IndiaDivine.org

foie gras ban

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Regarding the new amendments, we also were able to get rid of the entire

portion of the bill stating that " assistance " would be provided to foie

gras farmers in changing to another business, which could have turned into

a subsidy for other cruel farming practices.

Are there people on this list who would be willing to help research

restaurants to find out who is still selling foie gras? We already have a

lot of them and have been contacting them, but we need to reach a lot more

to continue fighting this barbaric practice during the phaseout period.

Please contact Kath.

Thanks.

-- Bryan

The Animal Protection and Rescue League is a registered 501©(3)

not-for-profit organization dedicated to exposing and eradicating animal

cruelty. For information on our campaign against the sick practice of

force feeding ducks to make " foie gras " , see www.StopForceFeeding.com.

Back in July, at a BAV letter writing event, my daughter wrote Tartine Bakery. She asked the owner how she would like to be force fed. She also drew a picture of a sad goose, being force fed, and included a brochure on the force feeding of a goose. The owner wrote back a 3 page letter (!) with some philosophical questions and thoughts. The answer was not so philosophical. She says that (if she was an animal) she would not like to be taken away from her mother, not allowed to eat grass, would not like to be force fed, along with several other things she would not like, but --- This must be done. Humans must eat!

She also states at the bottom of her 3 page letter, that the letter was only for Jenny (my daughter). Does this mean she does not want her parents and/or the group with whom we wrote the letters with, respond to her?

Needless to say, at least she did put some thought to her letter and responded! Letter writing campaigns can get people hot under the collar.

Hope to see you at the next letter writing event. --Tracy

> Are there people on this list who would be willing to help research > restaurants to find out who is still selling foie gras?

As previously posted, BAV has been hosting a monthly letter writing party. At our July 22 letter writing party, we sent letters to the restaurants who shamelessly advertised as the 'Best Foie Gras' in SF Weekly

http://www.sfweekly.com/issues/2004-05-19/bestfood113.html

On 7/28, Kath Rogers/StopForceFeeding.com posted to this list that Tartine Bakery (to whom we'd sent letters) had stopped serving foie gras. We thought maybe our letters had an impact....

So, in preparation for the letter writing party that happened earlier this evening, we called the 4 shameless restaurants today. Three said they were still serving foie gras; the fourth, Tartine Bakery, said they are not currently serving it, but plan to start again very soon. :-(

Cheers,

Tammy

Bay Area Vegetarians

Thank you very much for this report.

I would like it to be known that Bite Back Vegan is currently in the process of doing reservation "Walk Outs" at these restaurants. Our next one is scheduled this Sat nite 8/21. Email me and I will forward teh location and details upon your confimation of attenedance.

I would like to also encourage all of us to call all of these restauants on a regular basis. make phony reservations (don't give a credit card number...find out the max amount of people you can reserve without giving a credit card # ...Aqua for example asks for a # for 5 or more). Make it in a phony name. Don't show. 15 min after the reservation call and tell the manager (not the receptionist or waiter) you are canceling as "you just learned that you serve foie gras there, and I refuse to support this barbaric and cruel force feeding of a defenseless animal". Hang up. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Give us your feedback @ bitebackvegan .

Thanks to Kath Rogers, IDA and Bay Area Veg for all your efforts. Let's stuff it down their throats!

Deomonstrations in front of these places are in the works as well.Tammy <t wrote:

> Are there people on this list who would be willing to help research > restaurants to find out who is still selling foie gras?

As previously posted, BAV has been hosting a monthly letter writing party. At our July 22 letter writing party, we sent letters to the restaurants who shamelessly advertised as the 'Best Foie Gras' in SF Weekly

http://www.sfweekly.com/issues/2004-05-19/bestfood113.html

On 7/28, Kath Rogers/StopForceFeeding.com posted to this list that Tartine Bakery (to whom we'd sent letters) had stopped serving foie gras. We thought maybe our letters had an impact....

So, in preparation for the letter writing party that happened earlier this evening, we called the 4 shameless restaurants today. Three said they were still serving foie gras; the fourth, Tartine Bakery, said they are not currently serving it, but plan to start again very soon. :-(

Cheers,

Tammy

Bay Area VegetariansBAY AREA VEGETARIANS (BAV) is a community group for veggies to network & find support. Event Calendar, Charter, FAQ and More!http://www.bayareaveg.org/Bookmark this page! Don't miss local events!http://www.bayareaveg.org/events.php

Paris Harvey Bite Back Vegan Society 925 788 8296 (PST)

Join bitebackvegan for updates, calendars, articles

If you love animals...check this out...http://tinyurl.com/2xkmc

Now look at this...no frills site.. http://www.factoryfarming.com/gallery.htm and keep looking! "but, I don't want to look at that" you say?....but you must!

if you're going to do this, i heartily recommend blocking caller id before

you call.

often this means dialing *67 before you place the call. you may have to

contact your phone company in case they use something other than *67.

if you don't do this, the restaurant will be able to see your phone number.

On 08/19/04, Paris Harvey <bitebackvegan wrote:

> I would like to also encourage all of us to call all of these restauants on a

regular basis. make phony reservations (don't give a credit card number...find

out the max amount of people you can reserve without giving a credit card #

....Aqua for example asks for a # for 5 or more). Make it in a phony name. Don't

show. 15 min after the reservation call and tell the manager (not the

receptionist or waiter) you are canceling as " you just learned that you serve

foie gras there, and I refuse to support this barbaric and cruel force feeding

of a defenseless animal " . Hang up. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Give us your feedback

@ bitebackvegan .

--

steve simitzis : /sim' - i - jees/

pala : saturn5 productions

www.steve.org : 415.282.9979

hath the daemon spawn no fire?

That's a good idea to block your number!

I am working on a campaign (thro IDA, I'm a volunteer) and I think that's a good idea to make the res (for a rather large party) then call and cancel as you said. But, how do you intend to educate them? I was thinking we could still do the cancellation and call back a few days later (as someone else) and ask to talk to the manager/owner and tell them I am aware they serve Foie Gras, tell them alittle about it and ask if you can send them some literature (brochures, Delicacy of Despair).

Lisa

"If not me, who? If not now, when?

Very good point! thank you!. But under the credit card # limit, they have no recourse anyway. But a wise thing to do in any case.Steve Simitzis <steve wrote:

if you're going to do this, i heartily recommend blocking caller id beforeyou call.often this means dialing *67 before you place the call. you may have tocontact your phone company in case they use something other than *67.if you don't do this, the restaurant will be able to see your phone number.On 08/19/04, Paris Harvey wrote: > I would like to also encourage all of us to call all of these restauants on a regular basis. make phony reservations (don't give a credit card number...find out the max amount of people you can reserve without giving a credit card # ...Aqua for example asks for a # for 5 or more). Make it in a phony name. Don't show. 15 min after the reservation call and tell the manager (not the receptionist or waiter) you are canceling as "you just learned that you serve foie gras there, and I refuse to

support this barbaric and cruel force feeding of a defenseless animal". Hang up. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Give us your feedback @ bitebackvegan . -- steve simitzis : /sim' - i - jees/pala : saturn5 productionswww.steve.org : 415.282.9979hath the daemon spawn no fire?

Now look at this...no frills site.. http://www.factoryfarming.com/gallery.htm and keep looking! "but, I don't want to look at that" you say?....but you must!

Lisa and all,

Re: educating the restaurant. Kath Rogers and IDA have graciously been sending the Delicacy of Deceit and a letter to each and every one of these restaurants in advance. They already have them. The Walk Out I did at the Duck Club (what a ridiculous name of a restaurant..that tortures ducks for profit!) a couple of weeks back, I handed the video and the letter to the manager that night.

Yes we must educate them.

The way I see it, the first "on site" visit, is sort of a show of intent. Then follow up with the phone calls from all of us and then some out front demonstrations... We need help to accomplish this though!

For full details on how our program works or to participate reply here, and join us.

Sungirl590 wrote:

That's a good idea to block your number!

I am working on a campaign (thro IDA, I'm a volunteer) and I think that's a good idea to make the res (for a rather large party) then call and cancel as you said. But, how do you intend to educate them? I was thinking we could still do the cancellation and call back a few days later (as someone else) and ask to talk to the manager/owner and tell them I am aware they serve Foie Gras, tell them alittle about it and ask if you can send them some literature (brochures, Delicacy of Despair).

Lisa

"If not me, who? If not now, when?