#2 {ACT NOW!} LETTER to Veto HB 5029/Michigan/Dove Hunt

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

-

AnimalVoicesNews

Monday, June 14, 2004 8:30 PM

#2 {ACT NOW!} LETTER to Veto HB 5029/Michigan/Dove Hunt

AnimalVoicesAlert LETTER TO VETO House Bill 5029 TO ALLOW DOVE HUNTTake action ASAP!Permission granted to quote/forward/reprint/repost this Alert inwhole or in part with credit given to AnimalVoices

Info Sources: Kinship Circle <info

SOURCE OF INFORMATION:HUMANElines--- Issue 300---June 8, 2004humanelines (remove 2 spaces)http://www.humanelines.org/ http://www.detnews.com/2004/politics/0406/08/politics-177750.htm~~Please Personalize Sample Letter~~rewrite/Judy.Governor Jennifer M. GranholmP.O. Box 30013Lansing, Michigan 48909Ph: 517-335-7858Fax: 517-335-6863Web Email: http://www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7-168-21995-65331--,00.html

Re: VETO HOUSE BILL 5029 -- DO NOT PERMIT DOVE HUNTDear Governor Granholm:While I am not a presently a Michigan resident, I am writing because I care about mourning doves no matter where are and you have an opportunity to save them.

ORAs a registered Michigan resident, I am writing to you because I am greatly concerned about mourning doves.Please veto House Bill 5029 and any legislation that permits a mourning dove hunting season in Michigan. You promised to reject any measures to allow the shooting of mourning doves during your campaign. Will uphold this promise?As you know, H.B. 5029 reclassifies these once protected birds as a "game" species. There is no compelling incentive to erase immunity dating back to 1905 -- especially as doves are shot primarily to improve target skills. Objects at a shooting range,could easily replace living creatures.Mourning doves are gentle, ground-feeding songbirds who mate monogamously and bond for life. When the hunter's bullet misses a vital organ such as the lungs or heart

(which occurs 20-30% of the time) wounded birds suffer a prolonged death.Mourning dove hunting serves no wildlife management purpose. Doves are not considered a "nuisance" species with resultant property, or crop damage. In fact, they assist farmers by consuming weed seeds on the ground. Finally, the danger of toxic lead shot to the environment and animals is well documented in research literature. Do not allow this to happen to Michigan.Doves have been protected as songbirds for nearly 100 years and have been designated Michigan's Official Bird of Peace. They deserve your protection now.Please veto H.B. 5029. Sincerely,