IndiaDivine.org

North Shore Oahu, Hawaii

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thank you to everyone who sent me ideas for a vegan North Shore trip!

I wanted to share that I went to Down to Earth, a vegetarian health food store (body care, vitamin and bulk tea section too) in Honolulu after I got off the plane to buy groceries plus all the things like shampoo and sunscreen they had to throw out at the airport security because it was over 3 ounces. They had everything I needed and more. I also had lunch there. It was perfect! If you are landing in Honolulu this is a good spot to get grounded and well fed and stocked up on anything you might need health food related. It was definitely like being at home. P.S. They also have these stores elsewhere in Hawaii and on Oahu in Aeia.

Also, I went to a small health food store in Haleiwa on the North Shore called Celestial Foods. In the back is the most phenomenal vegetarian restaurant ever. Not vegan but they can make anything vegan. A small, funky & fun sort of hole in the wall joint with seriously the best food. It’s owned by a really cool guy named Nitai, he just purchased it I believe a few months ago and he is the chef.

They serve Taro burgers (the most amazing vegan burger I’ve ever had, it ties maybe for the vegan burger at Café La Vie in Santa Cruz, but really is even better – taro is the root that they use to make Poi). Falafels, Hummus Plates, Amazing smoothies and juices, all kinds of huge fresh salads, tempeh wraps, and a lot more. The food was always very fresh and beyond delicious. I ate there every day. The folks that work there are kind, personable and fun. You can watch them cook and prepare your food.

There is also a bulletin board at the store (celestial foods) where I saw all sorts of veg/enviro related stuff in the area.

Thank you again to everyone who sent in ideas.

~Cybrena

cybrena karo

s u s t a i n a b l e l i f e

green resource & information hub

advocacy, resources, consulting & mentoring

for a compassionate world

211 pearl street

santa cruz, ca. 95060

fax 831.536.1805

http://www.sustainablelife.org