IndiaDivine.org

FRESH DURIAN ALERT

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

here's an article i copied off of rawlife about a year ago and i thot i'd pass it on.

norm :))~

...... raw food, simply delicious .....

FRESH DURIAN ALERT

On Saturday evening, May 26, 2001 fresh durians were sighted at numerouslocations in Manhattan Chinatown. They were undoubtedly fresh, not theusual frozen ones, as evidenced by the very hard shell, sharp spines andeven sharper prices.

At approximately 7:30 pm, two caucasian males were seen absconding acrossGrand Street each clutching a large, moderately sized, spiky footballshaped fruit. They were apparently in a state of high durianic euphoria, astheir whoops of glee were mirthfully observed by many of the local Asianpopulation. The two suspects are thought to be of the raw vegan persuasion,perhaps connected with the infamous Brooklyn Raw Foods Gang.

The durians in question were flown in on Cathy Pacific Airlines fromDonMuang Airport in Bangkok, Thailand. As evidenced by the nice light coloron the inside of the stemS, they were mostly likely only 2 to 4 days offthe tree.

All fresh durians sighted were of the MORNTHONG or "golden pillow" variety.Two brands were available, both of which were here to fore unseen in NewYork.

The fruit of the fresh durian is totally different from the frozen ones,which tend to have a strong smell, be very sugary and fatty, and can leadto all manner of overeating and gastric distress.

In contrast, the fresh durian has a much lighter smell. The taste of a goodone is subtle, lightly fruity, and sublime.

The fruits sighted in New York were fairly large at 7 to 11 pounds each(see warning #4). It is presently durian mornthong season in Thailand.

WARNINGS:1) FRESH DURIANS HAVE A VERY HARD SHELL, AND VERY SHARP SPINES. TAKE EXTRACAUTION WHEN HANDLING, AND EVACUATE THE PREMESIS IMMEDIATELY IF YOU KNOCKONE OVER OR WORSE PRECIPITATE A DURIAN AVALANCHE.

2) BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN OPENING. THE SHELL SHOULD BE EXCEEDINGLY HARD. OPENBY INSERTING A STRONG WIDE BLADE KNIFE INTO THE BOTTOM NUB, AND TWIST. THENEITHER CONTINUE CUTTING ALONG THE SEEM OR USE YOUR HANDS TO PRY APART IFYOU HAVE CREATED ENOUGH SPACE BY TWISTING. ONE CAN EASILY DRAW SIGNIFICANTAMOUNTS OF BLOOD IF THEY INSIST ON OPENING A FRESH ONE ONLY WITH THEBAREHANDS.

3) THE CRITERIA FOR CHOOSING A FRESH DURIAN IS VERY DIFFERENT FROM A FROZENONE. UNFORTUNATELY, LOCAL FRUIT SELLERS HAVE LITTLE KNOWLEDGE OF DURIANSAND WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST YOU AS WOULD BE THEIR COUNTERPARTS INSOUTHEAST ASIA.A) SMELL IS THE FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT. A LIGHT FRUITY SMELL ISUSUALLY A GOOD SIGN.B) TAP THE BOTTOM WITH A HEAVY KNIFE, AND COMPARE FRUITS LISTENINGFOR THE ONE WITH THE DEEPEST SOUND.C) RUN THE KNIFE ALONG THE SPINES ON THE SIDE AND LISTEN FOR ANICE, MUSICAL RING.D) AVOID DURIANS WHOSE STEM IS DARK BROWN OR ROTTING, AND THOSEWITH WORM HOLES THROUGH THE TOUGH OUTER SKIN.E) HOLD IT AND SEE WHAT FEELING IT GIVES YOU. TRUST YOUR INTUITION.THIS WILL BE JUST AS OR MORE EFFECTIVE (OR INEFFECTIVE) AS THE FIRST FOUR.

4) THE PRICES ARE ASTRONOMICAL AT $4 TO $5 PER POUND. CHOOSE CAREFULLY ANDPRAY SINCE THE BILL FOR ONE IS AROUND $30++, AND FOR MANY PEOPLE CLOSE TO ADAYS WAGES FOR 2 OR MORE.

5) FRESH DURIANS WHEN EATEN CALMY AND ON AN EMPTY STOMACH, HAVE BEEN KNOWNTO PRODUCE JOYFUL GIDDINESS, AND UNCONTROLLED EXCLAMATIONS OF "OH MY GOD! ICAN'T BELIEVE HOW DELICIOUS THIS IS!"

*************robertmiller

Article on Asian travel in the raw:http://www.sunfood.net/asiantravel.html

PEACE, LOVE, JOY

• 2 years later...
Guest guest

Nora,

Did you get a fresh durian? Let me know how it turns out. The one I bought last

time didn't turn out so good. It smelled good and it cracked open but the

texture was not right. It seemed that it was picked too soon and wasn't ripe.

Yes, the frozen ones are fantastic and economic.

Helen

-

Nora Lenz

RawSeattle

Sunday, April 10, 2005 4:44 PM

Re: [RawSeattle] Fresh durian alert

Lam's Seafood in the International District has fresh durian, $5.99/lb.

Their frozen durians have been absolutely stupendous too, only $.69/lb.

Also some very sweet and juicy cherimoyas, $4.99/lb.

Nora

www.RawSchool.com

Guest guest

Oh, darn, that's bad news. Yes, I got two. They look mature, with

large thorns and bulgy pockets. A little green so I'm thinking it will

take a few days or even a week at room temp. I'll report back.

Nora

Helen wrote:

>Nora,

>

>Did you get a fresh durian? Let me know how it turns out. The one I bought last

time didn't turn out so good. It smelled good and it cracked open but the

texture was not right. It seemed that it was picked too soon and wasn't ripe.

Yes, the frozen ones are fantastic and economic.

>

>Helen

> -

> Nora Lenz

> RawSeattle

> Sunday, April 10, 2005 4:44 PM

> Re: [RawSeattle] Fresh durian alert

>

>

> Lam's Seafood in the International District has fresh durian, $5.99/lb.

> Their frozen durians have been absolutely stupendous too, only $.69/lb.

> Also some very sweet and juicy cherimoyas, $4.99/lb.

> Nora

> www.RawSchool.com

>

>

>

>