IndiaDivine.org

Supreme Vegan in Oakland (correction)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Oops, sorry, but for those interested -- the date for the special celebration at Supreme Vegan is NEXT week Sunday, the 24th.

===============

I visited the Supreme Vegan in Oakland yesterday. For those new to the list, no, this isn't a person, but a recently opened restaurant featuring 'soul food' in Oakland that had gotten good reviews from folks who tried it out. It is nice to have another vegan restaurant option in the East Bay that's not Asian-style food.

For folks who are considering going, just so you know, it's a very small restaurant with simple furnishings and menu to match. When we went, about half the menu items were available (but a full selection of pies). It is family run and I believe the owner is also the chef, and his brother is currently visiting and helping him out (but leaving at the end of this month). We found out that the family also owns Soul Vegetarian restaurants in Chicago and Atlanta.

As far as the food goes, the portions were ample and overall tasted good. I especially enjoyed the battered tofu sticks and the banana cream pie. The food is health-focused; for example, the only oil in the pies was in the crust.

They have a Daily dinner special. Yesterday's was mashed potatoes & gravy, greens, and carrots. I would recommend that you if you have a hankering for anything in particular, call ahead to find out what is available first.

More info on Supreme Vegan

http://www.bayareaveg.org/ug/display.htm?id=449

There is a special celebration next Sunday at Supreme Vegan. I can't remember the occasion, but it involves an all-you-can-eat buffet for $25 starting at 7:30 pm and going through midnight.

Cheers,

Tammy

Be Active with BAV! Join our new advocacy mailing list to make a difference..Free Restaurant Guide or Create Your Own - Monthly Event Calendar - Veggie Mentor ProgramCurrent Newsletter

Bay Area Vegetarians * www.BayAreaVeg.org

Guest guest

Soul Vegetarian on the south side of Chicago was/is terrific (at least it was through the '80s and early '90s---haven't been there since).

--Mark

Tammy, Bay Area Vegetarians [t] Sunday, April 17, 2005 11:19 AMBAV mail list Supreme Vegan in Oakland (correction)

[snip]

For folks who are considering going, just so you know, it's a very small restaurant with simple furnishings and menu to match. When we went, about half the menu items were available (but a full selection of pies). It is family run and I believe the owner is also the chef, and his brother is currently visiting and helping him out (but leaving at the end of this month). We found out that the family also owns Soul Vegetarian restaurants in Chicago and Atlanta.

[snip]