IndiaDivine.org

Re:Want To Help With Fur Issues?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

HI Everyone,

Thank you for posting about fur related items. I am disheartened by the lack of outrage in the animal community about the popularity of fur. I am looking for like-minded people to speak up for the animals and assist us with education and outreach efforts.

As an active SF Bay area representative for rabbit rescue, it is particularly sad to see rabbit fur as the new fur of choice---marketed as an affordable luxury to the masses, through both upscale stores, like Nordstoms and Neiman Marcus, as well as mid-range, like JC Penney's and low-end Marshall's.. Cruelty cuts across demographic lines.

If you would like to build a local team to do letter writing, tabling, and anything and everything creative we can think of to get the word out, please let me know.

Thank you

Marcy SchaafChapter ManagerSaveABunnySan Francisco/ Marin House Rabbit Societywww.saveabunny.com415-388-2790

In a message dated 9/30/2004 9:27:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time, t writes:

Isn't fur a good issue to gain support from non-veg folks who are involved in animal rescue ? To me, they'd be the ideal folks to get involved into this. And as they get more involved, hopefully their circle of compassion will move beyond rabbits to encompass farmed animals too.

HI Tammy,

Yes, I totally agree. Whenever we have have people over to our our foster/ adopttion center, I always introduce them to the Rex rabbits we have and then explain that Rex fur is a lot of what is being used for fur coats. Whenever I do outreach at schools, etc I also teach about fur. People really get the connection when they are looking at and touching a live animal.

I do have some rabbits that would be OK at an outreach setting, for example outside a store selling fur. We could introduce people to the bunny before they walk into the store.........

Marcy SchaafChapter ManagerSaveABunnySan Francisco/ Marin House Rabbit Societywww.saveabunny.com415-388-2790

"As an active SF Bay area representative for rabbit rescue, it is particularly sad to see rabbit fur as the new fur of choice "

Isn't fur a good issue to gain support from non-veg folks who are involved in animal rescue ? To me, they'd be the ideal folks to get involved into this. And as they get more involved, hopefully their circle of compassion will move beyond rabbits to encompass farmed animals too.

For our monthly letter writing parties, we have currently been posting them to the veg lists, but realized last month that we should also be encouraging the general community concerned about animals to attend as well. Thus, recent flyers we've created target folks who are "Concerned about Animal Cruelty".

Anyways, just thought I'd put my own recent insight out there for your consideration.

Cheers,

Tammy

I forgot to say two things in my last message

1) Here's the flyers we created for the letter writing parties if anyone wants to help encourage folks to join us. It's designed to have the current date handwritten so that the flyers can be reused every month.

http://www.bayareaveg.org/flyers/lwp.pdf

2) Everyone is welcome to bring their veg or animal issues to share with the group. If you can't make the letter writing party, you can also email info to Chris (chris)

Writing on fur can definitely be part of OUR agenda.. there will be 2 letter writing parties this month, one on Saturday the 16th and another on Thursday the 21st...

http://www.bayaraveg.org/events.php

Cheers,

Tammy

Bay Area Vegetarianswww.BayAreaVeg.org