IndiaDivine.org

macaroni and cheese

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Does anyone know where to get macaroni and cheese that is wheat free?

Rainbow no longer stocks it. It was pasta made from potatoes. I can't seem to

find it anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Anywhere in the bay area would

be great.

thanks

Dave

Get your name as your email address.

Includes spam protection, 1GB storage, no ads and more

Only $1.99/ month - visit http://www.mysite.com/name today!

--Does anyone know where to get macaroni and cheese that is wheat free?

There's a wheat-free version of Road's End Organic's macaroni and chreese (pronounced "trees") that is also dairy free. It may not be their macaroni, however, but some other shaped pasta (penne?) that is wheat free, so read the box. Whole Foods used to carry it & maybe still does; Rainbow probably does too. You could also order it online.

Dave,

You could also try making it yourself - a new cookbook from Jo Stepaniak

has just come out, called " The Ultimate Uncheese " , and I've been hearing

rave reviews. Then you could pair it with your favorite wheat-free pasta

and you'd be set!

-Kim

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, californiadiver wrote:

> Does anyone know where to get macaroni and cheese that is wheat free?

> Rainbow no longer stocks it. It was pasta made from potatoes. I can't seem to

find it anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Anywhere in the bay area would

be great.

> thanks

> Dave

> Re: macaroni and cheeseOne of my all-time favorite recipes is vegan macaroni and cheeze! I have always used the one from that classic cookbook "New Farm Vegetarian cookbook", and this is the source for the featured recipe in the July BAV newsletter. I've also tasted the version from Uncheese Cookbook (folks have brought it to the VFPs before) and that is good too.

Here's the recipe for the Farm Vegetarian version

http://bayareaveg.org/newsletters/BAV-News-Aug2004.htm#recipe

It does call for flour in the sauce, and you could experiment with rice flour perhaps. It's pretty easy to make, and definitely cheaper than buying a box mix if you have the time/inclination to cook.

Cheers,

Tammy

• 5 years later...

_

_,_._,___

This is a great recipe made without nutritional yeast or tofu. It is posted as written. There is fat in it. I baked it in a 9x9 pan.

Macaroni and Cheese (VEGAN)

By Allison Rivers Samson, VegNews

Serves 6

What You Need:

· 4 quarts water

· 1 tablespoon sea salt

· 8 ounces macaroni

· 4 slices of bread, torn into large pieces

· 2 tablespoons + 1/3 cup non-hydrogenated margarine

· 2 tablespoons shallots, peeled and chopped

· 1 cup red or yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped

· 1/4 cup carrots, peeled and chopped

· 1/3 cup onion, peeled and chopped

· 1 cup water

· 1/4 cup raw cashews

· 2 teaspoons sea salt

· 1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced

· 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard

· 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed

· 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

· 1/8 teaspoon cayenne

· 1/4 teaspoon paprika

What You Do:

1. In a large pot, bring the water and salt to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until al dente. In a colander, drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Set aside.

2. In a food processor, make breadcrumbs by pulverizing the bread and 2 tablespoons margarine to a medium-fine texture. Set aside.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan, add shallots, potatoes, carrots, onion, and water, and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.

4. In a blender, process the cashews, salt, garlic, 1/3 cup margarine, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne. Add softened vegetables and cooking water to the blender and process until perfectly smooth.

5. In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta and blended cheese sauce until completely coated. Spread mixture into a 9 x 12 casserole dish, sprinkle with prepared breadcrumbs, and dust with paprika. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese sauce is bubbling and the top has turned golden brown.

Thanks, but we would never have margarine in the house, as it's composed largely from chemicals. We use extra virgin, cold-pressed olive oil instead.

Best,

Olwen )O(--- On Tue, 11/10/09, Elizabeth Husberg <chfeliz wrote:

Elizabeth Husberg <chfeliz Re:macaroni and cheese Received: Tuesday, November 10, 2009, 4:09 PM

_

_,_._,___

This is a great recipe made without nutritional yeast or tofu. It is posted as written. There is fat in it. I baked it in a 9x9 pan.

Serves 6

What You Need:

· 4 quarts water

· 1 tablespoon sea salt

· 8 ounces macaroni

· 1 cup water

· 1/4 cup raw cashews

· 2 teaspoons sea salt

· 1/8 teaspoon cayenne

· 1/4 teaspoon paprika

What You Do:

1. In a large pot, bring the water and salt to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until al dente. In a colander, drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Set aside.

2. In a food processor, make breadcrumbs by pulverizing the bread and 2 tablespoons margarine to a medium-fine texture. Set aside.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan, add shallots, potatoes, carrots, onion, and water, and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.

4. In a blender, process the cashews, salt, garlic, 1/3 cup margarine, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne. Add softened vegetables and cooking water to the blender and process until perfectly smooth.

5. In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta and blended cheese sauce until completely coated. Spread mixture into a 9 x 12 casserole dish, sprinkle with prepared breadcrumbs, and dust with paprika. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese sauce is bubbling and the top has turned golden brown.

Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Canada Messenger for the Web BETA

I am sure you could replace the margarine with the oil (maybe even cut it in half) and the recipe would be fine.Patricia Squyres

(714) 299-6468

(714) 974-7055 Fax--- On Wed, 11/11/09, Lady Olwen Moondancer <ladyolwen wrote:Lady Olwen Moondancer <ladyolwenRe: Re:macaroni and cheese Date: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 7:03 AM

Thanks, but we would never have margarine in the house, as it's composed largely from chemicals. We use extra virgin, cold-pressed olive oil instead.

Best,

Olwen )O(--- On Tue, 11/10/09, Elizabeth Husberg <chfeliz (AT) msn (DOT) com> wrote:

Elizabeth Husberg <chfeliz (AT) msn (DOT) com> Re:macaroni and cheeseReceived: Tuesday, November 10, 2009, 4:09 PM

_

_,_._,___

Serves 6

What You Need:

· 4 quarts water

· 1 tablespoon sea salt

· 8 ounces macaroni

· 1 cup water

· 1/4 cup raw cashews

· 2 teaspoons sea salt

· 1/8 teaspoon cayenne

· 1/4 teaspoon paprika

What You Do:

Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Canada Messenger for the Web BETA

I love the VEGNEWS mac and cheese recipe. Fantastic. I also add some roasted

butternut squash. Makes it thicker, creamier and deeper orange.. and its

delicious!!

Not a fan of the earth balance/margarine they call for either. I think at times

Ive just left it out.=