IndiaDivine.org

FUR is still at JCrew (was: good news!)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I just stopped in at the JCrew outlet in Gilroy to see if they had in-fact removed all fur items from their stores as I had seen announced. Well, they had jackets with fur trim. I couldn't get myself to go near them to see if they were "faux" or cruelty-infested, so I asked a sales person what the deal was and he didn't seem to know about JCrew's announcement. His response was "the only fur we have is fur-trimmed jackets." So, I told him I wouldn't shop there because they sell fur and left. Of course I should have followed up with a manager, but I was just upset. My hope is that since it was the outlet, JCrew sent their stock there to sell it off and then will not sell anymore after it sells out. But I just thought I'd let people know, in case they don't want money going to a company who is still making money off this type of cruelty. Peace, MelissaThea Langsam <thea_langsam wrote: According to Peta, J. Crew has announced that it will never again sell fur. Some of us wrote letters at BAV letter-writing parties asking J.Crew to stop selling fur. It's so wonderful to see our efforts, combined with others', making a difference!

Hi all, My apologies are in order if my last email sounded like it was minimizing PETA's victory of getting JCrew to stop selling fur. That was not my intention and I just wanted to clarify that I was not saying we should still be campaigning against them. We should be celebrating this victory, but I just don't feel comfortable supporting them until all the fur is removed from stores and thought others might feel the same. Peace, Melissa Melissa <soshalworker wrote: I just stopped in at the JCrew outlet in Gilroy to see if they had in-fact removed all fur items from their stores as I had seen announced. Well, they had jackets with fur trim. I

couldn't get myself to go near them to see if they were "faux" or cruelty-infested, so I asked a sales person what the deal was and he didn't seem to know about JCrew's announcement. His response was "the only fur we have is fur-trimmed jackets." So, I told him I wouldn't shop there because they sell fur and left. Of course I should have followed up with a manager, but I was just upset. My hope is that since it was the outlet, JCrew sent their stock there to sell it off and then will not sell anymore after it sells out. But I just thought I'd let people know, in case they don't want money going to a company who is still making money off this type of cruelty. Peace, Melissa

I happened to be at Gilroy today (ok, who am I

kidding? I was dragged kicking and screaming.

sigh....), and decided to stop by the J Crew store.

There were a few jackets there with what appeared to

be fur trim. I checked myself and the label clearly

said " Faux Fur " (made of polyester, I think). I

verified each of the styles of jackets visible in the

store, and they were all faux fur.

Consider it atonement for venturing into Gilroy at

this time of the year. I can still hear the cash

registers ringing in my ear....

Ajay

--- Melissa <soshalworker wrote:

> I just stopped in at the JCrew outlet in Gilroy

> to see if they had in-fact removed all fur items

> from their stores as I had seen announced. Well,

> they had jackets with fur trim. I couldn't get

> myself to go near them to see if they were " faux " or

> cruelty-infested, so I asked a sales person what the

> deal was and he didn't seem to know about JCrew's

> announcement. His response was " the only fur we have

> is fur-trimmed jackets. " So, I told him I wouldn't

> shop there because they sell fur and left. Of course

> I should have followed up with a manager, but I was

> just upset.

>

> My hope is that since it was the outlet, JCrew

> sent their stock there to sell it off and then will

> not sell anymore after it sells out.

>

> But I just thought I'd let people know, in case

> they don't want money going to a company who is

> still making money off this type of cruelty.

>

> Peace,

>

> Melissa

>

>

> Thea Langsam <thea_langsam wrote:

> According to Peta, J. Crew has announced that it

> will never again sell fur. Some of us wrote letters

> at BAV letter-writing parties asking J.Crew to stop

> selling fur. It's so wonderful to see our efforts,

> combined with others', making a difference!

>

>

>

>

>

>

I would strongly recommend that if you're going to express outrage at a shop for selling what appears to be fur, that you check the labels and verify that the products are real and not fake. If, as another poster suggests, the fur trim turns out to be fake, the staff later will have yet another excuse to dismiss vegans and animal rights advocates. It's likely that the salesperson you spoke with wasn't familiar with what materials were used, or couldn't tell the difference between fake and real fur trim.If anything, we should be actively supporting the sale of fake fur, even buying it ourselves, to promote it as a viable and marketable replacement to killing animals.On Dec 9, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Melissa wrote: I just stopped in at the JCrew outlet in Gilroy to see if they had in-fact removed all fur items from their stores as I had seen announced. Well, they had jackets with fur trim. I couldn't get myself to go near them to see if they were "faux" or cruelty-infested, so I asked a sales person what the deal was and he didn't seem to know about JCrew's announcement. His response was "the only fur we have is fur-trimmed jackets." So, I told him I wouldn't shop there because they sell fur and left. Of course I should have followed up with a manager, but I was just upset.   My hope is that since it was the outlet, JCrew sent their stock there to sell it off and then will not sell anymore after it sells out.   But I just thought I'd let people know, in case they don't want money going to a company who is still making money off this type of cruelty.   Peace,   MelissaThea Langsam <thea_langsam wrote: According to Peta, J. Crew has announced that it will never again sell fur.  Some of us wrote letters at BAV letter-writing parties asking J.Crew to stop selling fur.  It's so wonderful to see our efforts, combined with others', making a difference!      ____ BAY AREA VEGETARIANS (BAV) is a non-profit 501 ©(3) community organization for veggies to network, find support and promote veg*nism. Events Calendar - http://bayareaveg.org/events Newsletter - http://bayareaveg.org/news Veg Mentor Program - http://bayareaveg.org/mentor Ultimate Guide - http://bayareaveg.org/ug Veg Food Finder - http://www.bayareaveg.org/finder Charter & Post Guidelines - http://bayareaveg.org/charter Compassionate Living Program - http://www.bayareaveg.org/cl ____

Hi Melissa,

I just got the new jcrew catalog in the

mail and was surprised to find fur in it on pg. 37 (fox), pg. 18 (coyote) and pg.

9 (lamb). I was very surprised and upset when I saw this after reading your

email and hope this catalog came out before the announcement.

-Julia

On Behalf Of

Melissa

Saturday, December 10, 2005

10:42 AM

Thea Langsam; Bay Area AR

Network; Bay Area Veg

Re: FUR is

still at JCrew (was: good news!)

Hi all,

My apologies are in order if my last email

sounded like it was minimizing PETA's victory of getting JCrew to stop selling

fur. That was not my intention and I just wanted to clarify that I was

not saying we should still be campaigning against them.

We should be celebrating this victory, but I

just don't feel comfortable supporting them until all the fur is removed

from stores and thought others might feel the same.

Peace,

Melissa

Melissa <soshalworker

wrote:

I just stopped in at the JCrew outlet in Gilroy

to see if they had in-fact removed all fur items from their stores as I had

seen announced. Well, they had jackets with fur trim. I couldn't get myself to

go near them to see if they were " faux " or cruelty-infested, so

I asked a sales person what the deal was and he didn't seem to know about

JCrew's announcement. His response was " the only fur we have is

fur-trimmed jackets. " So, I told him I wouldn't shop there because they

sell fur and left. Of course I should have followed up with a manager, but