:

1119 Eighth Avenue (at Seneca Street)Seattle, WA 98101(206) 652-4255info

HTTP://www.TownHallSeattle.org

Thanks,

Christian Blackburn

SRFC Web Developer

-

Helen Sun

RawSeattle

Friday, September 14, 2001 11:54 PM

[RawSeattle] Toxic waste don't belong in fertilizer