and who will therefore at least sympathize with the animal rights

movement, some (like myself) who draw the line at insects, and will

therefore allow products such as honey, and some who are simply here

for the diet.

Who exactly are you seeking to distinguish from whom, and who would

retain the label, vegan?

--

David Benfell <dbenfell

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Nettie! That was very beautifully written. I think you're right: it is all about power. The oppression of speciesism and every other -ism comes directly from a power imbalance and this is the basic understanding that an anti-oppression view of veganism brings to the table. From this understanding, it follows that, if we wish to counter oppression, we can choose to challenge the system of domination while rejecting the privilege that comes from it. By ending oppression, one also ends the exploitation, suffering and cruelty that are a consequence of that oppression. Let's bring about that vegan world!As Tammy pointed out, there are other viewpoints on veganism as well! I'm not comfortable giving anybody authority in saying what veganism 'is,' but

as a historical note, in the Vegan Society newsletter Tammy quoted, Donald Watson never defines vegan or veganism, though he does define a vegan diet as one excluding meat, dairy and eggs. At one point, the Vegan Society wanted to clarify exactly what veganism (with an ism) meant, so they wrote:---http://www.ivu.org/history/world-forum/1951vegan.htmlIf, for example, the vegan principle is applied to diet, it can at once be seen why it must be vegetarian in the strictest sense and why it cannot contain any foods derived from animals. One may become a vegetarian for a variety of reasons - humanitarian, health, or mere preference for such a diet; The principle is a smatter of personal feeling, and varies accordingly. Veganism, however, is a principle - that man has no right to exploit the creatures for his own ends - and no variation occurs. Vegan diet is therefore derived entirely from "fruits, nuts, vegetables, grains and other wholesome

non-animal products," and excludes "flesh, fish, fowl, eggs, honey and animal milk and its derivatives.''---I suggest that there are a multiplicity of understandings of veganism today. Since definitions are true by mutual agreement, I think that over time, as we vegans better understand veganism, the various meanings of veganism may become clearer. I suggest we live with the ambiguity (possibly clarifying via 'health vegan,' 'environmental vegan,' 'act-utilitarian vegan,' 'anti-oppression vegan,' etc.) while we collectively explore the meaning of veganism.I found a helpful discussion of the historical evolution of Western veganism here:http://theveganideal.blogspot.com/2008/06/making-veganism-whole-again.htmlThe topic of what veganism means is very rich and I welcome discussion (off-list) with anybody who is interested in the topic.Warmly,VictorNettie Schwager <nettierosevytsou <vytsouCc: Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:59:42 PMRe: Re: Hydroponic Meat for a Sustainable Planet Earth

I'll be sure to read the link you posted.

I was focused on those other movements for years before I ever heard the word vegan.

However, when I started to learn about nh animal issues, I understood than animals

are the most oppressed beings on earth and that this issue is the key issue.

It is all about power - we do what we do to animals because we have the power to do so

and they are powerless against us, which is what makes it so unjust and horrible. I believe a vegan

world would be a world without exploitation or cruelty. A vegan world is the highest aspiration.

To me veganism means compassion to all beings: human and non human animals. I focus on

animals because they suffer beyond comprehension and it is their suffering that tugs at my heart and commands my energy and committment and attention.

Nettie

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM, vytsou <vytsou wrote:

You may be surprised to learn that there is disagreement over whatveganism is about! While the majority of the animal welfare movementis inspired from Peter Singer's framework of calculating the relative

suffering of others, a growing number of vegans see veganism as aresponse to the oppression of all animals, human and non-human. Thisview of veganism includes a deep understanding of power and privilegeand integrates anti-speciesism with anti-classism, anti-racism,

anti-sexism, anti-homophobia, anti-ableism and a host of other,equally important forms of oppression. I believe the growth of thismore holistic view of veganism is one of the most exciting andimportant developments in veganism in recent memory.

For a wonderful overview of this emerging view of veganism, see:http://theveganideal.blogspot.com/Warmly,Victor , "Nettie Schwager" <nettierose wrote:>> Given the fact that worldwide meat consumption has increased

dramatically in> my lifetime, (I believe it is something like 5 times as much) and is> continuing to increase, I welcome anything that will alleviate thesuffering> of the billions of animals fated to be raised for food. In fact, it

seems to> me that if in vitro meat can be successfully developed and made totaste the> same as meat from animals, it is the best hope that the animalshave. Isn't> that what veganism is about - sparing animals and reducing suffering?

> > Nettie Schwager

-- "The thinking (person) must oppose all cruel customs, no matter how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo. When we have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury into the life of another."

Albert Schweitzer