IndiaDivine.org

East Bay Restaurant News

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Cha Ya-Berkeley, starting today will close for a 1 week vacation. Business is as busy as ever.

Since Curry N Hurry closed, (thanks Tammy for reminding me), I went to a $4.99 lunch/dinner buffet at India Foods Supermarket, 2100 University/Shattuck, Berkeley. 510 843 2480. It's actually not bad, cause the food is actually cooked from the restaurant next door, Viceroy Indian Restaurant (same owners) 21 Shattuck Sq.

There were 1 meat item, 5 vegan item, 3 veg item. the bread has butter in it.

The only drawback about this restaurant, is the seating is no-frills. Inside is a bunch of chairs crammed together. The food can be a bit dried if it's sitting for a while, like the rice.

Food served 12-9pm. (I recommended the 12 noon seating cause you know the food is fresh). For dinner, I paid $4.99, tips not necessary cause there's no table service. While I was eating, there were only 2 other customers that came in for dinner.

Overall, I will go back there to eat.

==

My 4 friends I and thought, weekday lunch $4-$7 at Golden Lotus-Oakland is better than $7 New World Veg lunch specials, which includes rice and soup.

New World Veg recently remodeled the restaurant. I personally don't like any type of remodeling, cause it means they have to raise the prices to pay for the remodeling.

The above is my personal opinion, sorry to the folks who are crazy about New World Veg.

www.vegdining.com

more info on the above restaurant

==

coming soon, I am going to plan a movie night in SF Embaradeo Theatre so we can watch Supersize together. The girlfriend of the star is a real vegan lady..

I plan to invite a lot of friends for the movie outing

it might be a sat or sun maintinee. Nothing confirmed yetsignature: http://www.bayareaveg.org /http://www.vegdining.comhttp://www.sfvs.orgLiving Foods: SFLivingFoods/due to my high amount of emails, I am unable to answer everyone's emails on vegetarian questions.

Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at HotJobs

Guest guest

Speaking as one who sees diners' dollars as a somewhat finite thing, I don't think there was any need to patronize the now closed Curry In Hurry or support India Foods/Viceroy, when a fine all vegetarian restaurant is available just down the street at University and Martin Luther King, Udupi Palace, which offers the best of both Southern and Northern Indian cuisine. Why include the meat juices on the cutting board of non-veg restaurants in your vegetarian meal, as well as giving financial support to those who do not share your views on health, environment, and animal cruelty? Granted, I would prefer that my restaurants are not also supporting the dairy industry and its cruelty, but I'll take one upgrade at a time!

I'll be going to Woodland, a new all vegetarian Indian restaurant in Newark tonight, not far from Udupi's other local branch, and will report back on it soon.

Bobsunny outdoors <sunny_outdoors wrote:

Cha Ya-Berkeley, starting today will close for a 1 week vacation. Business is as busy as ever.

Since Curry N Hurry closed, (thanks Tammy for reminding me), I went to a $4.99 lunch/dinner buffet at India Foods Supermarket, 2100 University/Shattuck, Berkeley. 510 843 2480. It's actually not bad, cause the food is actually cooked from the restaurant next door, Viceroy Indian Restaurant (same owners) 21 Shattuck Sq.

There were 1 meat item, 5 vegan item, 3 veg item. the bread has butter in it.

The only drawback about this restaurant, is the seating is no-frills. Inside is a bunch of chairs crammed together. The food can be a bit dried if it's sitting for a while, like the rice.

Food served 12-9pm. (I recommended the 12 noon seating cause you know the food is fresh). For dinner, I paid $4.99, tips not necessary cause there's no table service. While I was eating, there were only 2 other customers that came in for dinner.

Overall, I will go back there to eat.

==

My 4 friends I and thought, weekday lunch $4-$7 at Golden Lotus-Oakland is better than $7 New World Veg lunch specials, which includes rice and soup.

New World Veg recently remodeled the restaurant. I personally don't like any type of remodeling, cause it means they have to raise the prices to pay for the remodeling.

The above is my personal opinion, sorry to the folks who are crazy about New World Veg.

www.vegdining.com

more info on the above restaurant

Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at HotJobs

Guest guest

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 12:31:15PM -0700, Vegan Living wrote:

> I'll be going to Woodland, a new all vegetarian Indian restaurant

> in Newark tonight, not far from Udupi's other local branch, and

> will report back on it soon.

I tried Woodlands <http://www.njsgourmet.com/> two weekends ago.

Pretty good, but not as good as Saravana Bhavan. The owners were

very conscious of vegan requirements, in a peculiar way. First

thing they asked us when we arrived is whether we were vegans (I

am, my partner isn't) and said that 90% (iirc) of the dishes could

be made vegan. They made my partner's dish with soy butter instead

of real butter without us asking for it so that we could share.

The peculiar thing is that two owners/waiters asked me to explain

why one would want to be vegan -- (paraphrasing) " I understand

vegetarianism, been one all my life, but I don't understand why

one whould want to be vegan. "

BTW, someone mentioned a few weeks ago that the veg-only Amarin in

Mt. View might have problems due to increased competition. I went

there last weekend and it was nearly full, unlike the first time I

went a couple months ago. Very, very good. Only two problems:

very slow service (which I didn't really mind, but they need another

waiter) and one loud whining self-righteous vegan at a nearby table

(whining about everything in general, not the restaurant, and

throwing the word " vegan " in every other sentence, regardless of