IndiaDivine.org

But you eat fish, don't you?!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I think every vegetarian has heard this at least once or twice ... unfortunately, many non-vegetarians (and even some 'vegetarians') don't realize that fish are not a vegetable.

Well, with many thanks to Mat Thomas, hopefully the new Bay Area Vegetarians brochure on this topic will set the record straight.

We've got it available on our website; also a PDF version if you want to print it. Please give it a read, and share it with family/friends as appropriate.

http://www.bayareaveg.org/articles/

Feel free to also let us know what you think...

Cheers,

Tammy

Bay Area Vegetarians

Thanks to Mat Thomas for the great article. I am so tired of people thinking that vegetarians eat fish, and in fact I would like to vent my latest frustration for just a moment:I'm a nutrition student, and one of my classes this semester is Medical Nutrition. On page 9 of my textbook in the chapter "Food Preferences and Customs", they say:"A vegetarian diet is one that eliminates meats - usually red meat and poultry at a minimum. Some vegetarians avoid fish and seafood. Some avoid all animal products, including milk, cheese, and eggs. A diet with no animal products is called a vegan diet. Some people choose to avoid animal foods out of values and convictions regarding animal rights and humane treatment, while others choose vegetarian diets for health or religious reasons." (Medical Nutrition Therapy for Dietary Managers. Sue Grossbauer, RD. Copyright 2004 Dietary Managers Association.)SOME vegetarians avoid fish and seafood??!! Granted, this book is produced by the DMA and not the American Dietetic Association (the ADA's position on vegetarianism is quite favorable). But it is still irritating to think how many people (i.e., future professionals) might read that and spread the myth!Okay, done venting :). We really do need to educate people we meet, restaurants, etc. Fish don't grow on trees!Jill__________Message: 7 Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:49:40 -0700 "TammyBut you eat fish, don't you?!"I think every vegetarian has heard this at least once or twice ...unfortunately, many non-vegetarians (and even some 'vegetarians') don'trealize that fish are not a vegetable.Well, with many thanks to Mat Thomas, hopefully the new Bay Area Vegetariansbrochure on this topic will set the record straight.We've got it available on our website; also a PDF version if you want toprint it. Please give it a read, and share it with family/friends asappropriate.http://www.bayareaveg.org/articles/Feel free to also let us know what you think...Cheers,TammyBay Area Vegetarians[This message contained attachments]__________Message: ------Join Excite! - http://www.excite.comThe most personalized portal on the Web!