IndiaDivine.org

what to do with fur

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I like the idea of, in some way, giving back to the animals and using the fur rather than discarding it. One can donate the fur to local shelters to use as blankets or to wild animal sanctuaries to use for rehabilitation.

Cheers - Moya kitzcatzhatz <kitzcatzhatz wrote:

I heard a radio program on ethics not too long ago; specifically, they were discussing what to do with old fur coats etc. Someone said she'd used them to make teddy bears for her grandchildren, but the panel disagreed b/c then ppl would see them and want a fur teddy bear of their own. Other ideas were to donate them to a theatre group's costume department or send them to Alaska. I thought of something else, which was to just bury them in the backyard.--Candace , mcandrew4psych@a... wrote:> I called KIngs and Queens and a very articulate and polite gentleman told me > that Kings and Queens does not seek out animal furs. The furs they have were > "recycled Vintage clothing." I suggested that they stop selling animal furs. > He said, " Well what can these people do with them,

since they are old and > they don't want them?" I said one solution may be to discard the item or to > sell it and donate the money to the Humane Society or other animal rights > organizations...and claim a tax deduction. He then asked me about faux fur, and I > said as far as I knew that SBAV had no position on synthetic furs that did > not kill or abuse animals.> > He also said the store had received numerous calls about this matter. > Apparently we are getting through!!!> > Could we prepare a written statement for them of our position and what we > recommend to do with these old pieces of clothing?> > Michael McAndrew, Sacramento

A few years ago I had a funeral for donated fur coats and had them

buried at a pet cemetery. We even had a hearse and a cardboard casket

that held the coats. There were about 10 cars with funeral stickers in

the windshields that carpooled behind the hearse down to Prunedale to

the cemetery where we had a wonderful service and a beautiful donated

flower arrangement was placed on the grave along with a memorial sign

and concrete bench. Unfortunately, we got no media coverage. It would

have been great. The thing is, I prefer not to let people think that

fur keeps you warm, especially warmer than synthetics. That's why I'm

not in favor of donating to the homeless or other unfortunate humans.

Judy Jones

On Friday, January 14, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Moya Stone wrote:

> I like the idea of, in some way, giving back to the animals and using

> the fur rather than discarding it. One can donate the fur to local

> shelters to use as blankets or to wild animal sanctuaries to use for

> rehabilitation.

>  

> Cheers - Moya 

>

> kitzcatzhatz <kitzcatzhatz wrote:

>

>

>

> I heard a radio program on ethics not too long ago; specifically,

> they were discussing what to do with old fur coats etc. Someone said

> she'd used them to make teddy bears for her grandchildren, but the

> panel disagreed b/c then ppl would see them and want a fur teddy bear

> of their own. Other ideas were to donate them to a theatre group's

> costume department or send them to Alaska. I thought of something

> else, which was to just bury them in the backyard.--Candace

>

> , mcandrew4psych@a... wrote:

> > I called KIngs and Queens and a very articulate and polite

> gentleman told me

> > that Kings and Queens does not seek out animal furs. The furs they

> have were

> > " recycled Vintage clothing. " I suggested that they stop selling

> animal furs.

> > He said, " Well what can these people do with them, since they are

> old and

> > they don't want them? " I said one solution may be to discard the

> item or to

> > sell it and donate the money to the Humane Society or other animal

> rights

> > organizations...and claim a tax deduction. He then asked me about

> faux fur, and I

> > said as far as I knew that SBAV had no position on synthetic furs

> that did

> > not kill or abuse animals.

> >

> > He also said the store had received numerous calls about this

> matter.

> > Apparently we are getting through!!!

> >

> > Could we prepare a written statement for them of our position and

> what we

> > recommend to do with these old pieces of clothing?

> >

> > Michael McAndrew, Sacramento

BAY AREA VEGETARIANS (BAV) is a community group for veggies to

> network, find support and promote veganism.

>

> Event Calendar, Charter, FAQ, Ultimate Guide

> http://www.bayareaveg.org

>

Hi Judy -

I totally agree with you - I don't believe humans, unfortunate or otherwise, should benefit from animal products. But, since the fur is out there anyway, I don't mind other animals making some use of it.

Cheers - Moyajudy jones <isadoraduncan wrote:

A few years ago I had a funeral for donated fur coats and had them buried at a pet cemetery. We even had a hearse and a cardboard casket that held the coats. There were about 10 cars with funeral stickers in the windshields that carpooled behind the hearse down to Prunedale to the cemetery where we had a wonderful service and a beautiful donated flower arrangement was placed on the grave along with a memorial sign and concrete bench. Unfortunately, we got no media coverage. It would have been great. The thing is, I prefer not to let people think that fur keeps you warm, especially warmer than synthetics. That's why I'm not in favor of donating to the homeless or other unfortunate humans.Judy JonesOn Friday, January 14, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Moya Stone wrote:> I like the idea of, in some way, giving back to the animals

and using > the fur rather than discarding it. One can donate the fur to local > shelters to use as blankets or to wild animal sanctuaries to use for > rehabilitation.> > Cheers - Moya >> kitzcatzhatz wrote:>>>> I heard a radio program on ethics not too long ago; specifically,> they were discussing what to do with old fur coats etc. Someone said> she'd used them to make teddy bears for her grandchildren, but the> panel disagreed b/c then ppl would see them and want a fur teddy bear> of their own. Other ideas were to donate them to a theatre group's> costume department or send them to Alaska. I thought of something> else, which was to just bury them in the backyard.--Candace>> , mcandrew4psych@a... wrote:> > I called KIngs and Queens and a very articulate and

polite> gentleman told me> > that Kings and Queens does not seek out animal furs. The furs they> have were> > "recycled Vintage clothing." I suggested that they stop selling> animal furs.> > He said, " Well what can these people do with them, since they are> old and> > they don't want them?" I said one solution may be to discard the> item or to> > sell it and donate the money to the Humane Society or other animal> rights> > organizations...and claim a tax deduction. He then asked me about> faux fur, and I> > said as far as I knew that SBAV had no position on synthetic furs> that did> > not kill or abuse animals.> >> > He also said the store had received numerous calls about this> matter.> > Apparently we are getting through!!!> >> > Could we prepare a written statement for them of our position

and> what we> > recommend to do with these old pieces of clothing?> >> > Michael McAndrew, Sacramento>>>>>>

Opps, when I said 'shelters' I meant animal shelters, NOT homeless people shelters.

Moyajudy jones <isadoraduncan wrote:

A few years ago I had a funeral for donated fur coats and had them buried at a pet cemetery. We even had a hearse and a cardboard casket that held the coats. There were about 10 cars with funeral stickers in the windshields that carpooled behind the hearse down to Prunedale to the cemetery where we had a wonderful service and a beautiful donated flower arrangement was placed on the grave along with a memorial sign and concrete bench. Unfortunately, we got no media coverage. It would have been great. The thing is, I prefer not to let people think that fur keeps you warm, especially warmer than synthetics. That's why I'm not in favor of donating to the homeless or other unfortunate humans.Judy JonesOn Friday, January 14, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Moya Stone wrote:> I like the idea of, in some way, giving back to the animals

and using > the fur rather than discarding it. One can donate the fur to local > shelters to use as blankets or to wild animal sanctuaries to use for > rehabilitation.> > Cheers - Moya >> kitzcatzhatz wrote:>>>> I heard a radio program on ethics not too long ago; specifically,> they were discussing what to do with old fur coats etc. Someone said> she'd used them to make teddy bears for her grandchildren, but the> panel disagreed b/c then ppl would see them and want a fur teddy bear> of their own. Other ideas were to donate them to a theatre group's> costume department or send them to Alaska. I thought of something> else, which was to just bury them in the backyard.--Candace>> , mcandrew4psych@a... wrote:> > I called KIngs and Queens and a very articulate and

polite> gentleman told me> > that Kings and Queens does not seek out animal furs. The furs they> have were> > "recycled Vintage clothing." I suggested that they stop selling> animal furs.> > He said, " Well what can these people do with them, since they are> old and> > they don't want them?" I said one solution may be to discard the> item or to> > sell it and donate the money to the Humane Society or other animal> rights> > organizations...and claim a tax deduction. He then asked me about> faux fur, and I> > said as far as I knew that SBAV had no position on synthetic furs> that did> > not kill or abuse animals.> >> > He also said the store had received numerous calls about this> matter.> > Apparently we are getting through!!!> >> > Could we prepare a written statement for them of our position

and> what we> > recommend to do with these old pieces of clothing?> >> > Michael McAndrew, Sacramento>>>>>>