IndiaDivine.org

My plea to you -- please read this re the HumaneCalifornia Campaign

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I’m one of thousands of volunteers signed up to work on the Humane California campaign and I’m rather surprised there are not more people actively working on this in the Bay Area. I have always been really impressed by the enthusiasm and energy of the Bay Area Veg & AR community(ies), so I kind of expected to see lots of you out there getting signatures for the ballot initiative. That doesn’t seem to be happening.

If passed, this initiative would save more than 20 million farm animals from tremendous suffering each year, as well as send a strong message across the country that egregious animal cruelty is unacceptable.

So far San Francisco (and the rest of California) is far behind on our signature goals. SF is supposed to be the most “animal-friendly” city in the United States, but we really need more people working on this campaign to get signatures.

So I’d like to ask everyone on this list to do SOMETHING to help this campaign, whether gathering signatures from their friends and family at least, or, even better, gathering signatures publicly. Yes, most of us have full-time jobs and not a lot of spare time. However, this is the season when people are getting together to exchange gifts, have family dinners, have holiday parties. It’s the PERFECT time to get signatures easily, without necessarily having to go out on a street corner. If you really want to make a huge difference for the campaign, please join me and others in gathering signatures publicly as well. Either way, if you haven’t already, PLEASE sign up for the campaign (http://www.humanecalifornia.org/ - then click on Volunteer). You don’t have to pledge to get 1,000 or 500 or 250 signatures (although that would be wonderful and greatly appreciated) – but at the very least, please sign up to get signatures of family, friends, coworkers (think of all the people you know – they add up). It’s very easy to do and if everyone on the list does just that, that could bring in tens of thousands of signatures, if not more.

In the next week the HumaneCalifornia campaign will be hosting meetings where new (and old) volunteers can meet other volunteers, find a buddy to go signature-gathering with, get tips on the best places to go and the best ways to get signatures. Check this CraigsList posting for details on where and when: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/vol/500000515.html

We’ve also got an active ; to join, please email:

sfhumanecalvols- .

Last but not least, please talk to everyone you know about the campaign, so that they’ll be more likely to stop and sign when they see us out there. Direct them to www.humanecalifornia.org.

Some people have expressed the concern that this doesn’t go far enough, but what is the alternative? The status quo? This initiative has an excellent chance to pass and to make a huge difference for millions of animals suffering on farms. Wouldn’t THEY want this to pass?

Let’s show everyone that the Bay Area is truly in the vanguard of activism and compassion! Thanks, everyone.

Nadine May

Hi all

>I’m rather surprised there are not more people actively working on this in the Bay Area. I have always been really impressed by the enthusiasm and energy of the Bay Area Veg & AR community(ies), so I

> kind of expected to see lots of you out there getting signatures for the ballot initiative. That doesn’t seem to be happening.

> SF is supposed to be the most “animal-friendly” city in the United States, but we really need more people working on this campaign to get signatures. I agree with Nadine -- people should get more involved! I am always amazed that so much gets done by so few people. And how much more could be done if more people participated.

What is even more difficult for me is the people who don't get involved but are vocal (or even complain) why the activities that they want to see happen aren't happening (typically social events) but want me to plan an event to their specifications. If I could clone myself, then I would, because then at least I could delegate to someone :-)

As we have said from Day 1 when we started BAVeg, this community depends on each of us. You get out what you put in. I have met so many amazing people along the way. I wish others would allow themselves to get involved so they could find out what they have been missing all along. You all should have received your Dec Bay Area Veg e-newsletter -- check out the first section -- we really DO make a difference, and all that was done with only a fraction of our group's membership. Just think if more people like YOU got involved.

http://www.bayareaveg.org/newsletters/BAV-News-Dec2007.htm

For anyone who is not on the Humane California list, signature gathering is experiencing a shortfall. "We currently have almost 100,000 signatures. Signatures are coming in, but we still need 550,000 more signatures to reach our goal of 650,000. We are behind and really need to pick up the pace! With just 12 weeks left in our signature collecting phase, we must make the time and not put off our signature gathering. If we want to make a difference in the lives of 20 million animals, we MUST greatly increase our efforts to obtain signatures per week. Please don’t let the animals down. The animals need YOU to get out there and gather signatures! They cannot collect the signatures nor win this protection for themselves. They NEED us."

http://humanecalifornia.org

So please -- get involved, there are so many ways to help animals -- whether it's veg leafleting to promote a plant-based diet, protesting cruelty at KFC, writing letters to help animals, gathering signatures for the historic ballot initiative -- just do it!

Cheers,

Tammy

12/18 Letter Writing Party - Oakland 12/29 Make 2008 The Year of ALL Animals! Leafleting & Dinner - SF 01/06 Food For Thought: For the Prevention of Cruelty: The History and Legacy of Animal Rights Activism -..

Will your favorites win? Vote today! [Voting ends 12/15]

http://bayareaveg.org/vote