IndiaDivine.org

vegans at Green Festival + food

Rate this topic

Guest guest

http://www.examiner.com/a-1043278~Green_exhibition_sprouting_a_following.html

there's a one liner below about vegans...

(Jason Steinberg/Special to The Examiner)Marika Kiewietdejonge, 3, paints during the San Francisco Green Festival, a joint project of Global Exchange and Co-Op America.

Nov 12, 2007 3:00 AM (18 hrs ago) by John Upton, The Examiner SAN FRANCISCO (Map, News) - After as many as 40,000 people visited an annual San Francisco showcase this weekend of green technology, healthy living and neighborhood environmentalism, organizers said they would try

to find a new and bigger venue for future events.

The Green Festival started six years ago in San Francisco, and it has since spread to Chicago, Seattle and Washington, D.C. Producer Greg Roberts on Sunday said that the three-day festival held at the San Francisco Concourse Exhibition Center was the biggest Green Festival yet.

Roberts said his group has already begun negotiations with City officials to find a bigger venue, though he expects to again use the Concourse Exhibition Center next year.

“We can’t get much bigger in the space that we have, because it’s pretty full all the time,” Roberts said. “There’s only one facility that’s larger than the Concourse in San Francisco, and that’s Moscone.”

More than 10,000 people squeezed into the convention center on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, paying $15 to meet local activists and shop for products marketed as ecologically responsible, including household cleaning agents, cell phone services, credit cards, baby hammocks, clothes, health insurance and skin care products.

Local and international speakers graced four stages, including mind-body medicine expert Deepak Chopra, ecoliteracy champion Fritjof Capra and human rights advocate Medea Benjamin, while singers and hip-hop artists entertained diners in an organic food hall.

Organic wine, beer, coffee and hemp-seed-imbued ice cream was sold and sampled, and vegans handed out advice for removing animals from diets. Environmental magazines sold subscriptions, and chiropractors tinkered with people’s spines.

A man adorned himself with plastic bags and shuffled between exhibitors, reminding people not to waste plastic bags.

Green Festival spokeswoman Rebecca Wisdom late Sunday said taht 96 percent of the weekend’s waste had been recovered for recycling. “It’s looking like a low impact event,” Wisdom said. “High impact on the community, but low impact on the landfill.”

jupton

==

the organic veg food booth are all vegan except for 2 items:

there's eggs on the gyoza skin (Japanese potstickers/dumpling) and egg on the Knish (potato pancakes)

=

hey, it's a stranger story,

People's donuts are still sold at PHiz coffee on 24th St and Herbivore but not at Rainbow due to "manufacturing" problems...

==

update

Petition for uncaged animals.... we are behind and have lots of go........

winnie

sign, Sunny

signature: sorry if my responses are short or I forgot to reply to your messages (pls remind me to respond). I can't spend too much time on emails now.

=="... I just have to remember that what's really dangerous isn't biking(or walking), it's sitting around. Not pedaling can kill you."-- Alan Durning, Gristmill blog entry, October 9, 2007

I love the Green Festival!! My favorite vegan find there this year was www.hungry-vegan.com -the most affordable delivered meal service I've seen (weekly prices include lunch and dinner each day). Haven't tried them yet, but the owner is a very nice, approachable woman. Anyone given them a try yet? Alison BowmanAlison Bowman Improviser on Page and Stage Visit Alison's Writer Website Bad Apple, Alison's human humor blog. Self Help for Cats, Alison's cat humor blog.

Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Mail. See how.

I enjoyed meeting her, too, but the price is too steep for me.---Dan

A Bowman wrote:

I love the Green Festival!! My favorite vegan find there this

year was www.hungry-vegan.com

-the most affordable delivered meal service I've seen (weekly

prices include lunch and dinner each day). Haven't tried them yet, but

the owner is a very nice, approachable woman. Anyone given them a try

yet?

Alison Bowman

Alison Bowman

Improviser on Page and Stage

Visit

Alison's Writer Website

Bad Apple, Alison's

human humor blog.

Self Help for Cats,

Alison's cat humor blog.

Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside

Mail. See

how.

aside from the price the idea that green consumerism is a going to

enable us as a species to survive on this planet and get us out of the

mess we are in is at best completely misguided. It dresses the problem

in different colours...Krikor "Ethical consumerism is mood music, rather than a re-engineering of the economy in a meaningful way."Andrew SimmsNew Economics FoundationCyberBrook <brookA Bowman <abowmanopl; Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:03:10 PMRe: Re:vegans at Green Festival + food

I enjoyed meeting her, too, but the price is too steep for me.---Dan

A Bowman wrote:

I love the Green Festival!! My favorite vegan find there this

year was www.hungry-vegan. com

-the most affordable delivered meal service I've seen (weekly

prices include lunch and dinner each day). Haven't tried them yet, but

the owner is a very nice, approachable woman. Anyone given them a try

yet?

Alison Bowman

Alison Bowman

Improviser on Page and Stage

Visit