IndiaDivine.org

Stoa restaurant

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is an email exchange posted on . I am posting

this to the site because I think it is important for all of us to

stand up for our rights. Scroll down to read from the beginning...

Your response is amazing to me. Yes, it is true that they have

vegetarian options, but they are no longer a vegetarian restaurant.

This is huge. There are tons of restaurants for carnivores. We

should have one or two vegetarian restaurants to go to. I compromise

myself regulary by going to meaty restaurants where there may be one

or two vegetarian choices if I am lucky, while I sit around watching

others gnaw flesh, knowing that my veggie burger was grilled

alongside the hamburgers, bacon, etc. Never do carnivores have to

make these sacrifices to eat with us. It is important for us to

stand up for ourselves. It is a form of discrimination, and if you

do not speak up then you are colluding with them. I was thrilled to

have a quality vegetarian establishment in the area, and it is a huge

loss for all vegetarians. So, feel free to be complacent, but I will

not be. I am tired of the discrimination, the compromises, the

judgement of others. So, it is not just a loss for me, but for all

vegetarians, because it speaks to the larger issue of bowing under

the pressure of oppression.

Juanita Frick <jfrick wrote: I took a look at the

menu on the website and I see that there are still a

lot of vegetarian entrees, much, much more than the usual restaurant.

I

think they are still an option for vegetarians, at least this one

(me).

Nita

At 09:15 AM 11/5/2004, Starrose wrote:

>Greetings Southbay Veggies.

>

>I am very disappointed to find out about the changes to Stoa's menu.

I

>have enjoyed their restaurant very much in the past. So, I decided

to

>write to them about my feelings, and you can, too at

>info. I think it is important for them to know

that we

>are upset and that they will likely be losing loyal customers

because of

>the change. So, please take a moment to let them know how you feel...

>

>Stacy

>

>Tammy wrote:

>

> " It's sad to report that with Stoa's recent move to their new

downtown

>location they have added fish to the menu and dropped many favorite

vegan

>options. "

>

>

>While I respect that the business owners can make decisions

regarding

>their business, to be a veggie or not, I think their description on

their

>website is unclear that they are no longer a vegetarian restaurant

(which

>can be significant to vegetarians!)

>

>On the homepage, it says they serve " creative vegetarian fare " . If

you

>select the " menu " page, it says " Stoa is a wonderful upscale

vegetarian

>dining experience " . If there is anything in the narrative that says

they

>now serve animals, then I missed it.

>

>The menu tells the story clearly enough -- mussels, clams, salmon,

crab,

>lobster, tuna, scallops, sole, etc.

>

>If they can update the menu, I don't understand why they didn't

update the

>rest of the website. :-(

>

>People who are vegetarian do not eat sea animals, and restaurants

that are

>vegetarian do not serve sea animals.

>http://www.bayareaveg.org/articles/But_you_eat_Fish_don%27t_you.htm

>

>Tammy

>

>Bay Area Veg -- food, fun & fellowship -- http://www.BayAreaVeg.org

>

I hope it's okay for me to throw in my two cents. I don't mean to offend or

attack anyone, just give what I think is somewhat of a different opinion.

I would think that the restaurant changed out of economic necessity. Many

restaurants that start out vegetarian end up adding meat to avoid going out

of business. Calling them and complaining about something that

probably/possibly cannot control, might just make them dislike vegetarians.

I would suggest that you tell them which of the vegetarian menu items you

miss and you hope that they will bring them back.

Another point to consider:

If we are going to spread vegetarianism (which I may be falsely assuming is

the goal here) to the rest of society, we have to take part in society.

Someone who eats meat twice a day must find it pretty bizarre to come across

vegetarians who feel that they cannot be in the same room as meat or eat

from the same grill as that which has cooked meat, and I think *whenever

possible* (we probably can't always succeed but we should when it's not

really going to hurt us; each of us has decide for ourselves, of course,

what does and does not hurt us) we should try not to seem bizarre to people

we would like to influence.

Jack

> This is an email exchange posted on . I am posting

> this to the site because I think it is important for all of us to

> stand up for our rights. Scroll down to read from the beginning...

>

> Your response is amazing to me. Yes, it is true that they have

> vegetarian options, but they are no longer a vegetarian restaurant.

> This is huge. There are tons of restaurants for carnivores. We

> should have one or two vegetarian restaurants to go to. I compromise

> myself regulary by going to meaty restaurants where there may be one

> or two vegetarian choices if I am lucky, while I sit around watching

> others gnaw flesh, knowing that my veggie burger was grilled

> alongside the hamburgers, bacon, etc. Never do carnivores have to

> make these sacrifices to eat with us. It is important for us to

> stand up for ourselves. It is a form of discrimination, and if you

> do not speak up then you are colluding with them. I was thrilled to

> have a quality vegetarian establishment in the area, and it is a huge

> loss for all vegetarians. So, feel free to be complacent, but I will

> not be. I am tired of the discrimination, the compromises, the

> judgement of others. So, it is not just a loss for me, but for all

> vegetarians, because it speaks to the larger issue of bowing under

> the pressure of oppression.

>

> Juanita Frick <jfrick wrote: I took a look at the

> menu on the website and I see that there are still a

> lot of vegetarian entrees, much, much more than the usual restaurant.

> I

> think they are still an option for vegetarians, at least this one

> (me).

>

> Nita

>

>

>

> At 09:15 AM 11/5/2004, Starrose wrote:

>>Greetings Southbay Veggies.

>>

>>I am very disappointed to find out about the changes to Stoa's menu.

> I

>>have enjoyed their restaurant very much in the past. So, I decided

> to

>>write to them about my feelings, and you can, too at

>>info. I think it is important for them to know

> that we

>>are upset and that they will likely be losing loyal customers

> because of

>>the change. So, please take a moment to let them know how you feel...

>>

>>Stacy

>>

>>Tammy wrote:

>>

>> " It's sad to report that with Stoa's recent move to their new

> downtown

>>location they have added fish to the menu and dropped many favorite

> vegan

>>options. "

>>

>>

>>While I respect that the business owners can make decisions

> regarding

>>their business, to be a veggie or not, I think their description on

> their

>>website is unclear that they are no longer a vegetarian restaurant

> (which

>>can be significant to vegetarians!)

>>

>>On the homepage, it says they serve " creative vegetarian fare " . If

> you

>>select the " menu " page, it says " Stoa is a wonderful upscale

> vegetarian

>>dining experience " . If there is anything in the narrative that says

> they

>>now serve animals, then I missed it.

>>

>>The menu tells the story clearly enough -- mussels, clams, salmon,

> crab,

>>lobster, tuna, scallops, sole, etc.

>>

>>If they can update the menu, I don't understand why they didn't

> update the

>>rest of the website. :-(

>>

>>People who are vegetarian do not eat sea animals, and restaurants

> that are

>>vegetarian do not serve sea animals.

>>http://www.bayareaveg.org/articles/But_you_eat_Fish_don%27t_you.htm

>>

>>Tammy

>>

>>Bay Area Veg -- food, fun & fellowship -- http://www.BayAreaVeg.org

>>

>

BAY AREA VEGETARIANS (BAV) is a community group for veggies to network

> & find support.

>

> Event Calendar, Charter, FAQ and More!

> http://www.bayareaveg.org/

>

> Bookmark this page! Don't miss local events!

> http://www.bayareaveg.org/events.php

>

My unsolicited 2 cents: I did write to them to express my disappointment. We went to Stoa regularly and loved their weekend brunch. Best brunch ever!!! I think it's important restaurants here our voice, but I also think it's important to be realistic. I will most likely go to Stoa again, but I also won't hesitate to encourage them to increase vegan options, etc.

I remember reading about a Sees candy store in a neighborhood that was supposed to close. The community didn't want it to happen, and they wrote and called and pleaded and begged (people literally got down on their knees begging the owners not to close). Now, I'm not saying that it's that healthy to want a candy store to stay open that badly :) but I am saying that our voice is valuable, too. So, if we do express our feelings to Stoa, we should do so respectfully.

Also, if veg or near-veg restaurants need more support, we need to patronize them. There's a great near-vegetarian Italian restaurant in Berkeley that serves sea animals. I don't know of any upscale Italian veg restaurant, and if I have the choice of going to (or bringing family members) to a traditional Italian restaurant or a near-veg Italian restaurant, I'm choosing the latter. And I will tell them WHY I support them.

Finally, Stoa has assured me (and others) that fish is cooked in a separate grill.

We do have a voice, and we should use it. But we can also influence non-veg and near-veg restaurants to change. Perhaps our buycott of them will help them financially enough to return back to veg. Just a thought.

Colleen

-

Jack Norris

Friday, November 05, 2004 11:21 AM

Re: Stoa restaurant

I hope it's okay for me to throw in my two cents. I don't mean to offend or attack anyone, just give what I think is somewhat of a different opinion.I would think that the restaurant changed out of economic necessity. Many restaurants that start out vegetarian end up adding meat to avoid going out of business. Calling them and complaining about something that probably/possibly cannot control, might just make them dislike vegetarians. I would suggest that you tell them which of the vegetarian menu items you miss and you hope that they will bring them back.Another point to consider:If we are going to spread vegetarianism (which I may be falsely assuming is the goal here) to the rest of society, we have to take part in society. Someone who eats meat twice a day must find it pretty bizarre to come across vegetarians who feel that they cannot be in the same room as meat or eat from the same grill as that which has cooked meat, and I think *whenever possible* (we probably can't always succeed but we should when it's not really going to hurt us; each of us has decide for ourselves, of course, what does and does not hurt us) we should try not to seem bizarre to people we would like to influence.Jack> This is an email exchange posted on . I am posting> this to the site because I think it is important for all of us to> stand up for our rights. Scroll down to read from the beginning...>> Your response is amazing to me. Yes, it is true that they have> vegetarian options, but they are no longer a vegetarian restaurant.> This is huge. There are tons of restaurants for carnivores. We> should have one or two vegetarian restaurants to go to. I compromise> myself regulary by going to meaty restaurants where there may be one> or two vegetarian choices if I am lucky, while I sit around watching> others gnaw flesh, knowing that my veggie burger was grilled> alongside the hamburgers, bacon, etc. Never do carnivores have to> make these sacrifices to eat with us. It is important for us to> stand up for ourselves. It is a form of discrimination, and if you> do not speak up then you are colluding with them. I was thrilled to> have a quality vegetarian establishment in the area, and it is a huge> loss for all vegetarians. So, feel free to be complacent, but I will> not be. I am tired of the discrimination, the compromises, the> judgement of others. So, it is not just a loss for me, but for all> vegetarians, because it speaks to the larger issue of bowing under> the pressure of oppression.>> Juanita Frick <jfrick wrote: I took a look at the> menu on the website and I see that there are still a> lot of vegetarian entrees, much, much more than the usual restaurant.> I> think they are still an option for vegetarians, at least this one> (me).>> Nita>>>> At 09:15 AM 11/5/2004, Starrose wrote:>>Greetings Southbay Veggies.>>>>I am very disappointed to find out about the changes to Stoa's menu.> I>>have enjoyed their restaurant very much in the past. So, I decided> to>>write to them about my feelings, and you can, too at>>info. I think it is important for them to know> that we>>are upset and that they will likely be losing loyal customers> because of>>the change. So, please take a moment to let them know how you feel...>>>>Stacy>>>>Tammy wrote:>>>>" It's sad to report that with Stoa's recent move to their new> downtown>>location they have added fish to the menu and dropped many favorite> vegan>>options. ">>>>>>While I respect that the business owners can make decisions> regarding>>their business, to be a veggie or not, I think their description on> their>>website is unclear that they are no longer a vegetarian restaurant> (which>>can be significant to vegetarians!)>>>>On the homepage, it says they serve "creative vegetarian fare". If> you>>select the "menu" page, it says "Stoa is a wonderful upscale> vegetarian>>dining experience". If there is anything in the narrative that says> they>>now serve animals, then I missed it.>>>>The menu tells the story clearly enough -- mussels, clams, salmon,> crab,>>lobster, tuna, scallops, sole, etc.>>>>If they can update the menu, I don't understand why they didn't> update the>>rest of the website. :-(>>>>People who are vegetarian do not eat sea animals, and restaurants> that are>>vegetarian do not serve sea animals.>>http://www.bayareaveg.org/articles/But_you_eat_Fish_don%27t_you.htm>>>>Tammy>>>>Bay Area Veg -- food, fun & fellowship -- http://www.BayAreaVeg.org>>>>>>>>>> BAY AREA VEGETARIANS (BAV) is a community group for veggies to network> & find support.>> Event Calendar, Charter, FAQ and More!> http://www.bayareaveg.org/>> Bookmark this page! Don't miss local events!> http://www.bayareaveg.org/events.php>

While some vegetarian restaurants may have made the decision to serve meat out of economic necessity, or gone out of business because they couldn't make it financially, I don't think it's because there is not enough business to support completely vegan or vegetarian establishments. When a restaurant does what they do well, they don't appear to suffer at all. As examples I would cite Millenium, Greens, Herbivore I and II, Golden Lotus, Golden Era, Cha Ya, VegiFood, and the Udupi Palace chain of vegetarian Indian restaurants. Some vegetarian restaurants and their ownership and staff just don't know how to make appealing food and/or serve their customers. Those listed above obviously aren't having that problem. I like to vote for my preference for my palate as well as not supporting cruelty and suffering by eating (almost) exclusively at vegetarian, or preferably vegan, restaurants. Those are the restaurants taking the risk of adhering

to their principles, beliefs, and values. It's no risk for a meat-serving establishment to offer vegetarian options--they don't need my support or business.

Bob GotchJack Norris <jacknorris wrote:

I hope it's okay for me to throw in my two cents. I don't mean to offend or attack anyone, just give what I think is somewhat of a different opinion.I would think that the restaurant changed out of economic necessity. Many restaurants that start out vegetarian end up adding meat to avoid going out of business. Calling them and complaining about something that probably/possibly cannot control, might just make them dislike vegetarians. I would suggest that you tell them which of the vegetarian menu items you miss and you hope that they will bring them back.Another point to consider:If we are going to spread vegetarianism (which I may be falsely assuming is the goal here) to the rest of society, we have to take part in society. Someone who eats meat twice a day must find it pretty bizarre to come across vegetarians who feel

that they cannot be in the same room as meat or eat from the same grill as that which has cooked meat, and I think *whenever possible* (we probably can't always succeed but we should when it's not really going to hurt us; each of us has decide for ourselves, of course, what does and does not hurt us) we should try not to seem bizarre to people we would like to influence.Jack> This is an email exchange posted on . I am posting> this to the site because I think it is important for all of us to> stand up for our rights. Scroll down to read from the beginning...>> Your response is amazing to me. Yes, it is true that they have> vegetarian options, but they are no longer a vegetarian restaurant.> This is huge. There are tons of restaurants for carnivores. We> should have one or two vegetarian restaurants to go to. I compromise> myself regulary

by going to meaty restaurants where there may be one> or two vegetarian choices if I am lucky, while I sit around watching> others gnaw flesh, knowing that my veggie burger was grilled> alongside the hamburgers, bacon, etc. Never do carnivores have to> make these sacrifices to eat with us. It is important for us to> stand up for ourselves. It is a form of discrimination, and if you> do not speak up then you are colluding with them. I was thrilled to> have a quality vegetarian establishment in the area, and it is a huge> loss for all vegetarians. So, feel free to be complacent, but I will> not be. I am tired of the discrimination, the compromises, the> judgement of others. So, it is not just a loss for me, but for all> vegetarians, because it speaks to the larger issue of bowing under> the pressure of oppression.>> Juanita Frick

<jfrick wrote: I took a look at the> menu on the website and I see that there are still a> lot of vegetarian entrees, much, much more than the usual restaurant.> I> think they are still an option for vegetarians, at least this one> (me).>> Nita>>>> At 09:15 AM 11/5/2004, Starrose wrote:>>Greetings Southbay Veggies.>>>>I am very disappointed to find out about the changes to Stoa's menu.> I>>have enjoyed their restaurant very much in the past. So, I decided> to>>write to them about my feelings, and you can, too at>>info. I think it is important for them to know> that we>>are upset and that they will likely be losing loyal customers> because of>>the change. So, please take a moment to let them know how you

feel...>>>>Stacy>>>>Tammy wrote:>>>>" It's sad to report that with Stoa's recent move to their new> downtown>>location they have added fish to the menu and dropped many favorite> vegan>>options. ">>>>>>While I respect that the business owners can make decisions> regarding>>their business, to be a veggie or not, I think their description on> their>>website is unclear that they are no longer a vegetarian restaurant> (which>>can be significant to vegetarians!)>>>>On the homepage, it says they serve "creative vegetarian fare". If> you>>select the "menu" page, it says "Stoa is a wonderful upscale> vegetarian>>dining experience". If there is anything in the narrative that says> they>>now serve animals, then I missed it.>>>>The

menu tells the story clearly enough -- mussels, clams, salmon,> crab,>>lobster, tuna, scallops, sole, etc.>>>>If they can update the menu, I don't understand why they didn't> update the>>rest of the website. :-(>>>>People who are vegetarian do not eat sea animals, and restaurants> that are>>vegetarian do not serve sea animals.>>http://www.bayareaveg.org/articles/But_you_eat_Fish_don%27t_you.htm>>>>Tammy>>>>Bay Area Veg -- food, fun & fellowship -- http://www.BayAreaVeg.org>>>>>>>>>> BAY AREA VEGETARIANS (BAV) is a community group for veggies to network> & find support.>> Event Calendar, Charter, FAQ and More!> http://www.bayareaveg.org/>> Bookmark this page! Don't miss local events!> http://www.bayareaveg.org/events.php>

I have to agree with Jack. It's likely they felt they could not sustain their business with the current menu. It's unfortunate, but it sounds like they are still wishing to provide a decent menu to vegetarians (and it is a huge bonus if they cook meat/veggie separately). I wish there were more all-veg restaurants, but we can't force a business to operate on principle alone. Probably most of us would close the restaurant before offering meat, but that would be our own financial/ethical decision to make. I could also not shop at Whole Foods because they sell meat and dairy, but actually, I am grateful to them for providing the options of veggie & organic.

This goes along with the other post about palm oil...the more we exclude ourselves and disrupt businesses that are actually trying to cater to our needs, we are only going to turn people way off the vegetarain concept. People think vegan diets are deprived as it is, we don't need to encourage the idea.

I think it really is an individual decision to dine at veg only or

omnivore restaurant.... and just underscores the importance of supporting

restaurants that do choose to be all veg. Obviously, all veg restaurants

have a smaller customer base supporting them and if veggies don't support

them, well, who will...

But what makes me most unhappy about this situation about Stoa's (and what

I said in my first post that sparked Stacy's response)

Stoa's is serving sea animals yet their website still " looks " like they

are a vegetarian restaurant.

I don't know why they updated their menu, but not the description. I did

email Stoa's yesterday and point this out, but did not receive a response.

We've all told people we're veg only to hear them ask " But you eat fish,

don't you? "

Thanks,

Tammy

People are already turned off by the "vegetarian concept". Sending a polite but honest email to a "vegetarian" restaurant letting them know how a customer feels about them offering meat is hardly a disruption of business.

Emily <ekpenne wrote:

I have to agree with Jack. It's likely they felt they could not sustain their business with the current menu. It's unfortunate, but it sounds like they are still wishing to provide a decent menu to vegetarians (and it is a huge bonus if they cook meat/veggie separately). I wish there were more all-veg restaurants, but we can't force a business to operate on principle alone. Probably most of us would close the restaurant before offering meat, but that would be our own financial/ethical decision to make. I could also not shop at Whole Foods because they sell meat and dairy, but actually, I am grateful to them for providing the options of veggie & organic.

This goes along with the other post about palm oil...the more we exclude ourselves and disrupt businesses that are actually trying to cater to our needs, we are only going to turn people way off the vegetarain concept. People think vegan diets are deprived as it is, we don't need to encourage the idea.

BAY AREA VEGETARIANS (BAV) is a community group for veggies to network & find support. Event Calendar, Charter, FAQ and More!http://www.bayareaveg.org/Bookmark this page! Don't miss local events!http://www.bayareaveg.org/events.php

Check out the new Front Page. www.

I don't have anything against a polite email letting them know we'd rather they not serve meat. I also agree with Tammy that they should not call themselves vegetarian and that it is a personal choice whether to dine or not dine at a non-veg establishment. I just heard some stronger language earlier about "discrimination" and "boycott" and I thought there was a lot of anger there that worried me. That's all.

Starrose <starrose64 wrote:

People are already turned off by the "vegetarian concept". Sending a polite but honest email to a "vegetarian" restaurant letting them know how a customer feels about them offering meat is hardly a disruption of business.

Emily <ekpenne wrote:

BAY AREA VEGETARIANS (BAV) is a community group for veggies to network & find support. Event Calendar, Charter, FAQ and More!http://www.bayareaveg.org/Bookmark this page! Don't miss local events!http://www.bayareaveg.org/events.php

Pre-emptive note - email below is not meant to imply I have anything against boycotts, just that I would pick my battles differently. Don't mean to offend anyone else's opinions.Emily <ekpenne wrote:

I don't have anything against a polite email letting them know we'd rather they not serve meat. I also agree with Tammy that they should not call themselves vegetarian and that it is a personal choice whether to dine or not dine at a non-veg establishment. I just heard some stronger language earlier about "discrimination" and "boycott" and I thought there was a lot of anger there that worried me. That's all.

Emily <ekpenne wrote:

Check out the new Front Page. www.BAY AREA VEGETARIANS (BAV) is a community group for veggies to network & find support. Event Calendar, Charter, FAQ and More!http://www.bayareaveg.org/Bookmark this page! Don't miss local events!http://www.bayareaveg.org/events.php

Along with that email, why not just inquire to their reasons for the change and we can all learn from this topic?

Also,..Re: economic hardship. True, palo alto may be affluent, but that didnt stop Bay Leaf in palo alto from teetering on closure either. Could be more perception...You can be quite wealthy, and if you believe choosing vegetarian options as restricting your choice, then animal food menu items will prevail. Also, if anything, the affluent tend more to eat as "kings and queens", to steal the term from Dr John McDougall, which is primarily animal foods.

2 more cents...

TimEmily <ekpenne wrote:

Emily <ekpenne wrote:

Check out the new Front Page. www.BAY AREA VEGETARIANS (BAV) is a community group for veggies to network & find support. Event Calendar, Charter, FAQ and More!http://www.bayareaveg.org/Bookmark this page! Don't miss local events!http://www.bayareaveg.org/events.php

Okay, Here's my 2 cents: If Stoa's was not doing well financially (and we don't know that for sure) it probably has more to do with the former location. For those of you who haven't been there, it was very much out of the way and hard to find. There was virtually no foot traffic in it's old location. You really had to know it was there to find it. I bet if they had given the vegetarian menu a chance at the new location they probably would have been very successful. Too bad they didn't bother to find out.

Warren