IndiaDivine.org

Salmonella in tomatoes - what about other veges??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

What scares me about this e. coli contamination discussed in that article from chron.com, is the question that pops into my head - how do we know if other produce isn't also being contaminated? It can't just be tomatoes.

On a slightly different but related topic, I've been meaning to ask if anyone has noticed a strange taste in organic-labelled gaia or honeydew melons. I've been buying Callifornia and/or Mexico origin organic melons the last couple of weeks, and my boyfriend and I have noticed some of them have a strange taste. He says it tastes like peroxide to him. To me it smells like magic marker. I've eaten a couple of these (I'm crazy for melon for breakfast every morning, I eat an entire one each morning), and haven't gotten sick off it. I've only started eating melon in the last year or so, so I'm not that familiar with melons. Is this a normal smell? If it goes down and stays down ok, should I just ignore the smell?

Thanks for any input.

Janice R.

Oakland

Guest guest

that's a good point. along those lines, would simply cooking _all_ of our veggies be sufficient to rid them of salmonella?

surely there's got to be some way of ensuring that our veg food is safe to eat, yes?

i never bothered to look into how to rid "food" of salmonella, since i don't eat those "foods." or...at least when it didn't also apply to veggies!

will

======================

Luna needs to be adopted before Friday, June 27th!:

www.adoptluna.blogspot.com

======================

Janice Rothstein <bikegata Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:03:37 PM Salmonella in tomatoes - what about other veges??

What scares me about this e. coli contamination discussed in that article from chron.com, is the question that pops into my head - how do we know if other produce isn't also being contaminated? It can't just be tomatoes.

On a slightly different but related topic, I've been meaning to ask if anyone has noticed a strange taste in organic-labelled gaia or honeydew melons. I've been buying Callifornia and/or Mexico origin organic melons the last couple of weeks, and my boyfriend and I have noticed some of them have a strange taste. He says it tastes like peroxide to him. To me it smells like magic marker. I've eaten a couple of these (I'm crazy for melon for breakfast every morning, I eat an entire one each morning), and haven't gotten sick off it. I've only started eating melon in the last year or so, so I'm not that familiar with melons. Is this a normal smell? If it goes down and stays down ok, should I just ignore the smell?

Thanks for any input.

Janice R.

Oakland

Guest guest

Ah, I forgot to mention, I don't cook, I eat my veges/fruits raw, not cooked.JaniceOn Jun 19, 2008, at 10:48 PM, William Beazley wrote:that's a good point. along those lines, would simply cooking _all_ of our veggies be sufficient to rid them of salmonella? surely there's got to be some way of ensuring that our veg food is safe to eat, yes? i never bothered to look into how to rid "food" of salmonella, since i don't eat those "foods." or...at least when it didn't also apply to veggies! will ======================Luna needs to be adopted before Friday, June 27th!: www.adoptluna.blogspot.com====================== ----- Original Message ----Janice Rothstein <bikegata Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:03:37 PM Salmonella in tomatoes - what about other veges??What scares me about this e. coli contamination discussed in that article fromchron.com, is the question that pops into my head - how do we know if other produce isn't also being contaminated? It can't just be tomatoes. On a slightly different but related topic, I've been meaning to ask if anyone has noticed a strange taste in organic-labelled gaia or honeydew melons. I've been buying Callifornia and/or Mexico origin organic melons the last couple of weeks, and my boyfriend and I have noticed some of them have a strange taste. He says it tastes like peroxide to him. To me it smells like magic marker. I've eaten a couple of these (I'm crazy for melon for breakfast every morning, I eat an entire one each morning), and haven't gotten sick off it. I've only started eating melon in the last year or so, so I'm not that familiar with melons. Is this a normal smell? If it goes down and stays down ok, should I just ignore the smell? Thanks for any input. Janice R.Oakland

Guest guest

I saw in the news, some folks in Mexico are used to washing their

vegetables in clorine water since most of their veggies are grown with

sewage water. They say they dont' problems with ecoli, etc.. In

fact, they are having no problems eating the Mexican grown prime

tomatoes we are rejecting.

(they also don't spend the money like we do to keep track hospital visits)

Peroxide is a more expensive disinfectant, maybe it was rinsed with

peroxide water before it was sold. It's an extra expensive step

someone took to insure the outside of your melon is clean.

As a precaution, rinse your melons before eating it.

--

To solve above problem grow your own veggies! If you live in the

city, you can do window sill, planter boxes, trellis.... etc..

TO me, it's so much cheaper to buy than to grow my food. As a single

person, I don't need too much food.

winnie

, " Janice Rothstein " <bikegata wrote:

>

> What scares me about this e. coli contamination discussed in that

article

> from chron.com, is the question that pops into my head - how do we

know if

> other produce isn't also being contaminated? It can't just be tomatoes.

>

>

Guest guest

This issue was addressed in the weekly news I receive with my boxes of organic produce from the CSA I belong to. The problem is the industrialization of agriculture. If one tomato is contaminated, it can contaminate other tomatoes at the packing house. It can contaminate the packing house equipment and/or the rinse bath water. Because packing houses process tomatoes from dozens of sources, it is very difficult to track down the source of the contamination. The solution is to return to smaller scale agriculture. The farmers' markets are an excellent way to support this - you know and meet the people who grow your food. Also, joining a CSA - community supported agriculture - insures that you know where your food comes from.

Mary Anne

From: w_setoDate: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:07:25 +0000 Re: Salmonella in tomatoes - what about other veges??

I saw in the news, some folks in Mexico are used to washing theirvegetables in clorine water since most of their veggies are grown withsewage water. They say they dont' problems with ecoli, etc.. Infact, they are having no problems eating the Mexican grown primetomatoes we are rejecting.(they also don't spend the money like we do to keep track hospital visits)Peroxide is a more expensive disinfectant, maybe it was rinsed withperoxide water before it was sold. It's an extra expensive stepsomeone took to insure the outside of your melon is clean.As a precaution, rinse your melons before eating it.--To solve above problem grow your own veggies! If you live in thecity, you can do window sill, planter boxes, trellis.... etc..TO me, it's so much cheaper to buy than to grow my food. As a singleperson, I don't need too much food. winnie , "Janice Rothstein" <bikegata wrote:>> What scares me about this e. coli contamination discussed in thatarticle> from chron.com, is the question that pops into my head - how do weknow if> other produce isn't also being contaminated? It can't just be tomatoes.> > The i’m Talkathon starts 6/24/08.  For now, give amongst yourselves. Learn More

Guest guest

Isn't it ironic that when VEGETABLES (spinach, tomatoes, etc) get contanimated, it's headline news and everyone is talking about it. People actually shun those foods. Yet, when it comes to animal-based foods, it doesn't seem as if people will as readily stop eating them. This is just my own opinion based on comments that (non-veg) family and co-workers have made in recent days ...

Tammy

Bay Area Vegetarianswww.BayAreaVeg.org