IndiaDivine.org

Horseback Riding

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Horses being kept in small pens isn't nice. Riding them is okay. It's good if they have a big fenced in area where they can run I guess. Keeping them their whole lives just so people can ride them for fun is kind of not nice though. That's the only lives they'll get.

Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at HotJobs

Guest guest

The only issue here is the freedom part. If animals can't comprehend freedom, or are safer without their freedom (which i am not agreeing with either count, just makin a point)(the safer without their freedom sounds slightly ironic and dictatorial); then they are fine where they are. Horses, as i know firsthand, are treated well by owners (mostly), and there are fewer horse abusers than domestic pet abusers. Many horses aren't kept to be ridden, too. This is an interesting subject I hadn't thought of before, being a horse owner. My horse is very well treated, and you never keep a horse in a small pen unless it has just given birth or is ill.

Malia

PS) If anyone wants pics of the new filly we have, write. I would be glad to share in our happiness.Karl Zehr <karlzehr wrote:

Horses being kept in small pens isn't nice. Riding them is okay. It's good if they have a big fenced in area where they can run I guess. Keeping them their whole lives just so people can ride them for fun is kind of not nice though. That's the only lives they'll get.

Guest guest

Malia,

You make interesting points. And did it read this right? Did you say most horses aren't kept to be ridden? As for the freedom point sounding dictatorial and ironic that's kind of how I feel which is why I was looking to hear others views and learn more as perhaps that isn't the case at all but right now that's my current view on the subject. Just wondering if I'm off my rocker or if someone might be able to share something that makes me thing otherwise (and you never know as I was a veg*n for 10 years then stopped. Went on a board to ask the question "why be veg*n?" and after several responses someone made a comment that made me do a complete 180* again back to veg*nism - point is, I am open to change which is why I ask others to share their views. Sometimes I change, sometimes I don't).

-DawnMillgard-Lewis Malia <maliamonstra wrote:

The only issue here is the freedom part. If animals can't comprehend freedom, or are safer without their freedom (which i am not agreeing with either count, just makin a point)(the safer without their freedom sounds slightly ironic and dictatorial); then they are fine where they are. Horses, as i know firsthand, are treated well by owners (mostly), and there are fewer horse abusers than domestic pet abusers. Many horses aren't kept to be ridden, too. This is an interesting subject I hadn't thought of before, being a horse owner. My horse is very well treated, and you never keep a horse in a small pen unless it has just given birth or is ill.

Malia

PS) If anyone wants pics of the new filly we have, write. I would be glad to share in our happiness.Karl Zehr <karlzehr wrote:

Guest guest

I suppose I didnt explain myself clearly. I know that MANY horses are not kept to be ridden.

MaliaDawn Lambrow <dclambrow wrote:

Malia,

You make interesting points. And did it read this right? Did you say most horses aren't kept to be ridden? As for the freedom point sounding dictatorial and ironic that's kind of how I feel which is why I was looking to hear others views and learn more as perhaps that isn't the case at all but right now that's my current view on the subject. Just wondering if I'm off my rocker or if someone might be able to share something that makes me thing otherwise (and you never know as I was a veg*n for 10 years then stopped. Went on a board to ask the question "why be veg*n?" and after several responses someone made a comment that made me do a complete 180* again back to veg*nism - point is, I am open to change which is why I ask others to share their views. Sometimes I change, sometimes I don't).

MaliaKarl Zehr <karlzehr wrote:

Guest guest

It wasn't the "many" or "most" I was asking about but the "not." Why are they kept then?Millgard-Lewis Malia <maliamonstra wrote:

I suppose I didnt explain myself clearly. I know that MANY horses are not kept to be ridden.

Malia,

Guest guest

Why are other animals kept?Dawn Lambrow <dclambrow wrote:

It wasn't the "many" or "most" I was asking about but the "not." Why are they kept then?Millgard-Lewis Malia <maliamonstra wrote:

Malia,

Guest guest

I don't know. I'm trying to figure that out as well. Most would say other "animals" are kept due to the "pet parent" enjoying their companionship and company. A horse can not obviously be kept in the home therefore, resonably thinking, for many, time spent with a pet not kept within the home would be far less than that of a "pet" kept in the actual home making companionship of a horse a little less likely a reason for keeping a horse. Also horses are much more expensive than your common household cat, dog, ferret, etc so it's terribly hard for me to accept that most people who keep horses don't, as you say, keep them for riding.Millgard-Lewis Malia <maliamonstra wrote:

Why are other animals kept?Dawn Lambrow <dclambrow wrote:

Malia,