IndiaDivine.org

Hydroponic Meat for a Sustainable Planet Earth

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear San Francisco Bay Area Vegetarians,

I would like to rally support from the

local San Francisco Bay Area Vegetarian community for an effort that has the

potential to end the vast majority of animal suffering and address some of the

most critical environmental issues we face today.

The effort I am referring to concerns

the research and development of cruelty-free hydroponic or "in vitro" meat as

an ethical and responsible alternative to animal flesh for human consumption.

Similar in concept to soil-free hydroponic vegetable cultivation, hydroponic

meat is grown without the body of the animal.

My name is Nick Genovese and I am a

doctoral student aiming to conduct hydroponic meat research during my

postdoctoral term. There are currently no funded hydroponic meat research and

development programs in the United States. I intend to change that.

To

address this issue, I've entered a project titled " Hydroponic Meat for a

Sustainable Planet Earth " in the American Express members project contest.

See link for project description:

http://www.membersproject.com/project/view/H6PLUB

Projects are eligible for $100K to $1.5M

in funding. Top nominated projects will be selected by an advisory committee

for award candidacy. The top five projects will be awarded funding

according to popular vote. I have selected New-harvest.org as the recipient

organization in the event that this project is awarded funding.

If you would like to show your support,

there are several ways:

1. nominate this project

2. post a comment on the site

3. please forward this notice to others

who would be interested in supporting this idea.

Projects may be nominated through August

31st.

The success of this project depends upon

funding, and funding will only be possible with the collective support of the

compassionate community.

Though you and I may choose to live

vegetarian lifestyles, in actuality, overall meat consumption in the United

States and in developing countries (e.g. China) is on the rise. According to a

United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization report, this trend is

anticipated to continue into the future. Hydroponic meat produced and marketed

economically at a commercial scale possesses the potential to undermine the

demand for traditional meat as an equivalent commodity in a capitalist economy,

regardless of the values of the consumer. If realized, hydroponic meat will be

the most realistic and effective approach to ending the majority of animal

suffering and restoring our environment.

Please join me and show your support for

this project. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to write and I

will be happy to respond.

Thank you for your time and

consideration.

Sincerely,

Nick Genovese

genoven

P.S. The renowned primatologist,

environmentalist and vegetarian Jane Goodall is on the AmEx members project

Advisory Panel responsible for advancing 25 of the top community supported

projects to the final voting rounds. With her insight and your participation, I

am confident that we will have a chance to profoundly change the future.

For more information about hydroponic

(in vitro) meat:

www.whyculturedmeat.org

www.new-harvest.org

www.invitromeat.org

www.futurefood.org

Yesterday, I sent out a notice to the SFBAVEG list providing members an opportunity to support a hydroponic

meat research initiative to create an alternative to flesh

originating from slaughtered animals for consumption by non-vegetarians.

As this effort has been met with controversy, I have

established a thread in the SFBAVEG discussion forum titled " Hydroponic Meat discussion thread " for the SFBAVEG community to express their support or concerns in

a constructive discussion.Regards,Nick

Hello,As a vegan I find this email and idea of in-vitro meat extremely offensive especially ok BAVeg list. I am surprised that somebody that considers themselves a vegetarian would want to have anything to do with this. That said, PETA and other groups support kfc in canada.

Please join me in protesting research In meat consumption.AndyOn Aug 21, 2008, at 1:36 PM, " Nicholas Genovese " <genoven wrote:

Dear San Francisco Bay Area Vegetarians, I would like to rally support from the

most critical environmental issues we face today...--http://legoandy.com -o- http://capitalmtb.org

Support my biking outreach, such as 150 mile bike ride to fight MS:http://legoandy.com/Words/bike-rides-2008/

For those wishing to understand the ethical, environmental and philosophical reasons why many vegan advocates support the development of lab-grown meat, please see the feature article I wrote for VegNews magazine in March 2006:

iMeat: How Lab-Grown Meat Could Revolutionize Vegetarianism and the WorldSincerely,Mat Thomaswww.animalrighter.org

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Andy <vegan wrote:

Hello,As a vegan I find this email and idea of in-vitro meat extremely offensive especially ok BAVeg list. I am surprised that somebody that considers themselves a vegetarian would want to have anything to do with this. That said, PETA and other groups support kfc in canada.

Please join me in protesting research In meat consumption.AndyOn Aug 21, 2008, at 1:36 PM, " Nicholas Genovese " <genoven wrote:

I would like to rally support from the

most critical environmental issues we face today...--http://legoandy.com -o- http://capitalmtb.org

Support my biking outreach, such as 150 mile bike ride to fight MS:http://legoandy.com/Words/bike-rides-2008/

Having clicked the link and reading the article written by Mat, I am so relieved and happy to be where I am as far as what I choose to eat. As a vegetarian who occasionally uses some dairy products, this article has made me renew my vow to become vegan and I have never felt better or more sure about it. Thanks Mat for making my path become so much clearer.

Dallas

-------------- Original message from "Mat Thomas" <ma>: --------------

For those wishing to understand the ethical, environmental and philosophical reasons why many vegan advocates support the development of lab-grown meat, please see the feature article I wrote for VegNews magazine in March 2006:iMeat: How Lab-Grown Meat Could Revolutionize Vegetarianism and the WorldSincerely,Mat Thomaswww.animalrighter.org

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Andy <vegan (AT) legoandy (DOT) com> wrote:

Hello,

As a vegan I find this email and idea of in-vitro meat extremely offensive especially ok BAVeg list. I am surprised that somebody that considers themselves a vegetarian would want to have anything to do with this. That said, PETA and other groups support kfc in canada.

Please join me in protesting research In meat consumption.

Andy

On Aug 21, 2008, at 1:36 PM, "Nicholas Genovese" <genoven > wrote:

I would like to rally support from the local San Francisco Bay Area Vegetarian community for an effort that has the potential to end the vast majority of animal suffering and address some of the most critical environmental issues we face today...--http://legoandy.com -o- http://capitalmtb.orgSupport my biking outreach, such as 150 mile bike ride to fight MS:http://legoandy.com/Words/bike-rides-2008/

Hi all

I wanted to respond to this, as I either read this wrong, or if I read it correctly, then it's quite ironic, actually.

Andy wrote:

"As a vegan I find this email and idea of in-vitro meat extremely offensive"

and in his signature he said

" Support my biking outreach, such as 150 mile bike ride to fight MS:http://legoandy.com/Words/bike-rides-2008/ "

His biking outreach supports the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Northern California Chapter, whose contact links all have the domain "nmss.org" . According to the Humane Seal website, NMSS is a charity that funds animal experiments . So does this mean that Andy, who is a vegan, is then fundraising for a charity that funds animal testing ?

Evidently we (those on the list, which range from aspiring vegetarians to vegan activists) all don't agree about hydroponic meat, but given that over an astronomical number of animals suffer and die for the pleasured palates of humans, I do not think it should be summarily dismissed by the veg community. I would not eat vegan food at KFC or Burger King, nor would I eat hydroponic meat. However, I would not be actively working against vegan food at fast food restaurants or opposing hydroponic meat. I would continue with what I think is the best way to promote veganism - educate others by leafleting the public. (Click here for more info.)

List Posting Guidelines: I would like to give a general reminder that we have guidelines against promoting activites or events that harm animals. This definitely includes promoting fundraisers for organizations that fund animal research.

Thanks

Tammy

Upcoming BAVeg Events:

09/06 Grass-and-Lake Vegan Food Party - Lake Temescal (Oakland) 09/14 Outreach at Solano Stroll - Albany 09/14 Food For Thought: Specious Science: How Genetics and Evolution Reveal Why Medical Research on Anima.. 09/20 Have a Heart, Go Veg Leafleting & Lunch - SF Sign-up for our monthly newsletter to stay informed and active!

Dear San Francisco Bay Area Vegetarians,I have had several requests for the link to the Hydroponic Meat discussion thread and am posting it here:http://www.bayareaveg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3834#3834

Regards,NickOn Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Tammy, BAVeg <t wrote:

Hi all

I wanted to respond to this, as I either read this wrong, or if I read it correctly, then it's quite ironic, actually.

Andy wrote:

" As a vegan I find this email and idea of in-vitro meat extremely offensive "

" Support my biking outreach, such as 150 mile bike ride to fight MS:http://legoandy.com/Words/bike-rides-2008/ "

His biking outreach supports the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Northern California Chapter, whose contact links all have the domain " nmss.org " . According to the Humane Seal website, NMSS is a charity that funds animal experiments . So does this mean that Andy, who is a vegan, is then fundraising for a charity that funds animal testing ?

Evidently we (those on the list, which range from aspiring vegetarians to vegan activists) all don't agree about hydroponic meat, but given that over an astronomical number of animals suffer and die for the pleasured palates of humans, I do not think it should be summarily dismissed by the veg community. I would not eat vegan food at KFC or Burger King, nor would I eat hydroponic meat. However, I would not be actively working against vegan food at fast food restaurants or opposing hydroponic meat. I would continue with what I think is the best way to promote veganism - educate others by leafleting the public. (Click here for more info.)

List Posting Guidelines: I would like to give a general reminder that we have guidelines against promoting activites or events that harm animals. This definitely includes promoting fundraisers for organizations that fund animal research.

Thanks

Tammy

Upcoming BAVeg Events:

09/06 Grass-and-Lake Vegan Food Party - Lake Temescal (Oakland)

09/14 Outreach at Solano Stroll - Albany

09/14 Food For Thought: Specious Science: How Genetics and Evolution Reveal Why Medical Research on Anima..

09/20 Have a Heart, Go Veg Leafleting & Lunch - SF

Sign-up for our monthly newsletter to stay informed and active!

Given the fact that worldwide meat consumption has increased dramatically in my lifetime, (I believe it is something like 5 times as much) and is continuing to increase, I welcome anything that will alleviate the suffering of the billions of animals fated to be raised for food. In fact, it seems to me that if in vitro meat can be successfully developed and made to taste the same as meat from animals, it is the best hope that the animals have. Isn't that what veganism is about - sparing animals and reducing suffering?

Nettie Schwager

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Tammy, BAVeg <t wrote:

Hi all

Andy wrote:

" As a vegan I find this email and idea of in-vitro meat extremely offensive "

His biking outreach supports the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Northern California Chapter, whose contact links all have the domain " nmss.org " . According to the Humane Seal website, NMSS is a charity that funds animal experiments . So does this mean that Andy, who is a vegan, is then fundraising for a charity that funds animal testing ?

Thanks

Tammy

Upcoming BAVeg Events:

09/06 Grass-and-Lake Vegan Food Party - Lake Temescal (Oakland)

09/14 Outreach at Solano Stroll - Albany

09/14 Food For Thought: Specious Science: How Genetics and Evolution Reveal Why Medical Research on Anima..

09/20 Have a Heart, Go Veg Leafleting & Lunch - SF

Sign-up for our monthly newsletter to stay informed and active!

-- " The thinking (person) must oppose all cruel customs, no matter how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo. When we have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury into the life of another. "

Albert Schweitzer

You may be surprised to learn that there is disagreement over what

veganism is about! While the majority of the animal welfare movement

is inspired from Peter Singer's framework of calculating the relative

suffering of others, a growing number of vegans see veganism as a

response to the oppression of all animals, human and non-human. This

view of veganism includes a deep understanding of power and privilege

and integrates anti-speciesism with anti-classism, anti-racism,

anti-sexism, anti-homophobia, anti-ableism and a host of other,

equally important forms of oppression. I believe the growth of this

more holistic view of veganism is one of the most exciting and

important developments in veganism in recent memory.

For a wonderful overview of this emerging view of veganism, see:

http://theveganideal.blogspot.com/

Warmly,

Victor

, " Nettie Schwager " <nettierose wrote:

>

> Given the fact that worldwide meat consumption has increased

dramatically in

> my lifetime, (I believe it is something like 5 times as much) and is

> continuing to increase, I welcome anything that will alleviate the

suffering

> of the billions of animals fated to be raised for food. In fact, it

seems to

> me that if in vitro meat can be successfully developed and made to

taste the

> same as meat from animals, it is the best hope that the animals

have. Isn't

> that what veganism is about - sparing animals and reducing suffering?

>

> Nettie Schwager

I'll be sure to read the link you posted.

I was focused on those other movements for years before I ever heard the word vegan.

However, when I started to learn about nh animal issues, I understood than animals

are the most oppressed beings on earth and that this issue is the key issue.

It is all about power - we do what we do to animals because we have the power to do so

and they are powerless against us, which is what makes it so unjust and horrible. I believe a vegan

world would be a world without exploitation or cruelty. A vegan world is the highest aspiration.

To me veganism means compassion to all beings: human and non human animals. I focus on

animals because they suffer beyond comprehension and it is their suffering that tugs at my heart and commands my energy and committment and attention.

Nettie

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM, vytsou <vytsou wrote:

You may be surprised to learn that there is disagreement over whatveganism is about! While the majority of the animal welfare movementis inspired from Peter Singer's framework of calculating the relative

suffering of others, a growing number of vegans see veganism as aresponse to the oppression of all animals, human and non-human. Thisview of veganism includes a deep understanding of power and privilegeand integrates anti-speciesism with anti-classism, anti-racism,

anti-sexism, anti-homophobia, anti-ableism and a host of other,equally important forms of oppression. I believe the growth of thismore holistic view of veganism is one of the most exciting andimportant developments in veganism in recent memory.

For a wonderful overview of this emerging view of veganism, see:http://theveganideal.blogspot.com/Warmly,Victor , " Nettie Schwager " <nettierose wrote:>> Given the fact that worldwide meat consumption has increased

dramatically in> my lifetime, (I believe it is something like 5 times as much) and is> continuing to increase, I welcome anything that will alleviate thesuffering> of the billions of animals fated to be raised for food. In fact, it

seems to> me that if in vitro meat can be successfully developed and made totaste the> same as meat from animals, it is the best hope that the animalshave. Isn't> that what veganism is about - sparing animals and reducing suffering?

> > Nettie Schwager

-- " The thinking (person) must oppose all cruel customs, no matter how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo. When we have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury into the life of another. "

Albert Schweitzer