IndiaDivine.org

FW: DawnWatch: Interesting Huffington Post blog, Humane Meat: A Contradiction in Terms. 7/31/07

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Animal advocates who have received DawnWatch for a while know that DawnWatchstrongly supports welfare improvements for farm animals while at the same timeencouraging a gentle move towards a plant-based diet as the most compassionatechoice. I am therefore delighted to share Bruce Friedrich's current blog on thepopular Huffington Post site.

Headed, "Humane Meat: A Contradiction in Terms." Friedrich asks three questions:"First, is there such a thing as truly 'humane meat'? Second, would consumingonly humane meat satisfy the demands of ethical living? And third, do we, asindividuals, have good reason to promote 'humane meat' rather thanvegetarianism?"

He also asks and comments,"Would you be willing to cut an animal's throat? For most of us, taking ananimal's life is anathema; we just wouldn't do it. Of course, all of us couldspend an afternoon shucking corn, watch a cornfield being tilled, or take partin every other aspect of getting plant foods to the table .

"But how many of us could spend an afternoon cutting animals' throats, or evenwatching it? And then ask yourself in what other areas of your life do you payothers to do things you find too repulsive? And how ethical is it to pay someoneto do things that are wholly unnecessary and too atrocious to watch?"

Friedrich makes a point with which I concur: "I want to be clear that, as I'veargued before, working for improved living and dying conditions for farmedanimals is a critical element in the animal rights movement, and I spend a largeportion of my time, day in and day out, working to change the way animals areraised and slaughtered. Victories like the banning of gestation crates inOregon, Arizona, and Florida are real victories for animals."

He makes further points and then goes on to end with:"But for individuals who care about cruelty, vegetarianism is the only choice.Vegetarianism makes a statement against oppression at every meal. It isincredibly fulfilling to know that, where you can, you are promoting practicesthat are kind rather than cruel, and helping to create a society that islife-giving, rather than life-taking.

"Remember, it's not a matter of putting animals ahead of human beings .Vegetarian advocates are simply suggesting that meat-eaters not ignore theconcerns of animals entirely by dining on their corpses.

"It's not that much to ask, and lives are depending on you."

Some people on this list will agree, others will not. But anybody who caresabout animal suffering should read this sensitive article and post a comment atthe bottom of the page so that Huffington Post knows that these issues areimportant to readers.

Read the entire piece at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-friedrich/humane-meat-a-contradict_b_58547.html, then take a moment to register and comment.

Yours and the animals',Karen Dawn

(DawnWatch is an animal advocacy media watch that looks at animal issues in themedia and facilitates one-click responses to the relevant media outlets. You canlearn more about it, and sign up for alerts at http://www.DawnWatch.com. You mayforward or reprint DawnWatch alerts if you do so unedited -- leave DawnWatch inthe title and include this parenthesized tag line. If somebody forwardsDawnWatch alerts to you, which you enjoy, please help the list grow by signingup. It is free.) See what you’re getting into…before you go there