IndiaDivine.org

Why do so many raw foodists have bad teeth?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm kind of new at this, but I notice, so many raw

foodists have terrible teeth. I have very nice teeth

right now, and I don't want to go on this diet and

have them be ruined... what have everyone's

experiences been on this diet in regard to this issue?

I've heard of raw foodists teeth having problems, but haven't

heard/seen much first hand.

My teeth were already having challenges before going raw. While

eating anything raw may help the transition to raw and help keep a

person raw, there may be foods that may cause more problems with the

teeth. Raw vinegar is a wonderful and versatile flavoring, but I feel

it affect my teeth. My teeth have felt healthier when I don't use it.

Many fruits we get here are shipped from long distances, so are

picked early. This may cause them to be more acidic. Citrus is one

example. You'll probably notice when some are especially acidic.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but it's good to be aware of.

If your teeth are a concern, then I would focus on eating plenty of

fresh organic greens. As some may remind you, eating foods by

themselves, one food at a time (one per meal) is the ideal in terms

of ease of digestions. I've noticed when applying this to greens, and

not using dressings, my teeth feel better. They seem to draw minerals

right from the greens! Now, if I could only eat like that 100% of the

time. Once in a while I go back to mixed raw foods and using raw

dressings, etc. and my teeth don't feel quite as healthy.

John mentioned to me recently that Viktoras Kulvinskas, at the recent

festival (I was at my booth), said to brush with clay, which

re-mineralizes teeth. He apparently said 4 times a day and in a month

they should be re-mineralized. I've started using some clay from PCC

recently, but can't give you much feedback yet. PCC had some in bulk

and some green clay in small jars in the beauty section (for masks.)

Many raw foodists have given up tooth pastes, opting for just baking

soda or simply water/saliva. I've never enjoyed toothpaste, so gave

it up, except for very rare occasions, then only all-natural.

It seems that we were meant to have teeth that would last us a

lifetime without dentists. Natural hygienists could probably give you

some additional insights. I'm still searching for answers.

Jeff

EAT your fruit RIPE and whole, juice your veggies, eat your leafy greens daily and minimize your intake of acid-forming foods such as oils, nuts, seeds, avocadoes,coconuts,olives and de-hydrated foods.

musings and smiles, joyce

bella r

RawSeattle RawSeattle [RawSeattle] Why do so many raw foodists have bad teeth? Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:08:44 -0700 (PDT)

I'm kind of new at this, but I notice, so many raw foodists have terrible teeth. I have very nice teeth right now, and I don't want to go on this diet and have them be ruined... what have everyone's experiences been on this diet in regard to this issue?

Use custom emotions -- try MSN Messenger 6.0!

Joyce, why anti nuts/seeds/oils/fats?

-

Joyce Divic

RawSeattle

Sunday, September 07, 2003 1:41 PM

Re: [RawSeattle] Why do so many raw foodists have bad teeth?

EAT your fruit RIPE and whole, juice your veggies, eat your leafy greens daily and minimize your intake of acid-forming foods such as oils, nuts, seeds, avocadoes,coconuts,olives and de-hydrated foods.

bella r

RawSeattle RawSeattle [RawSeattle] Why do so many raw foodists have bad teeth? Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:08:44 -0700 (PDT)

I'm kind of new at this, but I notice, so many raw foodists have terrible teeth. I have very nice teeth right now, and I don't want to go on this diet and have them be ruined... what have everyone's experiences been on this diet in regard to this issue?

Man, everyone puts so many ideas out there which is good, but it can get confusing for folks...The idea is balance, and one person may need a lot more fat and protein than someone else. I personally wouldn't withhold much oil or nuts being an O+ blood type with a fast metabolism. Watching balance of foods to prevent acidity makes sense within each personal body's need. I wonder how many raw foodists who have teeth problems are 100% raw? I don't think anybody's BODY can be compared to the Boutenko's unless they have been raw a long time!

Janaki Rose

-

Brian Powell

RawSeattle

Sunday, September 07, 2003 12:09 PM

Joyce, why anti nuts/seeds/oils/fats?

-

Joyce Divic

RawSeattle

Sunday, September 07, 2003 1:41 PM

bella r

Hi Brian,

I'm not anti-nuts/seeds/oils/fats ... I said minimize acid forming foods because they draw alkaline forming mineral reserves such as the calcium reserves found in the teeth and bones and nails. One of the things that happened to me while on the raw diet is my teeth starting pitting around the gum area and I stopped drinking fruit juices and started eating the fruit instead and the pitting quickly patched itself and my teeth have calcified again. Also, I am religious about eating leafy greens. Further, I find that my son when he over eats on acid forming nuts and seeds his teeth become spotty grey and white. I balance this out it a ripe fresh mango or peach or apple , in other words, alkaline forming and mineral rich foods. regards, joyce

"Brian Powell"

RawSeattle

Re: [RawSeattle] Why do so many raw foodists have bad teeth? Sun, 7 Sep 2003 15:09:04 -0400

Joyce, why anti nuts/seeds/oils/fats? - Joyce Divic RawSeattle Sunday, September 07, 2003 1:41 PM Re: [RawSeattle] Why do so many raw foodists have bad teeth?

musings and smiles, joyce bella r RawSeattle RawSeattle [RawSeattle] Why do so many raw foodists have bad teeth? Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:08:44 -0700 (PDT) I'm kind of new at this, but I notice, so many raw foodists have terrible teeth. I have very nice teeth right now, and I don't want to go on this diet and have them be ruined... what have everyone's experiences been on this diet in regard to this issue?

Joice,

I kind of remember that according to NFL olives are one the most alkaline food, isn't it? Why are avocadoes and coconuts so bad? We do need some essential fatty acids, don't we?

Helen

-

Joyce Divic

RawSeattle

Sunday, September 07, 2003 10:41 AM

bella r

Hi Helen,

I'm sorry I've conveyed a message of "bad" vs "good" since I did write to minimize our intake of nuts, seeds, fats. Yes I made a sweeping generalization of acid- alkaline foods therefore let me elucidate:

olives that are sun-dried and not preserved in salt and oil are alkaline whereby olives that are picked green are acid-forming; olive oil is acid forming;

most avocadoes are picked green therefore they do not get enough sun-time to properly assimilate the whole alkaline package of minerals thereby it can leave them slightly acid-forming. If the avocadoes are tree ripened then I would agree that avocadoes would a slight alkaline ash. I verified this difference while in Hawaii where I ate copious quantities of nothing but tree-ripened avocadoes.

Fresh coconuts and almonds are also slightly more alkaline than acid forming; the question is how much is enough of these concentrated fats & proteins?

The reason I recommend to minimize the nuts, seeds, fats , not to avoid, not to exclude - these are not "bad" on the contrary they are good foods, is because new raw foodists have a tendency to over-eat on these foods and therefore they don't eat enough of the other high alkaliine foods higher in minerals and vitamins and eventually after many months one's teeth tend to bear the de-mineralizing brunt.

My initial advice to minimize is add to the discussion of already valid experiences with teeth preservation. My teeth are not only free of cavitites and problems but I've managed to keep them beautiful and healthy based on a diet low in fats & proteins and high in fruits & leafy greens. My son's, on the other hand, who has a diet higher in protein & fats, which I may add is recommended for growing children and pregnant & lactating moms, has acquired several cavitites, luckily these are his primary teeth ...

The Natural Hygenist, Doc Graham recommends 10% protein (nuts, seeds); 10% fats (avo's, coco'c, olives & some high fat nuts ie brazils, macs) the rest fruits and veggies. Before I heard of his formula and recommendation I have grown into this eating pattern and it has been working for many years. While pregnant I was up to a 25% fat & 25% protein diet and it was causing much de-hydration, loss of hearing, irritation, broken blood vessels ie. spider veins, easy bruising, bleeding gums, hair loss - some of the symptoms of a diet too high in fat & protein.

Anyhow, just trying lend a helping hand in the discussion based on my family's experiences.

I hope this clarifies things.

smiles, joyce

"Helen"

RawSeattle

Re: [RawSeattle] Why do so many raw foodists have bad teeth? Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:20:37 -0700

Joice,

I kind of remember that according to NFL olives are one the most alkaline food, isn't it? Why are avocadoes and coconuts so bad? We do need some essential fatty acids, don't we?

Helen - Joyce Divic RawSeattle Sunday, September 07, 2003 10:41 AM Re: [RawSeattle] Why do so many raw foodists have bad teeth?

musings and smiles, joyce bella r RawSeattle RawSeattle [RawSeattle] Why do so many raw foodists have bad teeth? Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:08:44 -0700 (PDT) I'm kind of new at this, but I notice, so many raw foodists have terrible teeth. I have very nice teeth right now, and I don't want to go on this diet and have them be ruined... what have everyone's experiences been on this diet in regard to this issue?

Thanks for sharing your experience, Joyce. That helped clarifying things a lot.

Helen

-

Joyce Divic

RawSeattle

Monday, September 08, 2003 11:48 AM

Hi Helen,

I'm sorry I've conveyed a message of "bad" vs "good" since I did write to minimize our intake of nuts, seeds, fats. Yes I made a sweeping generalization of acid- alkaline foods therefore let me elucidate:

olives that are sun-dried and not preserved in salt and oil are alkaline whereby olives that are picked green are acid-forming; olive oil is acid forming;

most avocadoes are picked green therefore they do not get enough sun-time to properly assimilate the whole alkaline package of minerals thereby it can leave them slightly acid-forming. If the avocadoes are tree ripened then I would agree that avocadoes would a slight alkaline ash. I verified this difference while in Hawaii where I ate copious quantities of nothing but tree-ripened avocadoes.

Fresh coconuts and almonds are also slightly more alkaline than acid forming; the question is how much is enough of these concentrated fats & proteins?

The reason I recommend to minimize the nuts, seeds, fats , not to avoid, not to exclude - these are not "bad" on the contrary they are good foods, is because new raw foodists have a tendency to over-eat on these foods and therefore they don't eat enough of the other high alkaliine foods higher in minerals and vitamins and eventually after many months one's teeth tend to bear the de-mineralizing brunt.

My initial advice to minimize is add to the discussion of already valid experiences with teeth preservation. My teeth are not only free of cavitites and problems but I've managed to keep them beautiful and healthy based on a diet low in fats & proteins and high in fruits & leafy greens. My son's, on the other hand, who has a diet higher in protein & fats, which I may add is recommended for growing children and pregnant & lactating moms, has acquired several cavitites, luckily these are his primary teeth ...

The Natural Hygenist, Doc Graham recommends 10% protein (nuts, seeds); 10% fats (avo's, coco'c, olives & some high fat nuts ie brazils, macs) the rest fruits and veggies. Before I heard of his formula and recommendation I have grown into this eating pattern and it has been working for many years. While pregnant I was up to a 25% fat & 25% protein diet and it was causing much de-hydration, loss of hearing, irritation, broken blood vessels ie. spider veins, easy bruising, bleeding gums, hair loss - some of the symptoms of a diet too high in fat & protein.

Anyhow, just trying lend a helping hand in the discussion based on my family's experiences.

I hope this clarifies things.

smiles, joyce

"Helen"

RawSeattle

Re: [RawSeattle] Why do so many raw foodists have bad teeth? Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:20:37 -0700

Joice,

Helen - Joyce Divic RawSeattle Sunday, September 07, 2003 10:41 AM Re: [RawSeattle] Why do so many raw foodists have bad teeth?