IndiaDivine.org

The Bay Area has some new (little) vegetarians...we have pictures to prove it.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

This past Wednesday night Bay Area Vegetarians hosted their first cooking class at the Manzanita Community Center in Marin City (near Sausalito).  It was a smashing success, and we’ll be having more!

We had a lot of kids and teens, and a few adults.  About 20 joined us for the entire class and another 20 came and went throughout the evening.  We gave out lots of vegetarian literature, Chew On This DVD’s and of samples of veg food.

Because it was a young crowd, we offered “comfort foods.”  Chickenless nuggets, BBQ riblets, Tings, spaghetti with meatballs, and chocolate pudding.  Everyone loved it and asked for seconds, and for the recipes.  The kids asked all sorts of questions about animals, tofu, fake meat, milk, fish and even KFC.  The negative health effects of meat and dairy were discussed—in rather graphic detail, I thought, but these were kids so bodily functions were top on the list of Interesting Things To Talk About.  The adults in the room were concerned with their heart disease and weight and low energy.  The kids were worried about the animals and being thin and healthy. 

Everyone took home recipes, Vegetarian Starter Kits, and Chew On This DVD’s.  We also had PETA2 literature and PETA World literature.  It all got snapped up.  One of the managers of the center was so impressed that he asked for all the left-over literature to keep in his office and hand out to kids—he said, “Kids need to see this!”  He also said, “I’m going to start eating vegetarian once or twice a week.  I didn’t know it was so good!”

The adults all stuck around after class, talking about how they were going to start eating veg meals One man, a boxing instructor for the center, decided to go vegan right then!  It was just great.  Many of them either knew a vegetarian, or knew of the issues—but they had never explored veg food because they were afraid of the food.  This class opened their minds.  The kids all had a very positive vegetarian experience, as well.  Now they know veg food is yummy and that meat is made from animals.  And that you should never, ever turn on a food processor when the lid is off.

The class went so well that the center has asked us to come back.  They would take us every week, if we could do it!  I agreed to once a month.  They will keep a stack of veg literature handy in the main office, and it’s a busy place—100 kids a day, and their parents, use the center. 

I think it’s one more of the most effective advocacy events I’ve been involved with.  No “preaching to the choir” this time—all new people, which is just what we had hoped for.  The kids of today are the Moms and Dads of tomorrow, who will be making consumer decisions for their families.  Pictures are on the BAV website:

http://www.bayareaveg.org/gallery2/main.php

(My favorite is the little boy, Jeremiah, mesmerized by the food processor. His t-shirt is covered with PETA stickers. After the class he ran all over the center shouting, “I’m a vegetarian! I’m a vegetarian and I love animals! I am not a nugget!”)

Chris, Tammy and Lidia volunteered for all the organizing work. Oliver was the photographer and I volunteered my time as the chef.   The Community Center donated the space.  Can you help us pay for ingredients?  We would love to reach a new group of kids and adults every month in Marin City, but BAV could use some help paying for the ingredients.  I always keep the recipes as cheap as I can.  This food is turning people vegetarian, so a donation to BAV is a wonderful way to help animals who are suffering, right now, in factory farms and slaughterhouses.  BAV’s busy season is coming up—big events like Pride, Haight Street Fair, World Farm Animals Day, etc.  All of these events involve volunteer labor and expenses for food samples and literature.  If you can help with the money part, we’ll put your donation to good use!

You can donate here:

http://bayareaveg.org/donate.htm

When we have dates for the next Marin City cooking class we’ll post them here.  Please encourage your friends and families to attend if they:

*Have kids who love animals

*Have kids with health problems

*Are kids

*Are adults who might be compassionate, but just don’t know how to go about it

Next class will be Mexican foods, and will be taught in the Community Center kitchen so it can be “hands on.”  The kids will roll burritos and the adults will do exciting things with sharp knives and hot sauté pans.  If you’re interested in volunteering, please let us know.

Thanks!

Alex

If you want to be re-inspired to donate, volunteer, attend a class or encourage others to attend, I highly recommend watching Meet Your Meat:

www.meetyourmeat.com

Guest guest

Dear Alex, It is great to hear that your first cooking class at the Manzanita Community Center went so well! I am very interested in working with you or offering a cooking class specifically on vegan baking. It seems that many people say "I could be a vegan, but I could never give up cookies, cakes, and ice-cream." When I became a vegan 3 years ago my husband was very sad, and said "now we can never eat desserts together again." My aunt said "you've taken all the joy out of life." As we all know, this is completely false. I've spent the last 3 years perfecting my vegan baking skills and have proven to friends and family "we can find joy without exploiting animals." Please let me know if you would be willing to provide a cooking class specifically on vegan baking in Marin. If not, I could offer a cooking class at my home in beautiful Mill Valley atop the Redwood trees.Take careChristine

Christine Dickson, Ph.D., Director Center for WorkLife Management San Francisco, California Office: 415-383-7949 Mobile: 858-722-5841 www.worklifemanagement.org cdickson