IndiaDivine.org

cell phones and pumping gas

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Amy,

I would like to correct your assertion that this is an urban legend. Although the risk is remote, you should heed the advice of turning off your cellphone while refueling, don't get back into your car while fueling and (not mentioned in the earlier posts) when filling a portable gas can always place it on the ground when filling. Yes the risks are remote and the incidents have been few and the result of excess, but most of us on this list are interested in improving our odds of survival and optimum health. Following these simple suggestions seems worthwhile.

I've attached the last paragraph from the "urban legend" site you cited.....

Cellular phone manufacturers Nokia and Ericsson have said that the risk is very small that something will happen, but since there is a risk, it should be counted. Nokia also said that the company has been recommending for a long time that the mobile phones should be turned off while the car is being refueled.

And if you really want to make the most of the situation, leave the car at home and walk or bike.

Hope this helps.

Nick Hein

Late of Raw Seattle, now of Raw Morgantown WV

-

Amy

RawSeattle

Friday, May 30, 2003 9:41 AM

Re: [RawSeattle] cell phones and pumping gas

This is an urban legend. I always suggest that people investigate mass mailings of safety warnings, etc. before passing them along, especially to mailing lists. The following link is Snopes.com's investigation of this matter.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

Guest guest

I received this email today and I thought it may be of interest to

those who use cell phones.

William S. Buehler

Thursday, May 29, 2003 04:03:40

Buehler's List

Cc: Jack Buehler

[shamir] Important Safety Note

SAFETY ALERT.

The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents

in which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fuelling

operations.

In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during

fuelling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the

gasoline pump.

In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when

fumes ignited as they answered a call while refuelling their car.

And in the third, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin

as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang while

they were fuelling their car.

You should know that:

Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumes

Mobile phones that light up when switched on or when they ring

release enough energy to provide a spark for ignition

Mobile phones should not be used in filling stations, or when

fuelling lawn mowers, boat! , Etc.

Mobile phones should not be used, or should be turned off, around

other materials that generate flammable or explosive fumes or dust,

i.e. solvents, chemicals, gases, grain dust, etc.

To sum it up, here are the: Four Rules of Safe Refuelling

1) Turn off engine

2) Don't smoke

3) Don 't use your cell phone - leave it inside the vehicle or turn

it off

4) Don't reenter your vehicle during fuelling

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign

to try and make people aware of fires as a result of " static

electricity " at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of

these fires. His results were very surprising:

1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.

2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle

while the nozzle was still pumping gas, when finished and they went

back to pull the nozzle out the fire started, as a result of static.

3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.

4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely

finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these! types of

fires.

5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas

6) It is the vapours that come out of the gas that cause the fire,

when connected with static charges.

7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was re-entered and the

nozzle was touched during refuelling from a variety of makes and

models. Some resulting in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the

station, and to the customer.

8) Seventeen fires that occurred before, during or immediately after

the gas cap was removed and before fuelling began.

Mr. Renkes stresses to NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling

it with gas.

If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while ! the gas is

pumping,make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL,

before you ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your

body will be discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.

As I mentioned earlier, The Petroleum Equipment Institute, along with

several other companies now, are really trying to make the public

aware of this danger. You can find out more information by going to

http://www.pei.org . Once here, click in the center of the screen

where it says " Stop Static " .

I ask you to please send this information to ALL your family and

friends, especially those who have kids in the car with them while

pumping gas.

If this were to happen to them, they may not be able to get the

children out in time. Thanks for passing this along.

Pat Cabling-Chevron Texaco USA RFMS Richmond California Refinery!

Phone:(510) 242-1454 Email: ppca

Shamir mailing list

Shamir

http://listserv.freestate.net/mailman/listinfo/shamir

Guest guest

This is an urban legend. I always suggest that people investigate mass mailings of safety warnings, etc. before passing them along, especially to mailing lists. The following link is Snopes.com's investigation of this matter.

rawmona1 <sturtevants wrote:

I received this email today and I thought it may be of interest to those who use cell phones.William S. BuehlerThursday, May 29, 2003 04:03:40Buehler's ListCc: Jack Buehler[shamir] Important Safety NoteSAFETY ALERT.The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidentsin which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fuellingoperations.In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid duringfuelling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and thegasoline pump.In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face whenfumes ignited as they answered a call while refuelling their car.And in the third, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groinas fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang whilethey were fuelling their car.You should know that:Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumesMobile phones that light up when switched on or when they ring release enough energy to provide a spark for ignitionMobile phones should not be used in filling stations, or when fuelling lawn mowers, boat! , Etc.Mobile phones should not be used, or should be turned off, around other materials that generate flammable or explosive fumes or dust, i.e. solvents, chemicals, gases, grain dust, etc.To sum it up, here are the: Four Rules of Safe Refuelling1) Turn off engine2) Don't smoke3) Don 't use your cell phone - leave it inside the vehicle or turn it off4) Don't reenter your vehicle during fuellingBob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result of "static electricity" at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires. His results were very surprising:1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehiclewhile the nozzle was still pumping gas, when finished and they wentback to pull the nozzle out the fire started, as a result of static.3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these! types of fires.5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas6) It is the vapours that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was re-entered and the nozzle was touched during refuelling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulting in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.8) Seventeen fires that occurred before, during or immediately afterthe gas cap was removed and before fuelling began.Mr. Renkes stresses to NEVER get back into your vehicle while fillingit with gas.If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while ! the gas ispumping,make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.As I mentioned earlier, The Petroleum Equipment Institute, along withseveral other companies now, are really trying to make the public aware of this danger. You can find out more information by going tohttp://www.pei.org . Once here, click in the center of the screen where it says "Stop Static".I ask you to please send this information to ALL your family and friends, especially those who have kids in the car with them while pumping gas.If this were to happen to them, they may not be able to get the children out in time. Thanks for passing this along.Pat Cabling-Chevron Texaco USA RFMS Richmond California Refinery!Phone:(510) 242-1454 Email: ppca_____________Shamir mailing listShamirhttp://listserv.freestate.net/mailman/listinfo/shamir

Guest guest

My assertion is that it is urban legend that people have been set ablaze or otherwise burned while fueling with a cell phone turned on. Those stories are blatantly false, as are many dire internet warnings. Yes of course there is a small, remote risk & it's best to turn off one's cell phone while fueling. I thought snopes.com addressed that adequately, so I did not repeat that information in my email. The point of an urban legend is to take a small remote (or non-existant) risk & hype it up into something that sounds quite frightening.

Nick Hein <nick.hein wrote:

Amy,

I would like to correct your assertion that this is an urban legend. Although the risk is remote, you should heed the advice of turning off your cellphone while refueling, don't get back into your car while fueling and (not mentioned in the earlier posts) when filling a portable gas can always place it on the ground when filling. Yes the risks are remote and the incidents have been few and the result of excess, but most of us on this list are interested in improving our odds of survival and optimum health. Following these simple suggestions seems worthwhile.

I've attached the last paragraph from the "urban legend" site you cited.....

Cellular phone manufacturers Nokia and Ericsson have said that the risk is very small that something will happen, but since there is a risk, it should be counted. Nokia also said that the company has been recommending for a long time that the mobile phones should be turned off while the car is being refueled.

And if you really want to make the most of the situation, leave the car at home and walk or bike.

Hope this helps.

Nick Hein

Late of Raw Seattle, now of Raw Morgantown WV

-

Amy

RawSeattle

Friday, May 30, 2003 9:41 AM

Re: [RawSeattle] cell phones and pumping gas

Guest guest

There actually have been similar fires set simply from static charges

that people carry with them from the inside of the car to the point

of touching the gas nozzle to the car. It's rare, but if you are

prone to static in your car, be sure to neutralize it before gassing

up! We want to keep our raw foodists healthy! :)

Guest guest

Uh, this isn't a Beano thing, is it? Jeff Rogers <jeff wrote:

There actually have been similar fires set simply from static charges that people carry with them from the inside of the car to the point of touching the gas nozzle to the car. It's rare, but if you are prone to static in your car, be sure to neutralize it before gassing up! We want to keep our raw foodists healthy! :)

Guest guest

I do not have a cell phone and thought that I was being helpful. The information made sense to me so I passed it on. Later I passed on the info that it maybe an urban legend to all those I had sent the email to.

Today I received an email from the person who originally sent the cell phone email and said her mother witnessed an altercation between a gas station attendant and a woman pumping gas while on a cell phone. He threatened to call the police if she did not get off the phone.

I don't think it hurts to have electrical devises off where there are gas fumes.

Use your best judgment for your situation.

Light and Love

Ramona