IndiaDivine.org

join me at Ashkenaz tonight for Aphrodesia!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Folks. Anyone interested in joining me to check out and dance to an Aphro-Beat band at Ashkenaz in Berkeley? I'll be heading there tonight (Friday) around 9:30 or 10, to see the band Aphrodesia. Here's a blurb about this group: Fresh off a groundbreaking tour of Africa, San Francisco’s 11-member Afrobeat band Aphrodesia is creating quite an international storm. “The news filtered in like a joke. That almost an all-white Afrobeat musical band from San Francisco would be in the New Afrika Shrine for a live performance... It was difficult resisting the urge to write them off as a bunch of unserious white men about to mess themselves up in Lagos, Nigeria, the birthplace of Afrobeat, all in the name of playing Afrobeat to us” begins a feature article in Lagos’ Independent. But “the over 3,000 Afrika Shrine enthusiasts who watched them could not help but dance and swing” to the rhythms of the

“simply fantastic” Americans. Aphrodesia plays music rooted in Nigerian revolutionary Fela Kuti’s style and adds Latin swing (from Cuba to Brazil) and reggae to it. According to the S.F. Bay Guardian, “Vocalist Lara Maykovich adds a steamy sensuality not found in Kuti’s aggressive chants.” Setting off the vocals with insistent percussion and funky horns, tonight‘s show is sure to feature tracks from the new release “Aphrodesia Live – Rough and Funny.” www.aphrodesia.org Or his a link to more info about the band (scroll down) or how to get to Ashkenaz. http://www.ashkenaz.com/html/list.php#1208 It's really easy to get there from the city and there's lots of parking. I can probably offer a ride from the city. Call me if you are intersted in joining. My # is

415-317-4771. And don't forget Saturday night's gathering at The Other Cinema on Valencia Jeff

Stay in the know. Pulse on the new .com. Check it out.