IndiaDivine.org

Trip to Italy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Lena,

The coolest little book for travel or a visit to an ethnic restaurant where English might not be spoken is the Vegan Passport. And there is a page of Italian. There's a page for each language that I think covers 90% of the world's population, in about 38 languages including pictures. Better than pouring over a dictionary!

Check it out at http://www.vegetarianguides.co.uk/products/veganpassport.shtml

and you can also buy them from Portland's Food Fight Grocery and even Amazon as well as other U.S. locations. I got my original one from the UK in 6 days via mail.

Have a terrific trip. Lisa

In a message dated 4/28/07 9:57:33 PM, ymv0176 writes:

I am flying to Italy next week. Based on what I heard, most people don't speak English there and I don't speak any Italian, so it will be problematic to explain that I would like to get veggie meal.

I am planning to take a small English/Italian dictionary, but I would appreciate any additional suggestions. ************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

Guest guest

Hi, I am flying to Italy next week. Based on what I heard, most people don't speak English there and I don't speak any Italian, so it will be problematic to explain that I would like to get veggie meal. I am planning to take a small English/Italian dictionary, but I would appreciate any additional suggestions. I will spend a few days in Rome by myself, so if you know any vegan/vegetarian restaurants there, please send me their address. And I'll spend most time in Italy with my Family, so I will go to regular restaurants. And it would be great is somebody could recommend a veggie menu items in Rome, Florence and Venice. Thanks a lot, Lena

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

Perhaps someone on the list can translate a sentence or two NOW so that you can write it down and keep it with you at all times (or text it to your phone or whatever)....

--Mark

Guest guest

Hi Lena,

I was in Italy for 5 weeks a couple of years ago, and didn't

have too many problems sticking with my vegan diet.

Remember the phrase " Sensa Formaggio " it means without

cheese. You can also insert burro(butter) crema(cream) and

latte(milk) in for the formaggio. In Venice there was a

nice, cheap restaurant called Brek. We ate there several

times, and you could get pasta made to order for you, as

well as salads. Also, the pizza in Italy was wonderful, and

it was never problematic to order it without cheese.

I also found health food stores in both Venice and Florence.

They were stocked with soy/dairyless milks, seitan and tofu

meat alternatives as well as great whole grain breads made

with alternative flours like spelt (farro in Italian). As

long as you have a good Italian/English dictionary it is no

problem going into markets and looking up the ingredients to

see if they are vegan.

Also, regular supermarkets and delis were great I found for

picking up fresh veggies and fruit, bagged arugula, olives,

bread etc..

Another good dish to ask for in Italy is Spaghetti Aglio e

Olio, (spaghetti with garlic and olive oil) most restaurants

would be happy to make it for you I am sure, even if it is

not on the menu.

Remember to check out www.happycow.net for a listing of

veggie restaurants in Italy.

Most importantly, have a great time and enjoy the beauty of

Italy..I am sure you will!

Good luck,

Alyssa

Guest guest

Lena,

Here is a translation for some basic phrases that will come in handy for you. I highly recommend printing them out on a small piece of paper and taking it with you where ever you go. Simply show it to the your waitperson and you should have no problem. I was in Italy 3 years ago and that is what I did and it worked beautifully.

I am Vegetarian

Sono Vegetariana

I am vegan

Sono vegana

I don't eat meat, chicken or fish

Non mangio carne, ne pollo o pesce

I don't eat eggs, milk, butter, cheese or honey

Non mangio uova, latte, burro, formaggio o miele

In addition to this there are a few places I would highly recommend. First of all, In Rome you absolutely must go to Margutta Vegetariano Ristorante located at Via Margutta 118 near the Spanish Steps. This is one of the best vegetarian restaurants I have ever been to but the absolutely best time to go is for lunch when they have a huge buffet for only 15 euros which is an incredible deal (25 euros on Sunday)! http://www.ilmargutta.it/ The waitstaff will need to point out what is vegan but there are many, many vegan items. This place will blow you away! I promise.

Also Many gelato places in Rome and a few in Florence and Venice sell soy gelato. Just ask if they carry it. A few places even had soy whipped cream!

In Venice there is a very good Indian restaurant called Ganesh Ji located at Rio Marin 2426 S. Polo It's mixed but they are very accommodating to vegans.

My favorite place to grab food in Florence ended up being a very inexpensive falafel place called Amon located at Via Palazzuolo 26/28 r. Nothing fancy but very tasty and super cheap. I think it was only 3 Euros for a very filling falafel!

Italy is a beautiful place. You'll love it! Have fun.

Warren************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

Guest guest

Thank you very much for all the great suggestions! Ylena Veizman <ymv0176 wrote: Hi, I am flying to Italy next week. Based on what I heard, most people don't speak English there and I don't speak any Italian, so it will be problematic to explain that I would like to get veggie meal. I am planning to take a small English/Italian dictionary, but I would appreciate any additional suggestions. I will spend a few days in Rome by myself, so if you know any vegan/vegetarian restaurants there, please send me their address. And I'll spend most time in Italy with my Family, so I will go to regular restaurants. And it would be great is somebody could recommend a veggie menu items in Rome,

Florence and Venice. Thanks a lot, Lena Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos.

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.