IndiaDivine.org

PetSmart and Supreme Master of Golden Era

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I saw

this book as well, while at Golden Era, and it gave me the creeps. The book makes it clear that she buys

birds from pet stores and keeps birds in cages. Really sad.

Just today PETA has released an undercover

investigation that highlights how birds suffer in pet stores:

http://blog.peta.org/archives/2008/01/petsmart_cruelt_1.php

Amazing video footage.

On the one hand, I doubt that any of the

businesses we support are 100% perfect. Even the vegan ones. Golden Era serves vegan food and they

have helped give some meat-eaters a positive taste of veganism—that’s

worth a lot in my book.

On the other hand…yuck. I think I’ll be

avoiding them for a while. I don’t

want to see the book and I don’t want to give money to a “supreme

master” who advocates and supports “supreme cruelty.”

Alex

Does eating at Golden Era support the corrupt

pet bird trade?

I was at Golden Era last week, and I saw this book

there called ‘The Birds in My Life’ by Supreme Master

Ching Hai. In this book, she speaks form the birds’ perspectives and even

talks at one point about coming from a pet store. I asked the manager at Golden

Era where these birds come from, and she said that she buys them to keep at her

home. I asked where her home is, and she said that she didn’t know,

because The Supreme Master keeps moving but that she thinks she is in London

right now. This all seems strange to me. Does anyone know anything more about

this?

I've never been to Golden Era so I'm a little confused. Does this restaurant have live, caged birds? And what's this book you're talking about? And ... Supreme Master? Ick. Vegan or not, I don't like the sound of this place, at all! Can someone fill me in? Thanks - MoyaAlex Bury <alex wrote: I saw this book as well, while at Golden Era, and

it gave me the creeps. The book makes it clear that she buys birds from pet stores and keeps birds in cages. Really sad. Just today PETA has released an undercover investigation that highlights how birds suffer in pet stores: http://blog.peta.org/archives/2008/01/petsmart_cruelt_1.php Amazing video footage. On the one hand, I doubt that any of the businesses we support are 100% perfect. Even the vegan ones. Golden Era serves vegan food and they have helped give some meat-eaters a positive taste of veganism—that’s worth a lot in my book. On the other hand…yuck. I think I’ll be avoiding them for a while. I don’t want to see the book and I don’t want to give money to a “supreme master” who advocates and supports “supreme cruelty.” Alex Does eating at Golden Era support the corrupt pet bird trade? I was at Golden Era last week, and I saw this

book there called ‘The Birds in My Life’ by Supreme Master Ching Hai. In this book, she speaks form the birds’ perspectives and even talks at one point about coming from a pet store. I asked the manager at Golden Era where these birds come from, and she said that she buys them to keep at her home. I asked where her home is, and she said that she didn’t know, because The Supreme Master keeps moving but that she thinks she is in London right now. This all seems strange to me. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Our first duty to our little brothers and sisters, the animals, is never to do them any harm. Our responsibilities do not end there, however. We are obligated to help them whenever they require it. – Saint Francis

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

> Can someone fill me in?

Me too! I need more info! I can say that there are no live, caged birds at the restaurant itself ... only faux meats served on the plates ... For me, the real questions would be ...

1) Does Golden Era promote live, caged birds by promoting this book? (which I have not seen)

2) Does Golden Era financially support the Supreme Master, who in turn promotes live caged birds with this book?

If anyone has more information, please share. Note, there are other restaurants in the Bay Area that following the Supreme Master (like Vegetarian House in San Jose??).

I also have to point out that it is even more likely that eating veg at non-veg restaurants supports meat-eating or other habits we disagree with. I know, what a conundrum!

Tammy

A dead cow or sheep lying in the pasture is recognized as carrion. The same sort of carcass dressed and hung up in a butchers stall passes as food. - J. H. Kellogg

Upcoming BAVeg Events:

01/29 College leafletting - Academy of Art University, SF 02/01 BAVeg @ Speak Up for Animals! - SF 02/09 Have a Heart, Go Veg Leafleting & Dinner - SF 02/17 Coffee and Advocacy - SF 02/29 Veganauts: Leap Year Mission - SF 03/02 Food For Thought: Making Burros Fly: Cleveland Amory, Animal Rescue Pioneer - Mountain View Sign-up for our monthly newsletter to stay informed and active!

I don't know too much about Ching Hai, but I know that there are vegetarian restaurants all over the world that follow her "teachings". When I was in Chicago last year I went into one those restaurants and they had lots of her propaganda and promotional materials on display and for sale. I don't have an answer to the first question, but the answer to the second is very likely yes. As some have noted, there are several bay area restaurants affiliated with Ching Hai. Given that they promote the organization, it's likely that they also give financial support, just like any other restauranteur might donate to a religious organization that they're affiliated with. Also, the restaurants are listed on this

page on the Ching Hai website: http://www.godsdirectcontact.org.tw/eng1/food/restaurant/america/index.phphttp://www.godsdirectcontact.org is the main website for the organization. (Gotta love the domain name-I guess Dubya isn't the only one to whom god is talking.)For other interesting info on the organization and other "religious" groups, cults and movements, check out http://www.rickross.com. His page on Ching Hai is at http://www.rickross.com/groups/suma_ching.html. Lots of interesting reading on his entire group information database.Tammy, you're so right about the conundrum, not only when eating out

at restaurants, but any time we spend money. Do we really know who and what we're supporting? There are many cults that promote vegetarianism and open veg businesses, and by patronizing them we're supporting their activities, which in many cases are quite dangerous and destructive. While they appear to promote spirituality and compassion, what happens behind the scenes is often completely the opposite of what they preach.Hope this helps.Rob"Tammy, BAVeg" <t Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:37:43 PMRE: PetSmart and "Supreme Master" of Golden Era

Me too! I need more info! I can say that there are no live, caged birds at the restaurant itself ... only faux meats served on the plates ... For me, the real questions would be ...

1) Does Golden Era promote live, caged birds by promoting this book? (which I have not seen)

2) Does Golden Era financially support the Supreme Master, who in turn promotes live caged birds with this book?

If anyone has more information, please share. Note, there are other restaurants in the Bay Area that following the Supreme Master (like Vegetarian House in San Jose??).

I also have to point out that it is even more likely that eating veg at non-veg restaurants supports meat-eating or other habits we disagree with. I know, what a conundrum!

Tammy

A dead cow or sheep lying in the pasture is recognized as carrion. The same sort of carcass dressed and hung up in a butchers stall passes as food. - J. H. Kellogg

Upcoming BAVeg Events:

01/29 College leafletting - Academy of Art University, SF 02/01 BAVeg @ Speak Up for Animals! - SF 02/09 Have a Heart, Go Veg Leafleting & Dinner - SF 02/17 Coffee and Advocacy - SF 02/29 Veganauts: Leap Year Mission - SF 03/02 Food For Thought: Making Burros Fly: Cleveland Amory, Animal Rescue Pioneer - Mountain View Sign-up for our monthly newsletter to stay informed and active!

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

If only they used organic....

Most non organic soy in the U.S and corn is genetically modified, too...

There is hope if people will begin to awaken that spiritual part of themselves, that heartfelt knowledge that we are caretakers of this planet.

soy boy <soyboyincali"Tammy, BAVeg" <t; Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:27:02 PMRe: PetSmart and "Supreme Master" of Golden Era

I don't know too much about Ching Hai, but I know that there are vegetarian restaurants all over the world that follow her "teachings". When I was in Chicago last year I went into one those restaurants and they had lots of her propaganda and promotional materials on display and for sale. I don't have an answer to the first question, but the answer to the second is very likely yes. As some have noted, there are several bay area restaurants affiliated with Ching Hai. Given that they promote the organization, it's likely that they also give financial support, just like any other restauranteur might donate to a religious organization that they're affiliated with. Also, the restaurants are listed on this page on the Ching Hai website: http://www.godsdire

ctcontact. org.tw/eng1/ food/restaurant/ america/index. phphttp://www.godsdire ctcontact. org is the main website for the organization. (Gotta love the domain name-I guess Dubya isn't the only one to whom god is talking.)For other interesting info on the organization and other "religious" groups, cults and movements, check out http://www.rickross .com. His page on Ching Hai is at http://www.rickross .com/groups/ suma_ching. html. Lots of interesting reading on his entire group information database.Tammy, you're so right about the conundrum, not only when eating out at restaurants, but any time we spend money. Do we really know who and what we're supporting? There are

many cults that promote vegetarianism and open veg businesses, and by patronizing them we're supporting their activities, which in many cases are quite dangerous and destructive. While they appear to promote spirituality and compassion, what happens behind the scenes is often completely the opposite of what they preach.Hope this helps.Rob

"Tammy, BAVeg" <t (AT) bayareaveg (DOT) org>@ .comWednesday, January 23, 2008 5:37:43 PMRE: PetSmart and "Supreme Master" of Golden Era

Tammy

Upcoming BAVeg Events:

01/29 College leafletting - Academy of Art University, SF 02/01 BAVeg @ Speak Up for Animals! - SF 02/09 Have a Heart, Go Veg Leafleting & Dinner - SF 02/17 Coffee and Advocacy - SF 02/29 Veganauts: Leap Year Mission - SF 03/02 Food For Thought: Making Burros Fly: Cleveland Amory, Animal Rescue Pioneer - Mountain View Sign-up for our monthly newsletter to stay

informed and active!

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Hi Natasha,

Thank you, that might be helpful. I count myself as knowing where most

all the veg places are in the city (been living there since 1978), but

maybe there's some I'm not aware of. Maybe you could post it to the

list, so others could see it too?

That said, I don't know that anyplace is free of some kind of taint,

hypocrisy, controversy, etc. We just happened to have found out about

this one.

Another issue for me is, I am in a time crunch when I am commuting back

and forth across the bay. Because Golden Era and Golden Lotus are on

the bus and BART lines to and from work and home, they work best for

me. I don't have time to go to the Avenues, the Marina, financial

district, or other parts of the city. But I would be curious to see

your list nonetheless.

Has anyone tried the vege Thai place on Post Street that someone

listed, the one by Union Square, inside the Cafe Paris?

Janice

On Jan 24, 2008, at 9:03 PM, Natasha Prince wrote:

> Well, If you are about veg places in San Francisco, there are a ton

> that are accessible by public transportation. I should know because I

> don't have a car. If you would like a list of places email. I'll send

> you a couple of links.

> -Natasha

>

> On Jan 24, 2008 12:07 PM, bikegata <bikegata

> wrote:

>>  

>>

>> Thank you for this discussion on Golden Era. Because of a busy

>> schedule on both sides of the bay, I often don't have time to eat at

>> home, and Golden Era and Golden Lotus are two of the easiest places

>> to get to by public transportation, so I've been eating both places a

>> lot. Another issue about these places (not animal related, but human

>> related), is that a lesbian friend of mine told me a couple years

>> back she will not eat there because this 'supreme master's' writings

>> condemn homosexuality as unnatural. That aspect has always troubled

>> me too, but I've not bothered to look into it for myself. This bird

>> issue is equally as troubling. I'll really be in a fix if I have to

>> stop going, there really isn't much else around that's as veg-dining

>> friendly as these two places, that are easily accessible by public

>> transport. And what about New World Vegetarian over on 8th Street in

>> downtown Oakland? I'm pretty sure I've seen the 'supreme master's'

>> propaganda there too. Then again, how do we know what goes on at Sri

>> Chimnoy's Ananda Fuara? That's another faith-based operation. Good

>> food and centrally located. Non-religious vege restaurants aren't

>> immune from these issues, though. So I think I'm talking myself into

>> justifying continuing going to Golden Era and Lotus (and New World),

>> because there is no place that's going to be perfect. But I'm

>> interested to hear other comments.

>>

>> Janice Rothstein,

>> Oakland

Hi Janice and All,

Here's a list of all the vegetarian & vegan restaurants currently in

San Francisco from www.bayareaveg.org/ug/:

http://www.bayareaveg.org/ug/index.htm?city=105 & cat=1 & veg=2 & submit=Search & search\

_script=%2Fug%2Findex.htm

You can conduct searches for other areas, types of businesses, etc. parameters.

Best wishes. Lisa

On 1/24/08, Janice Rothstein <bikegata wrote:

>

> Hi Natasha,

>

> Thank you, that might be helpful. I count myself as knowing where most

> all the veg places are in the city (been living there since 1978), but

> maybe there's some I'm not aware of. Maybe you could post it to the

> list, so others could see it too?

Natasha & Janice and All,

And see in Oakland so, from the same site, here are the East Bay

vegetarian and vegan restaurants:

http://www.bayareaveg.org/ug/index.htm?city=103 & cat=1 & veg=2 & submit=Search & search\

_script=%2Fug%2Findex.htm

This site is a great resource; it does keep updating.

Best wishes. Lisa

On 1/24/08, Janice Rothstein <bikegata wrote:

>

> Hi Natasha,

>

> Thank you, that might be helpful. I count myself as knowing where most

> all the veg places are in the city (been living there since 1978), but

> maybe there's some I'm not aware of. Maybe you could post it to the

> list, so others could see it too? > Janice