IndiaDivine.org

Plavix for cat

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello all - My elderly cat has a heart condition for which I now have to give him the human medication PLAVIX. I've been getting it at Longs for $48.50 for 5 pills. Luckily I only give him 1/4 of a pill once a day. Still it's adding up quickly. I'm a Kaiser member, but they won't fill the prescription since I'm not the one taking the drug. I wonder if any of you have dealt with the same or similar situation and maybe know where I might find this medication for less. My vet knows nothing and thinks $48 is cheap, but he can afford such things since he charges $400 for an ultrasound. Anyway, I'm grateful that there is something out there prolonging my cat's life, but I want to at least do a little digging b/f I settled into such an expense. Thanks in advance. Cheers -

Moya

Our first duty to our little brothers and sisters, the animals, is never to do them any harm. Our responsibilities do not end there, however. We are obligated to help them whenever they require it. – Saint Francis

Shape in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!

Guest guest

Hi Moya:

Try Costco. You can check their prices online easily. One of my cats used

to take a human med, and it was cheaper from Costco than anywhere else. BTW,

you do not have to be a member to use the pharmacy only.

Good luck with your kitty,

Shelley

(Moya wrote:

My elderly cat has a heart condition for which I now have to give him the

human medication PLAVIX. I've been getting it at Longs for $48.50 for 5

pills. Luckily I only give him 1/4 of a pill once a day. Still it's adding

up quickly. I'm a Kaiser member, but they won't fill the prescription since

I'm not the one taking the drug.

Guest guest

The generic version of Plavix is called clopidogrel. A Canadian company was making the generic version last year which was cheaper but I believe it had to stop due to a lawsuit. However, you may still be able to find it in Canada and/or over the Internet. It wasn't dirt cheap but about 30% cheaper. Companies in Israel and India were also planning on coming out with generic versions but I'm not sure if that's already happened. Mexico may be another place where you can find it cheaper. I know many people who can't afford Plavix take aspirin. Not as effective but it also prevents blood clots like Plavix. You may want to discuss with your vet if your cat really needs Plavix, ie., what is the life expectancy that would be added with Plavix vs aspirin. The difference may be so small that you may decide it's not worth it. Moya Stone

<agathasprose wrote: Hello all - My elderly cat has a heart condition for which I now have to give him the human medication PLAVIX. I've been getting it at Longs for $48.50 for 5 pills. Luckily I only give him 1/4 of a pill once a day. Still it's adding up quickly. I'm a Kaiser member, but they won't fill the prescription since I'm not the one taking the drug. I wonder if any of you have dealt with the same or similar situation and maybe

know where I might find this medication for less. My vet knows nothing and thinks $48 is cheap, but he can afford such things since he charges $400 for an ultrasound. Anyway, I'm grateful that there is something out there prolonging my cat's life, but I want to at least do a little digging b/f I settled into such an expense. Thanks in advance. Cheers - Moya Our first duty to our little brothers and sisters, the animals, is never to do them any harm. Our responsibilities do not end there, however. We are obligated to help them whenever they require it. – Saint Francis Shape in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!

Need Mail bonding?Go to the Mail Q&A for great tips from Answers users.