IndiaDivine.org

RE: in need of protein? DAIRY POTEIN - CANCER connection!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Lacto-veggies TAKE NOTE!!

Sam replied to me privately, and his list of books and articles was almost identical to mine, so I re-read his statement, and it seems that I misread it. But, Sam, imho it's a less than useless statement to make....it's like saying "Hey, did you know that our bodies already have a huge amount of water built-in---very little comes from our diet", which likely would often be interpreted as "Heck, I guess I don't need to worry about whether or not I'm drinking enough water each day!"

BUT MORE IMPORTANT, I learned something life-changing (why I love lists such as this one!!)....I had ignored Sam's cancer comment, but as part of wanting to respond to Sam, I pulled T. Colin Campbell's "The China Study" off the shelf (bought it a year ago and haven't yet read it). I remember reviews of the study many years ago, but those reviews usually mentioned CHD (cardiovascular heart disease) findings, not cancer.

So, anyway, looking for a protein-needs discussion, I went to Chapter 2 - A House of Proteins, which lead me to the next chapter, Turning Off Cancer. Absolutely shocking. Casein (cow milk protein) and other animal proteins in high doses (i.e., in an excess of the amount of dietary protein needed to satisfy the body's growth rate) "pulls the trigger" of cancer promotion, that is, turns it on, but low doses of animal protein do not. Further, plant proteins do NOT promote cancer even in high doses (Sam, you didn't mention this fact). Even further, the cancer was turned off and on by reducing/raising the animal protein. And all of this non-human animal research was essentially confirmed with the landmark human China Study.

OK, it's late, I'll stop. Aren't some list readers currently reading this book in one or more book clubs? Does anyone care to comment?

To summarize, given that it's unlikely that American lacto-vegetarians (even in the Bay Area) are eating a low-protein diet, it seems to be a huge cancer risk to continue eating the dairy (and eggs). At the very least, I hope that you'll consider reading this book. I know I'll be giving it to a loved one who has cancer and is still an omnivore.

--Mark

Guest guest

Mark Kurowski wrote:

>

> To summarize, given that it's unlikely that American

> lacto-vegetarians (even in the Bay Area) are eating a low-protein

> diet, it seems to be a huge cancer risk to continue eating the dairy

> (and eggs). At the very least, I hope that you'll consider reading

> this book. I know I'll be giving it to a loved one who has cancer

> and is still an omnivore.

Did they ask you for the book? If not, I would consider that really

really insensitive. Kind of like " Here, here's something that shows

you're to blame for your illness! "

Serene

Guest guest

Dear Mark and All,Isn't amazing how sometimes we already have everything we need, like wisdom, within us (or on the bookshelf:-) Yes, it has always surprised me that many people choose to consciously change their diet to a for health, environmental, or animal reasons and continue to eat dairy.Please accept my apology for my omission of a full discussion of plant protein, again it is surprising to me that people who consciously change their diet to a for health, environmental, or animal reasons are unaware of this.It is difficult to know what people are aware of.Just to be clear, we need about 8 percent of our energy needs from protein this includes about 30 percent margin of "safety" considered by some to be unnecessarily high and overly in influenced by the meat and dairy industries.Almost all food gets more than 8 percent of energy from protein, exceptions being fruit (5 percent) and many junk foods.  People often fear they need more protein, when in reality often people are getting much more than they need. Peace,samsamhalsey(415) 309-1879On Apr 25, 2007, at 7:29 AM, Mark Kurowski wrote:Lacto-veggies TAKE NOTE!! Sam replied to me privately, I re-read his statement, and it seems that I misread it. BUT MORE IMPORTANT, I learned something life-changing (why I love lists such as this one!!)....I had ignored Sam's cancer comment, but as part of wanting to respond to Sam, I pulled T. Colin Campbell's "The China Study" off the shelf (bought it a year ago and haven't yet read it).  I remember reviews of the study many years ago, but those reviews usually mentioned CHD (cardiovascular heart disease) findings, not cancer.  --Mark

Guest guest

Serene, thanks for your thought! I suppose I look at it as saying, "Here's some information that for various political, institutional, and capitalist reasons HAS BEEN KEPT FROM YOU AND EVERYONE but which might help your fight." The second half of the book discusses why this information hasn't been heard widely, so I'll digest those thoughts and try to use them in my discussion.

Two thoughts. First, someone off list has recommended that instead or in addition to The China Study, I give a book called "The Survivor's Handbook: Eating Right for Cancer Survival." That might help diffuse the awkwardness.

Second, I sort of feel that I'd rather risk pissing them off than having them live painfully and die decades early. Perhaps I'm selfish, I don't know....I want them around as long as possible (so long as life is pain-free and fun).

Thanks,

--Mark

Serene [serene-lists] Wednesday, April 25, 2007 8:32 AM

Mark Kurowski wrote:> I know I'll be giving it to a loved one who has cancer> and is still an omnivore.Did they ask you for the book? If not, I would consider that really really insensitive. Kind of like "Here, here's something that shows you're to blame for your illness!"Serene